• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BAMA Recruiting

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***According to his head coach, Vigor defensive end Darius Philon will be making his college decision this Thursday between Alabama and Tennessee with UA comfortably out front. Although Philon appears to be under the radar with the average Tide fan, the 6-foot-1, 270-pounder is far from an unknown on the Mobile prep football scene. Philon is a ferocious pass-rusher with a knack for annihilating opposing quarterbacks as seen in his highlight film here:

Philon Junior Highlights

***BOL will have an update on one of the consensus top five prospects in-state for 2013 - Pinson Valley's Earnest Robinson - coming up later in the week. In the meantime, his Head Coach Matt Glover tells BOL that Alabama is currently out in front for this big-time receiver.

***Sources tell BamaOnline.com that Oklahoma City four-star running back Barry Sanders Jr. is tentatively scheduled to visit Alabama for the Tide's home contest against Tennessee on October 22. Sanders, who has been low key of late, still has a top four of Alabama, Oklahoma St., Stanford and Florida State. OSU is still thought to be the team to beat, but Sanders remains very interested in Alabama.

***Expect a light visitor list for this weekend's opening game versus Kent State, but a few high profile 2013 prospects have already told BOL they should be in town Saturday, including:

- Eagle's Landing (Ga.) defensive tackle Isaac Rochell. Rochell should be a top 10 prospect in the Peach state next year, and this is already shaping up to be an Alabama-UGA battle. Alabama may have the early lead by jumping on Rochell early.

- Clay-Chalkville WR DeAndre Woods. Woods is continuing the momentum of an excellent sophomore season with four catches and a touchdown in his season opener. At 6-foot-4, Woods should have a number of SEC offers before all is said and done.

- Alpharetta (Ga.) WR Carlos Burse already holds offers from Florida, Virginia Tech and Tennessee. The 6-foot-3, 205-pounder should see his stock skyrocket. A very physically advanced prospect with great athleticism.

***One 2012 target who was originally scheduled to visit this weekend was New Jersey linebacker Quanzell Lambert. Lambert will visit Alabama later in the fall due to a conflict with his high school practices.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Scout, Darius Philon is set to pick between Alabama, Miss st., and Kentucky tomorrow morning at 8am.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAMA lands 18th commit

Alabama continued its recent good fortunes at Vigor High School early Thursday morning when defensive lineman Darius Philon committed to the Crimson Tide. The 6-foot-2, 260-pound Mobile prospect was committed to Auburn for most of the summer and received an offer from Alabama after a standout performance at the Crimson Tide’s lineman camp in June. Philon becomes Alabama’s 18th commitment in the class of 2012.
Philon is Alabama's seventh in-state commitment in the 2012 cycle.

"I think he felt he committed too soon when he originally committed to Auburn. He didn't take his time with the process and felt rushed,” said Vigor head coach Kerry Stevenson. “He stood back and thought about his options a little more, and I think he feels like he made the right decision this time."

Stevenson has seen his fair share of prospects come through Vigor and is high on Philon’s potential.

"I think a lot of people are sleeping on this kid,” noted Stevenson. “His momma and daddy are tall people, so I think he is going to continue to grow some more If he doesn't, at the same point in their careers, he is ahead of Sen'Derrick Marks who played here and was drafted in the second round by the Titans.”

Philon has made a name for himself throughout Mobile by showcasing a high-end motor and ferocious pass rush.

"I think he could play end or play inside. He plays end for us and we haven't played anyone who can block him all night with one guy,” Stevenson said. “He never stops coming at you. He is relentless going to the football, and if he falls down, he is going to get up and keep coming after you.

"He has always been a hard working kid for us. He is very vocal and a leader on the field. He will stay on you if you are loafing. Everyone looks to him as one of our leaders, and he has been doing this for four years now against top competition."

The Vigor star and his teammates are gearing up for a big Thursday night game against cross-town Davidson and a matchup that will pit Philon against Florida State commit Alphonse Taylor.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Among the most noteworthy juniors (class of 2013) in the state heading into the 2011 season is Pinson Valley 4-star wide receiver Earnest Robinson. The 6-foot-1, 192-pound receiver stands out as soon as he steps onto the field as a physically imposing player but his highlight reel has given opposing coaches even more reason to pay him special attention.
Robinson camped at Alabama over the summer.

"Earnest is off to a great start this season," said Pinson Valley head coach Matt Glover. "He had two touchdown catches in our first game and made some big plays with multiple broken tackles. It was difficult to get him the ball because the defense was bracketing him with double coverage for most of the game. It looks like that's what the game plan will be to stop us from most opponents, keep the ball away from Earnest. Luckily, we have some other great receivers who can hurt you as well so they'll have to stay honest. Earnest has been preparing for this so it's not a shock to him. He knew after what he did last year that he'd be getting extra attention from defenses this year."

Glover said Robinson, who already held a physical advantage over most players he faced, has become even more physically dominant and imposing in the offseason, an improvement that will likely lead to plenty of broken tackles and yards after contact.

"Overall he has really developed his body and become a lot stronger and more physical since last year. He broke what seemed like seven tackles on a crossing route last week. He is not afraid of contact and he is capable of really hurting you once he gets the ball in his hands. He's just so much more physically advanced than the guys covering him most of the time."

Robinson holds early offers from Alabama and Auburn as well as schools from around the nation including Florida State, Oregon and Mississippi State but at this point Glover believes the standout receiver is leaning towards staying in state.

"He's really not thinking much about recruiting at this point but I think he has a pretty good understanding that playing for either of the in-state schools can really open doors for you later in life if you are planning to live here after college. He has been to camps at Alabama and Auburn and right now based on what he told me about both camps I think he has Alabama ahead right now. He just seemed more comfortable with the atmosphere at that camp and the way their coaches operate, but I know he likes a lot about both schools. He doesn't know for sure where he wants to go yet and he's not feeling pressure from any of the schools, which is nice."

While an intense recruiting process is likely ahead for Robinson, Glover said for now the junior is focused on improving his own work ethic and off-field habits to make himself into the best possible player.

"Earnest is a tremendously talented kid and things have come pretty easily for him so far on the field. He is learning how to give 100 percent every day in practice but it's a process for guys that talented and I think he'll get there as he continues to mature. He's a good kid who loves to play the game and I think he'll always be willing to do what he has to do to get better."

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bastrop (LA) linebacker Denzel Devall is among Alabama’s top remaining defensive targets. The 6-foot-2, 240-pound Devall became a priority for Alabama after a standout performance during the Crimson Tide’s June prospect camp and has been keeping in regular contact with the staff.
Devall spoke with head coach Nick Saban and wide receivers coach Mike Groh earlier this week.

“I talked to Coach (Mike) Groh and Coach (Nick) Saban earlier this week,” Devall said. “Me and Coach Groh keep in touch all the time. We’re pretty cool and have a pretty close relationship. Coach Saban wanted to wish me good luck this season and said that he hoped I stay healthy and play well. He wants me to come down for a couple games, and I plan on getting down there for a few. He was basically telling me what he’s told me in the past- that they’re losing a lot of linebackers next year.”

Devall’s recruitment remains an Alabama-Texas A&M battle and the Pelican state prospect is looking forward to taking official visits to each school during the season.

“It’s Bama and A&M on the same plane right now. They’re pretty even,” stated Devall. “I think I’m going to take an official to A&M when they play Oklahoma State. I’m not sure when I’m going to visit Alabama yet. I have to look at the schedule, but I want to get down there and see the atmosphere.

“I’m going to try to take four or five official visits, but if I can’t I’m definitely going to get to Bama and A&M. I’ll probably take those earlier and see what happens. I haven’t given a decision much thought yet. I’ve been focused on this season.”

Devall and Bastrop’s season begins tonight against Greenville (MS) Weston.

“We’ve been getting ready to go to Greenville, Mississippi to play one of the biggest schools in the state of Mississippi. We had a jamboree last week and I had an okay game. I played end and had eight tackles and a scoop and score from forty yards. It was a mediocre game. One of my goals this year is to get at least eight tackles and two sacks each game. Our team goal is to make it to the promised land by all means. I want to set a good example and hopefully we’ll get there.”

The four-star prospect recently made the permanent move from defensive end to middle linebacker and feels the switch will benefit both his team and his future.

“I played defensive end in the jamboree, but I’m playing middle linebacker now. I told my coach a while back that I wanted to go to middle linebacker- I feel like I’m more in control of the defense. I’m pretty smart and I can get everyone lined up and make all the checks. My coach said he wants me at middle and that’s my permanent position for this season.

“When I played end, some of the teams we play would run away from my side and I’d have to chase everything down. They can’t do that as much when I’m in the middle. Another plus of playing middle linebacker is that will help me develop for the next level.”

Devall is ranked as the 107th best prospect in the nation and the third best prospect in the state of Louisiana by 247Sports.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huntsville 2013 linebacker Cameron Toney is reporting an offer from Alabama today. He is a huge Tide fan and wouldn't expect him to keep things dragging out too long.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huntsville (Ala.) junior linebacker Cameron Toney only has one scholarship offer but it's certainly one he covets. The 6-foot-3, 210 pound prospect was offered by Alabama late last night and the Tide have cemented their status as his top school.

"Alabama has always shown a lot of interest, but I didn't expect an offer that soon," Toney said. "Me and my family have always loved the program, they were my top program before and that hasn't changed. I'm excited to go down tomorrow and watch them play against Kent State."

Some expected Toney to commit on the spot when offered. That didn't happen but an early decision is not out of the question.

"I need to talk to my coach and my parents this week about the offer and recruiting," he said. "Right now I don't have any plans to commit and I want to see which other programs may decide to offer. A lot of other programs are showing interest right now and I'll just have to see what happens."

Toney said his top five programs are Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn and Texas A&M. All have shown a solid amount of interest along with FSU and Kentucky among others.

Alabama is his clear leader at this time he said.

"I just love the style of defense they play and the coaching," he said. "They are always flying to the ball and I love the intensity of the defense. I have a lot of respect for coach (Nick) Saban and his staff."

"I like the other schools too but haven't had a chance to check them out. I have only visited Vanderbilt so I may take some other trips to see what each has to offer."

Coaches love his nose for the football and coverage as a linebacker. Toney said coaches have commented on his hands and his footwork among other qualities.

Expert take: It's obvious Toney has the Tide at the top of his list from his comments. It's very early in his recruitment so it will be interesting to see if he decides to end the process early or take his time. Most expect it may be sooner rather than later when Toney gives his verbal commitment, most likely to the Tide.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Piedmont (AL) outside linebacker/safety James Major was one of a number of in-state underclassmen on hand for Alabama’s game against Kent State. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Major enjoyed his time at the Capstone and was able to meet with Alabama head coach Nick Saban before the game.
Major spoke with Alabama head coach Nick Saban while in Tuscaloosa.

“We just got there, ate a good breakfast, and went down and met Coach Saban,” stated Major. “It was great to meet Coach Saban. We were in there talking and he seems like a very relaxed guy. He told me to keep on keeping on with what I’m doing. He said he wants me to keep in touch, keep sending them my film, and see where it goes from there. Coach Bobby Williams is my recruiter for Alabama. We’ve had a pretty good relationship since last year. We talked and he basically told me to keep it up like Coach Saban did and to keep coming down to games.”

While in Tuscaloosa, Major was able to see a few familiar faces and witness his first game in Bryant-Denny Stadium in several years.

“After we talked with the coaches, I got to meet all the recruits and see some people I knew and then we went out and watched the game. I got to see Cameron Toney the linebacker from Huntsville, B.J. Hammond from Gadsden City, and Bradley Bozeman from Handley. Those were the recruits there that I knew personally before going to the game.

“It was just great being there. This was the first game that I’ve been to at Alabama since I was in the second grade. We played in the state championship there my ninth grade year, so I already know what the stadium looked like, but the team is amazing. Everybody’s huge and fast. It’s everything you would want in a football team, really.”

While he’s yet to receive his first offer, Major is hearing from a number of top programs.

“I’m getting a lot of interest from schools like Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State, and Oregon. Those are the schools that are giving me the most attention right now. I haven’t really thought about favorites- I’m just trying to focus on high school football for right now. I actually grew up a Georgia fan. I grew up in Georgia and moved over here when I was young.”

Major plays all over the field for Piedmont, but sees himself on the defensive side of the ball at the next level.

“I moved from outside linebacker to safety this year. I’m starting to get used to it and I’m starting to read everything a lot better. I’m trying to work as hard as I can to be the best safety I can be. I also play running back, but I think I’ll play safety or outside linebacker in college.”

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Coast High School in Jacksonville, Florida is annually one of the top talent-producing schools in the Sunshine State and the current team is no different with Alabama wide receiver commitment Chris Black leading the way. One of the next in line at First Coast is class of 2013 linebacker Daniel McMillian. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound McMillian has early offers from the likes of Alabama, Arkansas, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Miami, and South Carolina.
McMillian says he thought about committing to Alabama while visiting in July.

“Alabama and Arkansas have offered me and I’ve gotten a whole bunch of mail here recently,” McMillian noted. “I can’t name everybody, but it’s a lot. I’d have to say Alabama, Florida, and Arkansas are coming after me the hardest right now.”

In July, McMillian joined Black on the five-star wide receiver’s last visit to Alabama before making a commitment to the Crimson Tide. The visit made a big impression on McMillian, who says he actually gave thought to committing to Alabama while on campus.

“That was my first time touring around an SEC school and it was beautiful. I could truly could see myself there,” he said. “I talked with the defensive backs coach, Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt, when we were there and we had a good talk. We talked about little techniques like rip moves and how to get off blocks. I also spoke a little with Coach Saban. We shared some words and it was good to meet him.

“I thought about committing, but I want to see my other options before I commit and make sure I make the right decision. I wouldn’t say I have any favorites right now and it’s going to be who’s the best fit for me as far as playing time and who can help me get to the NFL.”

The junior linebacker has received some insight from his highly-touted teammate on how to handle the recruiting process.

“Chris says just to follow your heart and to go to the place that you think is best for you. He said it doesn't matter who you like, but to pick the place that fits you best. I want to go somewhere that feels like home and a place that treats me like family. I also want to go to a place where they play the best players and the ones who work the hardest.”

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Look for Florence athlete Beniquez Brown to make a decision very shortly after his senior season is complete with an outside chance of it happening earlier. If Alabama has a firm spot for him, the Tide would be the runaway favorite here. If Brown pulls the trigger for Mississippi State (where he has a cousin currently committed), then that would be an indication that UA is saving room for other needs.

***Two 2012 prospects to cross off the Tide's recruiting list - tight end Kent Taylor and defensive lineman Carlos Watkins. Taylor has replaced UA with FSU on his list of favorites and will likely pick between UF and FSU. Watkins told BOL Wednesday night that he has not heard much from the Tide lately which may be an indication of how they feel on other prospects such as Dalvin Tomlinson out of Henry County.

***Expect Butler (NC) quarterback Riley Ferguson to receive an Alabama offer very soon. Ferguson is part of a loaded 2013 quarterback class nationally. Clemson is the early betting favorite.

***Light visitor weekend as expected with a non-conference lightweight match-up in town competing with other regional games such as FSU-Oklahoma and UF-UT. Tide commits Reuben Foster, Bradley Bozeman, and Alec Morris are expected to be in town.

***2013 WR DeAndre Woods had scheduled to be in town, but has decided to wait a week until the Tide's showdown with division rival Arkansas as has 2013 star Earnest Robinson.

***Speaking of Morris, the signal-caller does not expect to enroll at Alabama early as had been rumored earlier. He will be back in town for the LSU and take his official visit in January to Tuscaloosa.

***Timber Creek (NJ) linebacker Quanzell Lambert expects to visit Alabama officially sometime in December. Alabama would like to snag wither Lambert or Louisiana head-hunter Denzell Devall to round out its linebacker class which is already stacked.

***Central Park (Birmingham) small forward JaCorey Williams was originally set to officially visit Alabama this weekend but will reschedule for next weekend in all likelihood.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kenyan Drake, four-star running back from Powder Springs-Hillgrove, Ga., is having a great senior season rushing for more than 500 yards in four games. He is a commitment to the University of Alabama, but that hasn***8217;t stopped the in-state SEC school from trying to turn his head. Andrew Bone has the latest news..

"The season is going just as planned," said Kenyan Drake. "It's where we want to be at this point. We are progressing one game at a time. We are 4-0. We have a bye week this week.

"Before our last game I had 21 carries for 325 yards with five rushing touchdowns. I also had four catches for 155 yards with three touchdowns. In our last game I had 18 carries for 196 yards and three touchdowns."

Drake is hoping the long-time teammates can bring a state title in their final year together.

"As a team we have improved our chemistry," he said. "Our senior class has been together since the program first started when we were in the seventh grade. We all came up together.

"This is our last year. We have built a lot of chemistry with each other. Every individual is coming together. We're going after the greater goal, and it has helped propel a lot of individuals to be successful."

Hillgrove is idle this week, but Drake will not visit Tuscaloosa this weekend for the Arkansas game due to SAT prep classes. He plans to attend the LSU game November 5th. He talked about the game this weekend, and the Tide's season.

"I am very excited about watching the game on TV," said Drake. "I think it will be a great showdown between two SEC-West powers. Hopefully Alabama will win and go to the front of the SEC-West.

"I didn***8217;t catch the last game, but I saw the game against Penn State. We physically dominated the game. It was impressive to watch the performance. The game wasn***8217;t a slouch especially going to Penn State. I watched the game against Kent State. It was a small school, but Alabama did what they needed to do. They dominated offensively and defensively. They got a solid win."

Alabama running back coach Burton Burns attended Drake's game last week. The top ball carrier in the Peach State remains a highly sought-after prospect by the home-state school.

"There are no other schools besides Georgia recruiting me," Drake said. "I get handwritten letters from them every week. I talked to coach McClendon the first couple of days they could contact us.

"He told me about how their depth chart is very slim. They are looking for a big-time running back in this class. They want it to be me. I haven't thought about visiting them. I am solid with my commitment. It***8217;s hard enough to make Alabama games."

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Alabama currently holding strong at 18 commitments for the class of 2012 recruiting cycle, it is worth a look to see where the Tide stands going forward with just a little more than four months remaining until Signing Day. Note that this is not an exhaustive list of prospects that the Tide is pursuing, and new names can pop up at any time.

Quarterback

Alabama is likely done at the quarterback position with red-hot Allen (Tx.) signal-caller Alec Morris emerging no longer as a hidden gem. The Tide would very much entertain revisiting prior committed targets such as Hueytown***8217;s Jameis Winston or Indiana gunslinger Gunner Kiel, but the odds of either kid flipping at this point is slim.

Remaining Spots: 0

Running Back

While most of the message board focus is centered on who isn***8217;t on board with the Tide at the running back position, Hillgrove athlete Kenyan Drake is having a monster season for the Class AAAAA emerging powerhouse. Don***8217;t be surprised to see Drake stick at the position into his career at UA and develop into a star.

The Tide is also very much in the picture with Oklahoma back Barry Sanders who will visit for the Alabama-Tennessee contest. Stanford, FSU and obviously Oklahoma State are all still in the picture. Alabama has also continued to recruit Auburn commitment TJ Yeldon who is having a monster senior season.

Remaining Spots: 0-1

Wide Receiver/Tight End

The Tide already has a crown jewel-level prospect wrapped up at this position in Jacksonville-First Coast athlete Chris Black but would like to add another prospect with size. Columbia (SC) star Casey Gladney is also on the commit list and is having a huge senior season, but the 6-foot-1 speedster has a lot of work to do in the classroom.

Miami-Northwestern star Amari Cooper is the obvious target on the board for Alabama, and after nearly committing to Alabama in late August, Cooper has decided to enjoy the recruiting process a little longer with other schools still coming on strong. The remaining wide receiver targets fall into two categories: long-shots (Dorial Green-Beckham, Dwayne Stanford) and sleepers (anyone who could emerge at the prep level or JUCO ranks).

With respect to tight end, Alabama is very much in it for Buford star Kurt Freitag, a devastating blocker who could line up at H-back as well. Freitag, however, is enamored with Florida and it will be a battle down the stretch for his signature. If UA strikes out here, 2013 will be huge in adding two big-time targets at the position.

Remaining Spots: 1-2

Offensive Line

Alabama has one commitment along the offensive line in Brandon Greene along with defensive linemen Caleb Gulledge and Dakota Ball who could both project on the offensive side of the ball long term. Greene***8217;s value in this class isn***8217;t discussed enough, as he gives UA a pure left tackle prospect with the potential of developing into an elite blindside pass blocker. Greene is even more valuable when the dearth of 2012 offensive tackle talent in the southeast is considered. UA is after three more offensive linemen in Tennessee products Brandon Hill and Andrew Jelks as well as Buford, Georgia***8217;s Vadal Alexander. While Jelks and Alexander are both scheduled to be in Tuscaloosa for the Arkansas game, UA may have the best shot with Hill, who could develop into a road-grading right tackle. Look for tackle to be a priority for UA in 2013.

Remaining Spots: 1-2

Defensive Line

This unit, more than any other, will likely see the most activity from UA***8217;s standpoint down the stretch. Alabama is very much in it for 6-8 big time targets. At defensive end, Alabama is in outstanding shape for Harris County***8217;s Jordan Jenkins, still in the background for Mississippi star Channing Ward and a player if they make a push for East Mississippi C.C. star Denico Autry. Alabama possibly leads for interior target Dalvin Tomlinson and while they are very much in the mix for the nation***8217;s top DT, Eddie Goldman, FSU is currently the team to beat and distancing themselves from the pack. Mammoth Georgia Military College nose tackle Daniel McCullers is a top target of the Tide staff and would be an ideal mountain in the middle at 6-foot-6, 370 pounds.

Remaining Spots: 2-3

Linebacker

The Tide already has an excellent crop of linebackers secured for 2012 with depth and talent everywhere. Thomasville***8217;s Tyler Hayes has been dominant so far as well as Buford inside linebacker Dillon Lee who has played limited snaps due to weekly blowouts. No prospect is seeing his stock rise as quickly as Bob Jones inside backer Reggie Ragland who has been unblockable in his senior campaign. Jack linebacker candidate Ryan Anderson is also making a case for top senior season among Tide commits.

Alabama would like to round the class out with a couple of more targets with one inside backer between the duo of Quanzell Lambert and Denzel Devall. Oxford linebacker Kwon Alexander still has a spot in this class despite ending his senior season last Friday with a torn ACL. Also keep an eye on Lafayette (Miss.) athlete Jeremy Liggins who may be swinging interest back towards the Tide after the Ole Miss Rebels abysmal start to 2011. Liggins could play inside or Jack linebacker for the Tide or on the defensive line.

Remaining Spots: 2

Defensive Back

Even with the commitments of Geno Smith and Eddie Williams who may be the top two prospects at their respective positions of corner and safety nationally, Alabama would like to add more depth at corner and a big time safety down the stretch. The big time safety is obviously Louisiana star Landon Collins who will almost certainly pick between Alabama and LSU. At corner, Alabama is still looking at prep stars such as Cyrus Jones, but a JUCO pick-up such as Eastern Arizona star Travell Dixon is vitally important to offset the Tide***8217;s expected attrition after this season. Miami star Deon Bush is a possibility at either spot.

Remaining Spots: 2-3.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
September 22, 2011

Greg Ostendorf
TideSports.com Recruiting Analyst

2013 star excited about first Alabama game

With the 2012 recruiting class nearly filled out, the University of Alabama has already started looking ahead to the 2013 class, and a number of high school juniors will be on campus this weekend, including Ga. corner back Shaquille Wiggins.

Despite not having an offer from the Crimson Tide yet, Wiggins has been hearing a lot from UA defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, his main recruiter.

"The last time I talked to Kirby was the beginning of the season, and he was just telling me to keep up the good work, get bigger, and that he wants me to come to the game Saturday to see Alabama for myself."

It will be Wiggins' first trip to Tuscaloosa, and after hearing all of the stories, he's excited to see the atmosphere at Bryant-Denny Stadium in person.

"I'm pretty pumped up about it," Wiggins said. "Knowing that Nick Saban is Alabama's coach and with the ridiculous numbers for the spring game and this being an SEC game, I can't even imagine how the crowd is going to be."

At this point, Wiggins has offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Ball State, Cincinnati, Ohio and Toledo, but the Sandy Creek High School star is hearing from numerous elite programs from across the country.

He's hoping to receive an offer from Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban.

"I would love the chance to play for a coach like that at Alabama with his history of having great defensive backs going pro," Wiggins said. "Getting coach by him would be a privilege."

Through three games this year, the 5-foot-10, 160-pound cornerback already has five interceptions.

Brown to visit, close to a decision

It's a big weekend for Florence athlete Beniquez Brown, a 2012 prospect, who will be taking his last trip to UA before making a decision between Alabama, Florida and Mississippi State.

"I'm going to get down there, hang out, talk to the coaches for a little bit, watch the game and head on back home," Brown said.

The in-state star has been in contact with UA assistant coach Mike Groh, his main recruiter, over the last couple of weeks, and he called Groh this week to confirm he was coming.

Brown watched Mississippi State play two weeks ago at Auburn and also plans to visit Florida next weekend when the Crimson Tide travels to Gainesville. He wants to make a decision shortly after his visits.

"I'm really looking at these visits hard," Brown said. "I'm going to talk to the coaches and see what they have to say. If I don't like what they say or I don't fit in, I probably won't go there. I'm just trying to find the best place for me."

Lee scheduled to be in town

Alabama's 2012 recruiting class will be represented in Tuscaloosa over the weekend, but one name to keep an eye on is Buford, Ga., linebacker Dillon Lee. It will be Lee's first trip to UA this season.

"I just talked to Coach Saban (Wednesday)," Lee said. "He was just seeing how my season was going and how he thinks the team is at a good place right now, but that they just have to keep improving.

"He is excited for me and my family to come down because this will be my first visit down there this year."

Lee, who committed to Alabama in May, has made headlines this season after attending a couple of games at Georgia. However, he says there's nothing to worry about and that he was just going to see his brother play.

"My brother just recently earned his starting spot at Georgia on the offensive line, so I thought I should be there for his first couple college starts," Lee said. "I'm still solid to Alabama."

Through five games, Buford High School is 5-0 with three shutouts, and Lee has only had to play into the third quarter once all season.

Notes

Cedar Grove, Ga., offensive lineman Brandon Greene, an Alabama commitment, plans to drive over for the game Saturday depending on how late he gets done with his game. If Greene makes the trip, he's talking about bringing Cedar Grove quarterback Johnathan McCrary with him. McCrary, an elite 2013 prospect, has the Crimson Tide among his top schools.

Daphne linebacker Ryan Anderson, who's also committed to Alabama, plans to come up with a couple of his teammates on Saturday, including his cousin Torren McGaster. McGaster, a cornerback for Daphne, has received some interest from the UA coaching staff.

DeAndre Woods and Earnest Robinson, a pair of 2013 wide receivers from the Birmingham area are both scheduled to be in Tuscaloosa over the weekend. The two will more than likely hang out at the game together as they are pretty good friends.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a thin group of visitors for last weekend's 41-0 demolition of North Texas, the University of Alabama will enjoy a significant uptick in the amount of talent headed to Tuscaloosa this weekend to watch the Tide take on Arkansas.

***Buford offensive lineman Vadal Alexander, one of the better interior OL prospects in the country, will take his official visit to Tuscaloosa this weekend. He will be joined by teammates Kurt Frietag (uncommitted) and Dillon Lee (Tide commit). Frietag is very likely down to Alabama and Florida and will decide in the late fall.

***The top prospect in the state of Georgia, Harris County pass-rusher Jordan Jenkins will make the first of what will be multiple trips to Tuscaloosa this fall. Jenkins expects to take his official visit to Alabama for the LSU game.

***Florence athlete Beniquez Brown is right on the edge of having a firm offer from the Tide, and Brown will check out the Tide this weekend. If UA does not make a push, expect Mississippi State to be a big factor in his recruitment.

***Two big-time maybes for this weekend include Henry County defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson and 2013 elite DL Isaac Rochell. Both have indicated they will be in town if they can secure transportation to Tuscaloosa.

***Lafayette (Miss.) athlete Jeremy Liggins could be making his second trip to Tuscaloosa in as many weekends. Alabama seems to be regaining some momentum with the jumbo athlete who could play quarterback, tight end, defensive end or linebacker at the next level.

***Tennessee OL Andrew Jelks was originally set to take an official visit to Tuscaloosa this weekend, but will wait until January to take the official. Jelks will, however, be in town this weekend as an unofficial visitor.

***A slew of 2013/2014 stars are expected in town, including Little Rock running back Altee Tenpenny, Peach state CB Shaquille Wiggins, in-state star receivers DeAndre Woods and Earnest Robinson, St. Paul linebacker Tre Williams, 2014 signal-caller EJ Moss out of Ashville High School, Oxford (Ala.) stars Ulric Jones and running back Racean Thomas, Alpharetta (Ga.) WR Carlos Burse, the Northridge duo of wide receiver James Cox and running back Bo Scarborough, and Columbus (Miss.) offensive tackle Jake Thomas.

***The majority of the Tide's 2012-2013 commitments have indicated they will be on hand Saturday as well.

***Another Tide sport will also be hosting an important official visitor as Central Park (Birmingham) small forward JaCorey Williams will be in town and under the watchful eye of Alabama basketball coach Anthony Grant.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe I missed this yesterday:

Alabama has landed Miami (FL) Northwestern wide receiver Amari Cooper who announced his commitment to the Crimson Tide on national television Thursday afternoon. The 6-foot-1, 183-pounder becomes Alabama’s 19th commitment in the 2012 class. Cooper selected the Crimson Tide over Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, and West Virginia.

"I just felt like it’s the best choice for me," Cooper said of committing to Alabama. "I felt like the opportunity there that they presented to me is great. It was just one of the best campuses that I visited. I feel good about it."

The Sunshine State wide receiver saw his stock skyrocket over the summer with standout performances on the camp circuit, including a dominating showing at Alabama’s July prospect camp. Cooper credits hard work and determination as factors for his rapid rise.

"(Being recruited heavily) was very exciting at first, and it still is. In my eleventh grade year I wasn’t getting recruited hard and was disappointed in myself. I was still optimistic and believed that I could become a star player so I just kept working hard and (the attention) finally came. It felt good."

Cooper has a grade of 91 from 247Sports, making him a four-star prospect.

Cooper along w/ Chris Black makes this a monster WR class for the Tide.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2013 RB Impressed With Visit

Aaron Suttles
TideSports.com Senior Recruiting Analyst
North Little Rock, Ark., junior running back Altee Tenpenny was one of many top recruits on hand for the University of Alabama's 38-14 throttling of Arkansas Saturday afternoon, and he camed away impressed.

"It was great," Tenpenny told TideSports.com.

Tenpenny is likely out for the season after an ankle injury in the summer but is rehabbing hard to try and make it back before the end of the season.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pounder running back earned an offer from Alabama during the summer. He'd been to the campus before but never in Bryant-Denny Stadium before a packed house.

"I went to the game and met some of the players and coaches," Tenpenny said. "I was on the sideline before the game. I met Dre Kirkpatrick and Dont'a Hightower and a bunch of the linebackers. I also met the quarterback Phillip Sims.

"It was my first time to be there for a game. It was different. But a good different. Everything was so relaxed. I came with my mother and one my teammates. She liked the coaches, the atmosphere, the facilities, the whole nine yards.

"I talked to my main recruiter Coach (Mike) Groh, the running backs coach (Burton) Burns and Coach Nick Saban. He told since I'm injured to focus on encouraging my teammates and making sure my grades stay straight and to just recover.

"I really watched the running backs, Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacy. They did great. Trent had 100 yards and Eddie had a good game. I really liked the way they give the running backs the ball.

"It was a great game. The score says it all."

Tenpenny said he plans to be back in Tuscaloosa for the LSU game and in Auburn at the end of the season for the Iron Bowl.

"Right now I really like Alabama," he said. "The coaches are great. The academics are great. Everything is falling into place."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commits Talk Visits

Lee enjoys visit, talks teammates

The University of Alabama only has six spots left in the 2012 recruiting class, but the UA coaching staff has two remaining targets from Buford High School, Kurt Freitag and Vadal Alexander, who were both in Tuscaloosa over the weekend on official visits.

The Crimson Tide has already found success recruiting the Buford, Ga., area with the commitment of linebacker Dillon Lee. Lee, who is teammates with Freitag and Alexander, was also on campus Saturday.

"It went really good," Lee said. "I had a great time with my family. We met with the coaches, checked into my hotel, did a little campus tour, came back and toured around the facilities at Mal Moore and then went over to the game.

"The coaches were saying they were happy I was there and glad that I came back for a game."

The Alabama staff may now want Lee to do a little recruiting of his own on Alexander, a four-star offensive lineman, and Freitag, a top tight end in Georgia. Both prospects wrapped up their visits and left on Sunday.

Lee talked with Freitag after the game, who said he had fun on his visit.

The Alabama commitment started some rumors of his own when he went to see his brother play at Georgia, but after attending Saturday's game at Bryant-Denny Stadium, he couldn't believe the atmosphere.

"It was crazy," Lee said. "It was probably the loudest, most exciting game I've been to. I thought Alabama looked awesome. I thought they looked real good. I watched the linebackers that were playing like Dont'a (Hightower), Trey DePriest and some of the other guys."

Lee is already scheduled to be back in Tuscaloosa for the Tennessee game next month.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Birthday visit

It was quite the weekend for Alabama commitment Reggie Ragland, who celebrated his birthday on Friday.

Ragland had eight tackles for Bob Jones in a 28-13 win over Spain Park, one of the Patriots' biggest tests all year.

He was wished a happy birthday from UA head coach Nick Saban before attending the Crimson Tide's 38-14 win over Arkansas, and he finished off the weekend with a family cookout at his house on Sunday.

"I had fun," Ragland said. "I went down there and talked with Coach Saban before the game. He told me happy birthday and asked how my game went.

"I talked to Chris Black, Eddie (Williams), Tyler (Hayes), Ryan (Anderson), Dakota (Ball), Darren (Lake). I pretty much talked to everybody down there."

Ragland also saw Anderson's teammate T.J. Yeldon, an Auburn commitment, who was in Tuscaloosa for the game on Saturday. He didn't talk with the Daphne running back, but said that Anderson is working to sway his friend to come to Alabama with him.

"I talked to Ryan, and Ryan said that he was trying to convince T.J. to come to Alabama," Ragland said.

As for the game, Ragland kept a close eye on Crimson Tide linebackers Dont'a Hightower and Courtney Upshaw but thought the entire team looked great.

"They looked real good," Ragland said. "The offense was clicking. The defense was hitting. That's pretty much normal for Alabama."

The Bob Jones linebacker plans to come back in two weeks for the Vanderbilt game.

Linebackers unite

Alabama has one of the top linebacker classes in the country expected to enroll next year with Anderson, Lee, Ragland, and Tyler Hayes already committed and Jordan Jenkins looming as another possibility.

Jenkins and the four commitments were all on campus over the weekend to witness the Crimson Tide's victory.

Hayes, a 6-foot-3, 215-pound athlete who's expected to play linebacker at the next level, got a chance to talk with the other linebackers in the 2012 class before the game.

"They look like good athletes, and apparently they are, if they are Division I prospects," Hayes said. "It will be nice to meet and play with new people."

The Thomasville High School star has been to all three Alabama home games this season and others in years past but said that Saturday's may have been the loudest.

"It was loud, I can you tell that," Hayes said. "I don't think I've been to a game that loud. I'm pretty sure the players were nervous because I know when I get there, I'll be nervous with a big crowd like that. That's a good thing, though.

"They looked strong. They came out hard, and they just played Alabama football."

Hayes also plans to return for UA's next home game against Vanderbilt.

Notes

As mentioned earlier, Daphne linebacker Ryan Anderson brought an unexpected visitor with him for the game on Saturday as Rivals 100 running back T.J. Yeldon made the trip with his friend. Yeldon is currently committed to Auburn. Anderson's cousin and teammate Torren McGaster also tagged along with the group.

Alabama commitments Brandon Greene and Kenyan Drake had both talked about coming to the game but neither was able to make it. Greene got back late from his game on Friday night, and Drake had test prep classes for the ACT on Saturday morning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Outrageous" Atmosphere Wows Jenkins

Greg Ostendorf
TideSports.com Recruiting Analyst
The Alabama defense hounded Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson throughout Saturday's 38-14 win, but Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban wouldn't have minded having top recruit Jordan Jenkins in there as well to help with the pass rush.

At least that's what the UA coach told Jenkins before the game.

"I talked to Coach Saban for a little while, and he said some great things," Jenkins said. "He said he wished that he could have me out there doing some pass rushing that night and hoped that I came there. That made me feel pretty darn good."

Jenkins, from Hamilton, Ga. although he was born in Washington, drove over to Tuscaloosa with his father and a couple of his teammates on Saturday. The Rivals 100 prospect had already been to five or six Alabama games, but this may have been the loudest one he had attended.

"It was a loud, loud game," Jenkins said. "It was just an outrageous atmosphere. After every first down when everybody started screaming 'Roll Tide,' it was almost at the point where it was starting to hurt your eardrum."

At Harris County High School, Jenkins plays primarily along the defensive line at defensive end, but at 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, the UA coaching staff likes him as a Jack linebacker position at the next level.

Knowing that, Jenkins watched the Crimson Tide linebacking corps closely, keeping a close eye on the Jack position.

"I saw some great things come out of (Courtney) Upshaw and (Dont'a) Hightower," Jenkins said. "I saw them squeeze down, make some plays inside and also drop back to cover a couple of receivers. They made some key impact plays."

Before the game, he hung out with a couple of other players from his home state, including the Buford duo, Dillon Lee and Kurt Freitag, and 2013 commitment Reuben Foster from LaGrange, Ga.

"I shook hands and said hello to Dillon Lee and Kurt Freitag," Jenkins said. "I met with Reuben (Foster) because we always meet up with each other anytime we go somewhere. We had a good time together. He's always saying something, telling me to come down."

This was Jenkins' second unofficial visit of the season. He's scheduled to return to Tuscaloosa when Alabama plays LSU for his official visit, but he will get to see the Crimson Tide in action again next week when he travels to Florida for an unofficial visit.

Next week's game features his top two schools.

"I can't wait," Jenkins said. "I hope it's going to be a pretty good game. I went to it last year when it was at Alabama, and I thought it was going to be close but it was a blowout. This year it should be a lot closer because they're playing at The Swamp.

"Alabama and Florida are tied for one and two. I'm still going to wait and see how the game next week at Florida is going to be, and after that I think I'll be able to say which one's leading. After those two, it would be UGA, Auburn and Tennessee."

Jenkins plans to make a decision after his season, once he takes all of his official visits.