• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2017 Thread

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Alex Avila, C
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. J.D. Martinez, RF
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. Nicholas Castellanos, 3B
8. Alex Presley, CF
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Bench: C James McCann, IF/OF Andrew Romine, OF Mikie Mahtook, IF Dixon Machado.

Starting pitcher: RHP Michael Fulmer

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....Miggy isn't happy with the situation in Detroit? Media is talking about trading his teammates and he is upset. AND he is blaming this as a reason for the team's current poor play. Life is hard - even for multi-millionaires. lol

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Peter Gammons is now reporting that the Cubs are NOT interested in Verlander, but have instead inquired about Fulmer and Norris.

The main reason the Tigers want to sell is to get under the luxury cap next year and get younger. Trading away Fulmer and/or Norris accomplishes neither of those goals. And I would think Fulmer is maybe the only untouchable player on the Tigers as far as trade bait.

If the Tigers want to move Verlander without paying a huge portion of his salary, it will likely have to be for no better than mid-level prospects. In other words, a pure salary dump.

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tigers want to move Verlander without paying a huge portion of his salary, it will likely have to be for no better than mid-level prospects. In other words, a pure salary dump.
If JV goes, does Kate stay?:crazy:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Peter Gammons is now reporting that the Cubs are NOT interested in Verlander, but have instead inquired about Fulmer and Norris.

The main reason the Tigers want to sell is to get under the luxury cap next year and get younger. Trading away Fulmer and/or Norris accomplishes neither of those goals. And I would think Fulmer is maybe the only untouchable player on the Tigers as far as trade bait.

I do not think any team will be interested in picking up Verlander's full contract. So it is just a matter of how much the Tigers are willing to throw in to move Verlander. He's owed about $70mil right now....I'd start with chipping in $20mil and not asking for any top level prospect, and then keep adding $$$.
As I said before, unless some GM wants to over-spend right now, it might be better to wait until the winter on a Verlander trade.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My first reaction to interest in Fulmer was, hell fucking no! But listening to Valenti today, he brought up a good angle. Let's say you can trade Fulmer and JV in return for 3 of their top prospects plus another B level prospect. And when I say top prospects I mean 3 of the top 5 including their #1 prospect. And you unload the JV contract (maybe retain $5 mil a year). I'm not saying they would go for that but if I'm moving Fulmer, it's got to be that type of deal, which can accelerate the rebuild and trim payroll at the same time.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first reaction to interest in Fulmer was, hell fucking no! But listening to Valenti today, he brought up a good angle. Let's say you can trade Fulmer and JV in return for 3 of their top prospects plus another B level prospect. And when I say top prospects I mean 3 of the top 5 including their #1 prospect. And you unload the JV contract (maybe retain $5 mil a year). I'm not saying they would go for that but if I'm moving Fulmer, it's got to be that type of deal, which can accelerate the rebuild and trim payroll at the same time.

But hooking together Fulmer and Verlander in a trade reduces the return value of what you would get for Fulmer in a straight up trade for him. Verlander, would drag Fulmer's value down. Wouldn't it be smarter to dump Verlander's salary (or as much of it as you can) and then r*pe some team's minor league prospects by trading Fulmer?

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But hooking together Fulmer and Verlander in a trade reduces the return value of what you would get for Fulmer in a straight up trade for him. Verlander, would drag Fulmer's value down. Wouldn't it be smarter to dump Verlander's salary (or as much of it as you can) and then r*pe some team's minor league prospects by trading Fulmer?

That's the trade off to dumping all (or almost all) of JV's contract. I don't think you are going to get much for him at this point unless you retain a large chunk of salary (say $25 mil of the remaining contract). I just see that as one of the few benefits of trading Fulmer, giving a lot of salary relief along with top end prospects.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Fulmer for Schwarber, Happ and Eloy Jiminez. Or JV and Fulmer for Scwarber, Happ,, Jiminez and De La Cruz and they can throw in a shit contract as well like Jason Heyward or something.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Fulmer for Schwarber, Happ and Eloy Jiminez. Or JV and Fulmer for Scwarber, Happ,, Jiminez and De La Cruz and they can throw in a shit contract as well like Jason Heyward or something.
Schwarber would be an awful add.

Him and NickyC is just too much for any staff to handle.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwarber would be an awful add.

Him and NickyC is just too much for any staff to handle.
Schwarber has massive upside from the left side of the plate though. In my scenario, you get two outfielders anyways.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jason Heyward will make more money than Verlander next year. Adding him to the trade negates the main goal of reducing team salary.
Schwarber is hitting .178 (and just back from a stint in the minors) and the true definition of "DH"

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps a better trade involving the Cubs would be to add Avila and Norris to a trade for Verlander (along with a bunch of cash). Depending on the amount of money Detroit is willing to eat of JV's contract, adding those two might land the Tigers a decent prospect or two. (I don't think the Cubs are interested in JV unless Detroit swallows a lot of Verlander's contract)

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two teams should be taking long looks at Justin Wilson....Houston and Arizona. Houston needs lefty relief help and AZ needs a better closer than "Crooked Hat" Fernando Rodney. Houston is suppose to have a deep minor league system. I don't know if Wilson would bring them one of their top 3 prospects, but perhaps even some of the Astros top 15 prospects might be worth a trade. On the other hand...the Diamondbacks prospects are as bad as Detroit's. Currently their #1 prospect, Anthony Banda, is a lefty starter predicted as a bottom of the rotation possibility. If they are going to move Kinsler, Dewel Lugo is infielder with some pop.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have no issue packaging JV, Norris and Avila together. Do not want to part with Fulmer.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have no issue packaging JV, Norris and Avila together. Do not want to part with Fulmer.

Cubs are possibly looking to trade 2b/ss Javier Baez. Might be a replacement for Kinsler or iglesias if Tigers care to trade them now or during the winter. I wonder if Chicago might part with Ben Zobrist, who is having a poor season, in order to balance some of the money they would pick up adding Verlander to their club? I looked at Cub's prospects...the good ones are a couple years away from the majors.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs are possibly looking to trade 2b/ss Javier Baez. Might be a replacement for Kinsler or iglesias if Tigers care to trade them now or during the winter. I wonder if Chicago might part with Ben Zobrist, who is having a poor season, in order to balance some of the money they would pick up adding Verlander to their club? I looked at Cub's prospects...the good ones are a couple years away from the majors.
I'd be shocked if Machado isn't in next years opening day starting lineup. He's been rotting on the bench all year. Gotta be a reason.

But I don't have an issue with trading Iggy and Kinsler both either.