• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'BAMA Reloads for 2014

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am remembering the Nehlen era through rose colored glasses. Don Nehlen did more for the stature and visibility of WVU than other single person. But even in some particularly painful Nehlen losses, I cannot recall ever turning a game off while play was live. Over the past 2 seasons I have done that about 4 or 5 times.

I happen to agree on this front. One thing you could count on from a WVU football team was they had guys who would "hit". I don't see that across the board from our team anymore. The heart is not there. Plain and Simple.

Who won't hit? Could some of you provide examples?

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definitely some fairy tale imagination going on there. WVU had some years under Nehlen when the talent level was just as poor as the past two years, and the outcomes of the games and final year results were very similar.

I am pretty sure I am speaking English - yet I keep seeing the same statements discounting what I am saying that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what I am saying. For the last time..... I am NOT talking about the TALENT level of Nehlen teams vs. todays. He had high talent teams and he had low talent teams. I am talking about the EFFORT of the players and the PRIDE of a job well done that was evident on the field. There is a difference between EFFORT vs. TALENT. The result was a loss, but they lost with class and though disappointed, I was proud of the effort. The team last season lost and I, for one, was not surprised. They went through the motions - but didn't seem to care if they won (except Texas & OK St). They seemed ill prepared for the teams they were facing, they had no game plan that was evident to take advantage of their opponents weaknesses.

There is talent on the field with this current bunch. We could certainly use more - but lack of talent doesn't seem to be the problem (except maybe QB). It is the effort on display, the work ethic, the teams preparation for the team across the field. It is the game plan.

I am hoping to see all of these factors change this season. Certainly am hearing that the attitudes may be changing. But that doesn't change what I had to endure last year. I guess I just expect better.....

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, let's take a look back at that horrid 1986 squad.

Look at the defensive side of the ball. Those guys would be key in 1988 to that undefeated season. In 1986, they were young, stupid, yes....but also PHYSICAL. Bo Orlando, Ronaldo Turnball, David Grant, Chris Haering. They learned from 1986...and by 1988, were very good. AND THEY HIT, HARD! That team lost to eventual national champion Penn State.... 19-0. Only 19 points! The offense in '86 was very, very bad, with QB Mike Timko, but he was gritty if nothing else. (I'd put Trickett in that category.

The current defense IS NOT as physical as that 4-7 1986 team. Karl Joseph is a hitter... I mean a hitter, but beyond that, I do NOT see the same EFFORT with the INEXPERIENCE. I DO NOT SEE 2016, being like 1988.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look at the defensive side of the ball. Those guys would be key in 1988 to that undefeated season. In 1986, they were young, stupid, yes....but also PHYSICAL. Bo Orlando, Ronaldo Turnball, David Grant, Chris Haering. They learned from 1986...and by 1988, were very good. AND THEY HIT, HARD! That team lost to eventual national champion Penn State.... 19-0. Only 19 points! The offense in '86 was very, very bad, with QB Mike Timko, but he was gritty if nothing else. (I'd put Trickett in that category.

The current defense IS NOT as physical as that 4-7 1986 team. Karl Joseph is a hitter... I mean a hitter, but beyond that, I do NOT see the same EFFORT with the INEXPERIENCE. I DO NOT SEE 2016, being like 1988.

Joseph was not the only kid who would lay the wood. Ask the WR corps from Maryland if our kids could hit 'em the mouth last year. Ask the WR corps from Okie St as well.

They knocked kids out of the game. Same occurred in the TT game.

Did our kids wear down as the season progressed last year? Absolutely... but the same thing happened during the Nehlen years as well.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure I am speaking English - yet I keep seeing the same statements discounting what I am saying that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what I am saying. For the last time..... I am NOT talking about the TALENT level of Nehlen teams vs. todays. He had high talent teams and he had low talent teams. I am talking about the EFFORT of the players and the PRIDE of a job well done that was evident on the field. There is a difference between EFFORT vs. TALENT. The result was a loss, but they lost with class and though disappointed, I was proud of the effort. The team last season lost and I, for one, was not surprised. They went through the motions - but didn't seem to care if they won (except Texas & OK St). They seemed ill prepared for the teams they were facing, they had no game plan that was evident to take advantage of their opponents weaknesses.

There is talent on the field with this current bunch. We could certainly use more - but lack of talent doesn't seem to be the problem (except maybe QB). It is the effort on display, the work ethic, the teams preparation for the team across the field. It is the game plan.

I am hoping to see all of these factors change this season. Certainly am hearing that the attitudes may be changing. But that doesn't change what I had to endure last year. I guess I just expect better.....

There was no difference in the effort between last year's season, and anything that happened when Nehlen was coaching. Did WVU give great effort in the KU game last year? Absolutely not?

But, go to the 1986 ass whipping of the game against the 'U', and it was no different. Miami had their starters out at the half, and the reserves commented on how WVU had quit.

Please stop with this nonsense....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a lack of talent... A lack of depth of talent... It is easy to criticize the effort of the players. I find it funny that any WVU fan would think our 2 and 3 star recruits could step in as freshmen and Rs freshmen, and compete against the kind of talent found in the Big 12.

Give me a freaking break!

You guys have to be smarter than that.

These are 18-19 year old kids adjusting to the college game...tested against elite talent. If you think this transition was going to be easy for them... you need a sense of reality.

Once the kids get burned, it is hard to keep their confidence level high. But, making mistakes and learning their craft under pressure is not a sign of poor effort.

It is a case of inexperienced kids being forced into action before they're ready for battle. They need more time in the weight room... more time in the film room ... More time on the practice field.

But, there was not that option...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I bet you in 86 and 87 no one was saying they could see what happened in 88 happening.

All you guys that think this team is going no where could be absolutely right, heck in my mind I think that sometimes since we have not proved on the field we have a QB1. The problem I have with most of this reasoning is trying to compare a young team to two of the better teams in our schools history and acting like that was Donny teams over the 20 years he was here. The other problem I have with it is you don't want to cut the staff a break for having to put a band aid on the depth issues. I have written before 7 new starters on offense last year, not only new to our offense but new to each other and the school. How many years did Donny have to deal with that? Self admittedly some of you have said Cignetti was a great recruiter so Donny did not come into any sort of a situation like DH. On the other thread I pointed out how many 4 year players have graduated from WVU the last two years...not many boys and the ones that left did not go on to do great things anywhere else...to act like this staff was not handcuffed by numbers like no other coach in our history is just ridiculous.

Think about it this way, where would this program be without this staff pulling all these jucos? But we are expecting to dominate one of the best confs in football? You can say this team does not hit and has no heart but I to disagree with that.. The last two years we took teams into OT that were a lot more talented than us...I think you going to see this team come together this year and all the work pay off that has been done by this staff.

https://vimeo.com/94435557 hitters baby!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me how anyone who watched the Oklahoma game last year could think we don't hit and show no effort?

Even in the Maryland loss 37-0 you realize the twerps have no scoring drive over 20 yards...the defense hit them and showed a lot of effort even though the were stuck in bad positions by the offense.

TCU we won in overtime, does not sound like a team that gave up.

Iowa St took them three overtones to beat us in the last game of the season with nothing to play for...does not sound like a team that just folded.

I think last years team showed a lot of effort, just had young talent and wore down. We will see if the depth helps us pull out some of these wins.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back in 1986, those guys were allowed to hit. When those guys went airborne, someone felt the pain. That was great to watch, but today many of those hits result in penalties and game ejection. With the emphasis on avoiding concussions, players are drilled into hitting between the thighs and shoulders. Much of the violence has been removed from the game. Some rules such as taunting and celebration also serve to take the enthusiasm away. Add in the business as usual attitude preached by many coaches and I see a loss of enthusiasm across college football.

I'm not here to make excuses, but what we see here is going on everywhere. The effort is there, but the enthusiasm is diminished. The game is changing.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in 1986, those guys were allowed to hit. When those guys went airborne, someone felt the pain. That was great to watch, but today many of those hits result in penalties and game ejection. With the emphasis on avoiding concussions, players are drilled into hitting between the thighs and shoulders. Much of the violence has been removed from the game. Some rules such as taunting and celebration also serve to take the enthusiasm away. Add in the business as usual attitude preached by many coaches and I see a loss of enthusiasm across college football.

I'm not here to make excuses, but what we see here is going on everywhere. The effort is there, but the enthusiasm is diminished. The game is changing.

:10: very good point

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FROM DARWIN COOK:

Cook was bothered by a groin injury throughout the season, but managed to play just about every snap of every game without the presence of a trusted backup until his body gave into the demands in the 11th game. Cook collided with the Kansas tight end and took the worst of it, but stayed in the game. Not long after that, he couldn’t make a tackle as the last line of defense on a long touchdown run.
“My body said, ‘Enough is enough,’ and a few players later I started to look terrible and couldn’t chase down the running back,” Cook said. “I let him walk right through. I knew I was hurting the team and I couldn’t play anymore. That was a hurtful feeling.”

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Cook gave up...

Or was out of shape...

Lack of effort...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a lack of talent... A lack of depth of talent... It is easy to criticize the effort of the players. I find it funny that any WVU fan would think our 2 and 3 star recruits could step in as freshmen and Rs freshmen, and compete against the kind of talent found in the Big 12.

Give me a freaking break!

You guys have to be smarter than that.

These are 18-19 year old kids adjusting to the college game...tested against elite talent. If you think this transition was going to be easy for them... you need a sense of reality.

Once the kids get burned, it is hard to keep their confidence level high. But, making mistakes and learning their craft under pressure is not a sign of poor effort.

It is a case of inexperienced kids being forced into action before they're ready for battle. They need more time in the weight room... more time in the film room ... More time on the practice field.

But, there was not that option...

HUH, seems that freshmen stepped in during the 2005 season and did a capable job, and in case you forgot, they were forced into action. The fucking Kansas and IAST games were at the end of the season with a bowl on the line, 11 games in you can hardly claim inexperience, especially against two of the worst teams in football. WVU's football team is NOT receiving effective coaching, PERIOD.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HUH, seems that freshmen stepped in during the 2005 season and did a capable job, and in case you forgot, they were forced into action. The fucking Kansas and IAST games were at the end of the season with a bowl on the line, 11 games in you can hardly claim inexperience, especially against two of the worst teams in football. WVU's football team is NOT receiving effective coaching, PERIOD.

DAD, as I have said many a time. You baffle me.

At times you come across as a pretty sharp dude. And, other times… you are either trolling… or…

At any rate… there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between freshmen playing in the offensive backfield…. and playing defense… especially in the secondary. You DO KNOW THIS… PLEASE TELL ME YOU KNOW THIS!!!

And, yes… no matter what game into the regular season you may be playing…. if the 11th game of the year is your first time starting… and you are a true freshman… then you are STILL INEXPERIENCED!!!

The KU game was an embarrassment. I personally did not watch the game as I was at a business meeting, but it was obvious that the UT loss lead to a 2nd loss as the kids' did not come ready to play.

The ISU game and outcome was not due to poor coaching. The team had over 500 yds of offense, all lead by a kid with a rotator cuff tear and torn labrum. Pretty damn good coaching and effort by any measure…

ISU lost 4 games last year by 7 points or less. FAR FROM ONE OF THE WORST TEAMS IN FOOTBALL.

Only someone wanting to troll hard would try to make this case….

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also count 48 Jrs and SRs on that 2005 team....no need to post how that compares to the last two seasons.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD, as I have said many a time. You baffle me.

At times you come across as a pretty sharp dude. And, other times… you are either trolling… or…

Only someone wanting to troll hard would try to make this case….

Often thought the same, or somebody who needs attention. Seemed to have started when posters started the "Stew must go" campaign.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should just cancel the game with 'Bama. People worried about injuries in '98 and possibly the first game of the 2014 season, but fail to realize the amount of injuries this team suffered in 2013. Have DH call Saban and decide the outcome over the phone so nobody will get hurt. Maybe play the game on Playstation or Xbox.
Mad, what I'm saying is that getting 4 or 5 players injured for the year against Bama could cause this team to go 1-11. Don't be a drama queen. No one said anything about cancelling the game, except you.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mad, what I'm saying is that getting 4 or 5 players injured for the year against Bama could cause this team to go 1-11. Don't be a drama queen. No one said anything about cancelling the game, except you.

What a revaluation. Getting players hurt during a game to the point that they are lost for the season may change your season. 'Bama is the only team we play against where getting players injured could change our season? I was giving you guys that had their thongs up their ass about playing 'Bama in the first game something they could go suggest to Luck & Dana a way out. Talking about drama! Ohh, we may get hurt. No shit.