• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could the Clippers go after Love?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather than lose him for NOTHING the following year? The Wolves aren't going to win anything this year or the next and they know that.

Pau can still give you a double/double every given night and even at his age is one of the best passing big men in the league.

Throw in a couple of young guys (Bazemore, Marshall, Henry etc) and the Wolves almost win that trade

Good point.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 - 39 those assets aren't as good as you think they are. I think it's hilarious you guys think the Wolves are going to want a 34 year old player whos body is in break down mode and whos game is clearly not what it once was and they want him so bad they will trade the best power forward in the game. The Lakers have no other assets that are even close to worth what Kevin Love is worth. Seriously as was said the Wolves aren't winning now why would they want to add a player with 1 maybe 2 years left? It just makes zero sense, I believe they will risk losing him trying to resign him before he would be dealt to the Lakers. But hey this is the NBA so nothing would surprise me, it makes wrestling look real...

Actually, you are way off on why this deal could potentially happen. If we were talking about "normal circumstances" (whatever that is in the NBA), I would agree with you 100% that there is no way they make this deal.

However, these are not normal circumstances. When Shaq left the Lakers, he was the best center in the league and an obvious 1st ballot hall of famer. They traded him to the Heat for a bunch of spare parts. Of the players they got, only Lamar Odom ended up contributing anything. The Lakers didn't WANT to get into such a one-sided deal, but it was that or have Shaq walk away for nothing.

Some of those 20-39 assets are better than you think. The Lakers have been decimated by injuries and that has more to do with their record than anything else. Guys like Wesley Johnson, Kent Bazemore, Xavier Henry and even Nick Young would do well playing alongside a guy like Rubio.

I agree that this trade is unlikely to happen, but as you say, it's the NBA, so nothing is a surprise. Keep in mind, this very trade has been discussed before, including this year.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, you are way off on why this deal could potentially happen. If we were talking about "normal circumstances" (whatever that is in the NBA), I would agree with you 100% that there is no way they make this deal.

However, these are not normal circumstances. When Shaq left the Lakers, he was the best center in the league and an obvious 1st ballot hall of famer. They traded him to the Heat for a bunch of spare parts. Of the players they got, only Lamar Odom ended up contributing anything. The Lakers didn't WANT to get into such a one-sided deal, but it was that or have Shaq walk away for nothing.

Some of those 20-39 assets are better than you think. The Lakers have been decimated by injuries and that has more to do with their record than anything else. Guys like Wesley Johnson, Kent Bazemore, Xavier Henry and even Nick Young would do well playing alongside a guy like Rubio.

I agree that this trade is unlikely to happen, but as you say, it's the NBA, so nothing is a surprise. Keep in mind, this very trade has been discussed before, including this year.

Wesley Johnson looked so good in a Wolves Uni they got rid of him. Bazemore and Henry are D league guys who are only putting up numbers because they are forced into playing. I just happen to disagree with your view on how valuable those guys are, they are end of the bench guys on most teams not players you trade the best PF in the game for. The trade was talked about by Lakers fans, it's insane to think there was ever really any truth in it. If Gasol was 27 and not soon to be 34 then maybe.

I just don't see the Wolves trading him to the Lakers for a bunch of bench players, he could end up there but as I said it would be as a FA. I also ain't as sure as you are the only team he will agree to sign with is the Lakers, I think he wants to win as much as he wants to play for the Lakers, he won't be winning anytime soon playing for the Lakers especially if they have to trade all those assets to get him.

But again, who knows...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wesley Johnson looked so good in a Wolves Uni they got rid of him. Bazemore and Henry are D league guys who are only putting up numbers because they are forced into playing. I just happen to disagree with your view on how valuable those guys are, they are end of the bench guys on most teams not players you trade the best PF in the game for. The trade was talked about by Lakers fans, it's insane to think there was ever really any truth in it. If Gasol was 27 and not soon to be 34 then maybe.

I just don't see the Wolves trading him to the Lakers for a bunch of bench players, he could end up there but as I said it would be as a FA. I also ain't as sure as you are the only team he will agree to sign with is the Lakers, I think he wants to win as much as he wants to play for the Lakers, he won't be winning anytime soon playing for the Lakers especially if they have to trade all those assets to get him.

But again, who knows...

I'm not so sure about the guys you say are "end of the bench" players. They are putting up these numbers against other teams frontline players. Sometimes, the difference between a guy staying in the NBA and contributing is whether or not he gets a chance to play.

I never said that the Lakers are the only team he would be willing to do a sign and trade with. I said that the Wolves will only be able to do a sign and trade with a team that Love is willing to go to and the Lakers are said to be at the top of his list. The point is, the Wolves trade options are very limited because of this.

As for winning with the Lakers, that will happen much more quickly than many want to think. It's doubtful that the Lakers re-sign all of their young guys. Some will opt to go to other teams for more money and I'm not saying the Wolves will get ALL of those players. Those are just examples of guys who could be included in package along with Pau.

The Lakers will still have a very high draft pick, current cap space and then more cap space when Kobe retires in a couple of seasons. They can put together a competitive team for the next 2 years and then add a max FA such as Westbrook when Kobe retires.

Again, I doubt this trade happens, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. Especially when considering that the teams have discussed it already this season.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers and Love will want his bird rights to carry over. If thats what Minnesota is left with then like Cleveland they will get a sign and trade deal like what took place between Miami and Cle.

Question is do they get more by trading him earlier or not

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again, why is not the Clippers an even better landing spot for him? Its better run these days, they are drawing in free agents who want to play with them, and they can easily imagine a title over the next 3 to 5 years

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again, why is not the Clippers an even better landing spot for him? Its better run these days, they are drawing in free agents who want to play with them, and they can easily imagine a title over the next 3 to 5 years

Who are the Clippers going to give up? They won't be able to sign Love for what he will command as an FA unless they give up someone from their core group and they seem to want to keep those guys. Also, Love hasn't indicated any interest in the Clippers. So, we don't know if that's a team he'd be willing to go to.

To be honest, I don't know why he apparently has the Lakers at the top of his list over the Clippers. Maybe because his Dad played for the Lakers and maybe he's been a Lakers fan because of it. Maybe because the Lakers have a proven history of winning titles and that's what he likes. Maybe a combination. Who knows?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers and Love will want his bird rights to carry over. If thats what Minnesota is left with then like Cleveland they will get a sign and trade deal like what took place between Miami and Cle.

Question is do they get more by trading him earlier or not

Hard to say. They definitely aren't going to be dealing from a position of strength whatever they do. End of the day, if they want anything at all for him, they will basically have to take the best deal they can get from a team that he is willing to do a sign and trade with.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good responses. I think Minnesota is in a real jam on him, just like Phoenix is w/Dragic. There are so many teams with cash to spend come 2015 and 2016. The ability to keep good talent on some of these teams will be a challenge.

But perhaps for Love the scenario is the same as some Lakers posters wish, that Love rejects and makes clear that he wont resign with just any team , if traded, and in the end, as a free agent, chooses Clippers as a hometown team that has the assets to win now and not through him living through another rebuild.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good responses. I think Minnesota is in a real jam on him, just like Phoenix is w/Dragic. There are so many teams with cash to spend come 2015 and 2016. The ability to keep good talent on some of these teams will be a challenge.

But perhaps for Love the scenario is the same as some Lakers posters wish, that Love rejects and makes clear that he wont resign with just any team , if traded, and in the end, as a free agent, chooses Clippers as a hometown team that has the assets to win now and not through him living through another rebuild.

I think Phoenix is in a little better position than Minnesota. Love has made it pretty clear that he wants out of Minnesota. It's been reported that most GM's believe that Love to the Lakers is pretty much a done deal, just a matter of whether it will be a sign and trade or the Lakers will have to wait for free agency. I haven't heard anything about Dragic leaving Phoenix. The biggest issue for the Suns will be how much they have left to sign other players with once Dragic gets his payday. Maybe he gives them a "hometown discount"?

The problems with the Clippers scenario are that he has never expressed interest in the Clippers, the Clippers will have to give up someone from their core group and they have never shown an ability to even keep a playoff team together, much less a true contender. If they don't win a title in the next couple of seasons (and maybe even if they do), you will see the Clippers start to lose their star players via free agency because they will be outbid. So, in a couple of seasons, Love could find himself playing for the Clippers that we're all used to rather than this current version.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood trojan. I really think the next two years will see alot of movement and even draft night could be full of surprises

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood trojan. I really think the next two years will see alot of movement and even draft night could be full of surprises

Yeah, it's gonna be a very interesting off-season. I think we may even see several draft day trades as well. It's going to be fun to see what teams do to try and remain/become relevant.

I don't know about you with your C's, but considering where the Lakers are, I can't wait until the end of the season to see what's going to happen.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Phoenix is in a little better position than Minnesota. Love has made it pretty clear that he wants out of Minnesota. It's been reported that most GM's believe that Love to the Lakers is pretty much a done deal, just a matter of whether it will be a sign and trade or the Lakers will have to wait for free agency. I haven't heard anything about Dragic leaving Phoenix. The biggest issue for the Suns will be how much they have left to sign other players with once Dragic gets his payday. Maybe he gives them a "hometown discount"?

The problems with the Clippers scenario are that he has never expressed interest in the Clippers, the Clippers will have to give up someone from their core group and they have never shown an ability to even keep a playoff team together, much less a true contender. If they don't win a title in the next couple of seasons (and maybe even if they do), you will see the Clippers start to lose their star players via free agency because they will be outbid. So, in a couple of seasons, Love could find himself playing for the Clippers that we're all used to rather than this current version.

When and where did he make that clear? I missed that.

I love how you make it sound like its a done deal the Lakers will be winning Championships again real soon, like they are entitled to the trophy. What does yesterday matter in today's NBA? The Clippers also play in LA and if they start winning why won't players want to go there instead of to the rebuilding Lakers? The Lakers did go like 12 seasons between Championships before winning in 2000.

I just don't understand why people think all Love cares about is playing for the Lakers when the team right now sucks, I guess it's because maybe he's blind like alot of Lakers fans into thinking it's when not if they will be winning Championships again. This is one of the many reasons the NBA is losing popularity because it's becoming a joke with these super team set ups happening. But I must admit I would rather the Lakers trade a picture of a midget riding a unicycle to the Wolves for Love then go on to win 15 Championships in a row than see the Heat win even one more.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When and where did he make that clear? I missed that.

You missed where your owner said he wasn't worth a max deal and when he said the Lakers were his top choice?

I love how you make it sound like its a done deal the Lakers will be winning Championships again real soon, like they are entitled to the trophy. What does yesterday matter in today's NBA? The Clippers also play in LA and if they start winning why won't players want to go there instead of to the rebuilding Lakers? The Lakers did go like 12 seasons between Championships before winning in 2000.

I love how fans of teams that have never won anything like to say that Lakers fans act like the Lakers are "entitled" to win championships. How about this? Past performance tends to be a very good predictor of future performance. The Lakers have been in existence for approximately 67 years. In that time they have been to the finals 31 times and won 16 titles. Meanwhile the Wolves and Clippers have combined for zero championships and zero finals appearances. Based on this, it seems pretty clear who is more likely to win championships in the future.

Also, the Clippers have been a playoff team in the past, yet they never have sustained a consistent playoff team, much less shown that they can win a title. Do you think anyone actually trusts that they have suddenly changed and are now all about winning championships?

I just don't understand why people think all Love cares about is playing for the Lakers when the team right now sucks, I guess it's because maybe he's blind like alot of Lakers fans into thinking it's when not if they will be winning Championships again. This is one of the many reasons the NBA is losing popularity because it's becoming a joke with these super team set ups happening. But I must admit I would rather the Lakers trade a picture of a midget riding a unicycle to the Wolves for Love then go on to win 15 Championships in a row than see the Heat win even one more.

No one is saying that is all Love cares about. It is being reported that most NBA GM's believe that Love to the Lakers is a done deal. So, if you have an issue with that, take it up with them. Also, as described above, the Lakers have shown that they know how to put together championship teams. So why would Lakers fans or anyone who follows basketball think anything other than it's "when, not if", the Lakers win titles again? They have proven over and over again that they are never down for long.

I couldn't agree more with your last sentence and I promise, if the Lakers make a trade with the Wolves for Love, you guys will get a good deal more than a picture of a midget riding a unicycle.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is saying that is all Love cares about. It is being reported that most NBA GM's believe that Love to the Lakers is a done deal. So, if you have an issue with that, take it up with them. Also, as described above, the Lakers have shown that they know how to put together championship teams. So why would Lakers fans or anyone who follows basketball think anything other than it's "when, not if", the Lakers win titles again? They have proven over and over again that they are never down for long.

I couldn't agree more with your last sentence and I promise, if the Lakers make a trade with the Wolves for Love, you guys will get a good deal more than a picture of a midget riding a unicycle.

Yeah, I guess that makes it fact, they have never been wrong before. Again I ask what does the past have to do with the future? The Bulls won 6 Championships in 8 years what good has that done them lately? Players like Kobe don't come around every decade or so for the Lakers so I just don't think past success proves anything.

I love how fans of teams that have never won anything like to say that Lakers fans act like the Lakers are "entitled" to win championships. How about this? Past performance tends to be a very good predictor of future performance. The Lakers have been in existence for approximately 67 years. In that time they have been to the finals 31 times and won 16 titles. Meanwhile the Wolves and Clippers have combined for zero championships and zero finals appearances. Based on this, it seems pretty clear who is more likely to win championships in the future.

This is good stuff, I am a fan of the Minneapolis Lakers, you know the team that has 5 of those 16 titles you like to rub in my face. Past performance means shit unless of course the playing field isn't fair and the same teams are always winning the Championship, hey, wait a minute. This is the NBA we are talking about, nevermind, you're right the Lakers will win again soon. I was hoping Vince McMahon would be named the new commish, would have fit nicely into the rigged game that is the NBA.

It's been great chattin' with ya man. Good luck to you and the Lakers and if you do get Love I hope he wins ya a few more...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess that makes it fact, they have never been wrong before. Again I ask what does the past have to do with the future? The Bulls won 6 Championships in 8 years what good has that done them lately? Players like Kobe don't come around every decade or so for the Lakers so I just don't think past success proves anything.

Obviously, GM's believing it's a done deal doesn't make it so, but it's a pretty good indicator of how things are looking right now.

As for the past, I don't know how to explain any clearer what the past has to do with future. You say players like Kobe only come around every decade or so, but somehow, they seem to end up Lakers. From George Mikan to Elgin Baylor to Jerry West to Wilt Chamberlain to Kareem to Magic to James Worthy to Shaq and Kobe to Pau Gasol. Somehow, some way great, Hall of Fame level players seem to find themselves on the Lakers. At what point do you acknowledge that there's a pattern here?

Funny how fans of teams with no history are the only ones who think it doesn't matter.

This is good stuff, I am a fan of the Minneapolis Lakers, you know the team that has 5 of those 16 titles you like to rub in my face. Past performance means shit unless of course the playing field isn't fair and the same teams are always winning the Championship, hey, wait a minute. This is the NBA we are talking about, nevermind, you're right the Lakers will win again soon. I was hoping Vince McMahon would be named the new commish, would have fit nicely into the rigged game that is the NBA.

I don't think the league is rigged. I think that teams that are in larger markets have an advantage and always will. That doesn't mean smaller market teams can't compete, just that it's harder for them. It is what it is. Are larger market teams like the Lakers supposed to move or intentionally operate like a smaller market team just to make it "fair"?

Ftr, I wasn't trying to rub the Lakers titles in your face. I was explaining why a teams past is important when trying to predict how they will perform in the future. This translates to all sports. Given their history, does anyone believe that the Yankees will never win another World Series? Or that the Steelers will never win another Super Bowl? Heck, that Manchester United will never win another of whatever championship it is that soccer teams play for?

It's been great chattin' with ya man. Good luck to you and the Lakers and if you do get Love I hope he wins ya a few more...

Good chattin' with you too. Best of luck to the Wolves too. Wouldn't hate seeing them get a title or 2 of their own in the not too distant future and if the Lakers don't get him, I hope it's because he decided to stay put in Minnesota.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the league is rigged. I think that teams that are in larger markets have an advantage and always will. That doesn't mean smaller market teams can't compete, just that it's harder for them. It is what it is. Are larger market teams like the Lakers supposed to move or intentionally operate like a smaller market team just to make it "fair"?

Give me a Minnesota vs Milwaukee final and i'll stop believing it's rigged, do the ping pong balls in front of us and i'll stop beliving it's rigged, stop having officials get caught cheating and i'll stop believing it's rigged, stop having the same teams win over and over and i'll stop believing it's rigged.

does anyone believe that the Yankees will never win another World Series?

No cap, not a fair comparison.

Funny how fans of teams with no history are the only ones who think it doesn't matter.

How's it worked out for the Bulls again?

From George Mikan

Doesn't count for this discussion, he played his entire career in Minneapolis.

At what point do you acknowledge that there's a pattern here?

YES, the Lakers have had many of the best players in league history but that does not guarantee they will in the future, is it likely? Sure. I will agree with it being more likely simply because of the history of the team the last 30+ years and the market being so big and with the players on the team being treated like rock stars who wouldnt want to play for the Lakers over teams like Minnesota or Milwaukee. The popularity of the association is rapidly declining and this is the reason why, players forcing teams to trade them to certain teams and the super team approach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a Minnesota vs Milwaukee final and i'll stop believing it's rigged, do the ping pong balls in front of us and i'll stop beliving it's rigged, stop having officials get caught cheating and i'll stop believing it's rigged, stop having the same teams win over and over and i'll stop believing it's rigged.

Portland has won a title, so has Seattle, San Antonio has 4, Milwaukee has one. OKC has been considered a contender for a few years now, Memphis has been very good lately, the Utah Jazz would likely have at least 1 title if not for MJ. It's always going to be more difficult for smaller market teams. It's that way in every sport. It is what it is. Players tend to want to move to larger market, higher opportunity teams. Not sure how to fix that short of moving all of the small market teams to bigger markets or vice versa.

No cap, not a fair comparison.

Sure it is. Cap or no cap, larger market teams have an advantage because even if there is a cap, the larger market teams can afford to exceed it and the smaller market teams can't.

How's it worked out for the Bulls again?

It's taken them a little while, but seems like they have been pretty good for a few years now. If not for injuries, they may have even made a finals appearance in the past few years.

Doesn't count for this discussion, he played his entire career in Minneapolis.

It absolutely counts. It's the same franchise. It shows that the Lakers have been attracting and getting top players ever since they were in Minneapolis.

YES, the Lakers have had many of the best players in league history but that does not guarantee they will in the future, is it likely? Sure. I will agree with it being more likely simply because of the history of the team the last 30+ years and the market being so big and with the players on the team being treated like rock stars who wouldnt want to play for the Lakers over teams like Minnesota or Milwaukee. The popularity of the association is rapidly declining and this is the reason why, players forcing teams to trade them to certain teams and the super team approach.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed. I'm sure Celtics fans never dreamed that they would go 20+ years between titles. But the Lakers history suggests that they will be back sooner rather than later. Also, being in a large market is obviously no guarantee of success (Clippers and Knicks), but it definitely helps a lot.

I don't know how quickly the NBA's popularity is declining. On a worldwide basis, it's never been more popular.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, Lakers went through a 19 year drought without a title. You need to know your teams history. I have always scratched my head how many LA posters dont know their own teams history prior to 1990