• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2017 Thread

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an opinion, but I think given full time play, Machado would produce the same as Iglesias is producing now....batting around .250 (fingers crossed) and good defense. As for trading Iggy and Kinsler....at least one...if not both should go, if for no other reason than to clean house and get new faces in. Kinsler was/is the closest thing the team has to a leader, at least on field. But if his skills are gone - now, or this winter, is the time to make a move.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DETROIT -- Detroit Tigers star Miguel Cabrera is speaking out more forcefully than ever before about the ongoing crisis in his native Venezuela, breaking what he said was his long-standing rule against meddling in politics. In a series of free-whe...
Miguel Cabrera speaks out on death threats, bribes paid to protect his mom from kidnapping

I read some of that. That's some scary stuff, you gotta think that has to be affecting him this season. Obviously his relatives are targets considering his wealth.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an opinion, but I think given full time play, Machado would produce the same as Iglesias is producing now....batting around .250 (fingers crossed) and good defense. As for trading Iggy and Kinsler....at least one...if not both should go, if for no other reason than to clean house and get new faces in. Kinsler was/is the closest thing the team has to a leader, at least on field. But if his skills are gone - now, or this winter, is the time to make a move.

I don't think he will be nearly as good defensively.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some of that. That's some scary stuff, you gotta think that has to be affecting him this season. Obviously his relatives are targets considering his wealth.

I know I'll get stomped on for this, and I am not UN-sympathetic to Miggy's family problems, but it seems that every other week there is some story/excuse that is being brought up for Cabrera's poor season. We've read about various injuries (back, groin, knee) and, of course, cold weather. Recently we've heard about him being upset about trade rumors swirling around his teammates, and how THAT has upset him (and others). Now, family concerns have been brought forward.
I am just wondering if a small amount of guilt could be mixed in as well. Making $28mil this season and putting up numbers you'd expect out of a player making a fifth of his salary, could be bothering him....so is he seeking excuses/reasons for his poor performance so far?
Maybe all these things have piled up on Miggy, only he knows. However, I'd like to also include "getting older and the accompanying physical breakdown of the body". It will happen sooner or later....maybe sooner?

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'll get stomped on for this, and I am not UN-sympathetic to Miggy's family problems, but it seems that every other week there is some story/excuse that is being brought up for Cabrera's poor season. We've read about various injuries (back, groin, knee) and, of course, cold weather. Recently we've heard about him being upset about trade rumors swirling around his teammates, and how THAT has upset him (and others). Now, family concerns have been brought forward.
I am just wondering if a small amount of guilt could be mixed in as well. Making $28mil this season and putting up numbers you'd expect out of a player making a fifth of his salary, could be bothering him....so is he seeking excuses/reasons for his poor performance so far?
Maybe all these things have piled up on Miggy, only he knows. However, I'd like to also include "getting older and the accompanying physical breakdown of the body". It will happen sooner or later....maybe sooner?

Oh there are a ton of excuses made for Miggy, I don't disagree. He certainly can't live up to the contract, hell, not even in year 1 of the contract really. I do think the family/kidnapping aspect is one that is hard to relate to though. It does happen, especially to families of Latin American MLB players, someone wants money, kidnaps a relative, asks for a million dollars (or $100,000, whatever). That's some kind of crazy stuff to have in the back of your mind all the time.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible (but unlikely) that the Tigers do not make any moves this season ... the questions are: (1) Can they win with this team (with minor changes)? (2) Can Brad Ausmus lead them or would another manager (and coaching staff) be better?

(1) I am a huge Tiger fan and I always think they can win ... I would not be a fair judge in this matter.

(2) I think it would be a benefit for the Tigers and Ausmus to go their separate way. A new manager and coaching staff are needed.

Just my humble opinion ... curious to see what others think

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible (but unlikely) that the Tigers do not make any moves this season ... the questions are: (1) Can they win with this team (with minor changes)? (2) Can Brad Ausmus lead them or would another manager (and coaching staff) be better?

(1) I am a huge Tiger fan and I always think they can win ... I would not be a fair judge in this matter.

(2) I think it would be a benefit for the Tigers and Ausmus to go their separate way. A new manager and coaching staff are needed.

1. As far as trades. Are you willing to keep JD, knowing you will get nothing in return for him after the season, on the longshot of making the playoffs?

2. Are you talking about getting rid of Ausmus now? If you don't want to make any personnel changes this month, I don't see a real necessity in firing him....just to placate fans who ALWAYS blame the manager for everything.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Tigers don't move anyone, including J. Wilson, Avila, and JD Martinez, they are idiots. Sorry, this season is shot, you have to accept and figure out how to improve for the future.

As for Ausmus, I assume he's gone after the season. I don't really care if he is fired now, I guess the only advantage is to give Vizquel a shot.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tigers don't move anyone, including J. Wilson, Avila, and JD Martinez, they are idiots. Sorry, this season is shot, you have to accept and figure out how to improve for the future.

As for Ausmus, I assume he's gone after the season. I don't really care if he is fired now, I guess the only advantage is to give Vizquel a shot.

I couldn't agree more ... this has been the most painful season I have ever witnessed ... this team has under-performed in every aspect of the game

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Tigers do not make any deadline moves toward their goals of (1) reducing payroll and (2) getting younger, then Al Avila should be fired on August 1.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tigers do not make any deadline moves toward their goals of (1) reducing payroll and (2) getting younger, then Al Avila should be fired on August 1.

I hate to back Avila...but there isn't much he can do to reduce payroll....unless he makes some marvelous trades to rid the team of Zimmermann, Verlander, or VMart. Sure, he can decline Sanchez' 2018 option, Kinsler's too if he is still on the team....but the team appears to be stuck with the Big 5 and their mega-contracts that will eat up $122 million in salary next year. *

But fire Avila on August 1? I was all for July 1

*The AZ Diamondbacks 25 man team salary at the start of the 2017 season was about $93,000,000. They appear to have a good shot at the playoffs using less than half the cash the Tigers spent on their opening day 25 man roster.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs swing a deal to get Jose Quintana. Gave up 4 prospects, including 2 well rated ones. Quintana is not much better than Verlander this season (4-8, 4.49 ERA), but he's under team control for a few more years

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs swing a deal to get Jose Quintana. Gave up 4 prospects, including 2 well rated ones. Quintana is not much better than Verlander this season (4-8, 4.49 ERA), but he's under team control for a few more years
We could have cleaned out their farm system with Fulmer. Made our farm instant top 10.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be tough to finish last in the division now.

But I believe in this pitching staff. Never say never.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be tough to finish last in the division now.

But I believe in this pitching staff. Never say never.

Ignoring money issues, if I was a playoff contender, I'd rather have Verlander over Quintana for this season. I'd prefer the experience factor. Now, after this season....maybe I'd go with Quintana.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring money issues, if I was a playoff contender, I'd rather have Verlander over Quintana for this season. I'd prefer the experience factor. Now, after this season....maybe I'd go with Quintana.
No arguement.

Unless you need a lefty.

Great trade for the Cubs imo.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting pitchers: Tigers RHP Justin Verlander (5-6, 4.73 ERA) vs. Blue Jays RHP Aaron Sanchez (0-2, 4.85 ERA)

Tigers lineup:

1. Alex Presley, CF
2. Alex Avila, C
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. J.D. Martinez, RF
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. Nick Castellanos, 3B
8. Andrew Romine, 2B
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that the Astros are VERY interested in Justin Wilson. Their only lefty reliever, Tony Sipp, is not having a good season and Wilson would give them a late inning lefty. The Astros have some top OF prospects in Kyle Tucker and Derek Fisher, but I am not sure Justin Wilson alone would get either of those two. Astros minor league system is deep so Detroit should be able to pick up a couple of good prospects if the Astros want Wilson bad enough.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get all of these losers out of Detroit!

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79