• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crosby About To Sign Richest Endorsement Deal In NHL History

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, what a let down. You would think with a title like that, it would be some serious money we are talking about, but I guess for an NHL player, it is.

NHL players don't get paid dick for endorsements compared to players like LeBron and Woods to name a couple.

Multiple sources have confirmed to THN.com that Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby is on the verge of signing the richest endorsement deal in NHL history.

Crosby’s new deal is said to be worth almost $10 million over the next seven years. Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, would not discuss the financial aspect of the deal and said it is not completed yet, “but things are going in the right direction.”

Sources say the deal is for between five and seven years and will pay him $1.4 million a season. That would make Crosby easily the highest-paid player ever in terms of endorsements. Considering Crosby also has endorsement deals with Bell, Tim Hortons and Gatorade, it’s guaranteed the new deal would pay him in endorsements alone more than the NHL’s average salary of $2.1 million.

And it appears Reebok has very big plans for Crosby that go beyond endorsing hockey equipment. The company already has an SC87 apparel line and is using Crosby in its campaign for its new Zig Tech shoes.

Crosby has been endorsing Reebok since he entered the league in 2005-06.

The Hockey News: Headlines: Source: Sidney Crosby to sign richest endorsement deal in NHL history

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
pretty surprising if $1.4m is the highest annual amount. (or even if $10m is the highest aggregate amount).

Gretz has been hawking everything from GWG Jeans to 7-Up to Buicks for his whole career.
Gatorade has done a lot with NHL athletes (including 87) over the years. Messier has been a potato chip whore for years now.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm fine with sid doing a few of these. really, Timmy's, Gatorade, and Reebok isn't too bad. just think how many NBA players whore themselves out to 20 company's (makes me think of a certain NFL quarterback who sold pantyhose...). i AM surprised that that is the biggest amount though. chump change in today's athlete's world.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
48a06328-00283-0509e-400cb8e1

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's b/c the two biggest things you can get an endorsement deal for are (1) basketball shoes (kids can wear them to school, they aren't wearing hockey skates or football cleats) and (2) golf equipment (high roller market, high margin product). Those are the games where you make big bucks. Pretty sure Phil and Tiger have been #1 and #2 for a few years now on the endorsements list. Last I saw they both make $50 million +.

P66 - I don't understand. If someone offered you a million, or even $100,000 to do a radio spot that took an hour, a TV ad that takes a day, or wearing a hat with some company's name on it. Who in the hell wouldn't do that?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's b/c the two biggest things you can get an endorsement deal for are (1) basketball shoes (kids can wear them to school, they aren't wearing hockey skates or football cleats) and (2) golf equipment (high roller market, high margin product). Those are the games where you make big bucks. Pretty sure Phil and Tiger have been #1 and #2 for a few years now on the endorsements list. Last I saw they both make $50 million +.

P66 - I don't understand. If someone offered you a million, or even $100,000 to do a radio spot that took an hour, a TV ad that takes a day, or wearing a hat with some company's name on it. Who in the hell wouldn't do that?

oh no, i agree. i'd do it. in a heartbeat. there IS a certain line though. i guess i'm just not a fan of the athletes that sell things that make no sense (ie pantyhose). selling cars, or shoes, or clothing is fine. i don't mind in the least, it's just annoying when the players sell stuff that makes zero sense. i guess i just tend to get annoyed with over advertisement anymore.