• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU has more students.
Is a land grant institution.
Has fans that actually travel.

Some Lousiville fans will argue 2006 was better. Others would argue the 2013 season (where they lost to UCF) was better. They went 12-1 that year. You are basing that season off one game when they beat an overrated gator team.

There's more categories then not that WVU can say they are better.
West Virginia has like 5k more students so that is immaterial.
I have respect for all land grant universities but in this case it's not an argument for conference inclusion.
You might have a point on travel but that is the only meaningful one you've made.

Louisville > WV

I know it hurts but it's true.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville cheated their way to a basketball title by using prostitutes to lure in recruits.
Their football program is the most overrated thing ever, Bobby Petrino? No thanks, we already have a Baylor.
Houston would be a better add than Louisville and Cincy is a far better add with better academics and in a better state for recruiting.
The Big12 hit a home run by passing on Louisville, it's not even debatable. The ACC made the mistake by making the panic add when the BIG took Maryland.
It's absolutely debatable.
Cincy wasn't part of the conversation.
You're drunk if you think Houston makes any sense for the Big 12.

Louisville would have been a better selection over WV and that's why when the Big 12 folds they will be in a P5 conference and WV will not.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the dumbest thing that's ever been said on the hoop. You have lost any cred you ever had.
Says the guy that claims Houston makes more sense for the Big 12. I'm not the one with a credibility issue my couch burning friend.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Louisville would have been a better selection over WV and that's why when the Big 12 folds they will be in a P5 conference and WV will not.
Ha, dream on Alice, the Big12 isn't going anywhere. If any conference is going to fold it's going to be the low rent ACC when the Big12/SEC/BIG tears it apart. Guess who is in that conference BTW?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big XII needs to add Tulane because their throwback logo alt helmets are awesome!

20521399-mmmain.jpg

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, dream on Alice, the Big12 isn't going anywhere. If any conference is going to fold it's going to be the low rent ACC when the Big12/SEC/BIG tears it apart. Guess who is in that conference BTW?
Holy shit you're delusional.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia has like 5k more students so that is immaterial.
I have respect for all land grant universities but in this case it's not an argument for conference inclusion.
You might have a point on travel but that is the only meaningful one you've made.

Louisville > WV

I know it hurts but it's true.

Bahahahahaha actually WVU almost double the enrollment Lousiville has.

In your opinion that may be the only meaningful thing I said, but in reality all 3 things are truthful. 2 of which are not debatable facts. Basing Louisville being the better option because they won a bball NC is laughable at best.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The B12 will not fold because Texas isn't ready to be just another vote. Plus not sure how some ADs feel about sending Olympic sports out to the great west or up the Midwest and getting the bill.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia was a great add, man do they travel. And they're doing something right, they make 9mil a year off of Tier 3 content if I'm not mistaken.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the real mistake was not WV, it was TCU over Louisville.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B12 will not fold because Texas isn't ready to be just another vote. Plus not sure how some ADs feel about sending Olympic sports out to the great west or up the Midwest and getting the bill.

I am waiting for this to change. I think it is ridiculous to treat other sports like Football and Basketball. Universities should separate revenue and non-revenue sports. Set up regional conferences for non-revenue sports and leave Football and Basketball in the P5

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bahahahahaha actually WVU almost double the enrollment Lousiville has.

In your opinion that may be the only meaningful thing I said, but in reality all 3 things are truthful. 2 of which are not debatable facts. Basing Louisville being the better option because they won a bball NC is laughable at best.
No Louisville is a better choice because:

1. The state of Ky has a population of 4.4mm to 1.8 in WV.
2. Louisville has a higher academic ranking.
3. Louisville has an endowment of 300mm more than WV.
4. Overall Louisville has had more success atheletically.
5. According to US News UL has 16K students to WV 22.5K (hardly double).
6. Again being a land grant University has nothing to do with it.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the real mistake was not WV, it was TCU over Louisville.
I don't disagree but it's laughable that the WV posters think they are superior to UL as its not a defensible position.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checking... So adding 2 schools in the mountain time zone makes no sense at all for us. Got it

I want to make it clear, I think WVU and TCU were great adds athletic wise for the Big 12.

The Big 12 should be doing more to keep WVU happy, but the problem is, WVU is far, far away from one state in the Big 12, and that state doesn't really care about West Virginia. Austin to Morgantown is 1400 miles. Cincinnati would be a good add on for WVU, but will the Big 12 do that? If it is Houston and BYU, you would have to agree, the writing is on the wall.

Good luck to WVU with the politics of the Big 12.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to make it clear, I think WVU and TCU were great adds athletic wise for the Big 12.

The Big 12 should be doing more to keep WVU happy, but the problem is, WVU is far, far away from one state in the Big 12, and that state doesn't really care about West Virginia. Austin to Morgantown is 1400 miles. Cincinnati would be a good add on for WVU, but will the Big 12 do that? If it is Houston and BYU, you would have to agree, the writing is on the wall.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Louisville is a better choice because:

1. The state of Ky has a population of 4.4mm to 1.8 in WV.
2. Louisville has a higher academic ranking.
3. Louisville has an endowment of 300mm more than WV.
4. Overall Louisville has had more success atheletically.
5. According to US News UL has 16K students to WV 22.5K (hardly double).
6. Again being a land grant University has nothing to do with it.

1) sure, but WVU's proximity to large markets such as Pittsburgh and dc can make this less of a weakness
2) Louisvilles academic ranking is 8 spots a above WVU, that's hardly a difference
3) endowment really has nothing to do with it (per your land grant argument)
4) They are 50/50 in the sports that matter. Sure Lousiville is stronger in basketball but I'd argue WVU is stronger in football
5) Enrollment WVU 28,772 Louisville 22,599 (was wrong there I admit)
6) ok

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree but it's laughable that the WV posters think they are superior to UL as its not a defensible position.

You were the one that stated Louisville was the better choice all round. You basically stated Louisville was superior to WVU, which isn't the case.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

can't say I disagree. But if this conference is to survive they'll have to add at least 2 teams, if not today at some point.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am waiting for this to change. I think it is ridiculous to treat other sports like Football and Basketball. Universities should separate revenue and non-revenue sports. Set up regional conferences for non-revenue sports and leave Football and Basketball in the P5

Yup, I echo what you say.