• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins to the Warriors

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they literally gave away all their cap space before they even had a chance to make an offer.

From what I've heard so far this morning, it looks like offers were made, Boogie didn't like them and decided to go to the Warriors.

Plus, teams needed to realize, this was Boogie they were dealing with. He wasn't going to sit back and wait patiently.

Agree. I think Boogie was expecting higher dollar deals (even if for only 1 year). They weren't coming in as high as he hoped, so he just said "Fuck it" rather than wait to see if the offers got better.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Laker fans can accept LBJ ain't goin to his 9th straight finals this coming season :dhd:

Of course not. Adding Lebron likely doesn't even get them to the WCF this year.

Lebron was the first step. He understands this, which I think is part of why he signed a longer term deal than anyone expected.

Unless something happens like a trade for Kawhi, this season will be about determining what they need to do in the next off-season to put themselves in position to contend.

From what I've read and heard, the way the Lakers are doing things, they look to have about $40 million in cap space next year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. I thought everything was over when McGee left but hopefully a 25/12 guy will be able to fill those big shoes.

They got him for 5 million a year. NBA teams sneeze that kind of dough. People are calling it ridiculous because yes, it's ridiculous. I'm not complaining but to say that he couldn't have gotten a better deal somewhere else is ridiculous. Any team with playoff hopes for next year could figure out how to fit 5 mill under their cap.

Honestly, I'm not sure any other team could have gotten him for what the Warriors did. It's sounding like he wasn't happy with the offers he was getting so he basically said:

9vwita.jpg

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MEh

I am not sure this is the all-game changing move of the century that changes the dynamic for years.
It will impact things for exactly one season.

It is a low risk move for the Warriors in the hopes they can get a change of pace guy.
Thanks to strange rules, GS will be the only team out of 30 that will not be able to sign him next year if he plays well.
And if he plays poorly, the Ws wont sign him anyways.

GS was winning the title 98% without Cousins. They are winning it 99.99% now.

I think the bigger impact is PREVENTING Cousins from joining another team to give Golden State headaches.
In that regards it might be a big deal...but not a major earth shattering development.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors got Boogie but we got Aaron Baynes back. Great match up

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently Boogie has a different story.

DeMarcus Cousins: ‘This was my chess move’

The most telling of the article is:

"But months later, a recovering Cousins said Pelicans general manager Dell Demps told him he did not plan to re-sign him. Cousins said other possible teams told his agent that he was not the right fit or they were worried about his injury long term. The Pelicans committed to sign free agent forward Julius Randle to a two-year, $18 million contract. It will certainly be interesting to hear what Pelicans All-Star forward Anthony Davis thinks of the departure of his close friend Cousins and point guard Rajon Rondo, who signed with the Los Angeles Lakers."

With this, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of AD wanting an exodus from NO soon.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. Adding Lebron likely doesn't even get them to the WCF this year.

Lebron was the first step. He understands this, which I think is part of why he signed a longer term deal than anyone expected.

Unless something happens like a trade for Kawhi, this season will be about determining what they need to do in the next off-season to put themselves in position to contend.

From what I've read and heard, the way the Lakers are doing things, they look to have about $40 million in cap space next year.
depends on Deng.

depends on how much they like their young guys and if they hold onto them or trade them

It will be interesting to see if there if anyway they can add 2 major players around lebron in the next calendar year. I think next year you can expect to get 1 more guy, but the real test will be if they can add a third guy, or if they would rather commit that money to the young guys or other role players.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Boogie has a different story.

DeMarcus Cousins: ‘This was my chess move’

The most telling of the article is:

"But months later, a recovering Cousins said Pelicans general manager Dell Demps told him he did not plan to re-sign him. Cousins said other possible teams told his agent that he was not the right fit or they were worried about his injury long term. The Pelicans committed to sign free agent forward Julius Randle to a two-year, $18 million contract. It will certainly be interesting to hear what Pelicans All-Star forward Anthony Davis thinks of the departure of his close friend Cousins and point guard Rajon Rondo, who signed with the Los Angeles Lakers."

With this, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of AD wanting an exodus from NO soon.
I dunno

They seemed to play better without Cousins

and Rondo is pretty damn old and kind of crazy.

I think they did a great job getting Randle- hes a good fit for them and on a cheap deal. I actually think they did a pretty good job.

Mirotic and Randle are a good pair of big men to play with Davis. Holliday is a very solid Pg

they need a good 3 and D wing though....if they could get a Tyreke Evans or something like that I would feel pretty good about the Pels. They are one good wing player away from being a damn good team if you ask me.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the nba never use to be like this. but now it seems everyone is trying to build the newest dream team year in and year out. why does no team build from the draft anymore

You mean like the Warriors?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno

They seemed to play better without Cousins

and Rondo is pretty damn old and kind of crazy.

I think they did a great job getting Randle- hes a good fit for them and on a cheap deal. I actually think they did a pretty good job.

Mirotic and Randle are a good pair of big men to play with Davis. Holliday is a very solid Pg

they need a good 3 and D wing though....if they could get a Tyreke Evans or something like that I would feel pretty good about the Pels. They are one good wing player away from being a damn good team if you ask me.

I agree with you. But at some point, and as you've said, it's really hard to get out of mediocrity. New Orleans is good enough to make the playoffs, but their ceiling at the moment is 2nd round. They need stars, and Louisiana is about as miserable of a state to live in then any other state in the country.

At some point, AD's going to want to win and be in contention.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,393.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea it never use to be like this. Why can’t it be like baseball where u work your way through the minor system. Then get rewarded after you work to get to the majors. These guys want success right away don’t want to earn it

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not mad at the Warriors. Their entire make up is from the draft (Curry, Klay and Green) and hit on guys that most teams passed up, in their own respective ways. This makes your franchise alluring to other FA's like Durant, and now, Boogie. And no one this upcoming season was really equipped to topple the Warriors, sans Rockets and they lost an important piece in Ariza. Next offseason will get interesting with Klay and the decision to retain Boogie or not. But it looks like the Dubs are about to get title #4 in 5 years solidifying the dynasty talks.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea it never use to be like this. Why can’t it be like baseball where u work your way through the minor system. Then get rewarded after you work to get to the majors. These guys want success right away don’t want to earn it

You do realize that the Warriors foundation was drafted and they properly developed and evaluated their talent. This made it alluring for other guys to join; that's how it should be done and was done in the Dubs case.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

images

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on Deng.

Deng will be moved. If not this off-season, then next. If they can make it through this off-season without stretching him (which seems likely at this point), his contract becomes a tradeable asset next off-season.

depends on how much they like their young guys and if they hold onto them or trade them.

It will be interesting to see if there if anyway they can add 2 major players around lebron in the next calendar year. I think next year you can expect to get 1 more guy, but the real test will be if they can add a third guy, or if they would rather commit that money to the young guys or other role players.

I believe that this is why they are making the moves they are making. It gives them and Lebron a season to see what/who is going to work and what/who isn't.

I think the Rondo move is about Lonzo and hoping he helps him like he did Jrue Holiday. Hell, even with how things ended in Chicago, word was that the Bulls young players loved the guy.

KCP is a veteran guy who played with this young core last year and was apparently good with mentoring them. That should help as well.

Basically, this season will tell them if they need to add just 1 max guy next year or 2.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's better? The better guards are all PGs or hybrids. He's all SG.

I already answered this.

Klay is a better shooter. But that isn’t only part of the position.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that the Warriors foundation was drafted and they properly developed and evaluated their talent. This made it alluring for other guys to join; that's how it should be done and was done in the Dubs case.

And when you look around the league, literally all of the up and coming teams have the same story. Boston, Philly, LA.

You build a young core, conserve cap space and try to add a star or 2 via free agency. That was what the Warriors did.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well coming off of an achilles injury he didn't have much choice. I'm not sure how much you know about that type of injury but it's pretty big - I mean he couldn't even walk prior to it healing.

Some team woulda still given him a nice chunk of change multi year. It's a bad injury but it's recoverable

Its smart by Cousins and the Warriors literally have nothing to lose from it. It's bad for the league though because when Cousins finally does comeback and performs well, it's a layup to the title even more so than last year for the Warriors.

If he happens to not comeback and do well, even then Golden State still likely wins the title and it's no sweat off their back cause it's only a one year MLE deal.

The NBA has zero competition, it's the most unwatchable pro sports league because before the season even starts you know only 2 maybe 3 teams have a legit shot at anything, but even still in the end you know it's a big uphill battle for anyone to beat Golden State.