• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dbacks offer Tanaka 6yr/120 million

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Dback's plan was to outbid the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs for an ace, then they need to come up with a new plan.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would rather not sign Garza & see what shakes out of spring. There are a lot of young guys in the rotation. Corbin, Miley, & Delgado could all a take step forward & improve. Bradley is not going to make the rotation out of springs unless he is just lights out. He is likely a June call-up. It's better to just wait & see what happens with the FA SP(s). Who knows, maybe Garza will settle for a 1 year deal later in the spring.

Edit: Went to the door to get my new kettlebell package & Sting beat me to the tweet

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really want any of the "big name" pitchers that are available. No need to overpay for a pitcher like Garza who is a #2 guy at best (probably better as a #3). I would be fine with Garza on a reasonable 1 year deal, though.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Dback's plan was to outbid the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs for an ace, then they need to come up with a new plan.

Lol

I don't think they intended to outbid those 3 teams.

They laid out an offer, if he took it, amazing, if not, oh well. Nothing wrong with throwing a bid out there

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really want any of the "big name" pitchers that are available. No need to overpay for a pitcher like Garza who is a #2 guy at best (probably better as a #3). I would be fine with Garza on a reasonable 1 year deal, though.

He's definitely a 3.

I think even a 2 year deal would be fine. It's not like he doesn't have anything left in his arm. Plus he's highly competitive, which I love.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find Kevin Towers comments today from the radio sad and pathetic.

They can't buy it, so the Arizona Diamondbacks must develop talent ArizonaSports.com

"In a way, very proud of the organization and ownership allowing myself and our baseball operations department to really play in, probably the first time in my career as an executive or general manager, play in or at least sit down at a table in a high-stakes poker game for one of the elite free agents," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "I think we did everything that we could in presenting ourselves and who we are as the Diamondbacks, selling our organization and our city and the state of Arizona.
"I think when it was all said and done…we presented ourselves a very competitive offer and probably made it very difficult for Tanaka and his advisors in making the decision to go to the Yankees."

"We're never going to be the Yankees, we're never going to be the Dodgers in the way of market size," he said. "We just have to be creative. We need to draft well, we need to develop well, and make good decisions."

I just find what he is saying so embarrassing. It is almost like he is saying oh we tried so hard, please respect our efforts fans. He should just keep his damn mouth shut. I do not remember Jerry Colangelo ever having problems signing marquee free agents. Colangelo also never had problems competing against bigger markets either, like Towers is complaining about.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colangalo was the reason there was 5 years of futility after 2002. There is a reason why he had to be bought out of his ownership rights. He bankrupted himself & nearly the team. He had to sell 2 teams in order to get solvent.

I could go on about Colangalo & how he wouldn't be able to spend money in the current MLB economy like he did in 2000. He gamble the future for a championship. It work in the short term but cost the Dbacks a lost decade.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colangalo was the reason there was 5 years of futility after 2002. There is a reason why he had to be bought out of his ownership rights. He bankrupted himself & nearly the team. He had to sell 2 teams in order to get solvent.

I could go on about Colangalo & how he wouldn't be able to spend money in the current MLB economy like he did in 2000. He gamble the future for a championship. It work in the short term but cost the Dbacks a lost decade.

Regardless of what people say about Colangelo's financial decisions, his signings and trades are the reason why the D'backs won the world series. And in 2003, Johnson and Schilling were hurt, so that obviously ruins that whole season. The D'backs were only really a bad team from 2004-2006. They made the NLCS in 2007 and then Josh Byrnes ruined the team by making some horrific moves, like trading Valverde for Chad Qualls.

Nevertheless, the point is what big acquisitions has Towers made since he has been here? He has not signed or traded for any marquee players. In fact, he severely overpaid for over the hill players like Heath Bell, Cody Ross, and Jason Kubel. Talk about bad financial decisions.

It is not like Arizona was not a prime destination for free agents. It always was when Colangelo owned the Suns and D'backs. Nowadays, people talk like no one even wants to come here. That never used to be the case. That is a reflection of ownership.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Till 2012 the Dbacks have had to pay all the deferred salaries Colangelo was responsible for. The only FA of note that was signed by Colangelo was Randy. That is it. Colangelo gets more credit that he deserves. He built a championship team at the expense of the franchise.