• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are there too many divisions in the NFL?

Are there too many divisions in the NFL?

• Total voters

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread would of been better in the off season, when topics were hard to come by. We all know these changes proposed are never going happen and we got some real football going on to talk about.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most divisions have fluctuation and competitive balance, but we could call this the "Patriot" change, cause it's a bit silly that you can pencil them into the SB almost every season because the Dolphins/Jets and Bills are their main competition

as has been mentioned many times before, new england has dominated the entire league for many seasons now, not just the AFC east. seriously doubt it would make much of a difference. maybe 3 or 4 superbowls instead of 5 while kicking everyone's ass, whatever

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted no, but in the interest of full disclosure, I've been drinking

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the existing divisional alignment and schedule format. However, there are three changes I would like to see:

• Divisional winners get an automatic playoff bid, but not an automatic home game. Seed 1-6 by overall record. If the Seahawks win the NFC West with a 7-9 record, it's lame they get to host the 11-5 Saints.
  • Replace the 4th preseason game with a 17th regular season neutral site game against a non-conference opponent. That way, the NFL could still have a presence in places like London and Mexico City without teams losing a home game and would allow expanded presence to other foreign cities.
  • Preseason week 1 should be played at neutral site university stadiums. Universities can bid to host games once the matchups are decided. Win for the universities (revenue, exposure, local fans), win for the NFL (revenue & exposure), win for the NFL players who are from the area or attended the university, win for NFL season ticket holders (have one less preseason game to pay full price for).
I agree with your 2nd and 3rd bullets but disagree with the first.
A teams first goal is to win the division, thereby getting a home playoff game. This perpetuates the rivalries. If a division winner is so weak, then they should lose the home playoff game. Otherwise, BeastQuake would have never happened and that was a fun game to watch unless you root for NO. Every loves the underdog.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread would of been better in the off season, when topics were hard to come by. We all know these changes proposed are never going happen and we got some real football going on to talk about.
Even in the off season, I'd call this a dumb idea.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as has been mentioned many times before, new england has dominated the entire league for many seasons now, not just the AFC east. seriously doubt it would make much of a difference. maybe 3 or 4 superbowls instead of 5 while kicking everyone's ass, whatever
Quiet, someare afraid to acknowledge that teams success.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in the off season, I'd call this a dumb idea.

Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel, they all think it's brilliant. Off season I could understand, still dumb, but off season is mostly about dumb stuff.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No divisions, just 2 16 team conferences. Top 8 make playoffs and no bye weeks.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather there be 32 divisions with one team in each.

Maybe then the Lions could actually win a divisional title.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your 2nd and 3rd bullets but disagree with the first.
A teams first goal is to win the division, thereby getting a home playoff game. This perpetuates the rivalries. If a division winner is so weak, then they should lose the home playoff game. Otherwise, BeastQuake would have never happened and that was a fun game to watch unless you root for NO. Every loves the underdog.

In that BeastQuake season (2010), the Seahawks won their pathetic division with a 7-9 record while two teams with 10-6 records (Giants & Bucs) watched the playoffs on TV. Getting the automatic playoff qualifier for beating out three other crap teams is reward enough; getting rewarded a home game on top of that is excessive.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think...if there were 30 teams instead of 32 we'd have 6 divisions. It's funny to think since there's 2 more teams there are 2 more divisions.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the existing divisional alignment and schedule format. However, there are three changes I would like to see:

• Divisional winners get an automatic playoff bid, but not an automatic home game. Seed 1-6 by overall record. If the Seahawks win the NFC West with a 7-9 record, it's lame they get to host the 11-5 Saints.
  • Replace the 4th preseason game with a 17th regular season neutral site game against a non-conference opponent. That way, the NFL could still have a presence in places like London and Mexico City without teams losing a home game and would allow expanded presence to other foreign cities.
  • Preseason week 1 should be played at neutral site university stadiums. Universities can bid to host games once the matchups are decided. Win for the universities (revenue, exposure, local fans), win for the NFL (revenue & exposure), win for the NFL players who are from the area or attended the university, win for NFL season ticket holders (have one less preseason game to pay full price for).

I like these changes, but I'm not sure if I would do them.

DIV winner...if you take away the home game for the winner the DIV title has significantly less incentive. It does suck to have those matchups you spoke of...maybe a 9 win minimum to host a playoff game for a DIV winner...idk...most likely that team with the terrible DIV winning record loses in the 1st round...they just don't have to travel.

17th reg season game...I'm really for leaving the 16 alone, but I like moving the preseason games around and ...IMO this Euro / Mexico travel game is good and for teams that don't mind giving up a home game, I'm sure they can sell travel pkgs to their season ticket holders and have some fun with the game.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DIV winner...if you take away the home game for the winner the DIV title has significantly less incentive. It does suck to have those matchups you spoke of...maybe a 9 win minimum to host a playoff game for a DIV winner...idk...most likely that team with the terrible DIV winning record loses in the 1st round...they just don't have to travel.

17th reg season game...I'm really for leaving the 16 alone, but I like moving the preseason games around and ...IMO this Euro / Mexico travel game is good and for teams that don't mind giving up a home game, I'm sure they can sell travel pkgs to their season ticket holders and have some fun with the game.

I also like a 16-game season; however, I HATE the idea of expanding the NFL beyond 32 teams. There's been quite a bit of chatter about expansion for several years and I expect it will only intensify as the NFL pushes for further global exposure. Pushing the schedule to 17 games with that extra game played at a neutral site would be an ideal alternative to expansion.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have 16 divisions of 2 teams each. Talk about some motherfucking rivalries!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like a 16-game season; however, I HATE the idea of expanding the NFL beyond 32 teams. There's been quite a bit of chatter about expansion for several years and I expect it will only intensify as the NFL pushes for further global exposure. Pushing the schedule to 17 games with that extra game played at a neutral site would be an ideal alternative to expansion.

The NFL...you wonder if they're just throwing shit on the wall to see what will stick when it comes to growing revenue....18 reg games, another round of playoffs, additional teams.

I get trying to grow the brand in other countries for TV revenue, but permanent teams in London or Mexico City I think are logistic nightmares for those teams.

Stateside, there are a handful of cities that could support NFL football, but they would be diluting existing fan bases...San Antonio, Portland are two names that come up. On one hand I don't blame the owners for continuously looking at ways to grow revenue but right now I'm not sure if I would touch the number of games.

Adding individual or team packages for out of market PPV games, would take some biz from Sun Tkt, but they would gain back former Tkt subscribers like me.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting note: Since 2002 division realignment, there have been 20 games where the wild card winner with the better record had to go on the road to face a division winner. The division winners are 12-8 in those games.

2016: 2-0 (Texans and Packers over Raiders and Giants)
2015: 0-2 (Texans and Redskins over Chiefs and Packers)
2014: 1-0 (Panthers over Cardinals)
2013: 0-1 (49ers over Packers)
2012: 1-1 (Ravens and Seahawks over Colts and Redskins)
2011: 2-0 (Broncos and Giants over Steelers and Falcons)
2010: 1-1 (Ravens and Seahawks over Chiefs and Saints)'
2009: 1-0 (Cardinals over Packers)
2008: 2-0 (Chargers and Cardinals over Colts and Falcons)
2007: 0-2 (Jaguars and Giants over Steelers and Buccaneers)
2005: 1-0 (Patriots over Jaguars)
2003: 0-1 (Titans over Ravens)
2002: 1-0 (Jets over Colts)

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand your love of the Pats and could appreciate it, so I wouldnt expect you to agree that it is a serious problem that most teams could start 0-2 and start worrying about their postseason chances, and the Pats could start 0-7 and still win the AFC East

Howevah, how the Pats play against the rest of the league is not evidence that they would fare as well, that they would be guaranteed Homefield advantage every single season, if they had to deal with the weekly grind of a tough division, rather than having 5 or 6 virtual bye weeks....There is a trickle effect of when you barely break a sweat within your division, how well and how fresh you can be against other opponents, in comparison to other teams

Thanks for your time

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your love of the Pats and could appreciate it, so I wouldnt expect you to agree that it is a serious problem that most teams could start 0-2 and start worrying about their postseason chances, and the Pats could start 0-7 and still win the AFC East

Howevah, how the Pats play against the rest of the league is not evidence that they would fare as well, that they would be guaranteed Homefield advantage every single season, if they had to deal with the weekly grind of a tough division, rather than having 5 or 6 virtual bye weeks....There is a trickle effect of when you barely break a sweat within your division, how well and how fresh you can be against other opponents, in comparison to other teams

Thanks for your time

oh my GOD shut the fuck up already, you hate the pats and obsess over them, we get it.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh my GOD shut the fuck up already, you hate the pats and obsess over them, we get it.

Bitch, suck a bag of dicks, i just broke down the real deal for ya

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for your time
Didn't read.