• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chiefs Cut Jeremy Maclin

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I think this is very smart. He was hurt last year. If nothing else it's inventory. Had a brief rebound to close out the year. I am probably the most comfortable guy out there with Tyreek Hill and Conley but that looks a lot better if Maclin is in the equation. No reason to give up on Maclin in 2017.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprising cut, when healthy he put up good numbers. This is a head scratcher.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I think this is very smart. He was hurt last year. If nothing else it's inventory. Had a brief rebound to close out the year. I am probably the most comfortable guy out there with Tyreek Hill and Conley but that looks a lot better if Maclin is in the equation. No reason to give up on Maclin in 2017.

Dude the guy has been hurt basically every year he's been in the NFL. He's helpful IF he's healthy but whatever and I think anyone thinking the Chiefs are making a Super Bowl run is a pleb. That said, he's just taking up reps and another starting spot for younger guys, and the Chiefs have a TON of wide receivers on their roster young. I don't think they have a single player over 25 as a wide receiver at the moment.

Reid also runs a WCO with a fairly simple passing game designed to fit a scheme and ensure accurate routes are run. Just like the Seahawks of the Holmgren era, you don't need amazing WRs for that, just ones that understand routes and execute route running well. You don't need physical freaks and the timing/execution between the QB/WR is key, which is why you want consistency at the position. Not someone who is injured or dealing with injuries (even though he may play) all the time and taking up $12.4M to boot.

I think the Chiefs realize Alex Smith will never get em to a Super Bowl, Pat Mahomes is the future, but Pat Mahomes also needs to sit for a year or two. So at this point develop as much talent as possible since Maclin will be at least 30 by the time Mahomes starts (and more injuries likely). Ensuring you have consistency on the offense is key for a young QB.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude the guy has been hurt basically every year he's been in the NFL. He's helpful IF he's healthy but whatever and I think anyone thinking the Chiefs are making a Super Bowl run is a pleb. That said, he's just taking up reps and another starting spot for younger guys, and the Chiefs have a TON of wide receivers on their roster young. I don't think they have a single player over 25 as a wide receiver at the moment.

Reid also runs a WCO with a fairly simple passing game designed to fit a scheme and ensure accurate routes are run. Just like the Seahawks of the Holmgren era, you don't need amazing WRs for that, just ones that understand routes and execute route running well. You don't need physical freaks and the timing/execution between the QB/WR is key, which is why you want consistency at the position. Not someone who is injured or dealing with injuries (even though he may play) all the time and taking up $12.4M to boot.

I think the Chiefs realize Alex Smith will never get em to a Super Bowl, Pat Mahomes is the future, but Pat Mahomes also needs to sit for a year or two. So at this point develop as much talent as possible since Maclin will be at least 30 by the time Mahomes starts (and more injuries likely). Ensuring you have consistency on the offense is key for a young QB.

Heading into last season he had 2 straight over 1000 yard seasons. HE also had been a touchdown machine bringing in 18 touchdowns during that time period. So he had been much healthier and producing on the field until last year where yes injuries took him off the field.

Right now it just doesn't look like a very good WR core. Conley is decent but definitely more of a #2 WR where they will be asking him to be the #1 guy. Hill is more of a specialized WR than a full time starter. So all of a sudden there is a lot being put on some very young guys to step up and produce quickly in their NFL careers. I'm not saying this wasn't the right decision to make with them needing some cap space relief for this year and future years but this is definitely a shock of a cut.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are they on the hook for any contract money this season ?????

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heading into last season he had 2 straight over 1000 yard seasons. HE also had been a touchdown machine bringing in 18 touchdowns during that time period. So he had been much healthier and producing on the field until last year where yes injuries took him off the field.

Right now it just doesn't look like a very good WR core. Conley is decent but definitely more of a #2 WR where they will be asking him to be the #1 guy. Hill is more of a specialized WR than a full time starter. So all of a sudden there is a lot being put on some very young guys to step up and produce quickly in their NFL careers. I'm not saying this wasn't the right decision to make with them needing some cap space relief for this year and future years but this is definitely a shock of a cut.

They have been saying for a while they're trying to make him a full-time starter. Desean Jackson had the Z in Philly when Maclin was around (who was the X; which Conley occupies) which is noteworthy as Jackson would have a free-release. Seems like they just don't give two hoots about trying to topple the Patriots which is probably smart but a little dry as a fan.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was pretty irrelevant coming back after his injury (except against the pathetic Titans' secondary) so perhaps the Chiefs know something about his medical recovery we don't.

Also, to my earlier point I don't think the Chiefs are in that big of a rush to develop any WR, but giving them ALL opportunity to do so while Maclin is clearly not worth the $12M+ to keep makes sense. Again, because I don't think Maclin is the x factor (if any significant factor) to getting them to a Super Bowl atm due to other team limitations.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was pretty irrelevant coming back after his injury (except against the pathetic Titans' secondary) so perhaps the Chiefs know something about his medical recovery we don't.

Also, to my earlier point I don't think the Chiefs are in that big of a rush to develop any WR, but giving them ALL opportunity to do so while Maclin is clearly not worth the $12M+ to keep makes sense. Again, because I don't think Maclin is the x factor (if any significant factor) to getting them to a Super Bowl atm due to other team limitations.
Totally disagree. Was getting open against the Steelers in the playoffs. Smith straight up missed a TD to him by pushing it to the sideline instead of letting him run under it. Looked just fine in the latter part of the season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally disagree. Was getting open against the Steelers in the playoffs. Smith straight up missed a TD to him by pushing it to the sideline instead of letting him run under it. Looked just fine in the latter part of the season.

Sure.... so either I'm right and he was irrelevant (2 receptions 28 yards) or Smith is crap which means they are not winning a Super Bowl regardless... but Mahomes needs to sit for a bit until he can up his football IQ. During this time you might as well develop your younger and theoretically healthier guys and allow them to grow with the future QB.

Disagree all you want, release makes complete sense to me and Chiefs are not 'Maclin' away from a Super Bowl.

And again, I'd argue this release is also health related and the Chiefs do not nearly value what they'd have to pay him. Better to free up the cap now and not take a penalty next year and move on.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.... so either I'm right and he was irrelevant (2 receptions 28 yards) or Smith is crap which means they are not winning a Super Bowl regardless... but Mahomes needs to sit for a bit until he can up his football IQ. During this time you might as well develop your younger and theoretically healthier guys and allow them to grow with the future QB.

Disagree all you want, release makes complete sense to me and Chiefs are not 'Maclin' away from a Super Bowl.
Worse teams have won a SB. Doesn't make sense to piss away a small chance at a SB just because. False dichotomy. Seems weird to me you make a post in this thread about not a single WR being over 25 and then cut the guy who was responsible for mentoring these guys in the offseason; and yes WR's were training with him. Still think this was a year too early to do this.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post June 1st cut. They have a 2.4M charge for this year but save 10M.

So he could be had on the cheap for a 1 yr contract I suppose....If so, you know Harbs and Andy are tight and we need another vet wr....possibility !!!!
But then Andy could be bringing him back on a new contract too....

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he could be had on the cheap for a 1 yr contract I suppose....If so, you know Harbs and Andy are tight and we need another vet wr....possibility !!!!
But then Andy could be bringing him back on a new contract too....
I was just thinking that with the Ravens. Seems like a move that's begging to happen.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worse teams have won a SB. Doesn't make sense to piss away a small chance at a SB just because. False dichotomy. Seems weird to me you make a post in this thread about not a single WR being over 25 and then cut the guy who was responsible for mentoring these guys in the offseason; and yes WR's were training with him. Still think this was a year too early to do this.

Again cap move + injury issue we don't know about. Maclin is NOT worth $12M+. That's foolish to think he is. Kelce can help mentor guys and/or they can sign some vet WR for WAY cheaper than that to 'mentor' if it's really needed.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again cap move + injury issue we don't know about. Maclin is NOT worth $12M+. That's foolish to think he is. Kelce can help mentor guys and/or they can sign some vet WR for WAY cheaper than that to 'mentor' if it's really needed.
There is such a thing as inventory. If you really want to cut Maclin that badly you do it ahead of FA so you can sign a replacement like they did with Dwayne Bowe. Again, this was a year early. You don't cut a guy just because he isn't worth his contract. Maclin isn't replacement value.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really shark ?....Can you say Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Jim Plunkett, must I go on ?????

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is such a thing as inventory. If you really want to cut Maclin that badly you do it ahead of FA so you can sign a replacement like they did with Dwayne Bowe. Again, this was a year early. You don't cut a guy just because he isn't worth his contract. Maclin isn't replacement value.

Again, could be physical. Variety of possible reasons.

And I didn't watch all of the Steelers/Chiefs game. Maybe Smith played terrible and missed Maclin, maybe Maclin mis-ran a route (WCO usually has receivers run various options) or was not his usual speed to set it up since WCO is entirely timing.

The Chiefs may have been monitoring his recovery to game speed or how he was doing with offseason workouts and it just wasn't what they wanted.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, could be physical. Variety of possible reasons.

And I didn't watch all of the Steelers/Chiefs game. Maybe Smith played terrible and missed Maclin, maybe Maclin mis-ran a route (WCO usually has receivers run various options) or was not his usual speed to set it up since WCO is entirely timing.

The Chiefs may have been monitoring his recovery to game speed or how he was doing with offseason workouts and it just wasn't what they wanted.
Smith missed 3 touchdowns. So, yeah, he played pretty bad...