• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, I'm new to SportsHoopla, IMO, I think the Big 12 should expand, adding 4 schools:

1. UCF Knights - Will have a footprint in the Central Florida region market.
2. Cincinnati Bearcats - a travel partner / true rival for WVU.
3. Memphis Tigers - they have FedEx Corp in their back pocket $$$$$.
4. Colorado State Rams - once again the Big 12 will have a footprint in the Denver market.
Welcome

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, I'm new to SportsHoopla, IMO, I think the Big 12 should expand, adding 4 schools:

4. Colorado State Rams - once again the Big 12 will have a footprint in the Denver market.

Agreed, except for CSU. Denver market doesn't really care for collegiate sports. Replace CSU with Tulane. You get the N.O. market and far better recruiting grounds, IMO...

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi guys, I'm new to SportsHoopla

Welcome..... and a tip for the new member: if you want to get on the good side of SportsHoopla Admin, make sure you make it known how much the SEC sucks... particularly Vanderbilt.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome..... and a tip for the new member: if you want to get on the good side of SportsHoopla Admin, make sure you make it known how much the SEC sucks... particularly Vanderbilt.

He's actually a huge fan of Urban Meyer and Ohio state.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An side bit of info: everyone says Big12 is so 'down', but in reality the conference stacks up in all three sports with any conference.

Baseball: as of today, are two conf teams in World Series, with a possibility of a third
Basketball: one of the strongest CBB conferences in the country
Football: a team in the playoffs.

yes, Texas is down in football, and that's the 'most important' sport of the three financially, but with a conference with only ten teams, the Big12 does alright.

the only real reason for expansion is money.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if it's only for money, the only reason to expand is to aquire some big-time programs from other Power five conferences, and that aint happening.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if it's only for money, the only reason to expand is to aquire some big-time programs from other Power five conferences, and that aint happening.

I think the same thing.
So lets be the first to go with 16 teams and add:

Cinncy
BYU
Memphis
USF
UCF
Houston

So when Oklahoma/Texas leave it can look like the WAC all over again.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the same thing.
So lets be the first to go with 16 teams and add:

Cinncy
BYU
Memphis
USF
UCF
Houston

So when Oklahoma/Texas leave it can look like the WAC all over again.
I would say Conference USA but your point is valid.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, except for CSU. Denver market doesn't really care for collegiate sports. Replace CSU with Tulane. You get the N.O. market and far better recruiting grounds, IMO...

Recruiting I agree. But market I don't. NO market doesn't give a shit about Tulane and joining the Big 12 won't change that. Denver market doesn't care about college sports but CSU seems to be all in on football and NFL fans need something to watch on Saturday. Give them 5 years and they may turn the town.

Plus land grant university vs small private school. Which one has more alumni and fans?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting I agree. But market I don't. NO market doesn't give a shit about Tulane and joining the Big 12 won't change that. Denver market doesn't care about college sports but CSU seems to be all in on football and NFL fans need something to watch on Saturday. Give them 5 years and they may turn the town.

Plus land grant university vs small private school. Which one has more alumni and fans?

Small private school with outstanding academics. Big 12 sorely needs another school with an excellent academic reputation. Plus, I would rather go to N.O. than Colorado Springs for a football game.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small private school with outstanding academics. Big 12 sorely needs another school with an excellent academic reputation. Plus, I would rather go to N.O. than Colorado Springs for a football game.
It's in Fort Collins, and I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. They know how to have a good time in FoCo.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been and stayed in Ft Collins about 5-6 years ago for work...nice little 'downtown' with outdoor cafes etc.

Actually went to the campus and saw the football field, at that time. Not sure what they got now.

Really like the area, as for the campus it reminded me of Texas Lutheran University in Seguin Texas a little. I didnt see all of it though. Looked like a typical smaller type college, with a small football facility. Big12 money would kick it into gear I'm sure.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to stop talking about improving other programs so they "deserve" to be conference members. It's like finding a big fat tub of goo and saying "hell, boys, if I tie her up to a water trough for a month and don't feed her then put her on a treadmill for six months, let her hair grow out and shave off that mustache she'll be a real keeper".

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been and stayed in Ft Collins about 5-6 years ago for work...nice little 'downtown' with outdoor cafes etc.

Actually went to the campus and saw the football field, at that time. Not sure what they got now.

Really like the area, as for the campus it reminded me of Texas Lutheran University in Seguin Texas a little. I didnt see all of it though. Looked like a typical smaller type college, with a small football facility. Big12 money would kick it into gear I'm sure.
Ft Collins is a very cool area.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is the best get, the pure angst and pistivity that it causes Texas and OU fans on this board proves it. the interest is already there. Houston would win the SEC east right now, would throttle Texas right now causing even more loathing and may well beat OU and knock them out of a playoff spot this year so... need to get Houston.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome aboard! :thumb:

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is the best get, the pure angst and pistivity that it causes Texas and OU fans on this board proves it. the interest is already there. Houston would win the SEC east right now, would throttle Texas right now causing even more loathing and may well beat OU and knock them out of a playoff spot this year so... need to get Houston.

At some point we have to think about our university too. Adding Houston does absolutely nothing for WVU. Honestly we need someone closer in proximity to have a travel buddy with. Cincy fits the bill. I think the B12 should add cincy and BYU and be done. Or don't add anyone and wait for ethier this conference or the ACC to break apart.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, and the best part is CU has never fully captured the Colorado market, so if CSU had any success they could easily be "the Colorado team".