• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

counterpoint: If the team was smart they would keep Griffin!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at, listening to and reading responses related to the demotion of Robert Griffin III one would tend to believe that he has no future here, but if the team is smart they would let him stick around for awhile longer than this off season. Sure there is that 2016 option to consider, but contracts can be renegotiated. So let's look at what the team gets out of this.

Looking back at his first season, kyle S. Basically incorporated the Baylor offense, so there was no learning curve. In his second season much of his attention was devoted to a return from injury so again no learning curve . Now in his 3rd season there comes to the team a new HC complete with his own albeit traditional system that functions best when there is a QB schooled to run that traditional style. Rarely do you see a worse fit than Gruden's system vs. an option QB.

The question that this team now faces is, can it take an highly skilled option QB and retrofit him with traditional skills. We all know that Griffin is thought to be a very bright young man, and if Washington is smart and exercised some patience, they would handle him in much the same way as teams used to when grooming their QB's. Spending an off season or two in training to correct footwork and develop command in the pocket could pay dividends and convince DC that they just might find in him the franchise QB they hoped he would be.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. The scary potential of Griffin ending up in a place like Dallas, learning the game, then standing behind that OL picking us apart for the next 8 years is very concerning to me. Not saying we commit to another 8 years but I'd hate to see him cut loose too soon.

Speaking of Kyle where were are all those fans who a year ago were crying that he was only employed because of his last name? They ere all over the radio, now they've got nothing to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Option QBs do not work in the NFL. Anyone watch Kaep last night. Looked like the same train wreck we have here. Some might call Wilson an option QB but that would be wrong, he ran a conventional offense in college. Watch a Miami or Philly game, you don't need a Griffin to run the read option. BTW Shanahan didn't install the Baylor offense. He installed a version of the read option that he tweaked for the NFL. The run offense was still Mike Shanahan's zone running offense and route tree's were primarily route combinations that Kyle has always used with some adaptions.

Where are the Kyle Shanahan fans. I have been here all year. I have brought up how well he has done with Hoyer in Cleveland several times. I said last year that blaming the same coaches that led to Griffin's success for what happened in 2013 was a mistake. If anything Griffin has regressed under Gruden.

If Griffin wants to play here and compete for the position then I think that is fine. The time for annoiting him as a starter are over. Could he still improve? Under good coaching maybe. The guy I am thinking of who did pull that off was Steve Young and they could be considered very similar. Young was considered a bust in Tampa but became a very good QB under Walsh. Management would have to be willing to pay off his $6+ million next year then agree to a contract with him as a free agent the following year to make it work. Do you think Griffin will want to come back?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is similar to the Cousins situation the last couple of years. Unless you feel with every inch if your being that said QB WILL be the man, you should try and trade him and get what you can. If our boneheaded FO would have realized Cousins was a career backup last year we probably could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. If the price is right and reasonable, you cut your losses and trade Griffin. That is, unless Gruden REALLY thinks RG can be the guy. Despite what he is saying publicly, I think everyone (team and coaches and most fans) besides Snyder and Allen have given up on him.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Option QBs do not work in the NFL. Anyone watch Kaep last night. Looked like the same train wreck we have here. Some might call Wilson an option QB but that would be wrong, he ran a conventional offense in college. Watch a Miami or Philly game, you don't need a Griffin to run the read option. BTW Shanahan didn't install the Baylor offense. He installed a version of the read option that he tweaked for the NFL. The run offense was still Mike Shanahan's zone running offense and route tree's were primarily route combinations that Kyle has always used with some adaptions.

Where are the Kyle Shanahan fans. I have been here all year. I have brought up how well he has done with Hoyer in Cleveland several times. I said last year that blaming the same coaches that led to Griffin's success for what happened in 2013 was a mistake. If anything Griffin has regressed under Gruden.

If Griffin wants to play here and compete for the position then I think that is fine. The time for annoiting him as a starter are over. Could he still improve? Under good coaching maybe. The guy I am thinking of who did pull that off was Steve Young and they could be considered very similar. Young was considered a bust in Tampa but became a very good QB under Walsh. Management would have to be willing to pay off his $6+ million next year then agree to a contract with him as a free agent the following year to make it work. Do you think Griffin will want to come back?

Agree. Also - several people are responsible for his issues but the blame starts & ends with RG3. You can't bitch about coaches, injuries, etc & use them as excuses. They happen with all teams & players - deal with it.

Go read the recent article by Steve Young where he basically advocates for RG3 the same plan that Young used while progressing from a running QB who had all types of issues to an eventual HOF QB who still ran on occasion. He basically stated that the only real improvement for RG3 will come over time during the offseason. Also - as Young mentioned - this will be more difficult for RG3 then QBs of the past since the new CBA minimizes the amt of time that any player can spend in the offseason with their coaches.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only people who thought Kirk ever had 2nd round value appears to be fans. I never heard any hint that any team was willing to give a 2nd or even a 3rd last off season. They saw those last 3 games just as we did.

Griffin turning into Steve Young is scary. First off there is no way Griffin will ever be that good, Steve Young when healthy was nothing short of fantastic. But he could follow a similar career path. And of course if he does succeed it will be another team's fanbase that gets to enjoy it.

And so it goes......

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe I embellished a little bit. Cleveland tried to give a 4th for him and we said no. Did they try to counter offer?? If so what did they ask?? That would be interesting to know. I understand that they "thought" Cousins might have been the answer (not sure how) and that he knew the O, RG was injury prone. But once again they were wrong.

I will surely be interested in the offseason. Building up the line of scrimmage and defense via high draft picks and FA the next year or two should be priority. I fully expect Gruden to address the QB position in the not so distant future.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rg3 doesnt fit what the staff wants to do . most of you want a pocket qb like KC who is good at pre-snap and will let the ball fly .

that will have to be drafted but not this year

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rg3 doesnt fit what the staff wants to do . most of you want a pocket qb like KC who is good at pre-snap and will let the ball fly .

that will have to be drafted but not this year

I'm not sure who you are referring to when you say most of us. From what i can tell, most of us want a qb that can put points on the board. If he does it as a pocket passer or as an option qb, I don't think most care (hell, I'm not even sure many know the difference). The problem is that rg3 is a mobile qb that doesn't want to be. What we don't want is a qb that dictates the offensive scheme he wants to run for his own personal reasons that may be opposed to what is best for the team.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a smart football organization, therefore, I do not expect them to do the smart thing which happens to be, in this case, to develop their QB. Don't believe that? Ask yourself where is the President and GM who seems always ready to make a statement, but is curiously absent in the face of this crisis in confidence and the real possibility that there will be more empty seats than filled ones at upcoming home games? Still not convinced? OK, think about this fact. The average number of free agents on NFL teams is 5 to 6, Washington has 26.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a smart football organization, therefore, I do not expect them to do the smart thing which happens to be, in this case, to develop their QB. Don't believe that? Ask yourself where is the President and GM who seems always ready to make a statement, but is curiously absent in the face of this crisis in confidence and the real possibility that there will be more empty seats than filled ones at upcoming home games? Still not convinced? OK, think about this fact. The average number of free agents on NFL teams is 5 to 6, Washington has 26.

While I have no doubt the Redskins have more FAs than other teams do you have a link for that last stat? That sounds crazy.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You need to check your stats. The average number of FAs is more like 18-22 per team. We are not that far out of line. Some of the better GMs/Teams have numbers closer to ours (Ravens, Patriots, Seahawks, Eagles).

Not sure what the hard on is for Allen that you have. While I'm not ready to nominate him for GM of the year, I also don't understand why the crucification after just one year. I don't know what kind of statement you would expect him to make at this point. This is the HCs responsibility and he is the one that should be making statements about on field decisions. The FO can speak after the season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no way to debate anyone if they cant get past snyder and allen . i think allen has done decently in year one .

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no way to debate anyone if they cant get past snyder and allen . i think allen has done decently in year one .

There is no way to debate anyone who defends Snyder and Allen. If you want to discount the fact that Allen has a 5 year record of incompetence (safety and oline last offseason) then you're defending incompetence. Snyder speaks for himself, he loves this team, yet Can't find a mirror that reflects himself, when he is troubled and asks what's wrong with this team.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way to debate anyone who defends Snyder and Allen. If you want to discount the fact that Allen has a 5 year record of incompetence (safety and oline last offseason) then you're defending incompetence. Snyder speaks for himself, he loves this team, yet Can't find a mirror that reflects himself, when he is troubled and asks what's wrong with this team.

belichek had a history of incompetence as well

i dont care about tampa , it is history , right now , in year one , i feel he has done ok

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i dont care about tampa , it is history , right now , in year one , i feel he has done ok

Maybe there is a job for you in the front offices of this team.....they don't seem to care about history either.......obviously......because they keep repeating it!!

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the thread title "if this team were smart" and all I can think about is there are 1000 things they would have done differently over their history if they were smart.

This team is NOT smart. Never has been*. Probably never will be.

*Since the summer of 1999 when you know who took over.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, he doesn't. Don't confuse not winning with incompetence. BB was building a big time winner in Cleveland, it took him 4 years to actually win, they took one step back one season then moved to Baltimore where they became one of the class franchises of the NFL.

Belicheck has never been incompetent. He's got a long history of being one of the very best at his position (coordinator or HC).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather keep Gruden and lose RG3 or keep RG3 and hire a coach that fits RG3's strengths?