• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is the best get, the pure angst and pistivity that it causes Texas and OU fans on this board proves it. the interest is already there. Houston would win the SEC east right now, would throttle Texas right now causing even more loathing and may well beat OU and knock them out of a playoff spot this year so... need to get Houston.

I think the thing with Houston is, for some of us, is we've already done that.

of course, TCU was another that we'd already had, so I guess there is precedence.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing with Houston is, for some of us, is we've already done that.

of course, TCU was another that we'd already had, so I guess there is precedence.

Dont forget the seat fiasco. Still some bad blood remaining from that.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point we have to think about our university too. Adding Houston does absolutely nothing for WVU. Honestly we need someone closer in proximity to have a travel buddy with. Cincy fits the bill. I think the B12 should add cincy and BYU and be done. Or don't add anyone and wait for ethier this conference or the ACC to break apart.
We could add Cincy and UH then wait on the SEC/BIG to begin the raid on the ACC then get a few more to go to 16.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could add Cincy and UH then wait on the SEC/BIG to begin the raid on the ACC then get a few more to go to 16.

Don't forget the PAC in this equation/scenario.
If the SEC and B1G expand to 16 members, I cannot see the PAC idly sitting around doing nothing. The PAC certainly does not need any more Pacific Time Zone members, so if they do expand, it will be into the Central Time Zone.

And if the major conferences are all eventually increasing to 16 members, the PAC would most likely poach the 3 biggest brand names from the Big XII: Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.... and since the PAC covets AAU academic institutions, they would then probably go after AAU member Iowa State as the 16th member of the PAC (Texas and Kansas are also AAU member academic institutions).

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC and B1G expand to 16 members, I cannot see the PAC idly sitting around doing nothing. The PAC certainly does not need any more Pacific Time Zone members, so if they do expand, it will be into the Central Time Zone.

And if the major conferences are all eventually increasing to 16 members, the PAC would most likely poach the 3 biggest brand names from the Big XII: Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.... and since the PAC covets AAU academic institutions, they would then probably go after AAU member Iowa State as the 16th member of the PAC (Texas and Kansas are also AAU member academic institutions).

With their crappy pac 12 network, no thank you. OU would probably go, but Texas likes money too much.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No Houston, I like BYU. National fan base, decent at hoops, gets the 12big into the Salt Lake City market.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The PAC has schools looking at the Big12 as a possible home, Big12 schools aren't going to that conference now. That was a possibility at one time but not now.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why Notre Dame doesn't come on board.
Wouldn't their NBC contract fall under Tier 3 rights???
That would be a lot of money right there.

Why is ND hitching their wagon to the ACC?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think so. NBC has the rights to all their home games, so that's more extensive than tier 3. An Irish fan might be able to provide more detail, but just saying their NBC deal is tier 3 isn't correct. The LHN doesn't have the rights to all of Texas's home games.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Houston, I like BYU. National fan base, decent at hoops, gets the 12big into the Salt Lake City market.

as far as programs go, I like them too. I mean, they are solid athletically...and I'd like my team have the chance to beat them at least once, at some point...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe their agreement with the ACC to allow their other sports to participate there says if they join a FB conference it has to be that one.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IIRC, The ACC's new buyout provisions make it almost impossible to raid them.

I believe most of the conferences have done this.

The B12 really is stuck in this situation. If they lose Texas or OU it's basically over. Wasn't Texas flirting with basically everyone a few years ago?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC has schools looking at the Big12 as a possible home, Big12 schools aren't going to that conference now. That was a possibility at one time but not now.

All Texas fans(other than me, apparently) are in love with the PAC option: I mean, there good programs, fun places to go to road games (I mean, LA or Oregon or Phoenix are more fun than Lawrence, Waco and Ames...), but it just does not sit right with me.

The distances are staggering, Texas would be a real outsider. Culturally, Texas fans are right at home with USC, Stanford, etc.folk, but football-wise it just seems too different in a way I cant really describe. We are right in the middle of PAC, SEC type of folks, not really a fit in either.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Texas fans(other than me, apparently) are in love with the PAC option: I mean, there good programs, fun places to go to road games (I mean, LA or Oregon or Phoenix are more fun than Lawrence, Waco and Ames...), but it just does not sit right with me.

The distances are staggering, Texas would be a real outsider. Culturally, Texas fans are right at home with USC, Stanford, etc.folk, but football-wise it just seems too different in a way I cant really describe. We are right in the middle of PAC, SEC type of folks, not really a fit in either.

Sounds like the same issue for Texas in the B10.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the same issue for Texas in the B10.

yes indeed.

and that's why I've always been keen to keep the Big12. We just dont fit anywhere else.

But, I'm betting Texas is going to have to make a choice in the future about where it wants to call home.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But even though Texas is not a fit in B1G either, it might be the best place to go.

It's Central time orientated (leaving out PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, etc) and we'd get to play Nebraska again. :thumb:

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes indeed.

and that's why I've always been keen to keep the Big12. We just dont fit anywhere else.

But, I'm betting Texas is going to have to make a choice in the future about where it wants to call home.

The SEC is probably the closest now with LSU and Mizzou at least.