• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bama v. TAMU - CBS, 1430 Central

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he got that foot down

TigersBleaux

Self-Deprecating
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,999.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tip of his toe looks out. But i dont think they can overturn that.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-college-football-targeting-20160930-snap-story.html said:
The NCAA’s football rules committee said it wants to be sure officials across the country understand what constitutes forcible contact with the “crown” of the helmet.

“It seems that some officials have been interpreting the crown of the helmet to mean the tip-top portion of the helmet only,” said Rogers Redding, the association’s football secretary-rules editor. “We want everyone to understand that the crown of the helmet starts from the area above the face mask to the dome of the helmet.

Last week at the Rose Bowl, UCLA defensive back Tahaan Goodman delivered a helmet-to-helmet hit that forced Stanford receiver Francis Owusu to leave the game with a concussion. Officials on the field and in the replay booth did not call a penalty.

Stanford Coach David Shaw later expressed his concern about the play, saying: “If you lead with your helmet on another player’s helmet, it should be a penalty. I don’t know why that’s disputed.”

On Wednesday, the Pac-12 Conference supported the decision, stating that “contact was with the front of the helmet and not the crown (top) of the helmet.”

It would now appear that, given Friday’s statement from the NCAA, the hit should have been a foul.

So a rule clarification made by the NCAA after the Stanford vs UCLA game basically describes perfectly what happened here.

The officials were blatantly wrong in not calling the first foul targeting.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty close. Call on the field was a catch. Don't know if that can be overturned.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catch will stand.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooo when you've got the ball, targeting can't be called? I'm not sure that's how the rules go.

You don't have to sit and defend what WE ALL KNOW was a blown call. It's safe to admit you guys got away with one and move on.

One? How about the perfectly defended pass that was called PI. Guess the ref didn't have the balls to say "A&M made the Bama player miss the ball, so we are calling a foul". :dhd:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooo when you've got the ball, targeting can't be called? I'm not sure that's how the rules go.

You don't have to sit and defend what WE ALL KNOW was a blown call. It's safe to admit you guys got away with one and move on.

If you are a runner, then you are not a defenseless player. Why do you think they have a thing called "defenseless player" to start with?

If a runner has "given themselves up", such as sliding, or running out of bounds, then they become defenseless and a QB is defenseless as long as they aren't in the act of running.

All other players are basically considered defenseless.

I'm not admitting to anything just because some of you don't understand the rules. I said right away it wasn't targeting because he wasn't a defenseless player.

If a person running the ball gets blown up, it's their fault.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Massive double standard here....

Both were targeting:

For the first one, the only relevant part was crown of the helmet, whether the ballcarrier was defenseless or not is completely irrelevant according to the rule.

Second one was targeting as well, based on the defenseless part...
maxresdefault.jpg

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are a runner, then you are not a defenseless player. Why do you think they have a thing called "defenseless player" to start with?

If a runner has "given themselves up", such as sliding, or running out of bounds, then they become defenseless and a QB is defenseless as long as they aren't in the act of running.

All other players are basically considered defenseless.

I'm not admitting to anything just because some of you don't understand the rules. I said right away it wasn't targeting because he wasn't a defenseless player.

If a person running the ball gets blown up, it's their fault.

Targeting is hitting a defenseless player in the head OR making contact with the head while leading with the helmet. It was clearly the ladder.

Cut it with the 'defenseless' crap. That has nothing to do with the play in question.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That miss was on the receiver. Gotta turn around.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miscommunication.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00