• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams to swipe LT Andrew Whitworth from Bengals

CIN probably knew this was a possibility, but fans can't be too thrilled.

Ogbuehi better grow a pair quick now that he's been moved back to LT.
At 36 years old they were sorta in the same boat that we are with Timmons. Quality starter in decline and not wanting to overpay. IMO the Bungals NEED to resign the younger Zietler now that Whitworth is gone. Losing all their vets on the O-line could be detrimental to the group's cohesiveness. Dalton could be eating rubber pellets all season long.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 36 years old they were sorta in the same boat that we are with Timmons. Quality starter in decline and not wanting to overpay. IMO the Bungals NEED to resign the younger Zietler now that Whitworth is gone. Losing all their vets on the O-line could be detrimental to the group's cohesiveness. Dalton could be eating rubber pellets all season long.

I think Whitworth would've taken less to stay if they had acted LY, but when you allow a guy to reach FA, you never know what can happen...especially with a LT.

At this point I agree...Zietler is a must or they might be in some trouble...imo they're already in some trouble if they think the guy that failed at RT will play better at LT.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connor Barwin now available. Could be the perfect fit for our Steelers!

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are in serious trouble. The offensive line was miserable last year WITH Whithworth and Zeitler..... Take away those two guys and you might have the makings of the worst group in the league. They were damn near the top just 2 or 3 seasons ago.

Talent that left the building in the last two offseasons -- Marvin Jones (Detroit), Mo Sanu (Atl), Tits McGee (Minny), Zeitler (Cleveland), and Whit (Rams)..... That's almost 50% of your offense. Given that Jeremy Hill retired after his rookie year and Tyler Eifert wears pantsuits, I'm pretty sure this might be a bottom 10 offense. And that's with a top 10 QB and a top 5 WR.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are in serious trouble. The offensive line was miserable last year WITH Whithworth and Zeitler..... Take away those two guys and you might have the makings of the worst group in the league. They were damn near the top just 2 or 3 seasons ago.

Talent that left the building in the last two offseasons -- Marvin Jones (Detroit), Mo Sanu (Atl), Tits McGee (Minny), Zeitler (Cleveland), and Whit (Rams)..... That's almost 50% of your offense. Given that Jeremy Hill retired after his rookie year and Tyler Eifert wears pantsuits, I'm pretty sure this might be a bottom 10 offense. And that's with a top 10 QB and a top 5 WR.
Wow I cannot believe both Whit & Zeit walked... Bengals are in some serious trouble on the O-line. Dalton will be lucky if he can find the time to get the ball out to Green.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In this day in age you see it a lot more...but Gs making $10 mil + is not a good recipe for success. Zietler imo is better than DeCastro certainly equal to, but that's a hard number to match...the one I thought they would keep was Whit.

Losing both is a big blow.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far...in the DIV the teams that needed to make the most noise in FA are doing it...both PIT and CIN are going the other way...losing key players.

The old saying that the teams that win in free agency don't win in JAN is getting out dated a bit imo...the draft is still key to long term success, but you can't afford to miss on players with that strategy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far...in the DIV the teams that needed to make the most noise in FA are doing it...both PIT and CIN are going the other way...losing key players.

The old saying that the teams that win in free agency don't win in JAN is getting out dated a bit imo...the draft is still key to long term success, but you can't afford to miss on players with that strategy.
If the Steelers can draft like they did last year then they could be locked & loaded on defense for years to come. But that's a huge gamble. We certainly know the risks considering the likes of Cam Heyward & Bud Dupree, to Ziggy Hood & Jarvis Jones. I expect to see a few FAs come in to provide some insurance at positions of weakness.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Steelers can draft like they did last year then they could be locked & loaded on defense for years to come. But that's a huge gamble. We certainly know the risks considering the likes of Cam Heyward & Bud Dupree, to Ziggy Hood & Jarvis Jones. I expect to see a few FAs come in to provide some insurance at positions of weakness.

I'm more comfortable thinking they will come thru with a DB via FA or the draft. I'm holding out hope they can find the edge guy. This regime has not shown they can deliver in that area. This draft is supposed to be deep with that kind of talent so let's see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the hits keep comin... Not even sure we'll recognize the 2017 Bengals lol

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns free agency recap through two days --
ARRIVALS: WR Kenny Britt, OL J.C. Tretter, OG Kevin Zeitler, QB Brock Osweiler (via trade).
DEPARTURES: WR Terrelle Pryor (Washington), QB Robert Griffin III (released), S Jordan Poyer (Buffalo).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns free agency recap through two days --
ARRIVALS: WR Kenny Britt, OL J.C. Tretter, OG Kevin Zeitler, QB Brock Osweiler (via trade).
DEPARTURES: WR Terrelle Pryor (Washington), QB Robert Griffin III (released), S Jordan Poyer (Buffalo).

Not sure why they didn't spend the money on Pryor...Britt is a vet presence that should complement Coleman well...word is they probably will cut Os...we know they can afford the dead money cap hit. So far, building the OL with vets has been the smartest investment they could make imo.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why they didn't spend the money on Pryor...Britt is a vet presence that should complement Coleman well...word is they probably will cut Os...we know they can afford the dead money cap hit. So far, building the OL with vets has been the smartest investment they could make imo.
Heard that as well on Os. Given their uncertainty at the position (RG3 released) I'm not sure they can make that move just yet. Heard they are still throwing trade offers for Garropolo, so maybe after that happens they can cut him loose. And I agree on the O-line moves. But $60mil for Zeit! DAMN! DeCastro got $58m?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that as well on Os. Given their uncertainty at the position (RG3 released) I'm not sure they can make that move just yet. Heard they are still throwing trade offers for Garropolo, so maybe after that happens they can cut him loose. And I agree on the O-line moves. But $60mil for Zeit! DAMN!

He mostly sucked, but personally I think Os got a raw deal in HOU...the guy had a total of 7 NFL starts when they gave him the big money contract....new OC, new system, new team mates and it seems like they expected him to play like a guy with 50 starts under his belt.

Hue might be wise to keep him...imo Jimmy G is not going to be a great QB...on the Pats with a system he knew, yes, he played well, but in CLE he's going to struggle...maybe 33rd pick I would do, but no more than that. I think he's on his last yr as well...I would wait and let NE come back to me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that as well on Os. Given their uncertainty at the position (RG3 released) I'm not sure they can make that move just yet. Heard they are still throwing trade offers for Garropolo, so maybe after that happens they can cut him loose. And I agree on the O-line moves. But $60mil for Zeit! DAMN! DeCastro got $58m?

Zeit...lotta jack there, CLE was going to have to over pay, but when you have $100 mil to work with...they had it burn.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeit...lotta jack there, CLE was going to have to over pay, but when you have $100 mil to work with...they had it burn.
Truth. Makes me wonder about the Bengals. IIRC Whitworth had voiced his displeasure about the direction of the team at some point. And seein how Zeit went after the money to none other than Cleveland, which is an interesting career choice regardless of the $, makes me think the Bengals are in for a sharp decline.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
l4L9oaT.png

lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth. Makes me wonder about the Bengals. IIRC Whitworth had voiced his displeasure about the direction of the team at some point. And seein how Zeit went after the money to none other than Cleveland, which is an interesting career choice regardless of the $, makes me think the Bengals are in for a sharp decline.

They seemed to have a transition plan in place for the OL, in '15 they took two OTs 1st and 2nd rd...then took a G in the 5th LY...but those guys have not turned out to be ready to play...at least not as of the 2016 season.

They have a top 10 pick, but I'm not sure if there is a top 10 talent at OL this yr...regardless, they will probably play some young guys this season and if they're still not ready to play...I can see them struggling more than they have in a while next season, but still a lot of OFC talent...I don't see them being down long if they struggle in '17.

On the flip side, there are some guys out there in FA that could help short term if they so choose.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think there is much of a mutiny here..... Both guys clearly took a payday. If you're fed up with bullshit and shenanigans within a franchise, you don't relocate to Cleveland or LA! FWIW, both guys were pretty classy on their way out the door - Not that it matters because they no longer can help!

Peko is gone, but I don't think they really made him a serious offer to stay. They really want to get younger on the D-line and they have a few promising guys (Billings and Hardison) that haven't gotten their shot yet. Peko was a 'leader' for the D - But his 'leadership' didn't really keep Tez or Jones under control..... And he wasn't much of a DT anymore. I don't think they'll miss him much.

This will be a different Bengals team..... I see them going one of two ways..... They could be like the 2009 team and pull a rabbit out of their hat and sneak into the playoffs, while saving Marvin's job and his reputation (I think Marvin was COY in 2009 because everyone expected we'd be terrible). Or, they completely implode behind an awful line and no leadership.... Marvin finally hits the road. I'm actually not sure what I want more.