• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Choo Turned Down Seven-Year Offer From Yankees

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the market for Shin-Soo Choo has been slow to develop, he could have already found a home had accepted a lavish offer from the Yankees. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that even after signing Jacoby Ellsbury to a seven-year, $153MM contract, the Yankees offered Choo a seven-year, $140MM contract. Agent Scott Boras reportedly countered by asking for Ellsbury money, and the Yankees instead elected to sign Carlos Beltran to a much cheaper three-year, $45MM pact.
With Choo no longer a fit in New York, Boras will have to look elsewhere to try to top that $140MM figure. The Rangers are one team that has been said to be interested in Choo, but reports have indicated that they prefer him on a five-year deal. Beyond that, according to Passan's report, Texas has instead turned its focus to Masahiro Tanaka.
Passan also adds that multiple teams, including the Astros, have offers on the table to Choo at this time. It's not clear how much Houston has offered, but as Passan notes, an outfield of Choo, Dexter Fowler and top prospect George Springer would be an excellent trio. The Astros, however, aren't big fans of the idea of surrendering their second-round pick to sign Choo, writes Passan, especially considering that NC State lefty Carlos Rodon -- a Boras advisee -- is the favorite to go No. 1 overall to the Astros. Rodon would command a significant chunk of Houston's draft budget, which would shrink were the team to forfeit its second-round selection.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Wow can't believe he turned that down, don't know who will top that?

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's insane if true. Boras does this shit every year but somehow manages to get his client top dollar.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well can't blame him for trying to get Ellsbury money, especially when Choo is more consistent than him.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Yankees offered Choo a seven-year, $140MM contract after signing Ellsbury, imagine what Tanaka will get.

Tanaka will be the biggest overpay ever, could get to $200 million.

Wow

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible Choo could possibly get that elsewhere but from who? What team that typically spends a lot of money is still in need of an OF? Or is desperate enough to hand out $100+ million? Did Boras overplay his hand here?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible Choo could possibly get that elsewhere but from who? What team that typically spends a lot of money is still in need of an OF? Or is desperate enough to hand out $100+ million? Did Boras overplay his hand here?

The Astros have a ton of payroll flexibility. I wouldn't be shocked if they get him in the end.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the market.

I know, it's just disgusting, 200M for a question mark pitcher? It's crazy.

Honestly, the Astros may eventually cave in, they need to make a big splash.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros are rebuilding almost entirely from with-in. They are trying to rebuild their empty farm system. This report from "sources" is nothing more than BS to try and squeeze a little more money out of the Rangers, where Choo has said he would like to play for. This is Borass just hoping and praying to get a team to offer close to that.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Choo will get Ellsbury money (though he is more consistent)... I wonder if the Angels will swoop in at the last minue.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang, I would have loved to have Choo. Oh well.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Choo should have taken that offer. Fuck the Yankees tho

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's insane if true. Boras does this shit every year but somehow manages to get his client top dollar.

Was going to say the exact same thing.

I want to call Boras an idiot for turning that offer down but in the end Choo could very well still end up with more money.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say the Mariners but I have not heard anything connecting the Mariners and Choo. Plus they recently signed Corey Hart and traded for Logan Morrison. I would say the Mariners could be a landing spot with their new propensity to spend money but I think they are happy with what they have now and have turned their focus to pitching.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka will be the biggest overpay ever, could get to $200 million.

Wow

There isn't a chance in a hell Tanaka gets anywhere near 200 million. The biggest contract for a pitcher right now is 180 million dollars. The ONLY pitcher who will get a 200 million dollar contract is Clayton Kershaw, because of his age and track record in the MLB.

If I had to guess -- he will get around 100-120 million dollar deal and anywhere from 15-18 million a year. NO CHANCE a team gives him bonafide ace money without throwing a pitch in the MLB. 15-18 million a year isn't chump change, but isn't superstar money guys like Felix and Verlander are getting.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't a chance in a hell Tanaka gets anywhere near 200 million. The biggest contract for a pitcher right now is 180 million dollars. The ONLY pitcher who will get a 200 million dollar contract is Clayton Kershaw, because of his age and track record in the MLB.

If I had to guess -- he will get around 100-120 million dollar deal and anywhere from 15-18 million a year. NO CHANCE a team gives him bonafide ace money without throwing a pitch in the MLB. 15-18 million a year isn't chump change, but isn't superstar money guys like Felix and Verlander are getting.

Agreed. Especially since anything is possible with pitchers. That arm coud go at any given time, you can't invest that much into an unknown. He could wind up be Darvish 2.0 or he could be Dice K 2.0.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is all moot since he won't post but the Yankees would have blown up the fucking world to get this guy come hell or high water, they would have pushed it beyond the ability of any other team.

But now we'll never know anyway.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all moot since he won't post but the Yankees would have blown up the fucking world to get this guy come hell or high water, they would have pushed it beyond the ability of any other team.

But now we'll never know anyway.

Even with the Yankees piss poor decisions they've made handing out monster contracts in the past -- they aren't even remotely dumb enough to give a pitcher who has NEVER thrown a pitch in the MLB the biggest contract in MLB history for a pitcher.

Just isn't going to happen.

When the biggest contract for a PROVEN bonafide ace in MLB history is 180 million -- the chance of Tanaka getting a 200 million dollar contract is about the same odds as a team going 162-0 in the regular season.

Also -- IF Tanaka was given 200 million -- Clayton Kershaw should get a 500 million dollar contract, as he is the best pitcher in the world right now and has proven it for the last couple years and is only 24 or 25 right now.