• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BREAKING NEWS: Peyton Manning to start next week

Keystone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the decision so much because Manning while not the more mobile QB is more experienced.
Also seeing how quick Kubiak pulled Osweiler beginning of the 3rd during the Charger game, if Manning isn't playing well 1st half or even sooner, fully expect Kubiak to put Osweiler back in the game just as quick.

Have confidence Denver defense will to keep us in the game until that decision is made.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bs. Was Manning just wearing a walking boot for the fun of it? We can debate the extent of his injury, but there's no doubt he was hurt.

What part of every 39 year old QB is somewhat injured is hard to understand. He is old in NFL standards and never going to be 100%. It's just how it is. Every time Manning has a bad game just like the Colts in the playoffs we hear that he had an injury. He had to be healthy by your standards early in the year and all I saw was numerous interceptions. I get the arguement he will be fresh and just has to get by 2 weeks to get more rest. That's all well and good but we all know if his last name wasn't Manning he wouldn't be the starting QB in the playoffs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or better yet, list both QBs as "questionable" :nod: But yeah, not the brightest idea announcing this so early. But just because he has announced it doesn't mean he has to start, right? I mean there's no rule against that, right?

How much control does Kubiak really have? Elway have more control (yes I know GM verse Coach) but who really can tell the other person who he wants to start?

From watching Elway for 4 years really the only time that he steps in coaching wise is when the team is struggling. I remember after the beating that Seattle put on us in the 2013 Preseason game that Elway was pissed and came down and told the team as much. They went on to the Super Bowl that season. In 2014 he went and got after Adam Gase because he had pretty much stopped even trying to run the football. We had the game against St. Louis where we were down by 7 most of the game yet we went I think 2 quarters without handing the ball off once.

Those really are about the only 2 times I can remember hearing that Elway stepped in during the season and said anything. Now I am sure he and Kubiak talked about this decision and that Elway voiced his opinion on who he thought but I do know he has a lot of trust in Kubiak. My guess is even back in 2011 Elway was trying to get Kubiak to come to Denver as there is probably no other coach he has more respect for.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that Kubiak and Elway made the decision together, probably based on how Manning played, as well as how he was feeling. He took one really big hit in the game, I'd imagine he was pretty sore from that one for a few days.

Honestly, though, I wish the Broncos hadn't announced who was staring. Tell the players, but let the other team prepare for both qb's.

Teams are still going to have to prepare for both though whether we announced the starter or not. Teams will know no matter who the starter was that they would be on a short leash so we could see Manning for 1 series and say he throws a bad interception and all of a sudden here comes Osweiler. So I think this still works out in our favor of having to do double the preparation.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good catch, never saw the switch! I guess maybe I was just paying more attention to the "running game" once Manning came in so it made it seem like it picked up when he came in.

Now who's decision was it to start Manning, (His, Kubiak's or Elways?) That's the real question

It honestly might have been the bigger deal. Over the past especially 6 weeks my guess is there has not been a worse RT in the league pass blocking wise. In fact on PFF almost every player that went against Schofield ended up having the best game of their season. Now he is a decent run blocker which is why they left him in as long as they have but there was a noticeable difference when Polumbus went in with what our OL was capable of doing. That definitely bars watching because if the Broncos have that RT spot figured out then that could be just as huge as having a decent QB in the game.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what you think, Kubiak really doesn't have another option. If he starts Osweiler and loses then he'll be known as a coach who wasted a #1 seed and left a healthy HOF QB on the bench. Regardless of Manning's failures in the playoffs, he has to start him.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of every 39 year old QB is somewhat injured is hard to understand. He is old in NFL standards and never going to be 100%. It's just how it is. Every time Manning has a bad game just like the Colts in the playoffs we hear that he had an injury. He had to be healthy by your standards early in the year and all I saw was numerous interceptions. I get the arguement he will be fresh and just has to get by 2 weeks to get more rest. That's all well and good but we all know if his last name wasn't Manning he wouldn't be the starting QB in the playoffs.
That's all irrelevant to the point. You claimed that Manning wasn't really hurt. I'm simply calling that out.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what you think, Kubiak really doesn't have another option. If he starts Osweiler and loses then he'll be known as a coach who wasted a #1 seed and left a healthy HOF QB on the bench. Regardless of Manning's failures in the playoffs, he has to start him.
I'm not sure that's true. The reason Elway brought in Kubiak is because he really respects him and the two have basically the same philosophy. They see eye to eye. If Kubiak told Elway he truly believed the Broncos best chance of winning was with Brock, they would have gone with Brock.

As far as Brock goes, while he looked good at times, he also showed inconsistency as expected from a guy getting his first real playing time. That second half of the Steelers game is a prime example. I think at this point the Broncos simply trust Manning's decision making and that's why he's getting the start.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that's true. The reason Elway brought in Kubiak is because he really respects him and the two have basically the same philosophy. They see eye to eye. If Kubiak told Elway he truly believed the Broncos best chance of winning was with Brock, they would have gone with Brock.

As far as Brock goes, while he looked good at times, he also showed inconsistency as expected from a guy getting his first real playing time. That second half of the Steelers game is a prime example. I think at this point the Broncos simply trust Manning's decision making and that's why he's getting the start.

I saw Manning's decision making in seven games this year. It wasn't pretty. Lead the NFL in int's. Still can't believe what happened in the Chiefs game at Denver. Now let's hear the excuse Manning wasn't healthy. 3 2 2....

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise really, if he's good to go he's who you should start.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Manning's decision making in seven games this year. It wasn't pretty. Lead the NFL in int's. Still can't believe what happened in the Chiefs game at Denver. Now let's hear the excuse Manning wasn't healthy. 3 2 2....
Manning's problem hasn't been decision making, and if you think that you haven't been paying attention. It's been a lack of the ability to put the ball where he wants it to go. Whether that's simply due to old age or injury (or in my opinion, both), that's the problem. Manning's mind is fine, it's his ability that's gone.

But you'd have to be crazy to conclude that the Broncos are starting Manning for any reason other than they believe he gives them the best chance to win.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're forgetting Elway's famous quote: "there is no plan B, we're going with plan A". This is the same guy that won two rings then walked off into the sunset. I'm sure he's visualizing the same for Manning. Kubiak might have legit reasons to start Osweiler, but the blowback would be ridiculous if he did that and lost.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're forgetting Elway's famous quote: "there is no plan B, we're going with plan A". This is the same guy that won two rings then walked off into the sunset. I'm sure he's visualizing the same for Manning. Kubiak might have legit reasons to start Osweiler, but the blowback would be ridiculous if he did that and lost.
Elway said that nearly 4 years ago when they signed Manning. Obviously circumstances have changed. But if think that Elway and Kubiak aren't on the same page, you just don't know the Broncos front office situation very well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning's problem hasn't been decision making, and if you think that you haven't been paying attention. It's been a lack of the ability to put the ball where he wants it to go. Whether that's simply due to old age or injury (or in my opinion, both), that's the problem. Manning's mind is fine, it's his ability that's gone.

But you'd have to be crazy to conclude that the Broncos are starting Manning for any reason other than they believe he gives them the best chance to win.

This is where I do have to disagree a bit with you. Manning at times this year looked really confused on what a defense was doing. Teams pretty much stopped even caring about the deep ball and were just giving it to him. He couldn't hit those throws allowing teams to have all 11 guys within 15 yards of the LOS. I saw plenty of times where a team would bring pressure up the middle and drop the OLB/DE back into the flat and Manning would not see this and throw an easy pick-6. That to me is why he threw so many pick-6's because he couldn't get that figured out that he just couldn't make that throw.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I do have to disagree a bit with you. Manning at times this year looked really confused on what a defense was doing. Teams pretty much stopped even caring about the deep ball and were just giving it to him. He couldn't hit those throws allowing teams to have all 11 guys within 15 yards of the LOS. I saw plenty of times where a team would bring pressure up the middle and drop the OLB/DE back into the flat and Manning would not see this and throw an easy pick-6. That to me is why he threw so many pick-6's because he couldn't get that figured out that he just couldn't make that throw.
Eh, I disagree. Manning just didn't forget how to read defenses. Team's gave him the deep ball because they knew he couldn't hit it. That means tighter windows everywhere else, and without that zip to get it there it's not going to happen. Combine that with the offensive line struggles and how Manning needs to get the ball out quickly and anticipate, and you've got a guy that threw a lot of interceptions.

But as I said earlier, I was encouraged that Manning's passes on Sunday seemed to spin and have more zip on them then I've seen in a long time. Whether that's just wishful thinking on my part or if the rest really did do him that much good, I guess we'll see next week.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I disagree. Manning just didn't forget how to read defenses. Team's gave him the deep ball because they knew he couldn't hit it. That means tighter windows everywhere else, and without that zip to get it there it's not going to happen. Combine that with the offensive line struggles and how Manning needs to get the ball out quickly and anticipate, and you've got a guy that threw a lot of interceptions.

But as I said earlier, I was encouraged that Manning's passes on Sunday seemed to spin and have more zip on them then I've seen in a long time. Whether that's just wishful thinking on my part or if the rest really did do him that much good, I guess we'll see next week.

I guess just difference of opinion. I saw some throws where it didn't look like he knew the DE/OLB was going to peal off the way he did into the flat making for an easy play. I mean he threw it right to the defender about 3-4 times this season on that type of play alone. That to me is not knowing what the defense was doing because no way you are completing that pass no matter who the QB is. As for the zip. I think it was a little better for sure but how much is the question. Beyond that the deep ball to me is the only way he gets defenses to back off. On that side of things he was 0-2 in this past game. He had Sanders open both times. One of them is understandable as the OL got beat on the blitz. The other is inexcusable though. He had plenty of time to step into his throw and really could have even underthrown it as the defender was trying to play catch up so at worst we get a pass interference call. Now maybe the timing just isn't right since he hasn't been throwing to these guys but he looked like he did earlier in the season of always over throwing those deep balls by about 5 yards.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway said that nearly 4 years ago when they signed Manning. Obviously circumstances have changed. But if think that Elway and Kubiak aren't on the same page, you just don't know the Broncos front office situation very well.
But you're roaming the halls there? There's a reason Elway hired his backup to coach the team.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock is taller though. Elway is flip flopping.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway was interviewed on the radio the other day and was emphatic that the quarterback decision is 100% Kubiak's to make. He added that he's there if Kubiak wants his opinion but he hired Gary to make all coaching decisions. Now you could say that it's of course what he would say publicly but it sounded pretty sincere. I can't imagine that Kubiak hasn't discussed the QB situation with Elway for hour upon hour though. These two are definitely on the same page about the team in general.

As for Brock. Elway was equally forceful in saying that Brock is the guy that they definitely want to lock up for the future. He indicated that Osweiler's contract would be the first priority after the post-season. My guess is Kubiak went to Brock and said look, we're going to go with Manning given his experience, be ready if it doesn't go as planned and oh by the way, you're definitely our guy for the future. I think the Broncos are going to do whatever is necessary to impress upon Brock their intent with him for the future.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are claiming Brock has a knee injury now. If that is true then maybe that was the final straw that led to the decision to start Manning. Could be bullshit too.