• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dbacks offer Tanaka 6yr/120 million

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that sure that the Dodgers will get him either. It could well be the Cubs or Yankees. I don't think the Diamondbacks have much of a chance, but you never know.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that sure that the Dodgers will get him either. It could well be the Cubs or Yankees. I don't think the Diamondbacks have much of a chance, but you never know.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's between NY and Chicago. BUT if he wants to come to the West coast then LA and AZ may have a shot. Who knows. :noidea:

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically, it won't happen. I see the minimum starting price somewhere around 140 with the player vested option of a seventh year. We just can't scrounge up that kind of cash.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard when you have the Doyers and their bottomless pocket to contend with. Tanaka barely makes sense for them...they already have 5 legit starters in their rotation.

Yankees claim they don't want to go over the luxury tax limit, but would have to in order to sign Tanaka.

I applaud the D-backs for making that offer though. At least they are in the mix. They can only do so much and offering a billion dollars ain't one of em.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be a nice fit. Hope it works out for you.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should know in a day or two where Tanaka ends up. I read a report that some teams offered 7 years at 20+ million per year.

I can see the Yankees, Cubs or Dodgers doing that. L. A. Would be a great fit for Tanaka. Big money, pitchers park, competitive team, large Japanese community, closer to Japan than New York or Chicago.

Who knows, though. We don't know what he's thinking or everything he's looking for. He should do well, but he'll cost a bunch.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Tanaka is going to the Yankees for 7 years, 155 million, with an opt-out after the fourth year. That is pretty crazy. Now it is time for the D'backs to move on and find their ace from somewhere else. I still think that the best way is through a trade. It sounds like the Rays demands for David Price are insane, so unless they lower it, he will probably stay with the Rays.

One player the D'backs could look into is Cliff Lee. If they were able to afford to offer Tanaka 20 million a year, they should be able to afford the rest of Lee's contract if the Phillies throw in around 5 million per year. Here is a link to what is left on Lee's contract: Cliff Lee plans to retire once his contract with the Phillies is up | HardballTalk That contract would fit Kevin Towers and ownership's notion of not wanting to give out long contracts. It would be at most three years for Lee and he is still one of the best pitchers in baseball, and a true ace.

For Price, I would offer up mostly any of our pitchers besides Corbin and Bradley. Bradley does not get traded under any circumstances. I would also be willing to give up some sort of combination of a couple of our young position player prospects in addition to the pitchers given up. For Lee, I would give up a lot too, but just not as much as I would for Price because of the age difference. I just hope the D'backs do not do something now like throw a bunch of money at Garza or Santana or Arroyo just because they lost out on Tanaka. If they sign one of those guys, they still do not have an ace. They have to acquire a true ace to compete for a world series.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price & Lee are out of the picture because they will both require giving up Bradley. And they both won't be available till mid-season.

The insane overpay by the Yankees reeks of desperation. I am happy that the Dbacks pursued Tanaka and put out a legit offer. But am also happy we didn't overpay for a high end #2 SP.

Hopefully Garza is the new target among FA SP. I am not a fan of his, but he is the only one of the 3 that doesn't require forfeiting our 1st round draft pick for.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shock...the Yankees outbid everyone. It's time like this I'm reminded the playing field is not level in the MLB like it is in the NFL. It's a joke. There needs to be a real salary cap like the NFL has.

Props to KT for putting forth a sincere attempt to land Tanaka though. We all knew he never had a chance, but at least he through his hat in the ring and hoped for a miracle.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Garza or Santana. Might as well just save the money and hope Bradley has an unreal rookie season.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Cubs outbid the Yankees.

But, I think Tanaka knew all along he was going to be a Yankee. I don't think he had any desire at all to be a Cub, Dodger or DBack.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Garza or Santana. Might as well just save the money and hope Bradley has an unreal rookie season.

DBacks can compete this season, signing Garza wouldn't be a bad move. Adds some pitching depth