• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Berube still has a job?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Cobiemonster, I agree but there aren't too many of those types of coaches around outside of those already discussed. What are the odds that Hextall steps out of the FO and coaches the team next year?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Cobiemonster, I agree but there aren't too many of those types of coaches around outside of those already discussed. What are the odds that Hextall steps out of the FO and coaches the team next year?

I think someone with experience will come in here though, I'm just not sure who, since I think there will be lots of coaches available - and it will be a matter of dominoes falling too - I think he'll wait until someone lands someone and go from there

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok boys.. Back on topic. Berube got the axe. Who do you want? Do you think Hexy will be in a rush to sign a new coach or wait to see how everything settles? I heard Murray wants to coach the NHL again. However, my gut thinks Hextall wants him to continue dEveloping the younger guys in the minors. Thoughts?

Assuming Hextall hires someone he wants to guide the Flyers to their next Cup rather than someone who is more focused on developing the young guys and growing as a team, I'd want, in this order:

1. Paul MacLean: Took some pretty weak Ottawa teams to the playoffs playing a big time puck possession style. I think he'll do wonders for Gostisbehere and Sanheim's games in the next few years.
2. Pete DeBoer: Took a pretty flawed Devils team to within 2 games of a Cup. And the Flyers could never beat him ever, even when he coached freakin' Florida, so hire him now before Pittsburgh grabs him in the offseason and, you know, starts playing actual hockey against us instead of whatever it was they tried to do this year.
3. Dave Tippett: He can get the Flyers to the playoffs while instilling that defensive mindset that I think wins Stanley Cups. Of course we'll win it only after he gets fired and someone like MacLean or DeBoer comes in. But we'll win it.

DO NOT HIRE:
Tortorella (Unless he agrees to verbally and physically belittle Pannotch every day)
Bylsma (Thoroughly outcoached in every big game I've ever seen, and a bunch of the little games too)
Babcock (I think he's overrated. Good coach, but not worth the $$ and power Toronto can and probably will offer him)
Julien (He should have been fired after 2010 and would have been fired after 2011 if Tim Thomas hadn't had arguably the greatest single season in league history. Average coach who hung on by a thread long enough to be carried to glory, then coasted on Tim Tom's accomplishment for the past few years.)

I'd be pretty happy with McLellan, although I don't get to watch too many Sharks games to get a feel for the guy. And I have absolutely no frame of reference to talk about any junior or AHL coach.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hextall is taking his time to find a coach who fits the present roster as well as additions and subtractions that may occur. I am sure this will include a guy who is on board with Hextall's philosophy. I wonder if Hextall takes a look at a guy like Rod Brind'Amour in Carolina. Just saying.
Retro: I was thinking the same thing. One of the problems this team continues to have is slow starts to games and slow starts to season. I would think that would not be a problem under Brind'Amour. A lack of effort was not acceptable to him. He may, be best with a young team he can mold and a veteran team like ours probably needs a veteran coach.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brind'Amour fits most if not all the criteria Hextall recently mentioned albeit somewhat cryptically. He's relatively young, the coaches and players alike like him in Carolina, he does have a significant amount of coaching experience although no head coaching experience (which may be his only negative), he teaches defense and doesn't mind vets or young players, he likes a big, powerful team with speed, and he doesn't rag on players. So we shall see how this plays out.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brind"Amour tells his team "Play like I did or I will Kick your ass!" They go out and play with skill, effort, heart and desire. Berube said, "Play like I did or I will Kick your ass!". They go out and Suck. Would be a nice change.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Brind'Amour has enough coaching experience to be considered. He's only been an assistant in Carolina for a couple years I think? Maybe even just this year?

edit: ok, since 2011, so he's got 4 years an assistant under his belt.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Brind'Amour has enough coaching experience to be considered. He's only been an assistant in Carolina for a couple years I think? Maybe even just this year?

edit: ok, since 2011, so he's got 4 years an assistant under his belt.

I still think the Flyers need an established guy in here - as I've said before, the last two coaches with no experience have come in and did well initially but it went off the rails late - notice the one guy with legitimate NHL experience in Lavi got this team further than anyone else

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. McClellan is available to interview for the job. I admit that I'm not that familiar with him and I have not watched many SJ games in the past. Everything I've read about him I do like. What are your thoughts?
San Jose Sharks 'part ways' with coach Todd McLellan, opening door for Flyers - Broad Street Hockey

I like him. The only downside is how poorly the Sharks have played in the playoffs under McClellan. But you can't coach heart in to Marleau and Thornton. The going gets tough in the playoffs, and they wilt.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ideal coach would be someone who has a vision of the up-tempo team with mobile, puck moving d-men that he wants this team to become, but is flexible enough to make adjustments based on the (lack of) talent he has on hand in that regard currently.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ideal coach would be someone who has a vision of the up-tempo team with mobile, puck moving d-men that he wants this team to become, but is flexible enough to make adjustments based on the (lack of) talent he has on hand in that regard currently.

That would certainly be great

That being said it's a two way street - the GM has to do a better job than the previous one to give the coach the players he needs to win - coaches are only successful if they have the talent to win

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully some team will hire Berube. We can certainly use an extra pick.

I wonder how long until coaches are considered tradeable, imagine the rumors/chaos that could cause.

I wouldn't mind see Pete DeBoer or Dave Tippett, I think they could both bring an aspect to this team that they're currently missing as well as be good for our younger guys development (which should be the biggest priority the next season or 2 anyway).

I am probably in the minority but I think Bylsma could be a decent fit as well. I know the knock is that he got out coached but the Pens lack heart, grit, jam and determination when things don't go their way in the playoffs and a coach can only do so much if the players aren't playing. He did a good job managing severely depleted rosters at times and still got them into the Playoffs though while getting the most out of players who hadn't showed that level of production before.

I don't think Babcock is the answer, while a good coach I just don;t think the Flyers have the type of roster to play the game the way he coaches the Wings (i.e. not particularly physical, we're not fast enough imo to not be physical).

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know awaz likes Disco Dan. I just don't want to follow the Pens, meaning it seems like in the past we get there players and they get ours. Coaching almost the same.
I'm kind of interested of learning more about McClellan to be honest. He was Babcock's former Asst. I'm curious why he couldn't get the Sharks to a cup final with some of the rosters he had?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know awaz likes Disco Dan. I just don't want to follow the Pens, meaning it seems like in the past we get there players and they get ours. Coaching almost the same.
I'm kind of interested of learning more about McClellan to be honest. He was Babcock's former Asst. I'm curious why he couldn't get the Sharks to a cup final with some of the rosters he had?

I think looking at the Sharks roster the problem in that they're just not built to win a series in the west. It's undeniable that they have a good bit of high end skill and they even have size but by the times the playoffs come around they look tired and don't seem to want to or be able to grind other teams out. I also have to feel the toxicity of the coach/management and players relationships isn't a problem exclusive to this year and maybe it had been building for a while completely out of sight. The other thin is that Niemi while a pretty good goalie had some bad playoffs series for them.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think looking at the Sharks roster the problem in that they're just not built to win a series in the west. It's undeniable that they have a good bit of high end skill and they even have size but by the times the playoffs come around they look tired and don't seem to want to or be able to grind other teams out. I also have to feel the toxicity of the coach/management and players relationships isn't a problem exclusive to this year and maybe it had been building for a while
completely out of sight. The other thin is that Niemi while a pretty good goalie had some bad playoffs
series for them.

I believe the writing was on the wall for McClellan to part ways after failing to advance being up 3-0 to the Kings and couldn't finish them off. I don't see how you blame the coach, but everyone knows it's the coach who becomes the scapegoat. Why wasn't he let go then? Hextall is very familiar with him. My new list of coaches of choice would be:
1) julien
2) McClellan
3) DeBoer
4) Tippet
* Assuming we have no shot with Babcock.
Btw, any chance of getting Sutter out of LA? It's a pipe dream I know.