• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, you cant really blame him for the committee lying to him and everyone else.

The committee did not lie to the Big 12. In '14, OU lost the Bedlam Series to an average Okie St. This loss was huge for both BU and TCU. It took away one of their top 25 wins. Both ended with 2. When tOSU won the CCG, they not only earned a top 25 win... but were aided by Minn returning to the top 25 as a result of the OU loss.

Last year, OU earned 4 top 25 wins... 3 of them road wins.

This year, OU ended up with 2 top 25 wins.

tOSU had one of the top 4 resumes... just as OU had the prior year... without participating in a CCG. tOSU had wins over 3 top 10 teams... @OU, @Wisky, UofM.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the brand was part of the equation, tOSU would have earned the playoff spot last year instead of MSU.

Instead, MSU went on to get its ass whipped.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the brand was part of the equation, tOSU would have earned the playoff spot last year instead of MSU.

Instead, MSU went on to get its ass whipped.
If you think brand name doesn't enter into it, you are VERY naive..........OSU had exactly the same number of ranked wins as PSU, the B12 has no gripe, the B12 is VERY weak this year, but PSU sure does have a gripe.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think brand name doesn't enter into it, you are VERY naive..........OSU had exactly the same number of ranked wins as PSU, the B12 has no gripe, the B12 is VERY weak this year, but PSU sure does have a gripe.
PSU has 2 loses, tOSU has 1, that made it easy for the committee. PSU beats the mighty Pitt Panthers and they get in. committee don't care about conference titles..
Agree Big12 was a little down this year and prob will be again next year but the conference will usually have at least 3 teams in the rankings and its champion will have to play and beat another ranked opponent next year so the SOS should be ok as long as our champion can take care of business. If not then like you say we have no gripe I agree.

Last edited:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee did not lie to the Big 12. In '14, OU lost the Bedlam Series to an average Okie St. This loss was huge for both BU and TCU. It took away one of their top 25 wins. Both ended with 2. When tOSU won the CCG, they not only earned a top 25 win... but were aided by Minn returning to the top 25 as a result of the OU loss.

Last year, OU earned 4 top 25 wins... 3 of them road wins.

This year, OU ended up with 2 top 25 wins.

tOSU had one of the top 4 resumes... just as OU had the prior year... without participating in a CCG. tOSU had wins over 3 top 10 teams... @OU, @Wisky, UofM.
The committee specifically mentioned the lack of a 13th data point as one of the factors for dropping the Big12 teams down that year, Along with tOSU's beatdown of Wisconsin in their 13th data point. They were at minimum talking out of both sides of their mouths.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee specifically mentioned the lack of a 13th data point as one of the factors for dropping the Big12 teams down that year, Along with tOSU's beatdown of Wisconsin in their 13th data point. They were at minimum talking out of both sides of their mouths.

That is not an accurate account. I guess fans like you get caught up in this 13th data point jargon, but everyone else understood why TCU was repositioned in their final ranking.

BTW, after tOSU defeated MSU and Minn... both ranked... both on the road... they were placed ahead of BU. Why would this order change after the Buckeye whipping of a #13 ranked team in the CCG?

OU making the final 4 last year completely turns your argument into a fail.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would not have mentioned that had OU been one of the 11-1 teams, see last year..........the reason no B12 team went in 2014 was that the two teams were names Baylor and TCU, NOT because of a missing 13th game....

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not an accurate account. I guess fans like you get caught up in this 13th data point jargon, but everyone else understood why TCU was repositioned in their final ranking.

BTW, after tOSU defeated MSU and Minn... both ranked... both on the road... they were placed ahead of BU. Why would this order change after the Buckeye whipping of a #13 ranked team in the CCG?

OU making the final 4 last year completely turns your argument into a fail.

Jeff Long says 13th games were factor for CFB Playoff committee

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the spin the committe gave for keeping Penn State out was stunning...still for the life of me can't figure out how the Big12 champ and the head to head winner vs Ohio State who made it in was left out...

Again! :deadhorse: Slaton10 feels all 5 power conference champs and 3 at large should get in...I mean the last undefeated team didn't even sniff getting into the final 4...talk about the big12 missing...clearly Western Michigan season told those non power 5 teams they are never getting to play for the NC...if there were 3 at large bids they get their shot...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the spin the committe gave for keeping Penn State out was stunning...still for the life of me can't figure out how the Big12 champ and the head to head winner vs Ohio State who made it in was left out...

Again! :deadhorse: Slaton10 feels all 5 power conference champs and 3 at large should get in...I mean the last undefeated team didn't even sniff getting into the final 4...talk about the big12 missing...clearly Western Michigan season told those non power 5 teams they are never getting to play for the NC...if there were 3 at large bids they get their shot...
Name means everything, Slaton, the committee will change their reasons and excuses EVERY year to get name brands into it whenever there is ANY wiggle room. Had Purdue finished with the EXACT resume OSU had, PSU would be in the "playoff"......piss poor excuse for a playoff. Copy the 1AA playoff, or just forget the games and alternate giving it to OSU or Alabama every year......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the article.... only quote I could find regarding Long's statement...

Oh yeah... I couldn't find a quote.

A factor... the 13th game was a factor. No shit!

The week that the Pac 12, B1G, ACC and SEC were playing a CCG, OU and Okie St were playing the Bedlam. Had the Bedlam Series been played the week prior, as it was last year... OU would have fallen out of the top 25. This loss would have put Minn back into the top 25 heading into the Championship Saturday weekend.

Both TCU and BU would lose a top 25 win with OU's loss to Okie St. TCU would gain a top 25 win with the inclusion of Minn into the top 25.

Heading into Championship Saturday, BU would be further behind tOSU than the previous week. BU would have one top 25 win... TCU. tOSU would have two... MSU and Minn.

The 13th game gave tOSU a third top 25 win!

BU defeated KSU on Championship Saturday. This gave BU two top 25 wins for the year!

The results of the CCG's added to the resume of each victorious team. Clearly, the results were factors. But, a CCG itself was not the reason BU was left behind. They didn't have as many top 25 wins as the 4 teams ranked above them.

Last year, OU did not need a CCG. They earned 4 top 25 wins without one.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What is up with the third person mantra?

What was the spin the committee gave? The fact that the whole season matters? The PSU loss to Pitt matters? The loss by 39 points to UofM matters?

CCG games are crap. Division winners paired against one another. The B1G west has been weak since the B1G expanded. Conference expansion has made the CCG nothing but a money grab. PSU did not play as difficult an IC as tOSU or UofM. PSU did not play as difficult an SOS as tOSU. Unbalanced schedules... weak divisions...

You don't understand how the Big 12 champ was left out? They lost two games! Dominated by the Buckeyes. The Sooners ended with two top 25 wins. Two!

What Slaton feels about who should get into the playoff means shit! The CFP Committee is tasked to put the 4 best teams into the playoff. There is absolutely nothing that states it should be conference champions.

I would hate to see something like that happen. We have seen 4-loss champions before... Pitt, UConn from the BE... VT and FSU from the ACC. That would not help determine a worthy champion!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is up with the third person mantra?

What was the spin the committee gave? The fact that the whole season matters? The PSU loss to Pitt matters? The loss by 39 points to UofM matters?

CCG games are crap. Division winners paired against one another. The B1G west has been weak since the B1G expanded. Conference expansion has made the CCG nothing but a money grab. PSU did not play as difficult an IC as tOSU or UofM. PSU did not play as difficult an SOS as tOSU. Unbalanced schedules... weak divisions...

You don't understand how the Big 12 champ was left out? They lost two games! Dominated by the Buckeyes. The Sooners ended with two top 25 wins. Two!

What Slaton feels about who should get into the playoff means shit! The CFP Committee is tasked to put the 4 best teams into the playoff. There is absolutely nothing that states it should be conference champions.

I would hate to see something like that happen. We have seen 4-loss champions before... Pitt, UConn from the BE... VT and FSU from the ACC. That would not help determine a worthy champion!

I guess I am one that feels unless a team is blowing an opponent out each and every week that margin of victory thing..at least for me has very little merit..even then based on on conference schedule I am not sure I for one would use it as a measuring stick...example..Wv doesn't turn the ball over what feels like 100 times against OU..they might have won that game...

As far as how conferences have set themselves up is on them..

OU's loss to the Buckeyes was an early season OOC game...didn't seem to be applicable to a team like USC that 3 losses or WISKEY..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am one that feels unless a team is blowing an opponent out each and every week that margin of victory thing..at least for me has very little merit..even then based on on conference schedule I am not sure I for one would use it as a measuring stick...example..Wv doesn't turn the ball over what feels like 100 times against OU..they might have won that game...

As far as how conferences have set themselves up is on them..

OU's loss to the Buckeyes was an early season OOC game...didn't seem to be applicable to a team like USC that 3 losses or WISKEY..

Umm... PSU lost two games. tOSU lost 1. Both losses could be considered worst than tOSU's.

And, I'm pretty sure USC's 3 losses were considered. That kept them out of any kind of discussion.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you have people choose who gets in there is a problem. I would have no problem with an 8-4 conference champion making a playoff field as an underdog. I am in favor of winning your way in and not just winning the vote. PSU fans must feel like Bernie Sanders Supporters with the DNC.

We should stop calling it a national championship playoff and call it the CFB invitational Tournament. Records don't matter. Invite the same teams every year, always be heavy on the B10 and SEC because they are really much better than everyone else.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm... PSU lost two games. tOSU lost 1. Both losses could be considered worst than tOSU's.

And, I'm pretty sure USC's 3 losses were considered. That kept them out of any kind of discussion.

But where did USC finish in the standings? They finished ahead of THE WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY!...How?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But where did USC finish in the standings? They finished ahead of THE WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY!...How?

USC beat UW... a top 4 team... on the road! The committee likey alot.

USC also beat Colorado. The committee has the Buffs ranked #10.

Let me count up the quality WVU wins...

Zero.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end, WVU beat two P5 teams with a winning record.

Like I have said for years, give WVU a schedule of weaker teams like the good ole days, and WVU can become relevant again!

It's when you lose to the likes of ECU, UConn, and SU every year that you are going to run into trouble.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you have people choose who gets in there is a problem. I would have no problem with an 8-4 conference champion making a playoff field as an underdog. I am in favor of winning your way in and not just winning the vote. PSU fans must feel like Bernie Sanders Supporters with the DNC.

We should stop calling it a national championship playoff and call it the CFB invitational Tournament. Records don't matter. Invite the same teams every year, always be heavy on the B10 and SEC because they are really much better than everyone else.
I agree, so what if a team is 8-4 and won its division and CCG, If that is how their conference determines their champion then so be it. Teams get hot at different times in sports all the time and that makes it great. If we have the CFB post season system in other sports we don't get Nova last year in basketball or Boston winning its first WS in forever a few years ago or wildcard teams winning the super bowl in the NFL ect... Its :trash:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name means everything, Slaton, the committee will change their reasons and excuses EVERY year to get name brands into it whenever there is ANY wiggle room. Had Purdue finished with the EXACT resume OSU had, PSU would be in the "playoff"......piss poor excuse for a playoff. Copy the 1AA playoff, or just forget the games and alternate giving it to OSU or Alabama every year......

I think there is definitely some truth to it...the criteria seems to change annually and it usually benefits programs that have the reputation...