• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chiefs Cut Jeremy Maclin

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been saying for a while they're trying to make him a full-time starter. Desean Jackson had the Z in Philly when Maclin was around (who was the X; which Conley occupies) which is noteworthy as Jackson would have a free-release. Seems like they just don't give two hoots about trying to topple the Patriots which is probably smart but a little dry as a fan.

I guess I have a hard time seeing Hill hold up if he is made a full-time starter. I thought his work load was about right last year. He is a good player and elite special teams guy for sure. Those guys can start breaking down quickly though with too large of a workload.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really shark ?....Can you say Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Jim Plunkett, must I go on ?????

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer had top 10 if not top 5 defenses of all time (Ravens arguably top 2-3). I don't consider the Chiefs a top 10 defense of all time at all (at the moment anyway). They'll need better QB play to secure a Super Bowl.

Not sure on Plunkett but that's just a different era of Football (super early 80s wins).

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have a hard time seeing Hill hold up if he is made a full-time starter. I thought his work load was about right last year. He is a good player and elite special teams guy for sure. Those guys can start breaking down quickly though with too large of a workload.
Antonio Brown is the same size and build...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antonio Brown is the same size and build...

Good point. He seems to be more the exception than the rule of guys holding up to huge workload at his size. Maybe Hill follows that same route and boom they have themselves not only a star return man but also a star WR and this whole Maclin situation just drifts off into the past. I still think though this was a mistake by the Chiefs. They looked at least a little more formidable on offense with Maclin on the field than they do now. Right now if I am a team I just double Kelce and Hill when he is on the field and go man to man on everybody else and feel comfortable with that decision.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer had top 10 if not top 5 defenses of all time (Ravens arguably top 2-3). I don't consider the Chiefs a top 10 defense of all time at all. They'll need better QB play to secure a Super Bowl.

Well that Ravens D was the best ever along with the 85 Bears...I see your point but Alex is a better qb than any of those mentioned so maybe he wouldn't need a D quite that strong...
I think he is well able to win a SB if it all comes together around him just like anyone else....
I've always said that balance gives a team the best chance to win in this league....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he could be had on the cheap for a 1 yr contract I suppose....If so, you know Harbs and Andy are tight and we need another vet wr....possibility !!!!
But then Andy could be bringing him back on a new contract too....

Looking at who has both lots of cap space and need at WR, Bears and 49ers seem like teams that could sign him.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the most cynical move I've seen a team make. Usually the biggest homer is the team itself...

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at who has both lots of cap space and need at WR, Bears and 49ers seem like teams that could sign him.

Well if it takes a big contract to get him, Ozzie has already hung up the phone for sure, we don't have the cap space and he is a bit of a risk...Besides, Ozzie is a cheapskate !!!!:D

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that Ravens D was the best ever along with the 85 Bears...I see your point but Alex is a better qb than any of those mentioned so maybe he wouldn't need a D quite that strong...
I think he is well able to win a SB if it all comes together around him just like anyone else....
I've always said that balance gives a team the best chance to win in this league....

Mmm... I think Alex is fairly on the same page as mediocre, Reid is just an amazing West coast offensive coach and realizes the heavy limitations of his QB, hence why they get Mahomes who really doesn't have the same physical limitations.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmm... I think Alex is fairly on the same page as mediocre, Reid is just an amazing West coast offensive coach and realizes the heavy limitations of his QB, hence why they get Mahomes who really doesn't have the same physical limitations.

Alex Smith was producing before Reid came into his life. In fact before he got hurt his final year with the 49ers he was on pace for a career year with a 104 QB rating and over a 70% completion rate.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith was producing before Reid came into his life. In fact before he got hurt his final year with the 49ers he was on pace for a career year with a 104 QB rating and over a 70% completion rate.

Right, with another brilliant QB coach.... better than douche nozzle "hello overrated" Gruden. Until Harbaugh arrived Smith's own fanbase was boo'ing him off the field. "We want Carr!" if you don't recall...

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no assurance Mahomes will even make it in this league let alone be a team savior....Wasn't Smith a #1 pick over all ?......And he had a rough time getting established, he's been in the league a long time now, and I think Andy is just doing his job and preparing for the future....But Smith is the best shot they have to get them to the dance, not the rook....

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. He seems to be more the exception than the rule of guys holding up to huge workload at his size

True. Hill and Brown are both very well built for their size. Still small obviously, but that is a rock solid 180 pounds. It can be done.
this whole Maclin situation just drifts off into the past

Still think it's silly for the Chiefs to punt on 2017 with guys that already have contracts like Maclin. Was one thing to trade picks for Mahomes, this I am not nearly as supportive of. It's really quite cynical if the argument is it doesn't matter if Maclin is there or not. Not a fan of punting before the season begins for a team that can quite plausibly occupy a playoff spot for shits and giggles anyway.

I still think though this was a mistake by the Chiefs.
Yeah, not happy. There's a reason baseball teams stubbornly keep inventory on players and it's not just because contracts are fully guaranteed. 100% the wrong move to make, imo.

They looked at least a little more formidable on offense with Maclin on the field than they do now
Totally agreed. It also made the offense very flexible. You could have Kelce, Maclin, and Conley on the field at the same time while lining up Ware and Hill in the Backfield. Made for some very unique play designs that were very effective when used. Maclin looked fine the final four games he played- he can't make the QB throw to him. I will never buy the idea you can cut talent just because.

Right now if I am a team I just double Kelce and Hill when he is on the field and go man to man on everybody else and feel comfortable with that decision.
Yeah, I don't see why not either if you can commit to that. This was a team trying to reshuffle its running game as well coming off a deflating 2nd half running the ball. Just not a fan of this. This doesn't help anyone but feed cynicism in my book.

Stuff like this is why I am pretty adamant Maclin is still a quality WR

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2012? You and I both know partial seasons lie. Better is a misnomer, imo. (but yes he was producing)

pittpnthrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Shark on the Smith talk. I know he had that 2011 season, but that has pretty much been his ceiling. I just cant foresee Smith ever winning a Super Bowl. He's a no risk, system QB that just seems mediocre to me.

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally disagree. Was getting open against the Steelers in the playoffs. Smith straight up missed a TD to him by pushing it to the sideline instead of letting him run under it. Looked just fine in the latter part of the season.
Maclin is a solid receiver, too bad he had weak armed Smith throwing him the ball.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have kept Maclin, signed Kaepernick and dumped Smith......

Not necessarily in that order.....

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Shark on the Smith talk. I know he had that 2011 season, but that has pretty much been his ceiling. I just cant foresee Smith ever winning a Super Bowl. He's a no risk, system QB that just seems mediocre to me.
Lack of arm strength has always been his problem but he's as smart as they come and doesn't make very many mental errors.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have kept Maclin, signed Kaepernick and dumped Smith......

Not necessarily in that order.....
Kaepernick isn't a team player and that's probably the main reason he hasn't been signed. Why foul up team chemistry?