• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy SILVER out of Calgary

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that reference, but I'm sure it's good.

dateline jan 21 2000

Burke says some sort of government assistance plan is still needed to keep the Canucks Canadian.

"I want everyone clear on the stakes of the card game we're playing today. To move this team takes one phone call -- one phone call -- 25 cents and a pay phone to move this team," he says. "That's how hard it is -- that's how easy it is. This is high stakes poker, folks..

/he probably wont be able to find a 25 cent payphone today though lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It likely has a lot to do with the fact that I'm now coming up on 9 years since I moved away from Calgary and that I'm becoming an old curmudgeon, but if the Flames were to up and leave Calgary, I don't think I would miss them very much. I liked the team under the ownership of character guys like Harley Hotchkiss and the Seaman brothers, but Murray Edwards and Ken King are definitely not cut from the same cloth.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It likely has a lot to do with the fact that I'm now coming up on 9 years since I moved away from Calgary and that I'm becoming an old curmudgeon, but if the Flames were to up and leave Calgary, I don't think I would miss them very much. I liked the team under the ownership of character guys like Harley Hotchkiss and the Seaman brothers, but Murray Edwards and Ken King are definitely not cut from the same cloth.
I think the people you left behind in Calgary feel likewise.

They also feel like their economy's not great right now and being held ransom by millionaires for arena money likely doesn't help that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the segment. Why the hell would Burke be talking to these people anyway?

As King's statement released later (below) said, he's the head of hockey ops. He's not team president, he plays no part in any economic decision making on the team beyond how to dispense the payroll. Why was he talking to a bunch of business people in one of the most conservative cities on the planet about giving his team public money for a new arena "(paraphrasing) because Edmonton and Winnipeg did it" while at the same time insulting the political establishment of the city your organization wants money from?

MESSAGE FROM KEN KING

In response to Brian Burke's comments while speaking at a luncheon to the Canadian Club of Calgary today:

"Brian Burke runs Hockey Operations for the Calgary Flames and he and many Calgarians have strong views about this topic. However, he is not our spokesperson regarding a new events centre for our city. We remain committed to our dialogue with the City and very optimistic we will get to a positive conclusion. We admire everyone's enthusiasm on this subject."

- Ken King, CSEC President & CEO

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty tame (and lame) statement from Ken King - The fans in Calgary have supported the Flames through some lean years and frankly deserve better treatment than insults and relocation threats from that blowhard Burke.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Nenshi didn't take this too well.

Nenshi goes after Flames bigshot Brian Burke and insists Calgary won’t have an arena deal anything like Edmonton

Nenshi has more on the Edmonton deal, the one Nenshi says is not happening here.

“When you look at the Edmonton deal, it’s so opaque.

“How many people know the City of Edmonton actually pays money to the Oilers, millions of dollars every year, to be a sponsor of the Oilers?

"That was part of the deal. We’re not doing anything like that.”

Nenshi adds he could say some things. He then says them.

“I could say: Really, is Rogers, who is giving you all that money, going to be happy about you taking a team out of western Canada?”

“Do you think Pierre Karl Peladeau is going to give you a better deal than the city of Calgary?”

Peladeau pushed for an NHL team in Quebec.

The mayor adds a new arena would have to be an improvement to the neighbourhood. He’s got an opinion on that.

“To argue a whole bunch of development will suddenly occur because there’s a new arena that didn’t occur because there was an old arena. That’s hard.”

As for the city thanking the Flames when the owners pitched their CalgaryNEXT blueprint: “We should say thank you for the opportunity to spend $1.4 billion to $1.8 billion of taxpayers’ money on private business? I don’t think so.”

The mayor also isn’t impressed with Burke’s comments on what most intelligent people understand about taxpayer dollars for arena funding.

Is he calling the city of Calgary stupid?

“I do think, when you’re sitting opposite from somebody at the negotiating table, insulting their intelligence and saying they’re not very smart, kind of an interesting way to continue negotiations.”

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's nothing but, maybe not. The Flames switched their ECHL affiliate to Kansas City. Kansas City, the 30th-largest metro area in the US, one of the few of the 30 largest metros without either an NHL or NBA team and one with a relatively-modern arena that isn't in use by a major sports league.

Calgary Flames Switch E.C.H.L. Affiliate from Adirondack to Kansas City

:tinfoil3:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's nothing but, maybe not. The Flames switched their ECHL affiliate to Kansas City. Kansas City, the 30th-largest metro area in the US, one of the few of the 30 largest metros without either an NHL or NBA team and one with a relatively-modern arena that isn't in use by a major sports league.

Calgary Flames Switch E.C.H.L. Affiliate from Adirondack to Kansas City

:tinfoil3:

WOW!! I bet they send Matt Stajan there. They'll call it re-assignment, or "clearing waivers", but we all know it will be a scouting mission to make sure things in KC are ready for an NHL squad.