• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best bargains among college football coaches - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Wildcats' Rich Rodriguez best bargain in college football - ESPN
By Travis Haney

It’s getting increasingly difficult to find a bargain in major college coaching -- or at least, the concept of value is being redefined because of continually climbing salaries.

Even with an evolving marketplace, a handful of programs are still getting solid deals. Here are the best examples, culled from contract files obtained by ESPN.com and USA Today’s salary database. Themes among the choices include Pac-12 coaches, veterans and private school employees.

1. Rich Rodriguez, Arizona

Estimated 2015 salary:
$3 million

Rodriguez’s failed run at Michigan worked out fantastically for Arizona and AD Greg Byrne. Not only did it make Rodriguez available but it dropped the price tag for a proven coach who is again proving himself. The Wildcats, even with a freshman quarterback and a number of young skill players, broke through to win the Pac-12 South and reach the Fiesta Bowl in 2014. Michigan is looking more and more like an aberration for Rodriguez. Maybe it was more program than coach in Ann Arbor, huh? “That guy can coach,” one peer of Rodriguez’s texted last week. “I know that.”

2. Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech

Estimated 2015 salary: $2.8 million

Johnson’s teams are often far from flashy, but the bang-for-buck results are inarguable. In his seven seasons in Atlanta, Georgia Tech has played in four ACC title games and twice won 10-plus games. The 11-3 season in 2014, including an Orange Bowl victory against SEC upstart Mississippi State, headed off any thoughts that Johnson could be gravitating toward the hot seat. With eight defensive starters and quarterback Justin Thomas back in 2015, the Yellow Jackets are again poised to be competitive in the league’s Coastal Division.

3. Bill Snyder, Kansas State

Estimated 2015 salary: $2.85 million

K-State has been playing with house money for some time when it comes to Snyder, who amazingly has won 187 games in 23 seasons in Manhattan.

The program has long been a model for coaches in terms of identifying and developing players. No one does it better. But there’s no choice when you’re as isolated as any Power 5 campus. Thank goodness for the Kansas jucos. No coach in the country is more respected by peers, both personally and for the job he has done. As much as we marvel now at Snyder’s tenure, the legend will only grow as time passes. Good luck to the staff that follows him.

4. David Cutcliffe, Duke

Estimated 2015 salary: $1.8 million

Duke very rarely has the most talented team on the field, yet the Blue Devils are 19-8 the past two seasons, including a division title in 2013. Those who have worked with Cut aren’t surprised. Coaches still laugh about Ole Miss firing him one year removed from a 10-win season, and that was 10 years ago. “They’re so sound on offense,” an ACC coach told me, referring to Cutcliffe’s Duke teams. “They don’t have FSU’s [talent], but they will not beat themselves. If you beat one of his teams, you have to earn it.”

5. Steve Addazio, Boston College

Estimated 2015 salary: $2 million

I talked this past weekend with a former BC assistant who poked fun at how poorly the school paid during Tom Coughlin's tenure. It has been a while since then, but Addazio is still one of the better Power 5 deals out there. His lunch-pail, blue-collar sentiment works well for the Golden Eagles. (Never mind that the school’s in a well-to-do part of Boston.) Even in a division that includes FSU and Clemson, BC is holding its own with Addazio’s ability to develop and inspire players.

Honorable mention:

Todd Graham, Arizona State ($2.5 million)

Graham represents another Pac-12 steal. Jokes about him job-hopping aside, Graham has proven himself as a winner -- including ASU’s 2013 division title.

Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech ($2.5 million)

Very much in the same vein as Snyder, Beamer built a program from nothing and it’ll be incredibly difficult to follow him.

Nick Saban, Alabama ($7 million)

Obviously the price tag is extreme -- larger than anyone in the sport -- but we’re talking value here and Saban re-established the Bama brand with multiple conference and national titles.

Art Briles, Baylor ($3.2 million)

Briles is making good money, but you have to consider the work he has done to make Baylor relevant after years of ineptitude. His salary is on the uptick following consecutive league titles, but he’s still a steal for that dollar figure.

Paul Chryst, Wisconsin ($2.5 million)

This is clearly speculative, but for the type of job Wisconsin is -- top 20 or 30, arguably -- it modestly pays its head coaches. That’s a good and bad thing if you’re a Badgers fan.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Duke coach should be #1.

and Paul Chryst for $2.5M/year is a bargain for Wisconsin, not the coach.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Saban on the list makes no sense... the most expensive coach money can buy.

It makes no sense he isn't number one on the list. Saban is arguably worth double what he makes for what he has done to not only the football program but the university as a whole.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes no sense he isn't number one on the list. Saban is arguably worth double what he makes for what he has done to not only the football program but the university as a whole.

??? If that's the case, then why doesn't someone offer him an easy 12 mill(save two mill!) and steal him away?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??? If that's the case, then why doesn't someone offer him an easy 12 mill(save two mill!) and steal him away?

Not every school can offer 60 million over 5 years for them to coach a football program. And it doesn't make sense for ANY school to offer anything over 8 million at this point since he's the highest paid coach as it is. Why pay more than you have too? Having said that, Saban is still vastly underpaid for what he's done there. And IMO at 7 million is a huge bargain.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alabama will do whatever it has to in order to retain him. If that needs to be $12mm to keep him like you say, then they will find a way to get there and I think other schools around the country know that. Plus as he continues to get older and closer to retirement, you have to think that in his mind Alabama's going to be his final stop.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not every school can offer 60 million over 5 years for them to coach a football program. And it doesn't make sense for ANY school to offer anything over 8 million at this point since he's the highest paid coach as it is. Why pay more than you have too? Having said that, Saban is still vastly underpaid for what he's done there. And IMO at 7 million is a huge bargain.

How can you call a guy 'underpaid' when he's making more than everyone else in the business? I'm not saying Saban isn't worth it. If I'm Bama, I'm doing everything in my power to keep him happy.. and they are by paying out the nose for him. But I still don't see that as a bargain. It's almost like going over the cap and paying luxury tax to make sure you keep your favorite players on staff.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bargain coaches are overrated.

hqdefault.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you call a guy 'underpaid' when he's making more than everyone else in the business? I'm not saying Saban isn't worth it. If I'm Bama, I'm doing everything in my power to keep him happy.. and they are by paying out the nose for him. But I still don't see that as a bargain. It's almost like going over the cap and paying luxury tax to make sure you keep your favorite players on staff.

It's called ROI(Return on Investment).

It's been documented that since Saban came to Alabama he has increased the revenue by 30-40 million a year or something crazy like that. Mal Moore said it was the best investment the AD has ever made.

The original article is talking about best bargain, not a list sorted by who makes the least.

And Saban gets raises just about every year it seems like. Texas supposedly offered him 10 million, but it was never anything official, just rumors. Alabama raised him up to 7 million that year. Plus, many other benefits to being the head coach at Alabama.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who cares if he is making more than everyone else. All the revenue he ALONE has produced for the university and athletic department would suggest he's grossly underpaid. You can't compare him to be everyone else because nobody is bringing in that kind of dough.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. In terms of revenue, it makes sense.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that Saban also had his MORTGAGE paid off by Alabama fans. Which was $3.1 million tax free.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called ROI(Return on Investment).

It's been documented that since Saban came to Alabama he has increased the revenue by 30-40 million a year or something crazy like that. Mal Moore said it was the best investment the AD has ever made.

The original article is talking about best bargain, not a list sorted by who makes the least.

And Saban gets raises just about every year it seems like. Texas supposedly offered him 10 million, but it was never anything official, just rumors. Alabama raised him up to 7 million that year. Plus, many other benefits to being the head coach at Alabama.
This. 420, it was Robert Witt who said Saban was the best investment the university ever made. And its true. In his first 3 seasons Saban won a NC and expanded BDS. Hell, 92,000 people showed up to his first A Day. The money is flowing because of football.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban's inclusion basically discounts the entire list as they seem to be trying to get across the point that some schools have excellent coaches that aren't paid nearly what other elite coaches in college football are making....

If you are going to include Saban, "Based on what he's done for the program he's a bargain as the highest paid coach in college football!!!"? Then where is Urban Meyer? Where is Jimbo Fisher? Heck, where is Dabo Swinney? Talking about guys re-establishing programs and all.... It seems money is no object in their assessment of what a "bargain" is...

Stupid list with criteria all over the map.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Rod should be getting a new contract soon. Arizona got him on the downswing & will have to pay up soon.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An aside: About the Orange Bowl... GT's Bowl record under Paul Johnson hasn't been that good, 2-5. The argument is that opponents have plenty of time to prepare to defend the triple option offense, and GT's D doesn't match up against their big time opponents' O. So, in the 2015 Orange Bowl, "Macgyver" head coach, Dan Mullen's 10-2 Miss State team (winners against LSU, TAMU, Auburn, and run-heavy Arkansas) surrender 49 points to the "undersized" Yellow Jackets. That's 15 more points than they gave up to any opponent all year, and ironically, GT's margin of victory. This wasn't some unmotivated, spoiled brat SoCal squad coached by a man-child, this was a long-time little brother gnashing teeth for a chance to make a statement on a major Bowl stage, coached by Mr. Program Savior. They got their asses handed to them. Disappointment, Embarrassment, Bad Juju for future Bowl pairings.

Of course, Dan Mullen got a raise. He makes more than Paul Johnson.