• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'BAMA Reloads for 2014

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not belittling Nehlan at all, actually putting his work here into perspective since some of you homers think he was the best thing to ever happen to football. Has nothing to do with DH or the next ten coaches that come here ..he was a average coach at a university that accepted average play...hell he never would have coached years anywhere now a days with the same record... Not my fault he was horrible in bowl games and only won one conf title. Besides the 93 team he did nothing his last 10 years here only finishing ranked once his last 11 years. Only had less than 4 L's once his last 10'years. You guys belittle DH for a 7-6 season but good ol Donny is worshipped for his...you belittle our staff and admin every chance you get kind of funny watching you fall on your nehlan sword.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just do not get the love for Holgorsen, and the belittling of all things past. When Nehlen was coach WVU was playing a stronger schedule, recruiting was regional, and WVU was relatively unknown, also there was one less game each year to win, compare winning percentage, not number of wins.

All-Time Coaches

They were? With the likes of Temple, Rutgers, Richmond. Virginia, Kentucky and a not very good Va Tech team back in the day cluttering the schedule every year??.and then throw in random games against the likes of Cinncy or a Pacific?..compared to seeing the current Big12 schedule year in and year out? :L

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be happy when we do not have to talk about Stew anymore....he really did nothing for the program right...i mean if we are going to judge him fairly like DH he won with RR's recruits and only left a handful off players for the next guy....:yahoo:

I would argue that the schedule from the early 1980s was tougher than today, this was before WVU was in a league, playing an Eastern independent schedule. PSU, sPitt, 'Cuse, were then on par or above UT, OU and OSU, BC was that eras Baylor, Look at the schedule WVU played from 1982 to 1987 for instance, and before just counting ranked teams recall that there was only a top 20 then, you will see names like Miami, Oklahoma, USCe, VPI, FSU, ND, plus all the teams that became the BE. WVU will be OK, but I do not think we will be with the current head coach.

Really??? Granted, Miami was a powerhouse at the time, Oklahoma was a one and done away game. USCe, FSU, ND were one and done away games. VPI never did anything before Vick. UT and OSU were perennial top 10 teams at the time making Pitt and Syracuse look like jokes. We never beat PSU until 1984. BC was no Baylor and during their heydey Flutie years they never beat WVU.

I recall that most of those years, we were an automatic win for Miami. Other than in 1988, we were a periennal dormat for top 20 teams. Now we play 4-5 ranked teams every year and are competitive. Other than a couple of good years in the 1980s we were not very competitive and Nehlen can attribute a majority of wins against teams that were even less competitive.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were? With the likes of Temple, Rutgers, Richmond. Virginia, Kentucky and a not very good Va Tech team back in the day cluttering the schedule every year??.and then throw in random games against the likes of Cinncy or a Pacific?..compared to seeing the current Big12 schedule year in and year out? :L

OH, but you want to count IAST, KU, W&M, GAST, JMU, Norfolk St as some kind of good win? sPitt and PSU were top five teams in the early 1980s, BC and 'Cuse were ranked most years, 1981, Nehlens 2nd year, WVU was 9-3, losing to #1 PSU, #4 sPitt, and Cuse, 1982, 9-3 again, losses to #2 sPitt and #9 and eventual NC PSU, and losing to FSU in the bowl, go back and look before just trying to list names. Guys WVU was 4-8 last year, getting CREAMED by Maryland, Baylor, KSU, and was never in the game at KANSAS, THOSE teams SHOULD be wins, THEY are not OU and Texas.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope none of the Alabama players think this will be an easy win. Stars are just evaluations of the time, some kids bloom and grow later than others. That's how a 3 star ends up in the NFL etc. They grow, spend a bunch of years in college and become better, while many 5 star players are pretty much full grown. It's better in general to have 5 stars, but it's not some automatic thing.

I have no idea what to expect. I hope we've reloaded, but that remains to be seen. As the 2010 season showed, you can have tons of talent but it doesn't matter if the attitudes aren't right. We had more talent in 2010 than we did in 2009, but the 2009 teams had way more heart and better attitudes. Undefeated vs 3 loss season.

Can't wait for the season to start, and I'll be pulling for Alabama to win 100-0. :D

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH, but you want to count IAST, KU, W&M, GAST, JMU, Norfolk St as some kind of good win? sPitt and PSU were top five teams in the early 1980s, BC and 'Cuse were ranked most years, 1981, Nehlens 2nd year, WVU was 9-3, losing to #1 PSU, #4 sPitt, and Cuse, 1982, 9-3 again, losses to #2 sPitt and #9 and eventual NC PSU, and losing to FSU in the bowl, go back and look before just trying to list names. Guys WVU was 4-8 last year, getting CREAMED by Maryland, Baylor, KSU, and was never in the game at KANSAS, THOSE teams SHOULD be wins, THEY are not OU and Texas.

And, WVU should have been able to beat a woeful Temple and Cincy team under Nehlen...

... and WVU should have been able to beat a CUSA team and pathetic Colorado under Stewart.

What is your point DAD?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Should they have last year? Really?...had this conversation with BBW just yesterday...I know it seems hard to accept..kind of like an alchoholic that doesn't know he has a problem...but reality check..Wv just wasn't very good last year...and neither Don Nehlen or your hero Bill Stewart could have done a better job with them...period!!.....

At the end of the day Maryland WAS better than Wv...Baylor was heads and shoulders better....as I told BBW this AIN"T the Big East...when Wv had marginal teams in the BE they could still manufacture a decent season...in the Big 12 you get exposed for what are or what your not......its funny DAD, how many times was Wv picked to win a watered down BE and finished no better than 3rd on many occiasions..and who was the coach at that time?...don't remember seeing Holgorsen anyhwere on the side lines....

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope none of the Alabama players think this will be an easy win. Stars are just evaluations of the time, some kids bloom and grow later than others. That's how a 3 star ends up in the NFL etc. They grow, spend a bunch of years in college and become better, while many 5 star players are pretty much full grown. It's better in general to have 5 stars, but it's not some automatic thing.

I have no idea what to expect. I hope we've reloaded, but that remains to be seen. As the 2010 season showed, you can have tons of talent but it doesn't matter if the attitudes aren't right. We had more talent in 2010 than we did in 2009, but the 2009 teams had way more heart and better attitudes. Undefeated vs 3 loss season.

Can't wait for the season to start, and I'll be pulling for Alabama to win 100-0. :D

Hopefully, we see more of that 2010 attitude. No need to worry about WVU. Concentrate on LSU and Auburn. Those are the only two games that matter.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern for the Bama game is that we come out healthy. In 1998 we had a very good team and opened against Ohio State... That one game destroyed what could have otherwise been an outstanding year. The injuries sustained in that game were felt throughout.

This team is nowhere near the level of the 98 team. We lose a bunch of key players (like in 98) and we could be looking at 1-11...

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should just cancel the game with 'Bama. People worried about injuries in '98 and possibly the first game of the 2014 season, but fail to realize the amount of injuries this team suffered in 2013. Have DH call Saban and decide the outcome over the phone so nobody will get hurt. Maybe play the game on Playstation or Xbox.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys can get a couple of quick scores and take Alabama out of their game plan, you have a shot. That's the only way you beat Alabama. Make them play catch up.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that the schedule from the early 1980s was tougher than today, this was before WVU was in a league, playing an Eastern independent schedule. PSU, sPitt, 'Cuse, were then on par or above UT, OU and OSU, BC was that eras Baylor, Look at the schedule WVU played from 1982 to 1987 for instance, and before just counting ranked teams recall that there was only a top 20 then, you will see names like Miami, Oklahoma, USCe, VPI, FSU, ND, plus all the teams that became the BE. WVU will be OK, but I do not think we will be with the current head coach.

That was the 80's. Players are bigger and stronger today; there isn't a comparison. What is relevant is that WVU is part of a tough as hell conference today, not back in the 80's......

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys can get a couple of quick scores and take Alabama out of their game plan, you have a shot. That's the only way you beat Alabama. Make them play catch up.

About the only time I'll agree with a Sooner. What WVU needs to do is come out and punch Bama in the mouth. Don't give up and get intimidated the way SEC teams automatically do. Keep in mind, the only teams to whip Bama lately are from the Big 12 (Aggy in their 1st year and the beatdown OU gave Bama in the Sugar Bowl). Bama reminds me of Nebraska in the 90's with the way they intimidate teams and go out and dominate.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only shot....Its the first game of the year. We go in relatively healthy. As a mid season game...Forget it.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think intimidation will be a factor at all honestly. The LSU/Auburn games showed me that WVU is not to be taken lightly by ANY team in ANY conference. DEPTH is our biggest advisary against any higher profile program, we usually lose those games by a backup that's not as talented or the special teams players ( higher rated recruits just trying to see the field for PT)not being on par with our opponent. IMO the LSU losses were a direct result of a lack of special teams players.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern for the Bama game is that we come out healthy. In 1998 we had a very good team and opened against Ohio State... That one game destroyed what could have otherwise been an outstanding year. The injuries sustained in that game were felt throughout.

This team is nowhere near the level of the 98 team. We lose a bunch of key players (like in 98) and we could be looking at 1-11...

:what:??.....They aren't?....

I just don't understand this mentality that Alabama is some mythical super team...didn't they lose to OU in their bowl game...didn't Wv with a very medicore team lost year almost beat OU in Norman?...give me a break about getting hurt....its why these kids came to Wv..to play the best competition out there...

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing how DH's 7-6 and 4-8 teams have no heart, but all those great 7 wins and below Donnie teams (12 out of 20 years) were just bursting with WVU pride....sounds grounded in reality.

You may not agree - but yes, IMO, those Nehlen teams lost with much more class and grit and pride than these recent teams. That is MY reality. And BTW - Nehlen was Coach for 21 seasons, not 20.

Unfortunately, by the 90's - with a few exceptions (93, 96 and 98), Nehlen's teams were not as competative. It was a combination in a fall off in recruiting talent, a changing game vs. same strategy and the move into a then very strong Big East. Nehlen was a class act and his players played hard for him. Their talent level just came up short much of the time and the game had passed Don's style of play by. I watched WVU lose at least 3 games last season they should have won. And they lost badly. Only the Texas loss was hard fought - again, IMO.

If they had played the whole season as hard as they played against Texas and had the same result, I would feel they playing their hearts out but simply came up short. I didn't see that at all.

Maybe I am remembering the Nehlen era through rose colored glasses. Don Nehlen did more for the stature and visibility of WVU than other single person. But even in some particularly painful Nehlen losses, I cannot recall ever turning a game off while play was live. Over the past 2 seasons I have done that about 4 or 5 times.

Maybe that speaks more about the change in me vs. the change in my team. I have kids and a very busy life. I am not going to waste my time watching a team that appears to not really care if they win or lose or if they are playing well. I could spend that time with my kids - time well spent, IMO.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definitely some fairy tale imagination going on there. WVU had some years under Nehlen when the talent level was just as poor as the past two years, and the outcomes of the games and final year results were very similar.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am remembering the Nehlen era through rose colored glasses. Don Nehlen did more for the stature and visibility of WVU than other single person. But even in some particularly painful Nehlen losses, I cannot recall ever turning a game off while play was live. Over the past 2 seasons I have done that about 4 or 5 times.

I happen to agree on this front. One thing you could count on from a WVU football team was they had guys who would "hit". I don't see that across the board from our team anymore. The heart is not there. Plain and Simple.