• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football TV Ratings — Sports Media Watch

Glance through this and it will show you that WV from a TV perspective is not that big of a draw. Because let's face it the numbers do not lie. Last year their best showings were the bowl game and the TCU game (which didn't go over 1mm viewers).

To put in perspective even Auburn vs Ole Miss are over 3mm and Auburn was terrible.

Except they are not getting paid for it like WVU is. It's ok, no one actually believes that most SEC teams can get that much anyway.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah yeah but you know it's troll bait to keep throwing it out there. I've got no problem with your motivation but let's not pretend you're not telling the whole story either.

Let's not pretend you're telling the whole truth ethier.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except they are not getting paid for it like WVU is. It's ok, no one actually believes that most SEC teams can get that much anyway.
Vandy makes more playing in the SEC than WV. Reread your post and think about that fact.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe we left this conference.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they'll be very good at all. They graduated a lot of the O-line which is where Kugler hang's his hat since he played and coached it in both college and the NFL. (That part I like because I used to watch our RBs and QBs run for their lives.)

He fired a lot of staff last year so there is that too.

He's convinced he can't recruit enough talent and depth on defense to have them on the field very long...which is probably correct. But not many can! So he's hitched his wagon to a ball control offense...mainly the running game and use a lot of clock in between plays to shorten the game. The anti HUNH if you will. (He's got a little of Bret Beilema in him. Only problem is they don't have the talent to outphysical very many people)

They have almost zero chance if they fall behind much. That means they are just finishing the game by the middle of the 2nd quarter way too often...even when they are only down a couple of scores. The only way they'll come back from deficits is if the other team hands them the ball a few times.

Damn, i'll see them twice this season. @UT and @UTSA. The UTSA game at the dome is usually fun, with so many El Paso peeps living in San Antonio. I went to the UTSA/UTEP bball game @UTSA this season, you would've thought it was the haskins center.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, i'll see them twice this season. @UT and @UTSA. The UTSA game at the dome is usually fun, with so many El Paso peeps living in San Antonio. I went to the UTSA/UTEP bball game @UTSA this season, you would've thought it was the haskins center.
Maybe they'll surprise me and be better than I think. I understand not wearing your defense out. But, you just can't run, run pass on 3rd and long and expect to compete with any of the P5s..and the better G5s. But,

A lot of UTEP alumni in both Austin/SA area as well as DFW. There were more UTEP fans in the stands than North Texas fans last year at Denton according to my daughter. Several years ago UTEP had several players from the Keller, Southlake, Richland Haltom, Haltom area that have returned home. So that one makes sense.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just post facts, the SEC got 5mil. West Virginia got 9mil. I don't doubt that the SEC payout will get larger, but until it does all you're doing is guessing.

2015 Rights & Licensing revenue 2015

TX 63,000,000
ALA 57,000,000
Florida 56,000,000
KY 56,000,000
Okla 55,000,000
TN 55,000,000
Georgia 50,000,000
Arkansas 50,000,000
LSU 50,000,000
A&M 47,000,000
Auburn 46,000,000
Missouri 42,000,000
South Carolina 41,000,000
Miss St 40,000,000
Miss 39,000,000
Kansas 38,000,000
OK State 36,000,000
WVU 36,000,000
KSU 34,000,000
T Tech 34,000,000
ISU 34,000,000

Looks to me like one conference on average has a much higher revenue number for their rights and licensing. Especially when you consider the lowest SEC team is higher than the six from the Big 12. Private schools do not have to respond to FOIA requests, no Vanderbilt, TCU, or Baylor.

WVU is $3,000,000 lower than Mississippi. Looks like WVU revenue - 9 million(your number) is 27,000,000. Looks like Mississippi revenue - 5 million(your number) = 34,000,000

Mississippi 34,000,000 > WVU 27,000,000 by 7,000,000

Your turn to spin, France.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Rights & Licensing?

Rights/Licensing: Includes revenue for athletics from radio and television broadcasts, Internet and e-commerce rights received from institution-negotiated contracts, the NCAA and conference revenue-sharing arrangements; and revenue from corporate sponsorships, licensing, sales of advertisements, trademarks and royalties. Includes the value of in-kind products and services provided as part of a corporate sponsorship (e.g., equipment, apparel, soft drinks, water and isotonic products). Also includes revenue from food, concessions and parking.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Private schools do not have to respond to FOIA requests, no Vanderbilt, TCU, or Baylor.
I heard Del Conte, TCU athletic director on XM this morning and he referred to this issue exactly in his interview. He said several things I found interesting. He said they were more than satisfied with their 3rd tier revenue. They were also debt free from their renovation costs and able to pay coaches more than many think because of being debt free and not having to disclose those salaries because they are a private school. They've been able to keep several coaches because of this. He also said the LHN would have been a big deal had they thought a conference deal would work. But the method(s) to deliver content is unknown at this time. It was a real interesting conversation.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Del Conte, TCU athletic director on XM this morning and he referred to this issue exactly in his interview. He said several things I found interesting. He said they were more than satisfied with their 3rd tier revenue. They were also debt free from their renovation costs and able to pay coaches more than many think because of being debt free and not having to disclose those salaries because they are a private school. They've been able to keep several coaches because of this. He also said the LHN would have been a big deal had they thought a conference deal would work. But the method(s) to deliver content is unknown at this time. It was a real interesting conversation.
I read some of their figures a few months ago on their renovations and how every one was paid for before the first shovel broke ground. Impressive, TCU was a great get for the conference no question.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some of their figures a few months ago on their renovations and how every one was paid for before the first shovel broke ground. Impressive, TCU was a great get for the conference no question.
Here is the thing they weren't no matter how successful they are in football inviting TCU was a mistake especially when Louisville, Cincy and Florida schools were on the table.

Some of you guys really don't understand how the economics work in college football now and are stuck in a football/regional mindset.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:shocked: I looked this up and we signed a deal with IMG for $112.5M over 13 years. That's $8.7M per year, and NU keeps $31M in sponsorship rights with the deal, making the whole thing worth over $11M per year. That seems like a lot.

wow.

did you just google 'Cornhusker radio network contract' or similar?

I'm going to see if I can find what Texas' is.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing they weren't no matter how successful they are in football inviting TCU was a mistake especially when Louisville, Cincy and Florida schools were on the table.

Some of you guys really don't understand how the economics work in college football now and are stuck in a football/regional mindset.
How they work now or how they will work? How it will be delivered now or in the future?

I'm thinking you are correct in that the the regional issue will be a factor only for the sports other than football and basketball. And only then because of travel expenses. I'm guessing we will see more "national" conferences for those two sports. That will require contraction instead of expansion IMHO. Instead of conferences trying to grab certain city/regional markets, they are going to want "nationwide" markets. To hell with just the east coast, west coast, etc markets, they are going to want them all. Let's be real. The ACC didn't want Notre Dame just for the northern Indiana/Chicago market, they wanted their national appeal.

On the other hand, if I could predict the future, I'd win the lottery every time.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How they work now or how they will work? How it will be delivered now or in the future?

I'm thinking you are correct in that the the regional issue will be a factor only for the sports other than football and basketball. And only then because of travel expenses. I'm guessing we will see more "national" conferences for those two sports. That will require contraction instead of expansion IMHO. Instead of conferences trying to grab certain city/regional markets, they are going to want "nationwide" markets. To hell with just the east coast, west coast, etc markets, they are going to want them all. Let's be real. The ACC didn't want Notre Dame just for the northern Indiana/Chicago market, they wanted their national appeal.

On the other hand, if I could predict the future, I'd win the lottery every time.
It's all about capturing markets and not overlapping. You think the SEC would like to boot Miss State and Vandy? I think they probably would and chances are high that Auburn would be highly considered to get the boot also if it meant capturing a new market like Virginia or NC.

It's just the way things roll now.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about capturing markets and not overlapping. You think the SEC would like to boot Miss State and Vandy? I think they probably would and chances are high that Auburn would be highly considered to get the boot also if it meant capturing a new market like Virginia or NC.

It's just the way things roll now.
Without a conference network though that doesn't matter as much. The reason for spreading into new markets is to command a higher price from cable companies, so unless they start a conference network it wouldn't make a big difference.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow.

did you just google 'Cornhusker radio network contract' or similar?

I'm going to see if I can find what Texas' is.
I knew our radio was through IMG so I googled Husker Sports Network IMG deal. It was an old article but that contract hasn't expired yet.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:shocked: I looked this up and we signed a deal with IMG for $112.5M over 13 years. That's $8.7M per year, and NU keeps $31M in sponsorship rights with the deal, making the whole thing worth over $11M per year. That seems like a lot.

I know Texas left it's flagship station, KVET in Austin recently, and moved to ARN, which is multiple local channels but that dont have the broadcast power in the Austin area that KVET has. But, they have the rights to stream live around the world, which was their selling point. As for radio, looks like the network is about 30 stations around the state.

Seven year deal, looks like about a million per. So it's less than the Nebraska one you pointed out. But I couldnt find any particulars.