• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DL Depth

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone else noticed that beyond Justin Smith, Soap, and McDonald we literally have nothing? Sure we have RJF and also Ian Williams and Dobbs who look promising, but really no proven players. I would think this might be an area we address after teams make their 53 man roster cuts.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think they might roll with that going into this year mainly because I think they would rather sacrifice some experience on the DL this season if they feel Williams and Dobbs have bright futures.

I mean RJF can play any of the positions as can Soap so we do have some flexibility there and if anyone goes on the IR they can always sign someone to fill their shoes if they aren't comfortable with the rookies there.

Also I have a feeling Tukuafu makes it and we might go a little heavy on DL this year.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they might roll with that going into this year mainly because I think they would rather sacrifice some experience on the DL this season if they feel Williams and Dobbs have bright futures.

I mean RJF can play any of the positions as can Soap so we do have some flexibility there and if anyone goes on the IR they can always sign someone to fill their shoes if they aren't comfortable with the rookies there.

Also I have a feeling Tukuafu makes it and we might go a little heavy on DL this year.

Still, that is a lot of unproven players. If Smith, McDonald, or Soap go down, then i assume RJF steps up, but i'm still a little worried.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good proven players don't go to teams looking for depth, they want to start. If a proven player is looking to just be signed for depth then they are typically bad. You build depth through the draft, rounds 4-7. This isn't the pre cap league where we could just throw money at players and they wanted to come here to have a chance at a ring.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Still, that is a lot of unproven players. If Smith, McDonald, or Soap go down, then i assume RJF steps up, but i'm still a little worried.

Just curious on how you define unproven... As I recall, RJF got plenty of time with in the DL rotation last year giving the coaching staff a lot of materialsto properly evaluate him...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious on how you define unproven... As I recall, RJF got plenty of time with in the DL rotation last year giving the coaching staff a lot of materialsto properly evaluate him...

I wasn't really talking about RJF. The good thing about RJF is if any of the O-line go down Soap can always take over at either DE spot and RJF could move to Nose. I'm just not comfortable with our DE depth in particular. Ian Williams and Dobbs are both UDFA's who have played in 2 pre season games. We could be over evaluating this entirely.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good proven players don't go to teams looking for depth, they want to start. If a proven player is looking to just be signed for depth then they are typically bad. You build depth through the draft, rounds 4-7. This isn't the pre cap league where we could just throw money at players and they wanted to come here to have a chance at a ring.

Yes and no. McDonald was a very productive back up for us the past 2 seasons. The Eagles are another team that has tons of depth on their DL. Trent Cole, Babin, Graham, and J. Parker are 4 DE's all capable of starting roles. It isn't uncommon to have at least 1 guy that could fill and start when the team needs them to. A very similar situation is with the Giants who have Tuck, Kiwi, JPP, and Osi. Another example this year would be the Lions who have Suh, Fairley, and Corey Williams. The Steelers Have solid back ups (IMO) for all 3 of their starters in Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, and Chris Hoke.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes and no. McDonald was a very productive back up for us the past 2 seasons. The Eagles are another team that has tons of depth on their DL. Trent Cole, Babin, Graham, and J. Parker are 4 DE's all capable of starting roles. It isn't uncommon to have at least 1 guy that could fill and start when the team needs them to. A very similar situation is with the Giants who have Tuck, Kiwi, JPP, and Osi. Another example this year would be the Lions who have Suh, Fairley, and Corey Williams. The Steelers Have solid back ups (IMO) for all 3 of their starters in Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, and Chris Hoke.

2 things I think you should consider. One is that most of the player you mentioned are drafted by their repective teams you mentioned and developed. Two is that both the Giants and Eagles play 4-3 instead of 3-4, therefore during drafts they would target DL as a priority rather than LB's.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things I think you should consider. One is that most of the player you mentioned are drafted by their repective teams you mentioned and developed. Two is that both the Giants and Eagles play 4-3 instead of 3-4, therefore during drafts they would target DL as a priority rather than LB's.

Absolutely, but we only have 3 OLB's who are definitely going to make the team. It's not like we are stacked in that area by any means. Our front 7 in general is lacking depth. It's still important to have guys in there that can rotate in for those guys for any different number of circumstances.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily think for depth purposes on our 3-4 DL, that a proven Vet is a must have. Definitely would agree for starters role but we have that filled up.

RJF is someone who can fill either NT/DE spot as well be a solid starter covering for an injured guy.

Dobbs has some good looking potential(that i'm glad i'm not the only one noticing) so him playing a backup role is good for his growth and maybe, just maybe we hit a gem with him.

IW is grooming to be a NT for us, hopefully someon who can impact the game down the road, so having behind is good for us. I'm not sure if the scheme for the DL is complex enough to warrant proven players...

Again this is for depth roles and not starters.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, but we only have 3 OLB's who are definitely going to make the team. It's not like we are stacked in that area by any means. Our front 7 in general is lacking depth. It's still important to have guys in there that can rotate in for those guys for any different number of circumstances.

Another one to keep in mind, IMO, is that Aldon who is to be our pass rushing OLB would sometimes play the DE when we go 4 man in the trenches. So he serves as our OLB/DE...

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So let me reverse the question a little, you feel that the depth in both DL nad OLB lack proven experience, so how can you develop the younger guys and also stack the depth charts with experienced guys and still have only 53 men in the roster? It's a balancing act that the coaching staff has to make every time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Has anyone else noticed that beyond Justin Smith, Soap, and McDonald we literally have nothing? Sure we have RJF and also Ian Williams and Dobbs who look promising, but really no proven players. I would think this might be an area we address after teams make their 53 man roster cuts.

yes, shouldn't be a question they'll keep tabs on the cut 'wire'? they don't have to sign someone, but certainly do due diligence. i'd guess there will be experienced players we'd consider as back-ups?

yes, it'll be better if Ian or Dobbs (assuming they make the team) had more experience. but IF the coaches feel their ceiling is too high, i'd go with them as our back-ups.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kentwan Balmer just became available, we better sign him fast to improve our DL depth!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me reverse the question a little, you feel that the depth in both DL nad OLB lack proven experience, so how can you develop the younger guys and also stack the depth charts with experienced guys and still have only 53 men in the roster? It's a balancing act that the coaching staff has to make every time.

I feel that we could use another guy on the DL that could possibly play multiple positions, but at least DE. I have no problem with Ian Williams and RJF as our back up NT's and i'm happy with the way Dobbs is progressing, but i just feel like we could add another guy for not only competition, but in case on injury and keeping the line fresh. On the contrary, there isn't a specific guy out there that i would want right now, but i'm sure once we get closer to the 53 man rosters some potential suitors may come along. The D-line is an area that hasn't really been addressed besides the RJF pick, but that was in the 7th round.

Yes, it is the coaches job to develop younger guys and also find veterans. Don't forget about the practice squad which Dobbs and Ian Williams are both eligible for as long as they clear waivers. Justin Smith isn't getting any younger and i've never really been sold on Soap personally, but i feel like NT is a better position for him.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentwan Balmer just became available, we better sign him fast to improve our DL depth!

I knew someone was going to pull that shit. I didn't think it would be you tho maniax :pout:

I never wanted him to begin with.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not?! He's a "vet." :ss:

I never listed a particular player. Definitely not what we need right now. He couldn't even fit in with our "Hit people in the mouf!" system.