• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adrian Peterson

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He scored a TD in his first playoff game, never scored another one in 5 more games. He gained more than 69 yards once in 6 games, 4.2 YPC and was a non factor in the passing game.

It isn't weird he finished second all time in yards, he was an excellent back and when your team is losing 27 - 10 late in the 4th quarter and you have 17 carries for 54 yards ripping a 40 yarder in garbage time sure does help.

This wasn't an attempt to rip Barry (I actually liked Barry quite a bit when he wasn't shredding the Vikings defense) rather an attempt to show what I consider hypocrisy in the fact people say AD wasn't a complete back and no way he's top 5 and yet Sanders who was less a complete back is top 3 no question.

The suspension did hurt the Vikes no question, that was fucked up no doubt about it!

AD never actually quit on his coaches, teammates, fans and city the way Barry did.

Yet after all this somehow Barry gets a pass...
Barry quit during the offseason. He didn't demand a trade or get all high and mighty. They signed Charlie fuckin Batch, he quit. He knew they couldn't win a SB with dude. I was crushed, don't get me wrong. Remember exactly where Inwas when my buddy told me over the CB. Lol. Yep, a CB radio was how I found out.

Hell, they made the playoffs and James Stewart picked up a 1000 yards the next season. An unexciting, short yardage, less than Barry ever got 1000 yards. But it still was a 1000 yards. That is one of those things that always gets me aboot Barry never having a line. He did, they were very good a couple Times. Not so much other years. But not horrible or anything.

Still don't know where you are getting the less of a complete back thing though. Most every stat is to Barry or essentially a push. And I'm not putting Barry in some elite pass catching RB category or anything. His rushing numbers are superior to pretty much everyone. (Tommy Vardell and Bobby Ross tried to ruin that.).

Brown
Walter (Whatever order one chooses)
Barry

The rest of the list.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry quit during the offseason. He didn't demand a trade or get all high and mighty. They signed Charlie fuckin Batch, he quit. He knew they couldn't win a SB with dude. I was crushed, don't get me wrong. Remember exactly where Inwas when my buddy told me over the CB. Lol. Yep, a CB radio was how I found out.

Hell, they made the playoffs and James Stewart picked up a 1000 yards the next season. An unexciting, short yardage, less than Barry ever got 1000 yards. But it still was a 1000 yards. That is one of those things that always gets me aboot Barry never having a line. He did, they were very good a couple Times. Not so much other years. But not horrible or anything.

Still don't know where you are getting the less of a complete back thing though. Most every stat is to Barry or essentially a push. And I'm not putting Barry in some elite pass catching RB category or anything. His rushing numbers are superior to pretty much everyone. (Tommy Vardell and Bobby Ross tried to ruin that.).

Brown
Barry

The rest of the list.

It was good talking with ya my friend, time for me to sleep, talk to ya soon...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A post without a single word, it's your best work to date!

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing about this is I would bet every one of you would put Barry Sanders top 5 yet you bash AD for not doing it all... Hilarious!

Also who gives a shit if he's not top 8 in rushing yards, Jim Brown isn't top 8 either are people who think he's top 5 delusional as well? Emmitt Smith has the most rushing yards of all time and he might not be top 10 of all time.

Your personal feelings on AD don't mean shit, he is top 5 all time! I would love to see some of you guys' top 5...

You keep missing the points, or your reading comprehension just sucks, one of the two. My point of bringing up how he'll be lucky to finish top 8 in rushing yards wasn't to say that that stat alome should be the judge of how good a player was. The point is that it's hard to argue that a one dimensional RB who was weak in all aspects of the game besides rushing out of the I-formation as "top 5" when he won't even make the top 8 in rushing yards. This isn't to mention the fact that he's only #16 in rushing yards currently, and it wouldn't be shocking if he didn't make it beyond his current spot given his injuries, limited recent production, and being reduced to a role player on his next team. It is very unlikely that he makes it beyond the top 10, and it will take mulitple decent seasons as a role player for him to make it to 10. As for the off-field and injury issues, you can hold those things against AP for its megative effects on the team just as much as you can hold Terrell Davis's injuries against him, which came off him having arguably the most dominant 3 year stretch ever for an RB.

AP is unquestionably a top 15 all-time RB. There's even a decent argument to be made that he's top 10. But aside from having another 1,500+ yard season coupled with more significant playoff contributions than he's had so far in his career, arguing that he's a top 5 RB in general is nothing more than homerism. Note that no one, including other Vikings fans have agreed with you on this ITT, or the Vikes Fans 2.0 thread. Sorry, AP was one of the greatest rushers to take the field in the NFL, but in no way is he a top 5 RB straight up. You complained that I was basing my judgements of AP's overall talent based on "personal feelings", but in reality, you are the one who has thrown all conventional logic out the window while clinging to personal homer feelings to argue him as top 5.

That's all there really is to say. If he were as great as you say he is, he'd have been picked up by a team by now. Meanwhile, he has visited and left 3 teams without (Seattle, New England, New Orleans) securing a deal yet, plus a 4th team in Oakland who decided to try to lure Marshawn Lynch out of retirement instead. That's just how it goes, man.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A post without a single word, it's your best work to date!

I was posting from mobile while trying to quote you, and the post got all jacked up when my browser decided to take a dump and crash. Due to the 5 minute time limit for editing posts and no option to delete posts (not that I could find anyway), I went back and manually deleted everything in the post except for a "." rather than leaving it an incoherent mess.

Do you really need to be a jacka.ss about everything just because no one joined you in a circle jerk worshipping Adrian Peterson as a top 5 GOAT back? When you act that way and continue to defy all logic, it's difficult to carry on a discussion with you, since all you do is get defensive and throw tantrums at every turn that doesn't go your way. I haven't insulted you once in these threads and have continued to be respectful towards you. You on the other hand, have mocked me multiple times now simply because I disagreed with you about AP, and for "not being a REAL Vikings fan for being disloyal towards AP" over a player who I promise you doesn't give a rat's ass about the Vikings as a franchise, let alone the individual fans.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep missing the points, or your reading comprehension just sucks, one of the two. My point of bringing up how he'll be lucky to finish top 8 in rushing yards wasn't to say that that stat alome should be the judge of how good a player was. The point is that it's hard to argue that a one dimensional RB who was weak in all aspects of the game besides rushing out of the I-formation as "top 5" when he won't even make the top 8 in rushing yards. This isn't to mention the fact that he's only #16 in rushing yards currently, and it wouldn't be shocking if he didn't make it beyond his current spot given his injuries, limited recent production, and being reduced to a role player on his next team. It is very unlikely that he makes it beyond the top 10, and it will take mulitple decent seasons as a role player for him to make it to 10. As for the off-field and injury issues, you can hold those things against AP for its megative effects on the team just as much as you can hold Terrell Davis's injuries against him, which came off him having arguably the most dominant 3 year stretch ever for an RB.

AP is unquestionably a top 15 all-time RB. There's even a decent argument to be made that he's top 10. But aside from having another 1,500+ yard season coupled with more significant playoff contributions than he's had so far in his career, arguing that he's a top 5 RB in general is nothing more than homerism. Note that no one, including other Vikings fans have agreed with you on this ITT, or the Vikes Fans 2.0 thread. Sorry, AP was one of the greatest rushers to take the field in the NFL, but in no way is he a top 5 RB straight up. You complained that I was basing my judgements of AP's overall talent based on "personal feelings", but in reality, you are the one who has thrown all conventional logic out the window while clinging to personal homer feelings to argue him as top 5.

That's all there really is to say. If he were as great as you say he is, he'd have been picked up by a team by now. Meanwhile, he has visited and left 3 teams without (Seattle, New England, New Orleans) securing a deal yet, plus a 4th team in Oakland who decided to try to lure Marshawn Lynch out of retirement instead. That's just how it goes, man.

Just a couple things for you my friend...

Where would you rank Jim Brown and Barry Sanders?

Also, you do realize teams will want to wait until after the draft to sign AD...

Hope all is well...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was posting from mobile while trying to quote you, and the post got all jacked up when my browser decided to take a dump and crash. Due to the 5 minute time limit for editing posts and no option to delete posts (not that I could find anyway), I went back and manually deleted everything in the post except for a "." rather than leaving it an incoherent mess.

Do you really need to be a jacka.ss about everything just because no one joined you in a circle jerk worshipping Adrian Peterson as a top 5 GOAT back? When you act that way and continue to defy all logic, it's difficult to carry on a discussion with you, since all you do is get defensive and throw tantrums at every turn that doesn't go your way. I haven't insulted you once in these threads and have continued to be respectful towards you. You on the other hand, have mocked me multiple times now simply because I disagreed with you about AP, and for "not being a REAL Vikings fan for being disloyal towards AP" over a player who I promise you doesn't give a rat's ass about the Vikings as a franchise, let alone the individual fans.

Ummm, now who needs a chill pill? lolzzz

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a couple things for you my friend...

Where would you rank Jim Brown and Barry Sanders?

Also, you do realize teams will want to wait until after the draft to sign AD...

Hope all is well...

Yeah, I know teams are at the point of waiting until the draft is over before they make a move on AP. In fact, there's a solid chance he won't get signed until a preseason injury or something along those lines occurs. My point in the fact that he hasn't been picked up yet is that clearly, there aren't any teams who view him as a starting caliber back right now, or even feel sure he'd be their best option as a backup role player. And it remains to be seen how well he'd perform as a role player, as AP has always thrived off getting tons of carries to wear defenses down before he really starts doing damage on them, and takes a few games to hit his groove. So I doubt he climbs all that much further up the all-time rushing yardage ranks at this point.

As far as where I'd put guys like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders goes, I don't think there's any exact list of a "top 5" or "top 10" players at any given position. There are cases to be made for a player falling within a certain range, or thereabouts, on a case by case basis. As far as Barry compared to AP goes, Barry had 15 lost fumbles in his career to AP's 23, and 2,921 yards with 10 TD's to AP's 1,945 yards with 5 TD's. Barry wasn't as one dimensional as AP given that he was a pretty decent receiver and AP sucked at it. Jim Brown had 2,499 yards and 20 TDs receiving. Both Sanders and Brown contributed as much as AP to the rushing game while also being much better receivers than him, so I say both guys are ahead of him.

My top 5, in no particular order - Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Ladanian Thomlinson, Marshall Faulk. I base this on how well they performed all things considered (injuries, off field issues that kept them off the field like AP in 2014, and the passing game), not just how they performed as rushers. Solid arguments could be made to swap in Jim Brown or Emmit Smith in favor of one of the two I listed in my 5. Again, I'd argue that AP is as good as being somewhere in the top 10, but a comibation of being too one dimensional, injury prone, the suspension that kept him out for almost a full season, and fumbling playoff games away make it impossible for me to call him top 5.

Remember the NFC title game when Reggie Bush fumbled a punt return at the Saint's 2 yard line right before the half, and AP had a chance to score an easy TD to put them up by 7, but he fumbled it right back? Or fumbling in the home playoff game against Seattle, leading to their go ahead TD that cost the Vikes the game just as much as Walsh's choking on the last second chip shot FG? Story of AP's career summed up in those two moments.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know teams are at the point of waiting until the draft is over before they make a move on AP. In fact, there's a solid chance he won't get signed until a preseason injury or something along those lines occurs. My point in the fact that he hasn't been picked up yet is that clearly, there aren't any teams who view him as a starting caliber back right now, or even feel sure he'd be their best option as a backup role player. And it remains to be seen how well he'd perform as a role player, as AP has always thrived off getting tons of carries to wear defenses down before he really starts doing damage on them, and takes a few games to hit his groove. So I doubt he climbs all that much further up the all-time rushing yardage ranks at this point.

As far as where I'd put guys like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders goes, I don't think there's any exact list of a "top 5" or "top 10" players at any given position. There are cases to be made for a player falling within a certain range, or thereabouts, on a case by case basis. As far as Barry compared to AP goes, Barry had 15 lost fumbles in his career to AP's 23, and 2,921 yards with 10 TD's to AP's 1,945 yards with 5 TD's. Barry wasn't as one dimensional as AP given that he was a pretty decent receiver and AP sucked at it. Jim Brown had 2,499 yards and 20 TDs receiving. Both Sanders and Brown contributed as much as AP to the rushing game while also being much better receivers than him, so I say both guys are ahead of him.

My top 5, in no particular order - Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Ladanian Thomlinson, Marshall Faulk. I base this on how well they performed all things considered (injuries, off field issues that kept them off the field like AP in 2014, and the passing game), not just how they performed as rushers. Solid arguments could be made to swap in Jim Brown or Emmit Smith in favor of one of the two I listed in my 5. Again, I'd argue that AP is as good as being somewhere in the top 10, but a comibation of being too one dimensional, injury prone, the suspension that kept him out for almost a full season, and fumbling playoff games away make it impossible for me to call him top 5.

Remember the NFC title game when Reggie Bush fumbled a punt return at the Saint's 2 yard line right before the half, and AP had a chance to score an easy TD to put them up by 7, but he fumbled it right back? Or fumbling in the home playoff game against Seattle, leading to their go ahead TD that cost the Vikes the game just as much as Walsh's choking on the last second chip shot FG? Story of AP's career summed up in those two moments.

Did your parents have any children that lived?

Let me break down a few things since you are really fucking stupid.

You say Sanders wasn't as one dimensional and that AD sucked in the passing game.

Sanders started 151 games and had 352 receptions or an average of 2.33 receptions per game.

Peterson started 116 games and had 241 receptions or an average of 2.07 receptions per game.

Wow you are right Sanders was way better, fucking idiot!

Most backs who are known for their quickness and ability to make people miss should be better in the receiving game, most power backs are not known for their ability as a receiver but as you can see it was still very close.

Why are you using lost fumbles? Oh I know why, you like Cherry picking stats to try to make yourself seem less fucking stupid than you really are.

Barry Sanders fumbled the ball once every 83 times he had it in his hands.
Adrian Peterson fumbled the ball once every 68 times he had it in his hands.

Now you are really smart so of course you understand that Sanders game revolved around making people miss while AD's game was a power game running through people so it would only make sense that the player who invites contact is more likely to lose the ball than someone whos game is avoiding contact.

Funniest part of this is I would be willing to wager you don't even remember watching Barry play you just use other peoples opinions to form your own...

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You say Sanders wasn't as one dimensional and that AD sucked in the passing game.

Sanders started 151 games and had 352 receptions or an average of 2.33 receptions per game.

Peterson started 116 games and had 241 receptions or an average of 2.07 receptions per game.

Most backs who are known for their quickness and ability to make people miss should be better in the receiving game, most power backs are not known for their ability as a receiver but as you can see it was still very close.

Why are you using lost fumbles? Oh I know why, you like Cherry picking stats to try to make yourself seem less fucking stupid than you really are.

Now you are really smart so of course you understand that Sanders game revolved around making people miss while AD's game was a power game running through people so it would only make sense that the player who invites contact is more likely to lose the ball than someone whos game is avoiding contact.

Funniest part of this is I would be willing to wager you don't even remember watching Barry play you just use other peoples opinions to form your own...

You sound like a 14 year old reddit kid who can't stop crying just because someone disagrees with his opinion about a football player.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brown
Barry

The rest of the list.

People just assume Barry didn't have a line because they just think "oh, the Lions sucked". Well, the Bears just went 3-13, despite having a very good run blocking line and Howard averaging more YPC than anyone in the league. You can suck and still have a good line.

Barry's teams may have been inadequate at QB, and other areas. However, his line was more than serviceable a good chunk of the time. He did have a few poor ones, but no more than Payton did from 75 through 83, when the team finally started kicking into gear. People forget that he was 30+ by the time they actually got good in 84.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

facepalm-demotivational.jpg

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like a 14 year old reddit kid who can't stop crying just because someone disagrees with his opinion about a football player.

What makes this funny is you are obviously a kid and i'm not sure how I come off as crying, I simply pointed out how wrong you are, it really doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. Maybe at some point we can let this go and just worry about the upcoming season...

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes this funny is you are obviously a kid and i'm not sure how I come off as crying, I simply pointed out how wrong you are, it really doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. Maybe at some point we can let this go and just worry about the upcoming season...

I'm not a kid, breh. It baffles me that you have resorted to insults like 4 or so times now when I've maintained a pretty respectful approach to the discussion. I tend to expect that type of crap to be more prevalent on places like reddit or the bodybuilding.com misc forum than here, but so it goes. I'm not going to stay hung up on it. As I've said before, I think you're a pretty good poster and always got along with you since I started posting. A simple disagreement over AP isn't going to make me think otherwise or call you stupid.

I have still said I'd probably consider him top 10, and probably closer to top 5 than some people would give him credit for. That's not the same as me saying he's been so massively overrated in his career that he isn't even top 20 or some crap. I'm still acknowledging that he is an all-time great, and one of the best at the position. I'd even argue that there's a solid case to be made that he might be the absolute GOAT traditional style. I simply don't feel that he's top 5 all around. So I'm not strongly disagreeing with your position.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a kid, breh. It baffles me that you have resorted to insults like 4 or so times now when I've maintained a pretty respectful approach to the discussion. I tend to expect that type of crap to be more prevalent on places like reddit or the bodybuilding.com misc forum than here, but so it goes. I'm not going to stay hung up on it. As I've said before, I think you're a pretty good poster and always got along with you since I started posting. A simple disagreement over AP isn't going to make me think otherwise or call you stupid.

I have still said I'd probably consider him top 10, and probably closer to top 5 than some people would give him credit for. That's not the same as me saying he's been so massively overrated in his career that he isn't even top 20 or some crap. I'm still acknowledging that he is an all-time great, and one of the best at the position. I'd even argue that there's a solid case to be made that he might be the absolute GOAT traditional style. I simply don't feel that he's top 5 all around. So I'm not strongly disagreeing with your position.

You have been insulting but I don't care, I don't know you and I don't hold grudges.

For what it's worth I honestly don't have a problem with people thinking AD isn't top five. I have watched the best running backs who have ever played aside from Jim Brown and I can't absolutely name 5 I would say are better. I might be an ass hole but I laugh at all the love Barry Sanders gets. We can just disagree about this but he was less a complete back than AD, AD never came out of the game in short yardage or goal line situations. AD even for a big back was just as effective out of the backfield catching the ball, Barry didn't block either. But no big deal. I swear i'm not just a homer, Walter Payton is the best back of all time and IMO it's not close...

I still think you are a kid, maybe not 13 or 14 but I would be surprised if you weren't early 20's. But no hard feelings!

Oh and I don't think you had Eric Dickerson in your top 5, please go watch some video of him, he's top 5 I promise! lolzzz

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have been insulting but I don't care, I don't know you and I don't hold grudges.

For what it's worth I honestly don't have a problem with people thinking AD isn't top five. I have watched the best running backs who have ever played aside from Jim Brown and I can't absolutely name 5 I would say are better. I might be an ass hole but I laugh at all the love Barry Sanders gets. We can just disagree about this but he was less a complete back than AD, AD never came out of the game in short yardage or goal line situations. AD even for a big back was just as effective out of the backfield catching the ball, Barry didn't block either. But no big deal. I swear i'm not just a homer, Walter Payton is the best back of all time and IMO it's not close...

I still think you are a kid, maybe not 13 or 14 but I would be surprised if you weren't early 20's. But no hard feelings!

Oh and I don't think you had Eric Dickerson in your top 5, please go watch some video of him, he's top 5 I promise! lolzzz

I'm in my late 20's.

Like I've said, I don't think there's any real way to name an exact top 5, or top 10. One can argue their case for their exact personal placements of backs in that range, without sounding stupid in doing so. One thing that both Barry and AP have in their defense is that they both played for bad teams for most of their careers. I'd have been very curious to see what AP's career might have turned out like had the Vikings had at least average play at QB and better coaches than Chilly and Leslie Frazier for most of his prime. Similar arguments can be said for Barry. Part of me thinks AP would have ended up being inarguably a top 3 all-time back had he had QB play like 2009 Favre for most of his career, and started his career with a coach who wasn't such a buffoon like Chilly. It's unfortunate that we'll never know for sure what might have been regarding that.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in my late 20's.

Like I've said, I don't think there's any real way to name an exact top 5, or top 10. One can argue their case for their exact personal placements of backs in that range, without sounding stupid in doing so. One thing that both Barry and AP have in their defense is that they both played for bad teams for most of their careers. I'd have been very curious to see what AP's career might have turned out like had the Vikings had at least average play at QB and better coaches than Chilly and Leslie Frazier for most of his prime. Similar arguments can be said for Barry. Part of me thinks AP would have ended up being inarguably a top 3 all-time back had he had QB play like 2009 Favre for most of his career, and started his career with a coach who wasn't such a buffoon like Chilly. It's unfortunate that we'll never know for sure what might have been regarding that.

Barry didn't play for bad teams though, he had a pretty good offense around him for most of his time with the Lions. In 1995 Herman Moore and Brett Perriman were the first receiver teammates to each have 100 receptions in the same season.

I agree Childress and Frazier were terrible coaches. I guess after so many shit coaches maybe my judgement is clouded but I really like Zimmer.