• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFP since 1998...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Alabama could have lost games at the end of the year last year and still easily have made it into the playoffs. It was even talked about at the time.

Nice try on moving the goalposts. It's your opinion that it makes the regular season less relevant which was the entire point of the discussion. Many people disagree with that opinion.

Whether or not it's a fact that Alabama could have lost a couple of games and still made it, doesn't mean it makes the regular season less relevant for others.

This may come as a shock to you, but Alabama would benefit more from an 8 team system and would have made the playoffs almost every year in the past 10 years.

Doesn't shock me at all. Of course Alabama is going to benefit. They already benefited from the expansion to 4 teams. Again, that doesn't necessarily make the regular season less relevant for anyone else.
As it turns out, any team, not just Alabama, is capable of having the exact same things happen to them in any given year. Alabama was just the first it happened to because the playoffs are new. It'll happen more, and it will happen multiple times every year if you move to 8.

Good. I hope it does. More teams with a chance is a good thing and increases interest.

This isn't about Alabama, it's about the consequences of the changes you propose. You focus only on what you think is a positive and then ignore things like this. All for what? All for games you would see anyone in other bowl games(and yet you don't think the playoffs take away from them).

No playoff is ever going to be perfect. There will always be teams that benefit and there will always be teams left out that feel they shouldn't be. Imo, 8 is pretty much a perfect number of teams. It allows some room for error, room for the occasional mid-major team, and doesn't diminish interest in the regular season or drag it out too long. I'd be against anything bigger because I think that would make the season too long.

Last edited:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when you had to go somewhere?

But then you never actually did.

For like the 1000th time.

hqdefault.jpg
Uh yeah in case you missed it I did .After I got bored with your talking in circles. I just got back :yawn: I get it you're afraid of competition. And need to deflect. Due to the lack of a valid rebuttal. You can be angry it doesn't bother me :noidea:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh yeah in case you missed it I did .After I got bored with your talking in circles. I just got back :yawn: I get it you're afraid of competition. And need to deflect. Due to the lack of a valid rebuttal. You can be angry it doesn't bother me :noidea:

Yep, you magically disappeared after I posted that.

Shocking.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice try on moving the goalposts. It's your opinion that it makes the regular season less relevant which was the entire point of the discussion. Many people disagree with that opinion.

Whether or not it's a fact that Alabama could have lost a couple of games and still made it, doesn't mean it makes the regular season less relevant for others.

Once again, if that is the case then why has the NFL had to take steps to put value into the end of the season games for the exact same reason?

It's not an opinion that you are making those games less relevant, it's a fact.

Doesn't shock me at all. Of course Alabama is going to benefit. They already benefited from the expansion to 4 teams. Again, that doesn't necessarily make the regular season less relevant for anyone else.

The fact it doesn't matter who wins a game does.

Good. I hope it does. More teams with a chance is a good thing and increases interest.

According to what?

No playoff is ever going to be perfect. There will always be teams that benefit and there will always be teams left out that feel they shouldn't be. Imo, 8 is pretty much a perfect number of teams. It allows some room for error, room for the occasional mid-major team, and doesn't diminish interest in the regular season or drag it out too long. I'd be against anything bigger because I think that would make the season too long.

What is wrong with the current playoff?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, you magically disappeared after I posted that.

Shocking.
Actually I didn't even read it until I got back. Tbh I can't say I was expecting an intelligent response when I opened it. But Bama....... Get back to me when you have an actual rebuttal against an expanded play off. Aside from the excuses,deflections and and contradictory statements you recycle :suds:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I didn't even read it until I got back. Tbh I can't say I was expecting an intelligent response when I opened it. But Bama....... Get back to me when you have an actual rebuttal against an expanded play off. Aside from the excuses,deflections and and contradictory statements you recycle :suds:

You claimed to be leaving at 2:46.

Posted for nearly an hour and your last post was at 3:30. And you claim to magically have missed my post, only 4 minutes later before disappearing.

anigif_sub-buzz-26018-1488244658-3.gif

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You claimed to be leaving at 2:46.

Posted for nearly an hour and your last post was at 3:30. And you claim to magically have missed my post, only 4 minutes later before disappearing.

anigif_sub-buzz-26018-1488244658-3.gif
Other than you being more focussed on when I left. Rather than how play off expansion would be beneficial to college football. Not really. Unless thats what you consider a valid reason why they shouldn't expand :noidea: Which would fit the merit of rest of your reasons

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than you being more focussed on when I left. Rather than how play off expansion would be beneficial to college football. Not really. Unless thats what you consider a valid reason why they shouldn't expand :noidea: Which would fit the merit of rest of your reasons

It's just you being you. Just like alerting people to try and get help is you being you.

Last time I looked, we have 4 team playoffs and it's going to stay that way for many more years. And no matter what the format is, Alabama is going to win national championships, just like they have with every single format in the history of college football.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just you being you. Just like alerting people to try and get help is you being you.

Last time I looked, we have 4 team playoffs and it's going to stay that way for many more years. And no matter what the format is, Alabama is going to win national championships, just like they have with every single format in the history of college football.
So basically you have no input on the topic. And are deflecting and talking in circles as per the norm?Seems to me quite a few people agree and have stated valid reasons.As it why it will be beneficial to the sport. And well you're just being you :yawn:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically you have no input on the topic. And are deflecting and talking in circles as per the norm?Seems to me quite a few people agree and have stated valid reasons.As it why it will be beneficial to the sport. And well you're just being you :yawn:
relatorios.gif

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an opinion that you are making those games less relevant, it's a fact.

lol Your opinion is not fact.

The fact it doesn't matter who wins a game does.

Again, it not mattering for one team, doesn't mean it doesn't matter for others. There were several teams whose final few games were extremely meaningful. Washington, for example, not only had to win all of their games after the loss to USC, they also had to win the PACCCG in dominating fashion in order to get in. Even then, it wasn't a given. An expanded playoff means more teams that are likely in a situation similar to Washington rather than just being out of the running.

According to what?

According to the fact that professional leagues look to expand their playoffs rather than contract them because more teams in the hunt means more fans staying engaged, which means more money. Playoff expansion and keeping more teams in the hunt isn't about football junkies like you and me. We're pretty much watching no matter what. We're watching our teams, other teams, etc. It's about keeping the more casual fans engaged.

What is wrong with the current playoff?

A few things. For one, it doesn't provide an autobid for all P5 conferences. So, you will always have a P5 conference champion left out, no matter how strong their resume might be.

It also doesn't provide an opportunity for a potentially deserving mid-major team or for teams that may have taken on an early loss because of injury or being a young team that didn't gel right away.

While I never agreed with those who were saying USC should have gotten playoff consideration (I think 3 losses was too much to overcome) because, based on their play, they were a top 4 team by the end of the season. They do provide a good argument for expanding the playoffs because of how well they were playing.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Your opinion is not fact.

Games that do not matter if the team wins or losses aren't relevant to the national championship/season. It's not an opinion, it takes away from the season.

You can say how much is opinion and you can call it insignificant, but you can't say it doesn't make the season less relevant because it does.

Again, the NFL is an example of this already happening.

Again, it not mattering for one team, doesn't mean it doesn't matter for others. There were several teams whose final few games were extremely meaningful. Washington, for example, not only had to win all of their games after the loss to USC, they also had to win the PACCCG in dominating fashion in order to get in. Even then, it wasn't a given. An expanded playoff means more teams that are likely in a situation similar to Washington rather than just being out of the running.

And if you move it up to 8 games, Washington no longer has to worry about shit after the loss to USC because they still make it in easy.

According to the fact that professional leagues look to expand their playoffs rather than contract them because more teams in the hunt means more fans staying engaged, which means more money. Playoff expansion and keeping more teams in the hunt isn't about football junkies like you and me. We're pretty much watching no matter what. We're watching our teams, other teams, etc. It's about keeping the more casual fans engaged.

They already have bowl games for these teams, you aren't really adding extra stuff.

A few things. For one, it doesn't provide an autobid for all P5 conferences. So, you will always have a P5 conference champion left out, no matter how strong their resume might be.

This is a good thing, not bad.

It also doesn't provide an opportunity for a potentially deserving mid-major team or for teams that may have taken on an early loss because of injury or being a young team that didn't gel right away.

Yes, it does.

While I never agreed with those who were saying USC should have gotten playoff consideration (I think 3 losses was too much to overcome) because, based on their play, they were a top 4 team by the end of the season. They do provide a good argument for expanding the playoffs because of how well they were playing.

Sorry, USC was extremely over-rated last year and shouldn't have been ranked in the top 5.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the truth about USC last year.

They lost 3 of their first 4, before winning out. But in those remaining games, only 3 of them had winning records. Washington, Penn St and Colorado.

Washington and Colorado were the only 2 bowl eligible teams they beat before going into the bowls all season long. Penn St became their 3rd team with a winning record that they beat.

The record of their opponents they beat was: 49-63, and that's counting the 3 teams with a winning record.
Remove those 3 and you remove 33 of those wins, for an overall record of 16-54.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you move it up to 8 games, Washington no longer has to worry about shit after the loss to USC because they still make it in easy.

Washington gets in because they would be a P5 champ and would have an autobid. There would still be several other teams in the situation they were in with the current structure.

They already have bowl games for these teams, you aren't really adding extra stuff.

Yes, because there's no difference between making the playoff and having a shot at the NC and making a bowl game. :L

This is a good thing, not bad.

I disagree. If you're a P5 champ, you should be in the playoff.

Yes, it does.

Lol. It absolutely doesn't. Do you honestly think the playoff committee would ever leave 2 P5 conference champs out to allow for a mid-major? Really?!?

Sorry, USC was extremely over-rated last year and shouldn't have been ranked in the top 5.

Once again, presenting your opinion as fact, doesn't make it fact. The polls, not yours, but the ones that actually matter, say different.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the truth about USC last year.

They lost 3 of their first 4, before winning out. But in those remaining games, only 3 of them had winning records. Washington, Penn St and Colorado.

Washington and Colorado were the only 2 bowl eligible teams they beat before going into the bowls all season long. Penn St became their 3rd team with a winning record that they beat.

The record of their opponents they beat was: 49-63, and that's counting the 3 teams with a winning record.
Remove those 3 and you remove 33 of those wins, for an overall record of 16-54.

Yeah, USC only beat the PAC-12 Champ, the team that won the PAC South and the B1G champ. Also, what the hell does this have to with the discussion? I already said USC didn't deserve to be in the playoff and said it at the time when some were suggesting they did. I used their situation as an example and you want to argue like I was saying they should have been in.

I guess when you have no other answers, you just argue against something that wasn't said.

But hey...thanks for your "truth." lol

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington gets in because they would be a P5 champ and would have an autobid. There would still be several other teams in the situation they were in with the current structure.

So the end of the season also doesn't really matter for them.

Just a matter of time before teams start using the end of the season to rest players, just like the NFL. Especially since any team that has success in the playoffs will get 1 or 2 extra games on the year.

Yes, because there's no difference between making the playoff and having a shot at the NC and making a bowl game. :L

There is a difference, but not so much of a difference that it supports your claim that it will equal out to much more money etc.

I disagree. If you're a P5 champ, you should be in the playoff.

If a P5 champ can't get in an 6 or 8 team playoff on it's actual merits, there is a reason for it. AQ is just stupid shit period.

Lol. It absolutely doesn't. Do you honestly think the playoff committee would ever leave 2 P5 conference champs out to allow for a mid-major? Really?!?

If the mid-major deserved it - yes. The current playoff says 4 best teams, it doesn't say shit about AQ's or any of that other shit.

Once again, presenting your opinion as fact, doesn't make it fact. The polls, not yours, but the ones that actually matter, say different.

What the hell do the polls matter? The AP and the Coaches polls are relics from another era.