• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

...and then Hoover drops this bomb

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but they did upgrade the facilities, and Seaton hall was opened. So what's his point?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am calling BS on this excuse for losing 5 football games this year. And it's not affecting recruiting. Losing is affecting recruiting. Poor coaching is affecting recruiting. Here's a link for anyone who wants to see what facilities Oklahoma has for their sports teams.

Oklahoma Athletics Facilities - Oklahoma Sooners

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU doesn't have the same talent as other schools. Look at the NFL draft. They have no bias. How many players from OU get drafted and how many make teams and make an impact? Not many. The reason the SEC has kicked everyone's ass is because they have more talent. How many players from Ohio St and Oregon will end up in the NFL? There's a reason they along with Alabama and Florida St made the playoff.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU doesn't have the same talent as other schools. Look at the NFL draft. They have no bias. How many players from OU get drafted and how many make teams and make an impact? Not many. The reason the SEC has kicked everyone's ass is because they have more talent. How many players from Ohio St and Oregon will end up in the NFL? There's a reason they along with Alabama and Florida St made the playoff.

I just picked the four schools you mentioned.

Draft picks the last 4 years. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/
Oklahoma 21 (1 first rounder)
Alabama 30 (13 first rounders)
Florida State 25 (5 first rounders)
Ohio State 19 (3 first rounders)
Oregon 14 (2 first rounders)

Number of active NFL roster players. http://espn.go.com/nfl/college
Oklahoma 32
Alabama 42
Florida State 38
Ohio State 32
Oregon 30

Don't see much difference aside from Alabama talent level is just ridiculous.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been 5,114 days since we won our last National Championship on January 3, 2001. Hundreds of good and great players have played at OU over all the years since then and no more NC's? Even when we had the talent to win NC's we didn't do it. Now we can't even win a championship in a shitty Big XII. We lost 3 at home this year. We lost to Okie Jr. We got embarrassed again in a bowl game. I contend you will NEVER see Bob Stoops win another NC. If he couldn't do it with Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson on the same team then a lack of talent isn't the only problem OU has now or has had for a long time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been 5,114 days since we won our last National Championship on January 3, 2001. Hundreds of good and great players have played at OU over all the years since then and no more NC's? Even when we had the talent to win NC's we didn't do it. Now we can't even win a championship in a shitty Big XII. We lost 3 at home this year. We lost to Okie Jr. We got embarrassed again in a bowl game. I contend you will NEVER see Bob Stoops win another NC. If he couldn't do it with Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson on the same team then a lack of talent isn't the only problem OU has now or has had for a long time.

Bradford and Peterson on the same team? I don't recall that.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford and Peterson on the same team? I don't recall that.

LOL I left out the "if" part in the sentence. Was in a rush to get off the computer so I could take The Better Half out to dinner. But the point stands: Bob Stoops has had a ton of talent on his teams and failed to win NC's. Now that the talent levels are more even he's even less apt to win it all. The only hope is if he gets some 5* coaching to go along with some 5* players. Good catch, Romeo.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I left out the "if" part in the sentence. Was in a rush to get off the computer so I could take The Better Half out to dinner. But the point stands: Bob Stoops has had a ton of talent on his teams and failed to win NC's. Now that the talent levels are more even he's even less apt to win it all. The only hope is if he gets some 5* coaching to go along with some 5* players. Good catch, Romeo.

Unfortunately we had one 5* commit last year in Mixon, and 0 count em 0 so far this year.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a small quote from the Spencer Tillman interview.

“Bob’s problem is political and it’s practical because they’re not getting the best athletes because of it.”

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a small quote from the Spencer Tillman interview.

“Bob’s problem is political and it’s practical because they’re not getting the best athletes because of it.”

I can tell you from my personal experience that Spencer Tillman is a Class A person. Smart, kind and very considerate of other people's feelings. He used to come to my Oklahoma City office and hang around talking with my secretary and whoever else was there about a wide range of subjects (football, politics, life in general) and I would trust the guy with my last dollar. Stoops isn't recruiting well because of numerous reasons and one of them is his personality. The other is he's not a successful coach anymore. And the more recruits he misses out on the more it becomes a vicious cycle. If Spencer told me "hey, Goldbug, you've got to change if you want to start getting the best people" I'd listen to him.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately we had one 5* commit last year in Mixon, and 0 count em 0 so far this year.

Personally, I think we've focused too much on a recruit's "stars" and not enough on whether the kid is: actually talented, coachable and a fit with what OU needs.

It's been said hundreds of times that Stoops' better teams, and better players, were often kids that others ignored and OU brought in, coached up and those kids played their hearts out. Give me a Sam Bradford, three stars and ignored by everyone, over a highly ranked kid who comes in thinking the program needs to meet his needs.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think we've focused too much on a recruit's "stars" and not enough on whether the kid is: actually talented, coachable and a fit with what OU needs.

It's been said hundreds of times that Stoops' better teams, and better players, were often kids that others ignored and OU brought in, coached up and those kids played their hearts out. Give me a Sam Bradford, three stars and ignored by everyone, over a highly ranked kid who comes in thinking the program needs to meet his needs.

Screw stars, I put more stock in size and speed, those can't be coached.

I agree 100% guys.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what Tillman was talking about is Joe C.'s recent comment in the OP's article about not relaxing the standards for athletes. Someone was complaining that at other schools, compliance departments wait until the last minute to report secondary violations while at OU, the compliance folks issue warnings to athletes and coaches all the time and keep a tight rein on any thing that might (or might not) be a violation.

Keeping control over the athletes, for me, is preferable to being a laughingstock like FSU. The excuses the program makes for their crab stealing wonder boy is an embarrassment.