• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get how any of these crap teams are better than UCF as a option.

Great TV market #19
Decent football program
Florida Recruiting
Largest School in state of Florida

Cincy and Houston....who gives a crap about those teams.

I know we need some east coast friends if we expand but adding any Florida team or Cincy is gonna hurt our recruiting. We're just now starting to recruit OH well and the only P5 competition we have is tOSU. Florida has always been our honey hole but if you add UCF or USF, again, that adds more recruiting competition. From a competitive standpoint, I would take Houston and BYU. If we take 4, add Colorado State and Memphis or Boise State. I don't really have a reason for liking CSU other than all of their facility upgrades and potential. With Memphis, FedEx will add a big time sponsor for the conference. Boise State doesn't make sense geographically but competitively, they're much better than UCF, USF, UC, or UCONN. As far as traveling goes, I know it sucks as fans not having an away game that we can travel to but for team travel, other than jet lag, what's the difference of flying 5-6 hours to BYU or taking a bus 6 hours to Louisville?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did USF hurt our Florida recruiting?

Fed Ex is good.....have you heard of Disney, Pratt Whitney, Lockheed Martin, and NASA? They put a lot of cash into UCF and there is a host of others.

I do not buy into the Fed Ex hype anyway.

And like has been mentioned before, it is all about $$$$ and if that is the case the TV market for Orlando is a more profitable move.

UCF along with a team like BYU makes more sense $$$$ wise.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 2016= BE 2009...........

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 2016= BE 2009...........
Not sure where you are going with the comparison, but 2009 Big East had no ranked team preseason, and final ranking had 3 ranked teams, Cincinnati, sPitt, and WVU. 2016 Big 12 preseason has 4 ranked teams. Time will tell how many Big 12 are ranked at the end of the season.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be interesting to see how this conference were to look and feel if LHN were transitioned to Big12 network and we added 2-4 schools with good tv markets.

Amazing how so many "smart" people can botch something so simple. Greed is an ugly thing indeed.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you are going with the comparison, but 2009 Big East had no ranked team preseason, and final ranking had 3 ranked teams, Cincinnati, sPitt, and WVU. 2016 Big 12 preseason has 4 ranked teams. Time will tell how many Big 12 are ranked at the end of the season.
Nothing to do with ranked teams, very little to do with schools and teams at all. The conference is being run in a reactionary, less than professional manner. In 2009 the BE was in a circle the wagons mode, looking at who they could invite to get the numbers up, but not water down the league. They said they were fine at 8 teams, UNTIL the raids came. The B12 is behaving the same, only with what looks like more desperation, basically putting out a casting call for all comers to audition.

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to do with ranked teams, very little to do with schools and teams at all. The conference is being run in a reactionary, less than professional manner. In 2009 the BE was in a circle the wagons mode, looking at who they could invite to get the numbers up, but not water down the league. They said they were fine at 8 teams, UNTIL the raids came. The B12 is behaving the same, only with what looks like more desperation, basically putting out a casting call for all comers to audition.
Now I follow. Sorry, sometimes I'm a bit slow. Your points are well taken.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

?? It is??...when the BE had the dumpster fire of half the conference leaving they reached out to a 1-AA school in UCONN to step up their long term plan to become a Divsion 1 school...don't see the Big12 going down that road..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?? It is??...when the BE had the dumpster fire of half the conference leaving they reached out to a 1-AA school in UCONN to step up their long term plan to become a Divsion 1 school...don't see the Big12 going down that road..
Arkansas State and Northern Illinois..............the B12 IS going down that road, at breakneck speed. They are even talking to Temple........

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas State and Northern Illinois..............the B12 IS going down that road, at breakneck speed. They are even talking to Temple........

I heard either Dave Weekly or Caridi say that letting these smaller teams make presentations was more about being PC than actually considering them as an actual expansion team. I don't see how taking a national name like BYU is being desperate. BYU would automatically be in the top half of the Big XII in most sports. If you think the Big XII is being desperate in considering teams like BYU and Houston, what's your opinion on the BIG when they took Rutgers and Maryland?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard either Dave Weekly or Caridi say that letting these smaller teams make presentations was more about being PC than actually considering them as an actual expansion team. I don't see how taking a national name like BYU is being desperate. BYU would automatically be in the top half of the Big XII in most sports. If you think the Big XII is being desperate in considering teams like BYU and Houston, what's your opinion on the BIG when they took Rutgers and Maryland?
First off, we are not talking about BYU, they are a no brainer, and most leagues would love to have their national following on board. The discussion, IMO, starts AFTER BYU, Houston is traditionally a pretty decent sports school, but are they REALLY P5 material? I question why the B12 was happy to stand pat up till now, and then hold an open audition for these "spots", last I heard, nearly 20 schools had "applied" for the two or four spots. You bring up UMD, THAT was where the B12 REALLY screwed up by sitting on their hands, the ACC was vulnerable right then, and a forward thinking B12 should have jumped at taking away two if not four teams from them. Several of the football schools were unhappy with the tobacco road schools right then.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East
WVU
TCU
Cincy
UConn
USF
UCF
ISU
Houston

West
Texas
OU
OSU
KU
KState
BYU
Baylor
Texas Tech

Go to 16, put the newbs in the east and BYU in the west. If Texas and OU bolt in a few years or take 2 more with then we are left with enough "p5" schools to move on with that have been on the rise for a few years. OR when LHN dies and we form our own conference networks we have good tv markets and brands.

Be a fun division for WVU imo.

Last edited:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are talking to none of those schools DAD...those schools are trying to talk to them...none of them will be Big12 teams....NONE

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are talking to none of those schools DAD...those schools are trying to talk to them...none of them will be Big12 teams....NONE
They put out an invite to listen to ANYONE, they ARE talking to them, I surely HOPE they don't take any of them, but with the current league leadership, who knows?

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They put out an invite to listen to ANYONE, they ARE talking to them, I surely HOPE they don't take any of them, but with the current league leadership, who knows?
Did you read this article dad? Ask the Monkey – Why Expansion | Big 12 Fanatics

I think, from the sounds of things, that it is dead on. The Big XII isn't really looking to expand, just get a better Tier 1 deal. The threat of expansion might just get the conference a couple million more without actually adding anyone.

Remember, college football has nothing to do with football and everything to do with money.