• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC West teams: What makes a successful season?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As training camp heats up and preseason games are just days away optimism runs high across the league, the teams, and the fans. If you ask any player anywhere they'll tell you the Super Bowl is the goal. A lot of fans (not all, some are pretty jaded) will echo this. But let's face it: some teams are simply not Super Bowl contenders. Some are not even playoff contenders. Some will be doing well to avoid a losing season.

So as we look at the teams in the AFC West, what would you consider a successful season for them? What do you think their fans would consider a successful season?

My thoughts:

Broncos: Super Bowl win. While the expectations are not as high among sports media this year, many fans still see this team as a contender. A Super Bowl win is a tall order for any team, especially one that saw so much change this off season. Yet with Manning likely in his last year in the league the sense of "now or never" seems higher than the typical "wait and see" type honeymoon a popular coach like Kubiak typically gets. This team has been a contender since Manning arrived, and this year will be no different. And I have a feeling a lot of fans will settle for nothing less than a win in the big one or consider the season unsuccessful.

Chiefs: win a playoff game. I am guessing Chiefs fans would disagree. The Chiefs have a great defense and just enough pieces on offense to warrant a "why not us" mentality toward their team in 2015. Especially considering the way they hang onto beating both of last year's Super Bowl teams (as if that has any bearing on this year). But this is a team that has been in the Broncos shadow even after vast improvement from 2012 to 2013 and 2014. And it's fair to argue they are still somewhat limited offensively. A wild card spot with a road win would be a damn good season for the Chiefs. Assuming they exited in the divisional round, fans would feel an initial sting. But once the sting wore off my guess is many Chiefs fans would look at 2015 as a successful season if they finally snapped that playoff losing streak.

Chargers: Super Bowl run. First let me say I don't think the Chargers are the better team than the Chiefs. But given the uncertainty of the Chargers future in San Diego there is a bit of a dark cloud hanging over this team and it's half a dozen or so dedicated fans. Furthermore, this team has at least sniffed playoff success in recent years, unlike the Chiefs. I don't know if the future is as dire as some of the articles make it out to be, but nothing heals a wounded fan base like a Super Bowl run. My guess is the Chargers miss the playoffs entirely, but that some of their fans expect more. And if this is going to be the Chargers last year in San Diego fans probably will dismiss it as unsuccessful if it doesn't include at minimum an appearance in the Super Bowl.

Raiders: reach 9-7 in the regular season. Not "9-7 and in the playoffs." Just 9-7. As in the lowest w-l (no ties) record a team can have and still have a winning season. The truth is for most outsiders a 6-10 record would likely mean this team is much improved. But this is a team whose fans haven't seen a winning season since 2002. That's a lot of sling seasons with a couple 8-8 marks in there for good measure. These fans are tired of their team being perennial losers. While some will say right now "playoffs or bust" deep down they know the Raiders are not a playoff team. If this team reached 9-7 there would be a breath of life breathed into that fan base powerful enough to knock down that ____ hole of a stadium try play in.

What say you?

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid post!! The AFC West is better this year.. And you guys are the team to beat..

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, Idaho. The point was to convey that success is relative to expectations. I know the Raiders fans are as excited as they've been in a long time. I'd be curious to hear your expectations for the Raiders this year.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Raiders a successful season would be 8 and 8
For the Chiefs a deep playoff run
Denver = Manning staying healthy
San Diego = super bowl victory

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it really depends on what kind of success you've had recently. A team like the Raiders who had such a long playoff drought, would certainly be encouraged and hopeful for the future if they were to get that far. The other teams in that div have tasted the playoffs over the last few yrs and nothing short of a championship would be deemed a success for either of them. If your a new head coach and your team has experienced a lengthy playoff drought and you make it your first yr as their coach, then I suppose it could be looked as a " successful " season in that regard. But it's short lived if the expectations of that year are anything short of at least a trip to SB the following yr in this league. Seriously though, when's the last time you heard an owner/coach or player say " yeah well we're really just happy to get to the playoffs" or " Gosh we are just ecstatic to get over .500 this yr". It's SB or bust for all teams regardless unless your a fan that is happy to " kiss your sister" as they say. :)

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, Idaho. The point was to convey that success is relative to expectations. I know the Raiders fans are as excited as they've been in a long time. I'd be curious to hear your expectations for the Raiders this year.
Well I'm thinking around 9-7 or so.. But the NFL is crazy as Ya know man.. You just need to get hot at the right time.. You guys have a chance, but the legend needs to get hot at the right time..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Raiders a successful season would be 8 and 8
For the Chiefs a deep playoff run
Denver = Manning staying healthy
San Diego = super bowl victory

Not sure I agree on your thoughts about the Broncos here. While Manning staying healthy is important I would say Super Bowl run trumps Manning staying healthy. Now I guess you could argue the two are connected that without a healthy Manning the Broncos stand no chance at a Super Bowl but then you might as well put that for the rest of the teams as well that their starting QB stay healthy.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably add a few to these...

Chiefs--Beating the Broncos at least once this year (not exactly a successful season but so far in the Manning era have yet to accomplish this goal).
Oakland--I would consider it a huge success if they can rank anywhere above 20th in the league on either offense or defense considering they haven't done that in quite a while. Would show progress on the team even if the wins are not quite there. What I see with the Raiders is more talent this year but a lot of young players so you are going to see mistakes being made leading to some unfortunate losses. I don't think the win/loss total will be much better than the last couple of years but the play on the field will be.
San Diego--Not moving to Los Angeles. They have a very important season in my opinion ahead of them considering the city does not seem to support the team. Even when they were the tops in the AFC West they were still struggling to sell out the stadium. It is going to take a lot for them to convince the city to stay. I would also add for the Chargers that I am very interested to see how the whole anger some of your best players issue plays out. I mean Eric Weddle could honestly be a Bronco next year with how he is looking at this season.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree on your thoughts about the Broncos here. While Manning staying healthy is important I would say Super Bowl run trumps Manning staying healthy. Now I guess you could argue the two are connected that without a healthy Manning the Broncos stand no chance at a Super Bowl but then you might as well put that for the rest of the teams as well that their starting QB stay healthy.
That's what I meant about Manning staying healthy. I am a Packers fan and we are in the same boat with Rodgers. with him we are #1 Super Bowl contenders, without him, we are 8 and 8 at best. Good luck to you and the Broncos this season

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I meant about Manning staying healthy. I am a Packers fan and we are in the same boat with Rodgers. with him we are #1 Super Bowl contenders, without him, we are 8 and 8 at best. Good luck to you and the Broncos this season

After I typed it I all of a sudden realized what you meant but figured I had already typed it might as well hit post reply. Good luck to your team as well. I would love to see the old 1997 Super Bowl played out again with the Packers and Broncos. Of course need to keep it the same results :suds:

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After I typed it I all of a sudden realized what you meant but figured I had already typed it might as well hit post reply. Good luck to your team as well. I would love to see the old 1997 Super Bowl played out again with the Packers and Broncos. Of course need to keep it the same results :suds:
That would be a great Super Bowl. There would be comparisons to the 97 game. Of course the Packers would win this time. I don't see Manning doing a helicopter move!

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My AFC west

Denver:
SB Win
I think Denver's D needs to stay healthy and create turnovers and live up to their talent level in 15. If they do this I think even if no SB win its success on many levels.

KC
KC has to beat Denver
Playoff win

SD

Division win

Oak

8-8 in 15

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a few months and a season nearly in the books, this threat may be fun to revisit.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose it really depends on what kind of success you've had recently. A team like the Raiders who had such a long playoff drought, would certainly be encouraged and hopeful for the future if they were to get that far. The other teams in that div have tasted the playoffs over the last few yrs and nothing short of a championship would be deemed a success for either of them. If your a new head coach and your team has experienced a lengthy playoff drought and you make it your first yr as their coach, then I suppose it could be looked as a " successful " season in that regard. But it's short lived if the expectations of that year are anything short of at least a trip to SB the following yr in this league. Seriously though, when's the last time you heard an owner/coach or player say " yeah well we're really just happy to get to the playoffs" or " Gosh we are just ecstatic to get over .500 this yr". It's SB or bust for all teams regardless unless your a fan that is happy to " kiss your sister" as they say. :)
I'll just reiterate this :)

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My AFC west

Denver:
SB Win
I think Denver's D needs to stay healthy and create turnovers and live up to their talent level in 15. If they do this I think even if no SB win its success on many levels.

KC
KC has to beat Denver
Playoff win

SD

Division win

Oak

8-8 in 15
This was pretty good, Paul. Three of four AFC W teams had pretty successful years trending upwards. And in SD the coach almost lost his job due to being the one disappointment.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not realize Paul was so prescient = Epic Respect.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just bringing this thread in for a landing. The Broncos season: a resounding success!