• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive line units ranked by Fox Sports

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So think of it this way.
Team A is a no huddle offense (think Leach offense). Averages 2 minutes per drive
Team B is a grind it out offense (think Ark offense). Averages 6 minutes per drive

Team B scores a TD every possession all season (just to keep it simple no FGs)
Team A scores a TD on 50% of their possessions.

Team A will obviously average more pts per game, but team B has a more efficient offense.

This is a simplified way of thinking about it, but it is the general idea of how a team can average less pts and still be more efficient
But that's not what's happening here. Arkansas has an "efficient" offense, but who the hell cares when you fail to score enough to win much? Are you telling me that's what you'd want from your offense?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you have depth issues.
Absolutely. It is why u will see UM suffering the same type career ending injuries that Bama had after Saban took over. It is the fastest way to open up scholarships and remove players who will never contribute. Thus adding depth to the roster.

Last year, UM had great starters on their DL, but Bryan Mone was lost for the year, then Mario Ojumudia was lost for the year, then Ryan Glasgow was lost for the year. They couldn't stay healthy and lacked the quality depth to sustain their play.
This is why I applauded Hoke's recruiting to a point, as he did bring in some really good players, but depth was non-existent at multiple spots on the roster, most glaringly at QB

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. It is why u will see UM suffering the same type career ending injuries that Bama had after Saban took over. It is the fastest way to open up scholarships and remove players who will never contribute. Thus adding depth to the roster.
bro with Saban?
Last year, UM had great starters on their DL, but Bryan Mone was lost for the year, then Mario Ojumudia was lost for the year, then Ryan Glasgow was lost for the year. They couldn't stay healthy and lacked the quality depth to sustain their play.
This is why I applauded Hoke's recruiting to a point, as he did bring in some really good players, but depth was non-existent at multiple spots on the roster, most glaringly at QB

Have you ever made a post without trying to compare Harbro to Saban?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever made a post without trying to compare Harbro to Saban?
I'm not comparing them at all. It was a genius move by Saban and it has been mimicked since by coaches looking to turnover the roster as quick as possible. Harbaugh is just the latest to use it.

No blood on ur hands, player keeps their scholarship, team gets an open scholarship spot. Coach is still looked at as a good guy.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use the efficiency metric as the barometer for how good offenses are. You were the one that brought that ranking into this discussion.

You have also several times cherry picked stats for arguments. You use Sagarin all the time for the conference rankings, but never for the team rankings. Weird that his rankings for one are so spot on yet not worth mentioning for the other, no?

And yes, last year wasn't a great year for B1G offenses, but they're definitely on the upswing in terms of bringing in talent through recruiting. They likely will never put up the sort of gaudy scores like in the Big 12 since the defense is much better in the B1G, but they're definitely on the upswing.

You literally have no clue what you're talking about. I use sagarin team rankings all the time.

And yes. I did bring the efficiency numbers to the discussion because its a good barometer.

And why the hell are we even arguing if you agree that the B1G was bad last year on offense? Christ. Being argumentative just because.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's not what's happening here. Arkansas has an "efficient" offense, but who the hell cares when you fail to score enough to win much? Are you telling me that's what you'd want from your offense?

Their offense was plenty good, maybe it was the 81st ranked defense as to why they lost games? I mean they did lose a game scoring 50 points last year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You literally have no clue what you're talking about. I use sagarin team rankings all the time.

And yes. I did bring the efficiency numbers to the discussion because its a good barometer.

And why the hell are we even arguing if you agree that the B1G was bad last year on offense? Christ. Being argumentative just because.
You use his conference rankings but not his team rankings. You pick and choose which parts of his rankings you agree with. You've done that multiple times.

And this conversation wasn't about just last season. That's been the understanding this entire time. At least it has been with everyone else.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use his conference rankings but not his team rankings. You pick and choose which parts of his rankings you agree with. You've done that multiple times.

And this conversation wasn't about just last season. That's been the understanding this entire time. At least it has been with everyone else.

No I don't. I generally agree with where he ranks his teams. Is it spot on to what my own rankings would be team for team, like I said, no, but that's next to impossible. I guess if he has one team 9th and I think they're 13th I disagree, christ man.

And okay, the B1G hasn't been good on offense like the last 5 years either. Weren't good last year, or the last 5 years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their offense was plenty good, maybe it was the 81st ranked defense as to why they lost games? I mean they did lose a game scoring 50 points last year.
81st ranked by which metric? Efficiency? Total offense? Points?

They also held nearly half their opponents to 23 points or less. Their defense did enough to beat Toledo, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M but the offense sputtered even though none of these defenses were elite. They were inconsistent on both sides of the ball. If Arkansas is the kind of offense you want your team to have, enjoy being an average to above average team every year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
81st ranked by which metric? Efficiency? Total offense? Points?

They also held nearly half their opponents to 23 points or less. Their defense did enough to beat Toledo, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M but the offense sputtered even though none of these defenses were elite. They were inconsistent on both sides of the ball. If Arkansas is the kind of offense you want your team to have, enjoy being an average to above average team every year.

Yes, efficiency. They were 75th in scoring defense. Arkansas was a bad defensive team last year for the course of the season. I would love to have Arkansas offense, just not their shitty defense.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't. I generally agree with where he ranks his teams. Is it spot on to what my own rankings would be team for team, like I said, no, but that's next to impossible. I guess if he has one team 9th and I think they're 13th I disagree, christ man.

And okay, the B1G hasn't been good on offense like the last 5 years either. Weren't good last year, or the last 5 years.
So, you agree with 6-loss USC at 14th, ahead of the 10-3 Wisconsin team that beat them?
8-5 Arkansas at 15th?
You think Florida State deserves to be slotted 9 spots ahead of the Houston team that decimated them?
7-6 Washington should be a ranked team?
10-3 michigan should be ranked 8 spots ahead of the 12-2 Michigan State team that beat them?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, efficiency. They were 75th in scoring defense. Arkansas was a bad defensive team last year for the course of the season. I would love to have Arkansas offense, just not their shitty defense.
So you'd take Arkansas' offense over every other offense out there? They put up some big games against some bad defenses, big deal. You take theirs and I'm taking probably 15-20 other offenses and I'm beating you every game, defenses being the same.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's not what's happening here. Arkansas has an "efficient" offense, but who the hell cares when you fail to score enogh to win much? Are you telling me that's what you'd want from your offense?

Well winning is something that is decided by 3 phases of the game. Using your logic, Alabama had the best offense in the country last year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well winning is something that is decided by 3 phases of the game. Using your logic, Alabama had the best offense in the country last year.
That's not using my logic. As I pointed out to eric, Arkansas' offense was erratic last year. They were shut down by Bama, basically shut down by A&M, did well against some crappy defenses, did well against a decent defense, and did poorly OOC against a mid-major and one of the worst P5 defenses in the nation.

Winning is decided by 3 phases, yes, but if you want Arkansas' offense, you're not going to win more than 7-8 games a year most likely.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not using my logic. As I pointed out to eric, Arkansas' offense was erratic last year. They were shut down by Bama, basically shut down by A&M, did well against some crappy defenses, did well against a decent defense, and did poorly OOC against a mid-major and one of the worst P5 defenses in the nation.

Winning is decided by 3 phases, yes, but if you want Arkansas' offense, you're not going to win more than 7-8 games a year most likely.

No. This is what you said

But that's not what's happening here. Arkansas has an "efficient" offense, but who the hell cares when you fail to score enogh to win much? Are you telling me that's what you'd want from your offense?

You said having an efficient offense means you win a lot. Showing 0 comprehension to the fact that a team's defensive abilities
will affect the record.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you'd take Arkansas' offense over every other offense out there? They put up some big games against some bad defenses, big deal. You take theirs and I'm taking probably 15-20 other offenses and I'm beating you every game, defenses being the same.

No, I'd probably take Stanford's offense from last year over anybody else's. Arkansas would be in my top 5 though and probably top 3. But you've spun this whole fucking thing into something about Arkansas and away from how bad the B1G offenses have been(which was my main point). So kudos on that.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. This is what you said

You said having an efficient offense means you win a lot. Showing 0 comprehension to the fact that a team's defensive abilities
will affect the record.
Actually, I said the exact opposite. Literally, what I said was having an "efficient" offense doesn't mean you are going to win, with Arkansas being that example. As I said, they have an "efficient" offense, but it doesn't translate to wins when you're scoring erratically as they did last year. They lost some games due to their defense, but they also lost some games due to their "efficient" offense.

As I told Eric, I'll give you Arkansas' offense and I'll take a decent number of other offenses and will beat you more often than not. Give me Ohio State's 24th-most efficient offense any day of the week over Arkansas'.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'd probably take Stanford's offense from last year over anybody else's. Arkansas would be in my top 5 though and probably top 3. But you've spun this whole fucking thing into something about Arkansas and away from how bad the B1G offenses have been(which was my main point). So kudos on that.
:humble:

But seriously, you're telling me you'd take Arkansas' offense over nearly all of Oklahoma, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Baylor, Oregon, Notre Dame, TCU, etc? Have at it. I'll enjoy my wins.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I said the exact opposite. Literally, what I said was having an "efficient" offense doesn't mean you are going to win, with Arkansas being that example. As I said, they have an "efficient" offense, but it doesn't translate to wins when you're scoring erratically as they did last year. They lost some games due to their defense, but they also lost some games due to their "efficient" offense.

As I told Eric, I'll give you Arkansas' offense and I'll take a decent number of other offenses and will beat you more often than not. Give me Ohio State's 24th-most efficient offense any day of the week over Arkansas'.

LOL Arkansas gained more yards, scored more points(against a tougher schedule) and was way more efficient, but that makes total sense.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Arkansas gained more yards, scored more points(against a tougher schedule) and was way more efficient, but that makes total sense.
By season's end when OSU woke up and put in Barrett, they were superior. Had they done that from the start of the offseason program and let him be the QB the entire year, there's a good chance we're celebrating a 2nd straight NC.