• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Disturbance in the Force

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF and all MBBRL members:

Have I found a loophole for Treff to save face? Perhaps.

I don't want to rewrite what Treff, Lefty and others may have expressed about a possible C league. But this seems to have gained a lot of traction very quickly from both sides - becoming emotional for everyone I might add.

While some of the original MBBRL members refer to it as "tradition" a term that may be more appropriate is "history." We may point to 2011 as the official "historical" start of the MBBRL back on the CBS message boards, but it was actually years in the making prior to that monumental year.

We all knew of each other and knew that it would be a competitive, active league. At times, we had our differences. But we overcame them. I'm hoping this is another one of those times. So here goes...

First off, one of the top-3 stipulations to be awarded an invite was to post on the FF message board itself.

MBBRL Rules Revisited
  • First, don't abandon your team
  • Second, keep posting
  • Third, no douchey plays
As some have pointed out, even some current MBBRL members have slipped in this regard. But more pointedly to the fallout at hand, many of the late nominees do not post at all on the SportsHoopla Fantasy Football Message Board. In this fact alone, there are not enough nominees for a C.

Second, there is a clause that gives the original members more authority. Per Wil:

As to who votes on who gets in, regardless of the situation... I think everybody in the A and B leagues should vote, but votes should get multiplied by the number of years in the league. (Those here the longest have the most at stake.)

Since this is the case, the current 18-10 vote needs to be revised. For one, the nominees themselves do not get a vote on their own fate. That eliminates 6 "yes" votes.

15780795_1338237049574238_2097787858108967419_n.jpg

Next, if votes "get multiplied by the number of years in the league" then (I may need help with the math), but just calculating 6 years times Treff, Sam, Lefty, Fuzz, and Foot is 30 "no" votes. (Bar & Bandit may have 3 or 4 years between them - each.)

I might add that this whole situation has me so conflicted, I would be willing to change my vote to "no" just to help bring balance back to the league again. And while I agree with Wil that a C league would be good in the long run, it should clearly not be rushed into haphazardly. And this is about as haphazardly as it gets.

Synopsis
Based on the well-established historical criteria to establish a C league, (1) we do not have a majority of nominees that meet that standard, and (2), if we were to mathematically tally the proper voting years, the C league would not pass.

Therefore, we should no longer have an issue. And balance can be properly restored to the MBBRL universe.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything stated here.

I am strongly in the idea of adding a C league, but it needs to be done correctly and we need to have the people for it. My hope is that all of this year's nominees will make their presence felt on these boards and when the time is right we will know it.

Perhaps this happens in July, perhaps in 4 years, or perhaps never. Voting now is a mistake and I have believed that ever since reading the first couple pages of the C league vote thread.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Joe Great thread as always.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. And would gladly accept a veto, so to speak.

I feel awful that I switched my vote. I did not think it would lead into this.

This was rushed. And I'm ashamed in my part in the pushing of the merry-go-round.

@broncosmitty said it best.... I defer to the founders.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. And would gladly accept a veto, so to speak.

I feel awful that I switched my vote. I did not think it would lead into this.

This was rushed. And I'm ashamed in my part in the pushing of the merry-go-round.

@broncosmitty said it best.... I defer to the founders.
Um, yer as close to a founder as it gets, right there with Tlance and B IMO. We lost at least one owner after the first year if I remember correctly. The Golf Guy (who won it) and maybe another one or two.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to put words in other people's mouths, but in my case, part of the "yes" vote is based on expansion of the MBBRL under the right conditions.
This whole process was illegal by MBBRL standards.

But I see no one at fault here because we're all passionate about FF.

I'm hoping (as with perhaps a huge fight in a marriage), there may be some hurt feelings that may linger a while, but that we can all accept a measure of responsibility and move forward for the benefit of the league and of the members.

And that with all of this in mind, Treff can return.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to put words in other people's mouths, but in my case, part of the "yes" vote is based on expansion of the MBBRL under the right conditions.

I'm hoping (as with perhaps a huge fight in a marriage), there may be some hurt feelings that may linger a while, but that we can all accept a measure of responsibility and move forward for the benefit of the league and of the members.

I agree 100% with this.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said. And you can speak for me on the yes vote reasoning/expectation.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, all. I've checked out the C League thread a little bit since I posted.

All the owners in the C league, when it's created, have to be approved by the MBBRL members. People headed to Oblivion from the B league don't get a free pass into the C League. (When the B League was created, nobody was "rescued" by it.)

So yes, in the year a C League is created, a brand-new owner could be voted into the B league and an existing owner in Oblivion might not be approved even for the C league. The order of business would be to settle the B league first and then look at creating a C league.

I'm glad Joe brought up the weighted voting. There are good reasons for that.

(By the way, in my opinion Micro shouldn't have been voted back in after the 2015 season, for abandoning his team a couple of times and not posting. I know there was a reason he wasn't posting, but from an MBBRL perspective it was a pretty poor reason.)

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I not supposed to check in on a thread labeled "disturbance in the force"?

Look, here's my thing, and I've discussed this with a few others as well, the shine has worn off the way the league has been run. As the commish I have to shoulder the blame there, no doubts. I allowed the malaise to set in in the first place, I shouldn't be so surprised that is taken hold over so many. But having said that, it almost feels like we'd have to blow the whole thing up, minus the infrastructure it was built on, and start anew with peeps that are actually excited, , honored, whatever term you'd like to use, to be in.
When we nominated EHB, Fedorov, Richig, creep...their responses were genuine, interested, and basically a variety of "wow, they actually picked me"..those are the guys that we have a shot at keeping things going with, and if there's not enough of those types of guys on the hoop for more than 1 league, than so be it. If there's enough for 2, great. But I know that the 24 we have, there's half a dozen or so that don't share that feeling of excitement for this.
We've gotten far too loose in our own respect for the league as well. Activity on the board was assumed, so I assumed everyone was well aware of what Shady and Micro had been doing, I didn't realize a council of geniuses needed to be convened in order to spread the word. The topics were definitely discussed, in public, on the boards we're all supposed to be active on. I take the blame for being too assumptive and allowing that to happen, but we all should've been aware on our own as well.

When Will left, we all felt the loss no doubts,but because we had such a strong foundation, I don't think anyone was worried the league would fall anytime soon. I think it's mighty telling that now that I'm the one leaving, the sky will surely fall. Will was 3x the commish I am, so it's not my absence that's got you worried..it's the foundation that's started to crumble, and if your of the mind the league might fail to exist if I quit, than wether you admit or not, you too can see the cracks.
It needs to be rebuilt, and seeing as I was the head during the of the lack of maintenence on it, I do not feel as though I should be leading the way to try and fix it. I've already failed at enough letting it get that way.
If you all want this thing to continue, you need a new commish first and foremost, and if you still want me in, I will do whatever I can to help. But I cannot willingly stay in at its current state.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want you in!

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF
First I have learned you are very strong willed and surely a straight shooter

You are a credit to the MBBRL and a credit to SportsHoopla or any other board that is lucky enough to have ya

Oh ya you are one solid Commish as well

For you to take blame ( is so beyond stand up) especially taking blame for something you did or did not do

and imho what is that YOU DID NO WRONG

if their is a hint above that you are staying

Well that is awesome

Tlance Lefty Joe Fuzz Sam and others suggest we all breathe and they would have to be right

Maybe we will look back at this as the time the league stood up shook itself out and came out stronger than the best league that it already is

And

YES WE WANT YOU BACK!! (loud enough)

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I not supposed to check in on a thread labeled "disturbance in the force"?

Look, here's my thing, and I've discussed this with a few others as well, the shine has worn off the way the league has been run. As the commish I have to shoulder the blame there, no doubts. I allowed the malaise to set in in the first place, I shouldn't be so surprised that is taken hold over so many. But having said that, it almost feels like we'd have to blow the whole thing up, minus the infrastructure it was built on, and start anew with peeps that are actually excited, , honored, whatever term you'd like to use, to be in.
When we nominated EHB, Fedorov, Richig, creep...their responses were genuine, interested, and basically a variety of "wow, they actually picked me"..those are the guys that we have a shot at keeping things going with, and if there's not enough of those types of guys on the hoop for more than 1 league, than so be it. If there's enough for 2, great. But I know that the 24 we have, there's half a dozen or so that don't share that feeling of excitement for this.
We've gotten far too loose in our own respect for the league as well. Activity on the board was assumed, so I assumed everyone was well aware of what Shady and Micro had been doing, I didn't realize a council of geniuses needed to be convened in order to spread the word. The topics were definitely discussed, in public, on the boards we're all supposed to be active on. I take the blame for being too assumptive and allowing that to happen, but we all should've been aware on our own as well.

When Will left, we all felt the loss no doubts,but because we had such a strong foundation, I don't think anyone was worried the league would fall anytime soon. I think it's mighty telling that now that I'm the one leaving, the sky will surely fall. Will was 3x the commish I am, so it's not my absence that's got you worried..it's the foundation that's started to crumble, and if your of the mind the league might fail to exist if I quit, than wether you admit or not, you too can see the cracks.
It needs to be rebuilt, and seeing as I was the head during the of the lack of maintenence on it, I do not feel as though I should be leading the way to try and fix it. I've already failed at enough letting it get that way.
If you all want this thing to continue, you need a new commish first and foremost, and if you still want me in, I will do whatever I can to help. But I cannot willingly stay in at its current state.
So, you mean there is a chance?

Actually, I have to admit, I thought everything was rosy. I did not see any of the issues mentioned at all, and I was actually in the B League. I will save comments on the issues after I read the D1 thread and when Oblivion comes up. I will just say this: I've always thought Shady was/is a damn good poster.

Now @TREFF you can take this however you want to take this as can @wilwhite as this is not a slam on anybody. I PERSONALLY did not feel any kind of "shift" for lack of a better word in the league when Will left. I feel as the league didn't skip a beat and still feel that way (well, until the last few days.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, if you ever marry a Mexican chick and her parents come to stay with you and her father makes you salsa, be careful cuz that shit is probably hot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Treff,

You have put in 3 years as commish and done a fine job. I think this past week could have been handled a bit better by all of us, but aside from that I see absolutely no issue with your leadership.

I think it would be a good idea to select a new commissioner now, and perhaps the precedents has been established that the job of commish should have a term limit (3 years?) and rotate between our most experienced members. Still though, it is important to note that the burden of keeping this league moving forward does not land on the commish alone. It is on all of us.

I would suggest any of the original members who have been in the league all 6 years (Lefty, Joe, Fuzzy, Sam) would probably be best equipped to take the lead at this time.

Are any of you guys willing? Will post those nominations on the MBBRL thread.

Treff, I think I speak for the group on this. We may accept you letting someone else have a turn as commish, but we will not easily accept your resignation from the league. That can't happen!