• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'BAMA Reloads for 2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of being prepared? WOW did you watch a third year coach without a QB last year?????

I guess I remember last year differently. If memory serves, the post game interview after the Maryland debacle, Dana stated that Ford was the guy going forward. Then we find out he was hurt during that same game. Insert Tricket who is a gutsy QB at best. Then there is Paul Millard who had his moments both good and bad. That is three QBs. Who was behind Noel that LSU game?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the he can't coach arguement.....how about Gary Patterson...he was 77-13 the seven seasons before joining the Big 12 he has the same record as DH since joining the league and has not had to deal with the same depth issues....so either Patterson can't coach, or DH is doing a pretty good job with the hand he was dealt. As we fix the depth issues hopefully we see the results on the field, I sport DH cause I support WVU if he does not start showing progression then we will move on...but I am not going to compare his situation to past situations like they are apples to apples nor act like any of our past coaches would have waved a wand and we would be winning 10 plus games a year.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I remember last year differently. If memory serves, the post game interview after the Maryland debacle, Dana stated that Ford was the guy going forward. Then we find out he was hurt during that same game. Insert Tricket who is a gutsy QB at best. Then there is Paul Millard who had his moments both good and bad. That is three QBs. Who was behind Noel that LSU game?

Lets see..who did Stewart have groomed to come in behind Geno...who left Dana scrambling to find...someone....anyone!...to play QB!..Ford seemed to be the only one that understood the offense a the time...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That game AT LSU that was lost by a Clarke fumble by 6 points? Who was on the sidelines at home in the shellacking at home to LSU? I am sick of this no talent BS, If they have talent enough to beat OSU, play nose to nose with Texas and OU, they damn well should be talented enough to beat Kansas............... Last year was a 4-8 year, the worst since 2001, do you remember now?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see..who did Stewart have groomed to come in behind Geno...who left Dana scrambling to find...someone....anyone!...to play QB!..Ford seemed to be the only one that understood the offense a the time...

Brunetti was going to be the guy, Slaton, Then Athey , they left the progam with the coaching change. For God's sake, we are going into year four of Holgorsen's tenure, why hasnt HE brought in a QB? If we go 4-8 next year, will it still be Stewarts fault?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game AT LSU that was lost by a Clarke fumble by 6 points? Who was on the sidelines at home in the shellacking at home to LSU? I am sick of this no talent BS, If they have talent enough to beat OSU, play nose to nose with Texas and OU, they damn well should be talented enough to beat Kansas............... Last year was a 4-8 year, the worst since 2001, do you remember now?

I'm aware of the outcome for the year. Still waiting on who was behind Noel. Why was he still playing even though he was hurt?

Brunetti was going to be the guy, Slaton, Then Athey , they left the progam with the coaching change. For God's sake, we are going into year four of Holgorsen's tenure, why hasnt HE brought in a QB? If we go 4-8 next year, will it still be Stewarts fault?

He has - Paul Millard, Ford Childress, Chavis Rawlings, William Crest, and even Trickett under the DH helm. For God's sake, we are only supposed to be into year three of Holgorsens tenure (oops we know what happened there) and he has brought in five (5) count them five (5) QBs.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha...Brunetti left with the coaching change?

Are you implying Brunetti was lying when he wanted to be closer to home because of his Mom's injuries due to a car accident? Coach Stewart helped him get an NCAA waiver so he wouldn't have to sit out a year. Are you making shit up? Remember DAD... what would Jesus do?

You want us to believe Brunetti was so close to Coach Mullen and his average numbers... that he would turn down a chance to play for the hottest OC in the country?

OK...

One of your best in awhile...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad you asked the question...come on DAD...you are a smart guy..you just don't pick up a phone and say hey..you wanna come play QB at Wv? ..after the majority of 4 and 5 star recruits have been engaged in the process with other schols since their sophmore years of High School..Holgorsen cultivated that relationship with William Crest and got his player...and for the rest ofthe clases it appears as it would be with a typical coaching change his 3rd full year of recuitig has is finally turning the corner in bringing in quality talent...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athey ain't even playing QB these days. He's at some lower division school in his home state... playing a receiver position I think.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... where were the QB's behind Geno when Dana took over?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you asked the question...come on DAD...you are a smart guy..you just don't pick up a phone and say hey..you wanna come play QB at Wv? ..after the majority of 4 and 5 star recruits have been engaged in the process with other schols since their sophmore years of High School..Holgorsen cultivated that relationship with William Crest and got his player...and for the rest ofthe clases it appears as it would be with a typical coaching change his 3rd full year of recuitig has is finally turning the corner in bringing in quality talent...

:10: voice of reason when it comes to recruiting QBs

Look how we recruit now we have offers out to the 2016 class... Well news flash other schools have been doing this for years especially at the QB position... We were 2 years behind the eight ball when DH took over. Stew is not responsible for how recruiting has changed, but he is responsible for not identifying it. Some blame is on DH as well...how did he not turn Genos success into a solid QB recruit.

Brunetti and Athney did not just leave due to coaching changes

Brunetti left because he did not want to sit behind Geno and the NCAA granted him the ability to play immediately.

Athney if I remember correctly was a favor scholarship who really did not deserve a div1 scholly for QB...I believe he is now playing TE at some small school in MN

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen threads get off topic before - but this one has run the gambit and is now a pointless debate about coaches - of years past and present - and across sports. It has become a tit-for-tat back and forth of countering what others are saying even when there is some truth in it, simply because of who is saying it.

All I was trying to do was present the fact of the 'Bama recruiting classes over the last 5 or 6 years to show why their DEPTH is their greatest strength (plus having arguably the best coach in current CFB). Hopefully this thread has allowed some fans to blow off steam and vent. It is going to be a tough season coming up and this team needs to be prepared better than in the past few (last season at least).

And just to clarify - the strangest part of last season is they seemed to be prepared for the toughest games (Texas, OSU, OU) with 1 or 2 exceptions - but seemed totally clueless about who they were playing against in what should have been the cupcake games. So this staff CAN get the team ready for the big games. They simply need to start treating EVERY GAME as the big game - regardless of the opponent. Every win matters. Every play counts. That attitude, that level of effort is what separates WV from the 'Bamas and the FSU's and OSU's. Well, that and being 3 or 4 deep with talent at most every position.... sigh.

They can do better as a team and we can and should expect better from them.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBAR,

On a magical night in Morgantown… December 1, 2007… a national audience was witness to WVU losing as 28+ point favorites. WVU lost a chance to play in the BCS NCG. How did it happen?

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happened because our coach took his eye off the ball and didn't prepare his far superior team to play an inferior opponent. Plus a team of players that had already crowned themselves the winner. They forgot they had to beat Pitt first.

But when you are talking about the backyard brawl - anything is possible. I also remember a game in 1989 when WVU was undefeated and walked onto the field in Morgantown against Pitt and totally dominated to take 31-0 halftime lead. Our team was victorious in their celebration.... at the half. Pitt took the field for the 2nd half and proceeded to score 31 unanswered points to end the game in a tie.

Pointing to a single game can tell you a lot or tell nothing in particular, expecially when it is a bitter rival. Not sure what your question has to do with the thread either?

That 2007 team was a great team, but they also stumbled on the road against USF. That game was a bigger puzzler than Pitt.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happened because our coach took his eye off the ball and didn't prepare his far superior team to play an inferior opponent. Plus a team of players that had already crowned themselves the winner. They forgot they had to beat Pitt first.

But when you are talking about the backyard brawl - anything is possible. I also remember a game in 1989 when WVU was undefeated and walked onto the field in Morgantown against Pitt and totally dominated to take 31-0 halftime lead. Our team was victorious in their celebration.... at the half. Pitt took the field for the 2nd half and proceeded to score 31 unanswered points to end the game in a tie.

Pointing to a single game can tell you a lot or tell nothing in particular, expecially when it is a bitter rival. Not sure what your question has to do with the thread either?

That 2007 team was a great team, but they also stumbled on the road against USF. That game was a bigger puzzler than Pitt.

The tie to your thread is this… Bama has far superior depth and talent. It certainly gives cause to the experts making them a 24+ favorite for the upcoming game.

But, Bama was a 17 pt favorite over OU for the Sugar Bowl. How did that turn out? How did Bama's 4 and 5 star depth of talent look against an overmatched OU squad?

How was OU able to exploit Bama's weaknesses? Did you believe Bama had any weaknesses heading into the Sugar Bowl? Do you believe Bama has any weaknesses heading into WVU's tilt with them?

It is JMO, but I believe Coach Rodriguez when he said in his post-game presser after the '07 loss to Pitt that WVU had looked sharp in practice, that he had not been prepared to see the mess he saw that night.

You are talking about young kids. Coaches can only do so much to prepare their kids for the challenges of the upcoming game.

You criticize the coaching staff on not having the WVU players ready to play the weaker opponents. I could go on to provide you any number of examples of top coaches facing the same problems.

You mentioned that Bama has arguably the best HC in college football. Yet, he couldn't get his boys ready to play against OU last year? All that depth of talent too…

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am sure RR had the team ready and fully prepped - in between his talks with Michigan. He wasn't focused on the game at hand. Are you really surprised he would spin it to cover himself and put the blame on his team? Sure - every/any team can stumble against a weaker opponent.

WVU had a chance to salvage a disappointing season by beating the 2 worst teams in the B12 and possibly get an invite to a bottom of the barrel bowl. But the team was not prepared. That was very evident if you watched the games. I guess I could blame their Mom's - but I wasn't completely sure of the role they played in prepping the team.

I don't think I ever said all of the blame belonged to the coaches. Certainly the players can be held accountable as well. That end of season crash & burn was truly a team effort. You don't have to agree with me.... it is my opinion. If you want to give the coaches a pass on their team prep, you are entitled. If you want to excuse the players for the poor performance because they are young, go ahead - you don't need my permission. But at some point - doesn't everyone involved with the performance of the team need to have SOME accountability?

If not, why even bother keeping score. We can all go out there and have fun and at the end - everyone gets a nice trophy for a job well done. Thats's how my 5 yr old nephews teams do it.

I do agree 100% about your point of 'Bama's performance in their bowl game last season. Everyone, apparently including 'Bama - assumed they would win. I think they all underestimated OU and they got their ass kicked because of it. That is not typical of a Saban coached team. But no team is unbeatable.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess if someone believes in myths… they will keep repeating them.

UofM had Les Miles tagged to replace Lloyd Carr the day of the infamous game against Pitt.

http://www.freep.com/article/20071204/SPORTS06/71204012/ESPN-s-Herbstreit-inaccurate-Miles-U-M-report-will-never-gather-news-report-again

For the life of me, I cannot understand anyone who would believe in some form of conspiracy… that Rich blew the Pitt game on purpose… or that Rich was distracted because of the UofM position. UofM had Miles… until LSU pegged him into the contract shortly before the SECCG.

The WVU lawsuit against Rich was well documented. He and his agent outlined the meetings with UofM's AD Martin… when and where they took place. There was not contact until after the Pitt loss.

As for late season losses last year, it is easy to claim any reason for why you believe they happened.

If you don't want to factor the injuries and their impact on the team facing a true lack of depth… then believe as you do.

Injury-plagued WVU needs 2 wins to go to a bowl | College Football

WVU Football: Mounting Injuries May Have Been Affecting the Mountaineer Team?s Play, Coaches? Judgment | WVU PressBox

Funny how the topic of injuries are thrown around…

If Major Harris didn't get injured on the 3rd play of the game against ND, WVU would have won a NC.

If WVU hadn't played tOSU in the first game of the '98 season, WVU would have won a NC.

WVU loses its last two games of the season last year because the team would not keep fighting… or give effort… or the coaches didn't have them prepared.

But, no credit to the coaches for having kids on the field competing like crazy against ISU… going deep into OT… when some of these players should never have seen the field.

I will never choose to think this way. Sorry…