• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

belachick as good as guy lombardo (60's packers coach) ?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the SB trophy is named after him I don’t think you needs to put “60’s Packers coach” in parentheses.

Props on spelling both coaches names completely wrong though. :thumb:

I get jokes ..........

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a lot of respect for Bill Wlash, but he was the WR coach when Paul Brown developed the short passing game. Bill didn't innovate, he learned and tweaked an existing philosphy.
It would seem the historical data I provided shows you to be wrong. It shows Walsh as the QB coach and the OC who brought in the WC offense while with Cincy.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Walsh was never the OC of the Bengals and as someone has already pointed out, the short passing WCO is diametrically opposed to the downfield "bombs away" Air Coryell offense.

How old are you? Do you even football, Bro?
As you can see by what I posted that is completely false. It was so close it was often confused with the WCO.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would seem the historical data I provided shows you to be wrong. It shows Walsh as the QB coach and the OC who brought in the WC offense while with Cincy.

Belichick, the defensive coach who's job was to stop it in the 80's as Giants DC, is of a different opinion:
"The West Coast offense should really be the Ohio River offense because it's Paul Brown's offense that [Bill] Walsh took out of there," Belichick said, referencing Walsh's 1980s San Francisco 49ers teams that won three Super Bowls.
Belichick hails Paul Brown's 'Ohio River' O

He went on further and has opined several times on it, that Walsh used the very same verbiage & terminology as Paul Brown's offense.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFCE was not the weakest division over that stretch, that's a myth. While the Patriots have dominated that division, the rest of the league has not.

Division & Team Records Since 2002 Re-Alignment : nfl

That only proves my point somewhat, the AFC East has the highest winning percentage, solely because of the the other teams are garbage. Patriots only one also with a winning record outside of division, only the NFC West like the AFC East had just one team with a winning out of division record. You make an argument the AFC South was just as lousy.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets went to the AFC championship game twice in that period. Even if you take the Patriots 159-49 record from that total, while still counting the divisional beatdowns by the Patriots on the rest of the division. The winning percentage is still far from the worst.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That only proves my point somewhat, the AFC East has the highest winning percentage, solely because of the the other teams are garbage. Patriots only one also with a winning record outside of division, only the NFC West like the AFC East had just one team with a winning out of division record. You make an argument the AFC South was just as lousy.

:laugh3:

Remember when the Seattle defense was being touted as a historically great D? It was seen as such because they were fattening up their stats on 3 of the most pathetic offenses (Rams, 9ers and Cards) the NFL had ever seen.

Your Rams are going to find out soon that you don't win the SB in week 3 or week 7. Maybe they'll do it next February, but it won't be because they toughened themselves up on the shit division they play in.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick, the defensive coach who's job was to stop it in the 80's as Giants DC, is of a different opinion:

He went on further and has opined several times on it, that Walsh used the very same verbiage & terminology as Paul Brown's offense.

These kids just don't know what they don't know :L

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are comparing full careers Bill did not start with NE he got fired in Cleveland. If he was so great why did he get fired after 4 or 5 years not being able to turn Cleveland around. He did not sniff a championship until 10 years into his career. Lombardi has 5 in 7 years

Oh and there were 12 teams in the NFL in 1959 twice as many as the 6 you and others were quoting. By 1961 the league had increased to 14 teams which is the year Lombardi won his first championship. He started coaching the Pack in 1959 and won his first of 5 championships 2 years later in 1961 when there were 14 teams.

Eastern Conference[edit]
Western Conference[edit]

14 that's kind of cute.
At least you refer to them as championships unlike others. BB has 5 SB as a HC, 7 total.
Look I said Lombardi was a great motivator. I said both coaches turned struggling franchises around. Both are/were great.
It's unfortunate both coached in totally different eras. GB played one playoff game in those days. The seasons were 12 and 14 games long. They certainly didn't have a cap to deal with. BB has been consistently dominant for two decades. Lombardi hung around for 10 years. Why didn't he coach in 68? Then went onto WA in 69?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 that's kind of cute.
At least you refer to them as championships unlike others. BB has 5 SB as a HC, 7 total.
Look I said Lombardi was a great motivator. I said both coaches turned struggling franchises around. Both are/were great.
It's unfortunate both coached in totally different eras. GB played one playoff game in those days. The seasons were 12 and 14 games long. They certainly didn't have a cap to deal with. BB has been consistently dominant for two decades. Lombardi hung around for 10 years. Why didn't he coach in 68? Then went onto WA in 69?

Lombardi must have wanted to step down from coaching but stayed on as the Packer GM in 1968. He must not have liked just doing the GM work and took an offer from the Redskins and then became ill. In 1968 without Lombardi the backers declined to being mediocre for the next 20 years until Ron Wolf showed up. In 1968 the Pack had their first losing record since 1959. His first year a Washington had their first winning record at 7-5-2 which was the first winning record in 14 years. He then became ill and passed away.

Lombardi stepped down as head coach of the Packers on February 1, 1968, staying on as the team's general manager for 1968. He handed off the head coaching position to Phil Bengtson, a longtime assistant, but the Packers finished at 6–7–1 and out of the four team NFL playoffs. In 1969, Lombardi became head coach and general manager of the Washington Redskins. The Redskins would finish with a record of 7–5–2, their first winning record in 14 years. The foundation that Lombardi put in place helped Washington's early 1970s success under former Los Angeles Rams Coach George Allen.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""There are two similar but distinct offensive strategic systems which are commonly referred to as "West Coast offenses". Originally the term referred to the Air Coryell system popularized by Don Coryell. However, following a journalistic error, it now more commonly refers to the offensive system devised by Bill Walsh while he was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals,"

Guess you lose, huh?

Lol... All this is saying is that both were developed on the west coast.

"Similar BUT DISTINCT"... Meaning the offense's are totally separate from one another in scheme. You just proved my point. Too funny.

Air Coryell is built around a vertical passing game and taking deep shots. Walsh's WCO is built around short passes and getting rid of the ball quickly.

The fact that you think this can even be discussed... holy shit. lol. There's very few similarities... for instance, both use the short passing game in place of running plays often. However, in principle -- they couldn't be more opposite.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""There are two similar but distinct offensive strategic systems which are commonly referred to as "West Coast offenses". Originally the term referred to the Air Coryell system popularized by Don Coryell. However, following a journalistic error, it now more commonly refers to the offensive system devised by Bill Walsh while he was the offensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals,""

Dang, the facts are just killing you, aren't they?

How high are you to read this and ACTUALLY believe this says Bill Walsh's system was an influence of Air Coryell.

LMAO... amazing. This paragraph is pertaining to which offensive system has claim to the name "West Coast Offense" and actually mentions that they're distinct from one another.

What on Earth is happening to your brain?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Walsh coined the name and developed the WCO. Brown merely had a precursor of it. Thanks.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... All this is saying is that both were developed on the west coast.

"Similar BUT DISTINCT"... Meaning the offense's are totally separate from one another in scheme. You just proved my point. Too funny.

Air Coryell is built around a vertical passing game and taking deep shots. Walsh's WCO is built around short passes and getting rid of the ball quickly.

The fact that you think this can even be discussed... holy shit. lol. There's very few similarities... for instance, both use the short passing game in place of running plays often. However, in principle -- they couldn't be more opposite.
LOL! Reading comprehension is fundamental. But, yeah, if it makes you feel good, keep on keeping on.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How high are you to read this and ACTUALLY believe this says Bill Walsh's system was an influence of Air Coryell.

LMAO... amazing. This paragraph is pertaining to which offensive system has claim to the name "West Coast Offense" and actually mentions that they're distinct from one another.

What on Earth is happening to your brain?
Key words; "devised by Bill Walsh". Argument over. Only a fool would not equate the Coryell offense with the Walsh one.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Reading comprehension is fundamental. But, yeah, if it makes you feel good, keep on keeping on.

This is impossible. You must be trolling

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key words; "devised by Bill Walsh". Argument over. Only a fool would not equate the Coryell offense with the Walsh one.

However, following a journalistic error, it now more commonly refers to the offensive system devised by Bill Walsh

"Following a journalistic error..."

Oh... my... god

Also, nobody is here discussing which offense deserves any title. It's entirely irrelevant to the conversation. I don't give a shit which one you call the WCO. Saying they're comparable systems is what is utterly astonishing.

This is very embarrassing for you. lol

The harder you fight the further you sink. As they say

Only a fool would not equate the Coryell offense with the Walsh one.

Why, though? They're clearly polar opposite in philosophy. Lol

Your best case for a comparison is that they were both formed on the same coast and fought over claim to a title.

Please. Explain to me how an offensive system based on 7 step drops and vertical deep routes - attempting to strike a big play. Is in anyway similar to an offense which utilizes ABSOLUTELY ZERO 7 step drops and revolves around short/quick passes.

Last edited: