• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BAMA Recruiting

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***The electric atmosphere in Tuscaloosa with the Tide***8217;s 38-14 win over Arkansas was a smashing success to the large contingent of prospects who made it into town ***8211; especially the younger recruits. Sources close to UA tell BOL that spots for the 2012 are few and far between and outside of possibly some late JUCO targets depending on the status of current prospects, don***8217;t expect to see many more emerging recruits in this class.
Liggins is one of the South's top sleepers

***Harris County defensive end Jordan Jenkins enjoyed another positive trip to the Capstone this weekend. Alabama and Florida have been in a dogfight for Jenkins for several months now with no other team expected to work into the mix. Jenkins will see both of his likely finalists next weekend when he travels to Gainesville to see the Tide take on the Gators. At this point, our sources believe UA has a slight edge and some key family members on the Tide***8217;s side.

***While Alabama is still very much involved, Henry County defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson didn***8217;t make an expected trip to Tuscaloosa this weekend because of transportation issues. Tomlinson instead made it to Georgia Tech who may be emerging as a big factor in Tomlinson***8217;s recruitment due to family issues with the powerful prospect. Despite some rumors to the contrary, Alabama still wants Tomlinson who could project as an interior DL or offensive guard at the next level.

***Alabama is still pursuing a number of defensive linemen, and three prospects from Mississippi that made the visit to Tuscaloosa ***8211; Quay Evans, Jeremy Liggins (who can play multiple positions) and Channing Ward ***8211; were reportedly very impressed with what they saw. Evans especially may be getting back in the mix for the Tide with the powerful interior lineman watching the situations very carefully among the in-state schools ***8211; especially Ole Miss. None of the three prospects are easy to chase down for an interview, but sources close to all three prospects are telling others to keep an eye out for the Tide.

***Speaking of quiet, Buford tight end Kurt Freitag rarely does interviews and the physical athlete was in town this weekend on his official visit. Sources are telling BOL that the visit couldn***8217;t have gone any better for the Tide, with the offensive performance, use of the tight ends and game day environment all being home runs. The same sources feel Alabama probably pulled ahead from Florida in the two-team race this weekend which had been too close to call, but UF will get another crack with their own official visit this weekend.

***Freitag***8217;s teammate, Vadal Alexander, a massive interior offensive lineman, also took his official visit this weekend to Tuscaloosa and the reports are very positive. This race is likely a little tighter with LSU being a huge factor with Alexander***8217;s family being from the Bayou state. Alexander will visit LSU and Auburn on official visits before making a decision. Sources close to Alexander feel Alabama and LSU are likely 50-50 for their chances in signing the four-star prospect.

***Not exactly insider news, but the Tide is in outstanding shape with North Little Rock running back Altee Tenpenny who has now made two visits to the Capstone with his family. Tenpenny was likely headed for a breakout season before a broken ankle likely ended it prematurely. With Alabama likely in the market for two elite backs next year, Tenpenny would be a tremendous pick up with the closest comparison in physical stature and running style being current Tide star Eddie Lacy ***8211; a blend of power and video game-like moves.

***Sources tell BOL that Alabama***8217;s leads for 2013 in-state stars Cameron Toney and Earnest Robinson grew even larger over the weekend. Toney is a good candidate for an early commitment to UA while Robinson could take a little more time before making a decision. Dadeville defensive lineman Rod Crayton is also an Alabama lead ***8211; however, the Tide wants to see more of Crayton on film and perhaps in person before extending a firm offer.

***Pulling prospects out of the grasp of Ole Miss from South Panola High School is a tall order, but the Tide has a very real shot of landing elite 2013 offensive lineman Deon Mix. Mix is more open minded than many of the recruits coming out of that area with less family/internal pressure to stay close to home. While it is a long way until Signing Day 2013, don***8217;t be surprised to see UA in very good shape to pull this one off late.

***Obviously Alabama***8217;s upcoming home showdown will be a huge game nationally. On the recruiting front, however, it is shaping up to be the biggest game in Nick Saban***8217;s tenure. Expect the visitor***8217;s list that weekend to be a who***8217;s who of elite college prospects. And since the demand will be great and space limited, almost every target who will be in town that weekend will be a high priority for UA.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Earnest Robinson, four-star wide receiver from Pinson Valley, Ala., is one of the top recruits in the country in the 2013 class. The elite playmaker took his first visit of the season to Tuscaloosa this past weekend. Andrew Bone talked with Robinson about the trip.

"The visit to Alabama was real good," said Earnest Robinson. "I met with the team and coaches. I talked to coach McElwain and coach Groh. I met with Nick Saban before and after the game.

"Coach Saban told me he loves me coming down there watching them play. He said he wanted me to suit up. He really wants me, and needs me to play. He likes my talent and my speed."

Robinson has his thoughts of Nick Saban.

"I really like him," he said. "He is real cool. He knows what I need and don***8217;t need to do to be successful. I love Alabama***8217;s offense. They don***8217;t really have a go-to receiver. Coach Saban said they need someone like Julio [Jones]. He said I will be one of the best receivers they have just like Julio.

***8220;Marquis Maze told me he wants me there. He said he thinks I am a good and talented player. I think he is a good receiver. I like how he plays and gets off the ball. He focuses in on the ball."

The National 100 junior talked more about the game.

"I really liked the game," said Robinson. "I liked the crowd. I loved the fans. They were really supporting the team. It was fun. I like how they spread the ball. I know if they had a go-to receiver they would get the ball to him a lot."

Nick Saban***8217;s enthusiasm towards Robinson was impressive for the underclassman.

"Talking to Nick Saban was the best part of my visit," he said."***8220;He was really excited about me. That was big. I was excited to see how much he wants me. It***8217;s really good they want me to play for them. It gives me something to think about."

Robinson will return to Tuscaloosa November 5th for what most consider the college football game of the year against LSU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deon Mix raves about visit

| More

Deon Mix, offensive tackle from Batesville-South Panola, Miss., projects as one of the top players in the Magnolia State in the class of 2013. Mix took an unofficial visit to Alabama this past weekend and couldn***8217;t stop talking about the trip.

"The visit to Alabama was great," said Deon Mix. "The people were great. The coaches and their wives were great. Overall it was great.

"I was there with a couple of guys like Channing Ward and Quay Evans. We chilled and talked about some stuff. Of course we have all talked about playing together. We joke about it a little."

Mix was impressed with the Tide***8217;s performance against the Razorbacks.

"I just love watching Alabama play football," he said. "The atmosphere at the game was crazy. The people were wild. They were almost more into the game than the players.

"That was my first game at Alabama this year. I plan on going back for the LSU game. I love the atmosphere there. I like how hard they play and work. I just love everything about Alabama. There is nothing I dislike. There is nothing close to me disliking at Alabama.***8221;

The highly-touted prospect talked with several coaches while on campus.

"I spoke to coach Groh and coach Stoutland," said Mix. "Coach Stoutland asked how I was using my hands. Coach Groh asking how the season is going. Their coaches are hard. I love them because they stay on you and want what is best for the team. They remind me of my coaches."

Mix did not want to release any favorites, but prefers to play in the SEC. He has scholarship offers from Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Miss and Nebraska. He is receiving heavy interest from Auburn and Tennessee.

Mix had nine pancake blocks in South Panola***8217;s 21-3 win against Horn Lake.

--------------------------

Rod Crayton talks SEC visit

| More

Rod Crayton, defensive tackle from Dadeville, Ala., is one of the top juniors in the state. He was in Tuscaloosa Saturday for the Tide's game against the Razorbacks.

"I thought the game was good," said Rod Crayton. "I liked how the front played. I liked No. 99 [Josh] Chapman. He is a good player. I thought the front was on point. The secondary slipped up a few times, but they would make up for it. I think they have a good defense. It's somewhere I think I can fit in.***8221;

Crayton was also impressed with the turnout at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

"The crowd was loud," he said. "I liked it a lot. I really liked the atmosphere. It was real good."

"We got there a little late. We didn***8217;t get to talk to everyone like we usually do. I did talk to Kirby [Smart] after the game. He told me they are very interested in me. He said they heard about my offer from LSU. He is going to watch film on me soon."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Recruiting Corner

Next Commitment?
TideSports.com has learned that 2013 St. Thomas Aquinas defensive lineman Joey Bosa is expected to commit to Alabama later this week. The commitment could come after the Raiders’ game against Miramar on Thursday night. I had a chance to watch Bosa in person in the first game of the season as St. Thomas Aquinas played against Prattville in Hoover. Bosa played defensive tackle most of the game but projects as a defensive end at the next level. He displayed great pursuit and even caught Prattville’s Justin Thomas from behind, causing the 2012 UA commitment to leave the game for a couple of series with an ankle injury. Bosa is expected to be a highly-ranked prospect in the 2013 class. He also has offers from Florida State and Boston College. Bosa would be the fourth Alabama commitment for the 2013 class, joining Bradley Bozeman, O.J. Howard and Reuben Foster.

Sina Reopens Recruitment

Alabama’s 2013 basketball recruiting class took a hit on Tuesday when point guard Jaren Sina opted to reopen his recruitment and take a look at other schools. The New Jersey native committed to the Crimson Tide in January. Sina told TideSports.com that he still likes everything about Alabama, but he felt that he didn’t even get a chance to see what other schools have to offer. Before his commitment, Sina had offers from Big East schools like Cincinnati, Rutgers, Seton Hall and St. John’s, and was also receiving interest from powerhouses like Duke and Syracuse. It sounds like Alabama will still be a major player in his recruitment and may still be where he winds up, but he pulled the trigger too early and now wants to look at other schools before making a final decision. TideSports.com will have a full report on Sina’s decision and what it means to the 2013 class.

Tide No. 1 for Jenkins?
It’s been known for a while that Alabama was high on Harris County 2012 defensive end Jordan Jenkins’ list. The Jenkins family loves the discipline that UA coach Nick Saban runs his program with. That makes sense given that Jenkins’ father is a military man. Unless something drastic occurs from now until Jenkins announces, expect Jenkins to join the ’12 class.

Mark Barron Part 2?
It’s awfully early to make lofty projections about a sophomore, but St. Paul’s 2014 strong safety/linebacker Tre Williams is already drawing such comparisons. St. Paul’s head coach Jimmy Perry told TideSports.com that Williams is up to 6-foot-2, 215 pounds and even compared him to St. Paul’s alum Mark Barron. “We play him at strong safety, but he can also play inside linebacker. He’s got a lot of upside because of his height. We use him in a lot of way. We can roll him down, or he can play centerfielder.” Williams already has an offer from Florida State and Auburn and Alabama is showing a lot of interest.

Scarbrough Sensation
Get accustomed to hearing the name of Bo Scarbrough because you’re going to be hearing it for a long time. The sophomore continues to impress week after week, dominating Class 6A football. Last Friday night, he rushed for 92 yards and three touchdowns on 10 rushing attempts in unbeaten Northridge’s 42-28 win over Gardendale. TideSports.com has brought you wall-to-wall coverage on Scarbrough, including last week’s news that he landed the offer he wanted.

The Last Six Spots
There are a lot of high-profile recruits still on Alabama’s radar and the Crimson Tide coaching staff has a plan for the 2012 class regardless of how many athletes want to sign. However, for the purposes of this report, let’s assume they’ll only sign six more. Here are six athletes UA would take with no questions asked: Jordan Jenkins, Landon Collins, Brandon Hill, Travell Dixon, Dorial Green-Beckham and Denzel Devall.

UA Still in it for Yeldon?
Nobody in the state of Alabama is having a better year on the football field than Daphne running back T.J. Yeldon. Yeldon, an Auburn commitment, made headlines recently when he visited Tuscaloosa for the Arkansas game. The Rivals100 recruit made the trip with teammate Ryan Anderson, who is committed to the Crimson Tide. Anderson has been doing his part to try and sway his friend to switch to Alabama, but he’s not the only one. Contrary to some reports, the UA coaching staff made Yeldon a top priority throughout the recruiting process and sources believe it felt good about its chances to sign him. The commitment to Auburn caught the staff slightly off guard, but they are still recruiting him as hard as ever, hoping to get him to follow Anderson to Alabama. The recent visit may show that his recruitment is not over yet.

Williams Moves to the Forefront
The Alabama basketball staff has made wing forward JaCorey Williams a priority since offering him a scholarship last month. Head coach Anthony Grant met with him after the offer, and the 2012 prospect visited Tuscaloosa for the Arkansas game. The full court press being put on Williams may be a direct result of where the Crimson Tide staff feels there at with five-star forward Devonta Pollard. Sources close to the situation believe that Pollard may end up signing with an elite program regardless of distance. Duke, Georgetown and Kentucky have already offered the Mississippi native, and Texas has become his latest suitor, telling him he could be the next Kevin Durant. Alabama has always liked Williams and how he fits into their system, but the staff may have wanted to test the waters with Pollard first.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Inside linebacker Cameron Toney of Huntsville (Ala.) has been a Nick Saban fan for just about as long as he can remember.

"I always liked the way he coached," Toney said. "I liked him back at LSU. I was rooting for him at LSU."

Recently, Saban's current team - Alabama - became the first program to offer the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Class-of-2013 standout.

"They offered the first part of September," Toney said. "It was a Thursday. It was a great day for me. We played our rival team and ended up beating them. When I came home, I found out I had [the offer]. I camped there this summer in June. I worked with [Tide assistant] Kirby Smart. Nick Saban is my favorite head coach and Kirby Smart is my favorite defensive coordinator. Coach Saban said I did pretty good. They said, 'Make sure you keep your size up, keep doing what you're doing in school and keep improving, and you should get an offer soon."

For now, that is Toney's only offer. It likely won't be his last.

"I'm hearing from a lot of schools that send me information, but the schools that are really recruiting me are Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, LSU, Tennessee, Clemson and Southern California," Toney said. "Mississippi State was at my game against Beniquez Brown (of Florence, Ala.). I did pretty good. I ended up with 13 tackles, two hurries and a sack."

Who might be next to offer?

"LSU or Tennessee, I'd say," Toney said. "They're inviting me to games and sending me letters every day. They want me to come up and explore the campus."

Thus far, Toney has attended games this fall at Alabama and Auburn. He plans to be at Auburn again Saturday for its matchup against Florida.

"Right now, Alabama is my top team," Toney said. "But I don't want to push things too fast. I really want to keep my options open."

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***The recruitment by Alabama of Auburn commitment and Daphne star running back T.J. Yeldon is reportedly heating up. Sources close to Yeldon tell BOL that the Crimson Tide coaching staff has marked Yeldon as one of the top priorities down the stretch for UA, and by all accounts Yeldon is listening with interest. Yeldon plans to return to Alabama for the Tide's home contest against LSU with teammate and Tide commit Ryan Anderson in tow. If Yeldon flips, it will likely be quietly and later in the recruiting process. Yeldon would be a terrific physical compliment to current Tide running back commit Kenyan Drake.

Tide targeting Yeldon

***Speaking of Drake, sources tell BOL that the success of the star athlete out of Hillgrove High School (Powder Springs, Ga,) and his emergence as an elite running back has relaxed the Tide staff in terms of any panic over the depth situation at running back. Drake has eclipsed the 200-yard rushing mark four times this fall, and he has proven not only to have an elite burst, but to run with a physical presence. Almost as valuable as his on the field exploits - Drake is one of the top informal recruiters in a Tide recruiting class that is full of good ones.

***In other committed-elsewhere news, Alabama continues to keep an eye on FSU pledge and Hueytown five-star Jameis Winston. Winston is also expected to be in Tuscaloosa for the Alabama-LSU game, and while it would be easy to say the trip is likely no more than a convenient way to see a great football game, sources tell BOL that the window is at least cracked in terms of Winston listening to what UA has to say. The usual caveat applies however - professional baseball is still a big threat to anyone who wants to see Winston suit up for their football program.

***After a highly successful official visit over the weekend, Baltimore-Gilman four-star athlete Cyrus Jones left Tuscaloosa declaring Alabama his leader. According to sources close to Jones, those quotes weren't just lip service either. Jones has a huge interest in the SEC, and has expressed to some people that he would like to get out of the northeast region for college and head south. If that is the case, Alabama is the clear front-runner for his services. Jones can play on either side of the ball, but the best guess here is that he eventually finds a home at cornerback and kick returner.

***The recent news that Dorial Green-Beckham is essentially down to a top five of Arkansas, Auburn, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas shouldn’t come as a surprise as we have maintained that UA was on the outside looking in for the five-star receiver in recent months.

That said, UA is more than pleased with the receivers they have committed in Chris Black, Amari Cooper, and Casey Gladney, which form one of the better three-man wide receiver classes in the country. Also, don’t forget five-star athlete Eddie Williams could end up at wide receiver. Gladney in particular is having an outstanding senior campaign and has recorded 49 catches for 1,019 yards and 15 touchdowns. More importantly, Gladney received good news on his most recent report card. It still remains to be seen if he will ultimately qualify, but his improvement is certainly encouraging.

***Expect the upcoming contest with LSU to be a “who’s who” of national recruits not only in the 2012 cyle, but also 2013\. The game will attract several elite out of state underclassmen, with Fort Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas DL Joey Bosa, Belle Glade (FL) Glades Day RB Kelvin Taylor, Goose Creek (SC) ATH Tramel Terry, Wheaton (IL) St. Francis OL Kyle Bosch, and Batesville (MS) South Panola safety Antonio Conner being among the prospects that will be seeing their first UA home game. All have early four-star rankings from 247Sports.com.

***One official visitor for the LSU game that could be on commitment watch is Eastern Arizona College CB Travell Dixon. We feel that UA has a significant lead with the JUCO prospect which at the very least would only strengthen once he officially visits the Capstone. A source very familiar JUCO football on the west coast recently indicated that Dixon is an "Alabama type guy" in the same vein as current Tide starter Jesse Williams, who has had a very productive first year in program.

***The upcoming bye week will allow the staff an opportunity to get out and see some top targets across the nation on Friday night as the lack of a game on Saturday allows for a more flexible travel schedule. One target that could receive a visit is Geismar (LA) Dutchtown safety Landon Collins. Collins is currently ranked as the sixth best prospect in the nation by 247Sports and should move up in the next set of rankings, as there are few prospects in the nation with a more complete skill set.

***Oklahoma City (OK) Heritage Hall RB Barry J. Sanders officially visited UA over the weekend with his mother and the visit went well, as you would expect. Information on Sanders varies perhaps more so than any other prospect UA is currently targeting. The four-star back has done a very good job of keeping both coaching staffs and recruiting analysts guessing. Most, if not all, of his top four of UA, FSU, Oklahoma State, and Stanford feel cautiously optimistic about their chances of landing him. Some sources feel that UA, FSU, and Stanford all have good shots of landing Sanders while several other sources feel Oklahoma State will be in it until the end. The Cowboys are the x-factor here with Sanders’ family history at the school, their highly successful season to this point, and thus increasing pressure to stay at home all looming large. Some sources feel that he may want to escape comparisons to his namesake Hall of Fame father, but that may be difficult regardless of the location.

***One of the top remaining targets for UA is LB Denzel Devall. Devall took an official visit to Texas A&M earlier in the season and has yet to schedule any other officials, including one to UA. Devall could attend the UA-LSU game on November 5, but hasn’t firmed up his plans to this point. It still remains a UA-Texas A&M battle for the Pelican State prospect and despite being on the outside LSU is currently lurking more than they have in recent months. When Devall does make a visit to UA, it will be important for the coaches to emphasize the “fun” side of the program as some are pointing out UA’s “strictly business” reputation. This isn’t the first time UA has had to fight this notion, and certainly won’t be the last. Establishing a relationship with current commitments would be big with Devall, and Geno Smith has indicated plans to speak with the LB.

***If you are looking for a 2013 prospect who could possibly pop early in UA's favor, look to Huntsville High School and linebacker Cameron Toney. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder has Alabama out in front in commanding fashion, and it appears Toney is only waiting to pick up a few more offers before making a pledge to the Tide official. Toney has had a very good junior year and is expected to bulk up and get much stronger before taking his game to the next level. Toney is physically built a little like current Tide star C.J. Mosley at the same stage.

***One 2014 prospect to watch is Hoover cornerback Marlon Humphrey, the son of former Tide great Bobby Humphrey and brother of current Arkanas Razorback receiver Maudrecus Humphrey. The younger Humphrey, 6-foot, 170 pounds, is being compared favorably to a young Dre Kirkpatrick, a former five-star prospect with a similar long frame and tremendous ball skills. Although UA passed on Maudrecus, sources tell BOL that should not figure into Marlon's decision should UA offer as expected.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alabama has secured its quarterback in this year's recruiting class, but it's searching for an elite signal caller for the 2013 class, and one of the Crimson Tide's top targets was on campus this past weekend.

Ellenwood, Ga., quarterback Johnathan McCrary drove to Tuscaloosa on Saturday with his father and uncle for the Tennessee game. It was the first Alabama game he has attended this year.

"It was pretty good," McCrary said. "I've never seen a more comfortable environment than Alabama at any other schools I've been to. All of the coaches treat me with respect, the players and the fans, too. Everything was great."

Before the game, McCrary got a chance to talk with Alabama head coach Nick Saban and the rest of the UA coaching staff as well as Crimson Tide quarterbacks AJ McCarron and Phillip Sims.

"I got to talk to Coach Saban," McCrary said. "He said that he enjoyed me coming, and he hopes that I come back over the summer for the camp. I also spent some time with Coach (Chris) Rumph and Coach (Jim) McElwain. I got to hang out with most of the players. I got to hang out with Phillip Sims and AJ McCarron. That was pretty cool."

Even though the Crimson Tide started slow in the first half against the Vols, the atmosphere picked up as the game went on, and McCrary was impressed with how McCarron performed in Alabama's 37-6 win.

"The crowd was great," McCrary said. "It was a great environment. It felt like I was playing because I was enjoying it more than I thought I would.

"After the first drive when AJ McCarron threw that pick, I was trying to see if he could bounce back from it, which he did and led his team to a victory."

The Peach State star has already visited in-state schools Georgia and Georgia Tech, but after spending the weekend in Tuscaloosa, McCrary has Alabama at the top of his list. McCrary plans to come back to Alabama for the LSU game.

"The school that's standing out to me the most right now is Alabama," he said. "They know to sacrifice their time. They know how to sacrifice time for me, and I can sacrifice time for them. That says a lot about their character and how they want players coming to school."

Although McCrary has Alabama as his leader, he's in no rush to make a decision. The junior quarterback wants to wait until this time next year before giving a verbal commitment.

Through eight games at Cedar Grove High School, McCrary is completing 75 percent of his passes and has thrown for more than 2,000 yards and 19 touchdowns. He's also rushed for seven touchdowns.

His teammate at Cedar Grove, offensive tackle Brandon Greene, has already committed to Alabama for the 2012 class and hasn't been shy about trying to get his quarterback to follow him to UA. The two hung out in Tuscaloosa over the weekend.

"(Brandon) just says he would appreciate if I came to Alabama," McCrary said. "He's not forcing me to come to Alabama. He just tells me to make a decision based on what I think is will be best for me."

McCrary is already planning on coming back to Alabama in a couple weeks when the Crimson Tide hosts LSU in what's being called the game of the year.

"I'm very excited about that game, actually," McCrary said. "I'm not sure about what's going to happen in that game. I just want to go, enjoy it and see what happens."

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Chris Nee, American Heritage Junior running back Greg Bryant reported that he was offered by Bama today.

Greg Bryant

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 Tight end Kurt Freitag has supposedly told UF and Bama staffs who he is committed to, and we should find out sometime Monday.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Several Alabama commitments and targets are making waves at the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star practices in Montgomery this week. Sources tell BOL that Ryan Anderson has established himself as the top performer at the event and has been so dominant that offensive linemen are going out of their way to avoid him in drills. Anderson is on a mission to establish himself as one of the premier defenders in the country. You would get no argument from the offensive players on the Alabama squad.

***The scuttlebutt among the Alabama players in Montgomery is that five-star quarterback Jameis Winston will likely not end up at Florida State and that the popular opinion is that he ends up at Alabama. This isn't surprising as sources have told BOL for several weeks that the Tide was gaining momentum but there now appears to be additional evidence of a possible flip later in the process.

***Daphne four-star running back T.J. Yeldon is a tougher read among those in Montgomery as the powerful back rarely talks recruiting to anyone, but Alabama obviously still has a lot of work to do to flip him. Yeldon has told reporters that he is solid to Auburn, and while that may wind up ultimately being the case, there are those close to Yeldon who think the door is still open for Alabama. Yeldon is planning to enroll early to the college of his choice so this one will play out pretty quickly.

***Tide coach Nick Saban had two key visits this week to top uncommitted prospects, and from all accounts, both visits went very well. Dutchdown (La.) five-star safety Landon Collins still has the Crimson Tide very high and possibly a little ahead of LSU at this juncture. Collins reportedly likes the idea of challenging for immediate playing time next fall in replacing outgoing senior safety Mark Barron.

***Saban also visited the nation's capitol this week to visit five-star defensive tackle Eddie Goldman. Sources tell BOL that Alabama's status with Goldman improves a little with each passing week, and the Tide is very much a viable threat here. Ohio State is also trying to work themselves in the picture late, but Urban Meyer is likely getting involved too little, too late for Goldman who will likely pick between Alabama and Florida State.

***2011 prospect Jeremy Hill appears to still be waiting on some legal issues to be resolved before enrolling in school and continuing his football career. Although it is possible those loose ends will be tied up soon, most people close to the situation don't believe it will be resolved before the end of the year. Most expect Hill to end up at LSU, but Alabama is still involved as well.

***One thing to keep in mind when breaking down Alabama's 21 commitments and projecting needs is that several prospects could play different spots than their high school positions once they enroll at Alabama. Five star athlete Eddie Williams appears to be getting a look on offense first at wide receiver. Bob Jones linebacker Reggie Ragland could easily play tight end if the need arises. Prattville's Caleb Gulledge can play either side of the line, but likely projects at offensive guard in college.

***Alabama's latest commit, Bastrop (La.) linebacker Denzel Devall had notified Alabama several weeks ago that he was going to select the Tide but wasn't sure how he would tell the coaching staff at Texas A & M whom he had built a close relationship with throughout the recruiting process. When the Aggies fired Mike Sherman and his staff, it made the decision to go public with his commitment pretty easy. LSU had attempted to get involved again with Devall late as the four-star had shown very little interest in the Tigers in previous months. Nothing has changed in that regard.

***The Crimson Tide is tight on numbers at this point, which is to be expected when you play in the national championship game two out of three seasons. Expect some prospects to be left out in the end due to numbers - and some of those prospects would be easy takes in most any other year. An example is New Jersey linebacker Quanzell Lambert who was possibly leaning to Alabama before the Tide coaching staff informed him they were full at linebacker.

***If there is one position Alabama would be willing to load up on down the stretch, it would be defensive linemen. Sources close to UA believe the Tide would still make room for Lynchburg (Va.) defensive lineman Korren Kirven who will officially visit Tuscaloosa in January. Henry County defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson is still a possibility and will visit Tuscaloosa this weekend on his official visit. Much of this is contingent on other targets such as Goldman and JUCO nose tackle Daniel McCullers.

***Alabama would love to sneak four-star athlete Cyrus Jones into their 2012 recruiting class, and while the Tide is still in outstanding shape there, new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is continuing a familiar refrain use used at Florida by targeting Jones as a possible "Percy Harvin-type" in the Buckeyes offense. Jones wants to play offense at the next level, and while Alabama has promised him a shot there, the lure of playing offense under Meyer is something to watch.

More on Jones … Jones is set to host Nick Saban for an in-home visit next week and the Tide remain in good position for the early enrollee, who should come to a decision at some point over his holiday break. Ohio State may be emerging as the top competition here with the recent news of Jones setting a official visit to Columbus for next weekend.

***Tide defensive line commit Dakota Ball will be taking his official visit to Tuscaloosa this weekend. Ball is another prospect who can play either side of the ball on the line.

*** Four official visitors are expected to be in Tuscaloosa this weekend, with one being Georgia Military College defensive tackle Daniel McCullers. McCullers, who remains one of the Tide's top targets, has already hosted Nick Saban and Kirby Smart at his home in Raleigh, North Carolina. The visit went well and gave the coaches an opportunity to spend extensive time with McCullers' family for the first time in his recruitment. Like many JUCO prospects who have games on Satrudays, McCullers hasn't been able to take many visits throughout the season so the visit this weekend will go a long way where Alabama is concerned. Alabama and Tennessee are the finalists for the massive JUCO prospect with the Tide in strong position at this time. Despite being a spring graduate, McCullers could be set for an early impact should he chose the Tide, who could use an effective space eater on the interior defensive line with the impending graduation of Josh Chapman.

The other uncommitted visitor expected in this weekend is McDonough (GA) Henry County defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson. The Tide and nearby Georgia Tech have long been the top two for the four-star prospect. Tomlinson took an official visit to Georgia Tech last week and has an official set up with Florida for next weekend. As for now, the high motor Tomlinson plans to decide sometime over his holiday break or later in January if he is still undecided.

McCullers and Tomlinson will be joined in Tuscaloosa by Tide commits Darius Philon and Dakota Ball. Philon isn't participating in this week's Alabama-Mississippi All-star Classic after playing the last month of his senior season with a torn meniscus. Ball will play in the Under Armour All-American game in January alongside fellow commits Chris Black, Amari Cooper, Brandon Greene, Reggie Ragland, and Eddie Williams as well as the majority of the Tide's remaining top targets.

***We've already discussed Alabama commitment Kenyan Drake being named Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Georgia on BOL, but two other Tide targets, Cyrus Jones and Jameis Winston, also won the award in their respective states. Jones had an outstanding senior season at Gilman School in Baltimore, making significant contributions on offense, defense, and special teams. Jones rushed for 948 yards and 13 touchdowns on 109 carries, caught 39 passes for 635 yards and six touchdowns, recorded 5 interceptions, and scored four touchdowns on special teams. Winston was no slouch either, completing 163-of-234 passes for 2,424 yards and 28 touchdowns and just two interceptions, while also running for 1,063 yards and 15 touchdowns on 144 carries.

***The recent commitment of Bastrop (LA) linebacker Denzel Devall was big for the Tide on several fronts. For one, he was coveted by in-state power LSU, a program that rarely misses out on in-state targets. Despite their efforts, the Tigers were never really a big player for Devall, who grew up a fan of Nick Saban dating back to his days in Baton Rouge. Aside from the more talked about benefits of adding the talented linebacker to the fold, Devall is also a high character kid who comes from a strong family that emphasizes academics. One example of this occurred back in October when Devall retook the ACT despite already having a score that would easily qualify him with his current GPA. Devall's family simply felt he could better, and he did, significantly improving his score.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Georgia's state championships begin today, with one of the bigger games, Buford vs. Calhoun, featuring three Tide commits. LB Dillon Lee, TE (also plays DE for Buford) Kurt Freitag star for Buford while Calhoun features kicker commit Adam Griffith. Both teams have been on a crash course to meet in the Georgia Dome with both having undefeated seasons to this point. This won't be the first time they meet for the state championship either- Buford has defeated Calhoun in the last three championship games. The Wolves are going for an unprecedented fifth straight state championship.

***Saturday's class AAAAA matchup pits Grayson against Walton in a game that features two juniors who are probably having the best seasons of any player in the state of Georgia with Robert Nkemdiche and Tyren Jones. Nkemdiche, who was awarded a franchise grade of 103 and is ranked as the nation's top 2013 prospect by 247Sports, has been dominant over the final stretch of the season, recording 17 sacks and starring for a defense that only gives up 36 rushing yards per game. What has people talking though, is Nkemdiche's emergence as a threat on offense- the 6-foot-5, 275-pounder has developed into a serious threat at running back, rushing for 444 yards and 16 touchdowns on 89 carries. He's yet to focus on recruiting much to this point and only took a few visits during the season, with one being to Tuscaloosa for the LSU game. That said, Alabama remains in good position with LSU being another program of interest.

*** Tide RB commit Justin Taylor has been busy with rehab after tearing his ACL at practice during second week of his season. The Atlanta running back has made good progress and will start running next week. Taylor will take his official visit on January 13 with the majority of Alabama's commitments who have yet to take their official to the Capstone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thx Jtegger. I am also hearing that Winston is still recruiting Yeldon, but i am hearing that it is to FSU not Bama. I guess time will tell how much these analysts know.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***A source very close to Daphne four-star running back T.J. Yeldon told BOL Tuesday that if something does change in the recruitment of the Auburn pledge, it would likely not happen until late in the process. Yeldon is still an Auburn pledge at this point.

***Nick Saban was busy on the recruiting trail today, visiting the schools of 2013 stars Jordan Cunningham (a Ft. Lauderdale WR with numerous offers), defensive lineman Joey Bosa and safety Jamal Carter. Saban had also scheduled a trip to visit with the family of JUCO defensive back target Travell Dixon. While all signs appear to point to Alabama with Dixon, there are some grade issues he would have to wrap up to enroll in January.

***Saban was also expected to in-home with standout defensive back Deon Bush Tuesday night. Despite Bush being a relatively forgotten man among Tide targets, UA still covets the four-star athlete and is very much in the picture for his signature.

***According to several sources, Miami is recruited Tide commit Amari Cooper with the pitch that Alabama will likely turn him into a defensive back.

***Although five-star defensive tackle Eddie Goldman took an official visit to Miami, many sources out of south Florida following the visit are stating that from all accounts, Goldman appears to be favoring Alabama at the moment.

***The decommitment of Prattville athlete Justin Thomas had been brewing for awhile with the speedy athlete insistent on playing quarterback, and with Alabama in a numbers crunch, both sides came out on the positive end with the decision. Thomas is a great pick-up for Georgia Tech. Alabama can now pursue another true cornerback or defensive lineman.

***There is still no closure with former FSU commit Alphonse Taylor . Taylor wants to enroll in Alabama for the spring semester. Nothing has been finalized on Alabama's end at this point although some closure to the situation will likely come at the end of the week. Taylor wants to play defensive tackle at the next level, and Alabama has some number crunching to finish before a final outcome occurs.

***A big visit for Saban comes Wednesday night when he pops in on Baltimore-Gilman athlete Cyrus Jones who is heavily considering Alabama along with Auburn. Jones has no firm time table for a decision.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Recruiting Corner

Yeldon to Alabama?

If you've been a faithful reader of The Recruiting Corner you already know how much of a priority Daphne running back T.J. Yeldon has become for the University of Alabama coaching staff. It appears those efforts are paying dividends with the Crimson Tide making up huge ground on the 2012 five-star Auburn commitment in the last two weeks. In fact, multiple sources told TideSports.com on Wednesday night that Alabama not only pulled even with Auburn in recent days, but may have actually taken the lead. With Yeldon expected to be a mid-term enrollee, expect this Alabama-Auburn battle to be interesting in the closing weeks. At this time, TideSports.com is projecting Yeldon to sign with Alabama. If that happens, the ramifications cannot be understated. First, Alabama desperately needed another running back in this class. While it's true that UA running back commit Kenyan Drake had a tremendous season, being named the Georgia Gatorade Player of the Year, the Crimson Tide really needed a prototypical Alabama running back, and Yeldon fits that mold perfectly. How this affects Justin Taylor, who tore his ACL and missed most of the season, remains to be seen. Yeldon, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound athletic back, rushed for 2,196 yards and 31 touchdowns in Class 6A this season, with a running style that reminds most analysts of former Arkansas and current Oakland Raider Darren McFadden. His signature move may be his hurdling of defenders which he seems to do at least once a game. He is also a skilled pass catcher with 19 receptions for 244 yards and one score. The second reason a Yeldon flip would be significant is perception. With Alabama preparing for an appearance in its second BCS National Championship Game in three seasons, sending a Heisman finalist to New York for the second time in three years and flipping one of the top running backs in the country, it could be a perfect recipe for the Crimson Tide as it heads down the stretch for the 2012 class as well as making a huge impression for the start of the 2013 class. TideSports.com has been all over this developing story from the beginning and will continue to do so until Yeldon enrolls.

Man in the Middle

TideSports.com brought you the news on Tuesday morning that Davidson jumbo lineman Alphonse Taylor had de-committed from Florida State. Other reports had him committing to Alabama, which were premature and simply untrue at the time. However, we have learned that Alabama is now likely to accept a Taylor commitment, which could come as soon as this weekend. Taylor is a 6-foot-6, 340-pound offensive/defensive tackle, whom Alabama likes on the defensive side of the ball. If Taylor does commit to Alabama, expect Georgia Military College lineman Daniel McCullers to go elsewhere. The Davidson coaching staff released the following statement to the Mobile Press Register on Tuesday. "After much deliberation and conversation, Alphonse Taylor has decided against attending Florida State University. We have spent the greater part of the past two days discussing this decision and its ramifications. I have met with the family and they are in full support of their son and Florida State was notified of his decision this morning. As you are aware we frown upon this type of thing at Davidson and this has been discussed at great length with Alphonse. We are asking that he be allowed a couple of days to work through this and he will not be available or making any public statements concerning this or his future until sometime Friday." Taylor is expected to graduate early, which means he could be an early enrollee at Alabama.

Dixon Update

After much speculation that Eastern Arizona Junior College defensive back Travell Dixon was entertaining the idea of playing for Florida State, it appears he seems ready to set the record straight and his decision might come sooner than later. TideSports.com expects Dixon to announce for Alabama within the next week. Dixon's commitment would be huge for the 2012 class with all the attrition expected in the Crimson Tide's secondary.

Nation's Top Defensive Lineman

News out of Eddie Goldman's camp has been slow as of late, but that doesn't mean that there has been no movement. The competition for Goldman has long been thought to be between Florida State and Alabama with most believing Florida State held a slight edge. Multiple sources told TideSports.com that Alabama has seemingly made up ground over the last month to the point that some feel Alabama currently has an advantage over the Seminoles. UA head coach Nick Saban met with Goldman on Wednesday, and the visit reportedly went "very well."

Another No. 1 Class?

IF Alabama is able to close with the recruits that TideSports.com currently has Alabama leading for: Jameis Winston, T.J. Yeldon, Eddie Goldman, Jordan Jenkins, Cyrus Jones, Travell Dixon and Alphonse Taylor, expect a collective "Wow" from recruiting analysts all over the country, as well as a No. 1 class rating. And that's not to mention the possibility of five-star safety Landon Collins joining the fold. Expect this to be an exciting National Signing Day with a lot of numbers crunching taking place. However, it's always important to remember how fluid these recruitments are with an athlete able to change his mind at a moment's notice, i.e. Cyrus Kouandjio.

From tidesports.com

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Certainly one of the more talked about recruiting storylines of the past week is the situation with Daphne running back T.J. Yeldon. UA has continued to make a push for the longtime Auburn commit, with efforts amplifying over the last two weeks - which saw Yeldon take an official visit to the Capstone and participate in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic with several current Alabama commits. Former Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn’s exit of the Plains to become the head coach at Arkansas State is another significant development due to the fact that Yeldon often cited Malzahn’s offense as the overriding factor for choosing the Tigers. At this point, it’s safe to say the Tide are trending strongly with the nation’s top all-purpose back and it is very possible he opts to enroll at Alabama in January. We feel it’s unlikely he makes a change until right before he’s set to enroll, but anything is possible right not.

The talk of a Yeldon decommitment is the story of December

***One of the other major storylines from the week is the decommitment of Davidson lineman Alphonse Taylor from Florida State. The 6-foot-5, 330-pounder unexpectedly reneged on his longstanding commitment to the Seminoles and is taking a visit to the Capstone today in hopes of committing to the Tide. Despite rumors to the contrary, we do not believe that Taylor, who is also an early enrollee, is taking the visit in order to schedule classes. Sources indicate Alabama is leaning towards taking Taylor and there should be some resolution in the near future, maybe as soon as Friday. However, the situation is unpredictable due to the constantly changing scholarship numbers situation.

***As we reported last night, Nick Saban and Sal Sunseri visited with Baltimore (MD) Gilman School athlete/wide receiver yesterday. The coaches watched Jones’ basketball game and then went over to his house to meet with the family. Former Ohio State head coach and current assistant Luke Fickell was also at the game. The big news out of Wednesday night is that Jones is now down to UA and Virginia Tech, effectively eliminating Ohio State and Auburn from contention. Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer made his visit to Gilman School on Monday. Needless to say, the Tide are in great position to land the dynamic athlete, who was recently named Maryland’s Gatorade Player of the Year. Jones plans to announce his decision at the Under Armour All-American game on January 5.

***Saban and Sunseri were also in Washington D.C. earlier on Wednesday to visit with five-star defensive tackle Eddie Goldman and family. Sources indicate the visit, which lasted approximately three hours, went extremely well and only helped UA’s chances of landing the nation’s fifth best prospect. Goldman and his camp are very thorough in their analysis and Saban’s organization and emphasis on structure is not lost on them. The Tide are currently in Goldman’s top two alongside Florida State and are in good position for the stretch run as Goldman plans to decide around signing day.

***Another big in-home is scheduled to take place tonight with Saban with the nation's number three prospect, safety Landon Collins. The visit could go a long way towards solidifying the Tide's status with the Collins, as UA finds themselves in a battle with in-state LSU for the the elite defender's services. Sources feel cautiously optimistic about the Tide's chances of landing Collins, who will announce his decision at the Under Armour All-American game.

***The Tide aren’t out of the woods quite yet with wide receiver commit Amari Cooper. The Miami Northwestern product took an official visit to Miami last weekend and members of his camp expressed the possibility of taking other officials to LSU and Southern Cal. Alabama is visiting Cooper on Friday and hopes to shore up things with the December graduate.

***Sources indicate that Ellenwood (GA) Cedar Grove offensive tackle commit Brandon Greene remains a solid commitment to the Tide but in-state UGA continues to make a push. The Bulldogs never backed off Greene and hosted the 6-foot-5, 297-pounder on an official visit last weekend, pitching playing time and proximity to home. The pitch for playing time shouldn’t make too much of an impression now given that UGA received a commitment from a fourth offensive tackle on Wednesday.

***Hamilton (GA) Harris County OLB Jordan Jenkins is another prospect who is staying busy with coaching visits. UA defensive coordinator and area recruiter Kirby Smart watched Jenkins’ basketball game on Tuesday night, UGA head coach Mark Richt visited Jenkins on Wednesday night, and Auburn head coach Gene Chizik will be in Thursday night. UGA is making a push for Jenkins, but the Tide remain in good shape to land the edge rusher (as they have for the past several months), who like Jones, plans to announce his commitment at the Under Armour All-American game.

***One prospect who is still on the board, but doesn’t receive a ton of talk (much by his own doing) is Lynchburg (VA) Brookville defensive lineman Korren Kirven. Kirven visited UA during the season and will supposedly host Tide coaches later tonight. The 6-foot-4, 280-pounder who recently suffered a broken ankle in the playoffs is essentially down to UA and in-state Virginia Tech. It is worth noting that Hokie quarterback Logan Thomas and defensive end Zach McCray are both Brookville alums.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Sources indicate that Ellenwood (GA) Cedar Grove offensive tackle commit Brandon Greene remains a solid commitment to the Tide but in-state UGA continues to make a push. The Bulldogs never backed off Greene and hosted the 6-foot-5, 297-pounder on an official visit last weekend, pitching playing time and proximity to home. The pitch for playing time shouldn’t make too much of an impression now given that UGA received a commitment from a fourth offensive tackle on Wednesday.

I don't think the commitment of a 3 star JC tranfer OL will affect many recruits decision. Maybe John Theus or Chester Brown will scare him off but probably not Mark Beard... and if any of them do, well, we don't need anyone who is afraid of competition.

UGA plans on signing 6 OL this year.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the commitment of a 3 star JC tranfer OL will affect many recruits decision. Maybe John Theus or Chester Brown will scare him off but probably not Mark Beard... and if any of them do, well, we don't need anyone who is afraid of competition.

UGA plans on signing 6 OL this year.

Green took his visit to UGA just to have some fun, nothing changed with him. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but I don't think it has anything to do with competition.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:)
Juco DB ready to enroll at Bama
Greg Ostendorf | TideSports | December 15, 2011

Deion Belue committed to the University of Alabama over two years ago, but his plans to enroll and suit up for the Crimson Tide were derailed, as grade issues forced him to land at Northeast Mississippi Community College his freshman year.

After two years at the Mississippi junior college, Belue finished his last final exam Wednesday night, and he's once again ready to enroll at Alabama. The former Tide commitment is now waiting on word from the UA coaching staff before he prepares to move to Tuscaloosa and begin school in January.

"I'm still planning on enrolling in January, but I'm just waiting on the phone call from Alabama," Belue said. "They are just waiting on my transcript and everything to get it all processed."

Belue plans to play CB when he gets to Alabama.

The Crimson Tide staff has stayed in contact with Belue, talking almost every week. UA assistant coach Mike Groh called the Alabama native Monday to give words of encouragement and tell him 'to finish strong.'

The defensive back now wants to get to Tuscaloosa where he can begin to learn and improve under Alabama coach Nick Saban.

"I committed to them out of high school, and I've just been ready to work with Coach Saban to see how much better I can get," Belue said.

In high school, Belue played all over the field for Deshler, but Alabama wanted him primarily at cornerback. That sentiment hasn't changed. UA likes his size and could lose up to three players at the position, giving Belue the chance to play early.

"I just like to guard wide receivers," he said. "I have nice range. I'm 6-foot, and I have long arms, so I think I have a chance to guard any receiver I face. I'm just going to go in and fight for a spot, and from there, it's whatever happens."

Belue also made an impact in the return game for NEMCC this year with 691 return yards and two touchdowns. He says Alabama has expressed interested in that part of his game as well.

As a sophomore, Belue earned NJCAA All-American honors and helped his team reach the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade.

"As a team, we made it to the playoffs, and they had not made it to the playoffs in probably seven or eight years," Belue said. "On my behalf, I had a good season. I really didn't get as much action as I like, but I was happy with it."

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Top-ranked cornerback Tracy Howard hasn't seen his name associated with Alabama very often, but the Tide coaching staff is still actively recruiting the Miramar star. Tide assistant Jeff Stoutland visited Howard on Monday and the 6-foot, 175-pounder will likely visit the Capstone at some point. Howard will be a tough pull from the Florida schools, particularly FSU and Miami.

***Tide four-star defensive line target Korren Kirven has set up his official visit to Alabama for January 20. As noted in Thursday's Recruiting Nuggets, Kirven is one to watch for Alabama down the stretch.

***Tide JUCO corner target Travell Dixon will check out Miami this weekend on an official visit. While Miami isn't thought to be a strong contender for his signature, this is worth watching as Dixon is from the Miami area originally, playing his prep ball Miami-Norland.

***Tide coach Nick Saban spent Thursday in the state of Louisiana, capping the day off with five-star safety Landon Collins. Saban also visited John Curtis High School who has several promising juniors and sophomores including running backs Sherman Badie and Raekwon James.

***JUCO corner Deion Belue wrapped up his junior college coursework on Wednesday, but the Tide pledge must still await final grades and paperwork processing. If all goes well, he will enroll at Alabama for the spring semester.

***Tide coaches visited with five-star receiver Dorial Green-Beckham on Thursday, and Alabama remains in his top five with a possible official visit to come in January. While Arkansas and Oklahoma are considered the betting favorites, don't discount the Tide they way things are rolling right now on the recruiting front.

***The Alphonse Taylor situation could very well come to a resolution on Friday, and right now all things still look positive for the Tide to make room and accept his commitment (with the usual disclaimer that things could change quick).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davidson High School lineman Alphonse Taylor committed to the University of Alabama on Friday a little more than a week after de-committing to Florida State.

Taylor is the Crimson Tide's 24th commitment for the 2012 class. At 6-foot-6, 340 pounds, Taylor could play offensive or defensive tackle, although the UA coaching staff currently likes him on the defensive side of the ball.

Taylor released the following statement on Friday:

"After carefully considering the amazing opportunities in front of me, I am committing to play football for the University of Alabama and enroll in January. I appreciate the support of my family, friends, teachers, and coaches who have always helped and supported me. While there were many factors to my decision, ultimately I want to play nose guard for Alabama whose fierce and dedicated defenses are a tradition in this state and around the nation"

"I maintain a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Fischer and the Florida State Seminoles."

Taylor has worked hard on his conditioning this season trying to drop weight. He's made significant progress but still wants to get in better shape before reporting to Alabama.

Taylor is scheduled to graduate early and could report to Alabama in January for the spring semester, which would give him a chance to go through spring practice and the offseason strength and conditioning program.

Taylor chose Florida State in late April, but began having second thoughts before finally telling the Florida State coaching staff that he was re-opening his commitment.

Last week Davidson High School football coach Fred Riley released the following statement:

"After much deliberation and conversation, Alphonse Taylor has decided against attending Florida State University," Riley's statement said according to AL.com. "We have spent the greater part of the past two days discussing this decision and its ramifications. I have met with the family and they are in full support of their son and Florida State was notified of his decision this morning.

"As you are aware we frown upon this type of thing at Davidson and this has been discussed at great length with Alphonse. We are asking that he be allowed a couple of days to work through this and he will not be available or making any public statements concerning this or his future until sometime Friday."

Quote:
Jenkins sets decision date
Greg Ostendorf | TideSports | December 23, 2011

Rivals100 defensive end Jordan Jenkins is nearing the end of the recruiting process. He's narrowed his list down to four schools, and he's ready to make a decision.

"He's got it narrowed down to Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Georgia," said Ronald Jenkins, Jordan's father. "He may do a little tweaking over the next week or so, but he's about ready to finish the process. He's looking forward to finding a home and moving on from there."

Jenkins was originally planning to announce his decision at the Under Armour All-America Game on Jan. 5 in Florida, but he's now pushed it back to Jan. 9 where he can do it in his hometown of Hamilton, Ga.

"He was going to announce at the Under Armour game, but a better announcement situation came up for him," the elder Jenkins said. "At Under Armour, they put you on for a few seconds, and he would've been done. Now, we have a different type of announcement where he can sit there, be interviewed and talk more about how he feels."

At this point, the Rivals.com four-star knows what each of his finalists has to offer. He's visited each school multiple times during the season, and all four coaching staffs came to visit him during the open period earlier this month.

Still, a few factors stand out that he's using to differentiate his choices.

"He's definitely looking at his relationship with the coaches," Jenkins said. "He's also looking at his relationship with players. He's looking at locations. He's narrowed it down to more of a small college town. That's how he likes it because he's kind of a quiet guy.

"He's looking also at the opportunity to find a way to hit the field as early as possible. He understands that it's going to take work. No matter where he goes, he's going to have to put a lot of work in, but he's ready to compete."

Jenkins' father talked about the four finalists and what specifically his son likes about each school.

Alabama: Alabama is a program with tradition. He gets along with the coaching staff. He likes the coaching staff up there. He's got an ex-teammate who plays there in LaMichael Fanning, and he enjoys Tuscaloosa. It's got that small-town feel that he enjoys.

Auburn: Auburn is another school with a small-town feel. He's enjoyed going up there and watching games at their stadium. It's close to home. He likes Coach (Mike) Pelton. We like Gene Chizik as well.

Florida: Florida has a good engineering program. They also have history with their football program. Going through the coaching change, he initially had to warm up to the new coaches. He liked Urban Meyer when Urban Meyer was there, and he had to make adjustments with the staff changing. He likes the location and the campus as well.

Georgia: We like Coach (Todd) Grantham a lot. He's the ultimate teacher. He teaches the game and has a lot of passion. We like Coach Richt as well. We know he's a good guy. Jordan's enjoyed himself up there as of late, and he's built a relationship with a couple players up there.

For now, Jenkins is looking forward to getting down to Orlando where he can start working out for the Under Armour game. That may be the last chance anybody has to influence his decision as all four schools will be represented with committed players, playing in the game.

Quote:
Mini-Recruiting Corner: Happy Holidays Edition
And Taylor Makes 24
Davidson High School lineman Alphonse Taylor caught people by surprise Friday morning when he unexpectedly announced his verbal commitment to the University of Alabama a little more than a week after de-committing from Florida State. Last Friday Taylor drove to Tuscaloosa to meet with UA coach Nick Saban and left town without announcing a decision. After having the weekend to think about it, Taylor still had to convince his family, who developed a great relationship and felt very comfortable with the Florida State coaching staff, that Alabama was the right place for him. The family initially decided to take a visit to Tuscaloosa to meet with Saban again Jan. 4 before Alabama left for New Orleans to begin preparations for the BCS National Championship Game. However, Taylor ended the drama on Friday going public with his commitment.

Where this class stands
Taylor’s commitment brought the UA 2012 class closer to fulfillment. Where exactly does Alabama stand? Simply put, it’s tight and some tough decisions will need to be made before National Signing Day. The Crimson Tide coaching staff has secured 24 commitments (and could potentially nab another at any time depending on what happens with Deion Belue, but for the purposes of The Recruiting Corner we’ll stick with 24 commitments) and only have a couple of spots remaining in the class. With some huge talent still available, including Landon Collins, Eddie Goldman, Jordan Jenkins, Cyrus Jones, Channing Ward and Jameis Winston, some very difficult choices will need to be made. How that takes shape remains to be seen. It could come in the form of players asked to delay enrollment. It could come by current commitments re-opening their recruitments. It could come in the form of academic casualties. Whatever form it takes, you can almost count on this class looking different come National Signing Day.

Georgia threatening?
After enjoying one of its better seasons of late, Georgia is trying to turn that on-the-field success into dividends in recruiting. The Bulldogs remain on the trail of Brandon Greene, Dillon Lee and Jordan Jenkins. Lee and Greene continue to reaffirm to the Alabama coaching staff that their commitments are secure. Of the two, Lee, who is scheduled to enroll in January, appears the most solid. Greene has admitted to doubts about his decision on two occasions. Georgia coaches have continued to point out Alabama’s depth, especially with Jenkins. The fact that Alabama has five committed linebackers, including Ryan Anderson, who is projected at Jack linebacker, a position Jenkins has made no secret he wants to play, is definitely going to come into play for Jenkins. Also that Alabama is still recruiting Channing Ward is also being used against the Tide.

Better than 2008?
The comparison between the 2012 and 2008 recruiting classes has been a popular topic of conversation as of late. And is crazy as it might sound, it may not be that far off. If Alabama closes with some of the big names still remaining on its board it's only natural that those comparisons be made. It's going to be a wild ride until National Signing Day. Hold on tight.

Happy Holidays!

:usa2: