• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive line units ranked by Fox Sports

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So on the ESPN site, it says the stats are "down-weighted for "garbage time" (based on win probability)." So this means they automatically start not counting drives when it's probable OSU would win? That's really not fair, as it's obvious when a team is playing comeback, their drives tend to cover more ground and they tend to score more frequently, which happened often to Arkansas last year and hardly at all to OSU.

It's laid out pretty precisely right there. And to answer your question, no.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's based on win probability %.

And I obviously don't think Arkansas would beat Ohio State. Not even close. Arkansas had a shitty defense and shitty special teams units. My guess is Ohio State would win something like 38-24. Ohio State had a great defense and special teams unit.
I think if you gave them the same special teams and defense, OSU still wins, and probably by at least that same margin. Arkansas had several high-scoring shootout games where their offense had to keep pushing at 100% to score. They also had 3 OT games, so there were 6 drives that got to start at the opponents' 25, which obviously improves the odds of scoring. Having a bad defense made their offense have to keep trying to score throughout the game while OSU many times was able to just relax and slow-play games.

The Ole Miss offense was rated higher than Stanford's, yet you'd take Stanford's. Would you also take North Carolina's offense over Clemson's? Would you take Oregon over Baylor? Mississippi State over Florida State?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you gave them the same special teams and defense, OSU still wins, and probably by at least that same margin. Arkansas had several high-scoring shootout games where their offense had to keep pushing at 100% to score. They also had 3 OT games, so there were 6 drives that got to start at the opponents' 25, which obviously improves the odds of scoring. Having a bad defense made their offense have to keep trying to score throughout the game while OSU many times was able to just relax and slow-play games.

The Ole Miss offense was rated higher than Stanford's, yet you'd take Stanford's. Would you also take North Carolina's offense over Clemson's? Would you take Oregon over Baylor? Mississippi State over Florida State?

And that whole top part if factored in when considering efficiency. You're the one that wanted to use ppg, not me, and I didn't want too for precisely the reasons you already mentioned.

And yes, I would take Stanford's offense over anybody(FWIW, they were the #1 P5 offense in the other efficiency metric I found). Absolutely would take Miss. State over FSU. Clemson and UNC were basically the same as was Oregon and Baylor. All 4 I would consider top 10 offenses. There isn't much separation between #7 and #9, I'd be fine w/either of those offenses.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that whole top part if factored in when considering efficiency. You're the one that wanted to use ppg, not me, and I didn't want too for precisely the reasons you already mentioned.

And yes, I would take Stanford's offense over anybody(FWIW, they were the #1 P5 offense in the other efficiency metric I found). Absolutely would take Miss. State over FSU. Clemson and UNC were basically the same as was Oregon and Baylor. All 4 I would consider top 10 offenses. There isn't much separation between #7 and #9, I'd be fine w/either of those offenses.
Fair enough. I'm taking the offenses with the proven talent and unquestioned ability to score at will.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I'm taking the offenses with the proven talent and unquestioned ability to score at will.

Out of all the teams you just brought up including Arkansas and Ohio State, the one common theme among the teams ranked higher was that they got great/good QB play. The two teams that didn't were Ohio State and FSU. Ohio State unquestionably had the most talent on offense(WR's, RB's, TE, O-line), but got shitty QB play. FSU is loaded at the skill positions, O-line was somewhat suspect, but they too suffered from shitty QB play. For whatever reason Urban decided to play Cardale half the snaps(maybe more) and that killed Ohio State, but that has to be factored in, over the course of the entire season. All these teams have the ability to score.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of all the teams you just brought up including Arkansas and Ohio State, the one common theme among the teams ranked higher was that they got great/good QB play. The two teams that didn't were Ohio State and FSU. Ohio State unquestionably had the most talent on offense(WR's, RB's, TE, O-line), but got shitty QB play. FSU is loaded at the skill positions, O-line was somewhat suspect, but they too suffered from shitty QB play. For whatever reason Urban decided to play Cardale half the snaps(maybe more) and that killed Ohio State, but that has to be factored in, over the course of the entire season. All these teams have the ability to score.
I don't disagree with anything you said here. I am basing my opinion on OSU on how they ended the final two games. They very clearly woke up after the MSU game and changed their offensive gameplan, and ended up dominating two very talented defenses. Would I take Arkansas over Ohio State if we're only looking at, say, the Northern Illinois game? Yes. However, assuming both offenses playing at their peak ability, I'm taking Ohio State and it's not even close.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this interesting regarding points given up in bowl games the last 5 years:

'15 B1G- 29ppg Big 12 - 42ppg
'14 B1G- 36ppg Big 12 - 32ppg
'13 B1G- 27ppg Big 12 - 31ppg
'12 B1G- 30ppg Big 12 - 28ppg
'11 B1G- 27ppg Big 12 - 27ppg
'10 B1G- 34ppg Big 12 - 28ppg

Grant it, in some years the B1G played more bowl games than the Big 12, but this clearly shows that when B1G teams step outside their conference where they play no offense, their defenses get annihilated.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the difference is - I put Alabama news on the Alabama forum in the Alabama news thread - as do most other Alabama fans. You put any little thing to do with Michigan as a new thread on the main CFB forum.

Alabama Crimson Tide

tOfficial 2016 Alabama Football News Thread

See how that works?
Except this isn't just Michigan news. This was very clearly about 10+ other schools. And if Michigan had an active forum, one might be more inclined to post there. And on top of it all, you divert threads into your own topic consistently. You don't get 30,000 posts by staying on topic.

Reactions: BUD

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except this isn't just Michigan news. This was very clearly about 10+ other schools. And if Michigan had an active forum, one might be more inclined to post there. And on top of it all, you divert threads into your own topic consistently. You don't get 30,000 posts by staying on topic.

You got me, I need to hijack threads in order to talk about Alabama. Nobody ever makes Alabama or Nick Saban threads.

:lol:

You're delusional.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this interesting regarding points given up in bowl games the last 5 years:

'15 B1G- 29ppg Big 12 - 42ppg
'14 B1G- 36ppg Big 12 - 32ppg
'13 B1G- 27ppg Big 12 - 31ppg
'12 B1G- 30ppg Big 12 - 28ppg
'11 B1G- 27ppg Big 12 - 27ppg
'10 B1G- 34ppg Big 12 - 28ppg

Grant it, in some years the B1G played more bowl games than the Big 12, but this clearly shows that when B1G teams step outside their conference where they play no offense, their defenses get annihilated.
We also play an exponentially tougher bowl schedule.