• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Ron Rolston fined - Update: Kessel suspended rest of pre-season

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are people really upset that the Sabres coach was fined? In a vacuum, the fine makes perfect sense IMO. Scott intentionally started a brawl by going after Kessel. He knew what would happen. Kessel's not a fighter. And what difference does it make that the Leafs had last change? If anything, the fact that Kessel was sent out, and not the Leafs' goons, shows that the Leafs weren't interested in a brawl.

The league doesn't want line brawls. It's pretty common to fine coaches when these sort of things happen. I know Scott was already out there - maybe Rolston knew what was going to happen, maybe he didn't. But the league has sent it's message, so maybe next time he'll have a few words with Scott before the whistle.

The outrage about Kessel's joke of a suspension I understand. The first slash is fine IMO - despite what some of you claim, Scott had his gloves off and was going after Kessel. He wasn't tied up with any other Leafs at that point. The second slash, unacceptable. Should have been some regular season games.

I'm only upset that it wasn't Ruff still in there. That would have been a great presser.

"No fine".

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the key phrase is "player selection" - When a coach is thinking that he might get fined by the league if he sends the wrong player over the boards, he's a coach on thin ice (pardon the pun). As for the last change, it makes a big difference as Carlyle admits he sent Kessel and Bozak out there to diffuse the situation (as in he knew trouble was brewing). He had the option to send other players out there when he saw who Buffalo sent out and chose not to do so.

Fining of Sabres' Rolston has NHL coaches fuming | Hockey | Sports | Calgary Sun

That polls speaks for itself, (Thank God it's not just a Buffalo poll) even though it's not worded correctly "No, he had every right to put Scott on the ice" . He didn't put Scott on the ice he kept him on the ice because he had a short bench. Ironically it was one of Scotts better games as he said he has been working on his skills. Reputation means a lot though.

Good read though....Thanks Dash.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UZW2pHz.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they determine John Scott's age by cutting him in half and counting the rings?

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one would like to see John Scott in the fastest skater competition at the ASG in 2015 provided there is one.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Liev Schreiber ever has an unfortunate accident ... John Scott ... Goon 2

30309.jpg

Goon-Liev-Schreiber.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one would like to see John Scott in the fastest skater competition at the ASG in 2015 provided there is one.

Scott going forward v Kessel going backwards

it would be close

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The annoying part about the fine is that there's no rule in place. If the guy didn't break any set rule, how can you fine him? It's just pointless and an obvious ploy to placate Toronto. Thank GOD Clarkson didn't appeal his suspension (there was talk of it)...because that in conjunction with the joke of a Kessel suspension would've been a crap-fest.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts are jumbles so bear with me as this is my forum preseaon :)

I heard about the BS fine, the BS Suspension & flipped my lid but good. All I can say if another coach does what Rolston did ( which was in all things, NOTHING ) watch shanaban be inconsistent. All john Scott did was shove kessel. Kessel chops him with a stick and gets a miserable 3 PRE SEASON suspension?!?! Clarkson gets to finish out the 3 preseason games & is banned 10 games in the regular season, which i'm fine with, i would have been fine with 3 games for kessel, but they should have been served in the regular season. They only did this to help the leafs with their potential cap issues, I know I'm a Sabres fan and all, but I would be PO'd if this would have happened to any other team like it did the Sabres.

So it's ok to use your stick for self defense as long as no one restrains the opposing party? Good to know.. game on Shanaban, game on

BTW..where is Carlye's fine? he should know if his players are on the bench, on the ice or wacking off in the shower, for not keeping control of his bench fine him..not to mention the fact the fine on Rolston is complete BS since Carlye had last ups..I remember when Lindy sent the goon squad on the Sens, he deserved the fine for the blatant attempt to hurt the Sens, but Rolston who let a perfectly rested player stay on the ice to maybe finish out a shift gets a fine?!?!?! The madness needs to end!!

The helmet rule is the NHL's silent way to taking fighting out of the sport without actually saying they want to take fighting out of the sport, so the game before with the leafs and Sabres, kaleta hurt his hand & I'm sure other players will get the same results too, unless they start learning how to do upper cuts. Just regulate that fight coems with suspensions and be upfront about it

ACK!!!!

I don't believe that suspensions come off the payroll for cap purposes.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that suspensions come off the payroll for cap purposes.

I think that was the OP's point. Had Kessel gotten 1 or more regular season games they would, ideally at least, want to dress someone in his place. But with his salary still on the books for those games, plus Clarkson's, they'd have a hard time dressing replacements without going over the limit.