• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this one pretty hard to believe but according to Yahoo Matthews' 38th goal gives him the record for most goals in a single season by an American-born player.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this one pretty hard to believe but according to Yahoo Matthews' 38th goal gives him the record for most goals in a single season by an American-born player.

Did they mean "in their rookie year"?

Can't be right otherwise. Mike Modano, for one, scored 50

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must've been. Said he broke Neal Broten's record and the most he ever scored was 38 in his first year.

I believe that 55 is the record for a US born player (Kevin Stevens and Jimmy Carson )

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Carson really did it all eh? Late night host and a hell of a hockey player!

He's not a good Canadian boy but at least he ain't Swedish! I like all of those guys, Joe Leno, Brian O'Conan, Dave Letterbox, good boys! Let's keep it moving, we don't have much time this week...

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Cody, the days of the "having fun", "Muskoka 5", "country club" Leafs are over. Take your loser attitude off to Buffalo or somewhere. Better yet, go to Vancouver.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Cody, the days of the "having fun", "Muskoka 5", "country club" Leafs are over. Take your loser attitude off to Buffalo or somewhere. Better yet, go to Vancouver.

Cody didn't play junior hockey for the Medicine Hat Tigers, so that's not going to happen.

:D

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya no I'm good.

I'd be totally fine with him replacing Polak on the 3rd pair next year. But I'm guessing someone else will offer him more than 3rd pair money/term given what's going to be out there.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wife wanted a Matthews jersey for the playoffs. I was down with it, until I saw it would be $200.

I said "how about a Connor Brown jersey?" :heh:

/at least I didnt try to pawn off the Kessel #81 jersey which is currently in the $80 discount rack

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auston Matthews, rookie who skates on a line with another rookie and a dollar store stapler, is 4 goals off the league lead with 4 games to go..

He also has the fewest power play goals and the lowest average ice time of anybody in the top 5.

Also, this:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auston Matthews, rookie who skates on a line with another rookie and a dollar store stapler, is 4 goals off the league lead with 4 games to go..

He also has the fewest power play goals and the lowest average ice time of anybody in the top 5.

Also, this:

OK, Sportsnet goes way over the top with their Matthews bromance, but that play by Nylander to set up Auston was beautiful.

The numbers don't lie, this is the most talented group of Leaf forwards in my lifetime.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, Sportsnet goes way over the top with their Matthews bromance, but that play by Nylander to set up Auston was beautiful.

The numbers don't lie, this is the most talented group of Leaf forwards in my lifetime.
I don't watch the sports highlight shows much anymore but it's only over the top if it's undeserved. If Matthews didn't exist, and this was just Marner and Nylander and the Leafs were out of the playoff race a week ago, they might show more highlights of those two than average but it wouldn't be at this level.

Like with McDavid last year and with Crosby/Ovie a decade ago we're seeing something special with Matthews and unlike any of those 3 players he's taking his team (which I remind everybody was dead fucking last in the NHL last year) to the post-season. It'll drive people nuts but as far as sports stories in any city go it's a pretty big deal. The fact it's Toronto does elevate it obviously but I saw plenty of Pittsburgh and Washington on primetime TV here and highlights at night and in the morning and I didn't blame the networks for focusing on that either.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch the sports highlight shows much anymore but it's only over the top if it's undeserved. If Matthews didn't exist, and this was just Marner and Nylander and the Leafs were out of the playoff race a week ago, they might show more highlights of those two than average but it wouldn't be at this level.

Like with McDavid last year and with Crosby/Ovie a decade ago we're seeing something special with Matthews and unlike any of those 3 players he's taking his team (which I remind everybody was dead fucking last in the NHL last year) to the post-season. It'll drive people nuts but as far as sports stories in any city go it's a pretty big deal. The fact it's Toronto does elevate it obviously but I saw plenty of Pittsburgh and Washington on primetime TV here and highlights at night and in the morning and I didn't blame the networks for focusing on that either.

All fair. The two guys on between periods of the TOR-BUF game were the ones I was really referencing. I thought the guy on the left was having multiple o......s every time he spoke about Matthews.