• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A really nice article about our best QB...

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this article a while ago already........let me just say this....this is the type of stuff that makes Carl Pelini one of those guys who many schools are gonna be after before long.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee was after him last year already

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He didn't have great arm strength, he didn't have a real natural throwing motion, and when you looked at him actually start throwing next to these guys at the combine, you were like, ‘OK, this guy's an athlete.' He had the measureables testingwise."

Martinez then led Centennial to a 15-0 record and the state championship by throwing for 3,000 yards.

"But it was a lot of catch-and-run," Huffman said. "It was a lot of dump-offs, and then let the other guys do the rest of the work."

From his first start I felt he was a natural zone read QB. He has a great sell and as was said in the article he's an 'athlete'.
In recruiting Nebraska grades prospects in leadership ability where he's off the charts for a freshman. We've seen he doesn't possess NFL arm strength. Hopefully that will come along and Nebraska can be a deep threat eventually. They are going to need that when they come up against a team that can stuff anything w/in 15 yds of the line of scrimage.
In the mean time NU's rcvrs need to step up, be where they're supposed to be, catch the ball, and block, block, block when Martinez opts to take off.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way he sells the zone-read is pretty impressive.........I said on Thursday that I don't think I've ever seen a QB sell it that good, and now that I'm sober I still feel the same way.

It's impressive when a Freshman understands how to sell it like that........most young guys would be more worried about just taking off and running........he understands that it's all about setting up the defense first.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this article a while ago already........let me just say this....this is the type of stuff that makes Carl Pelini one of those guys who many schools are gonna be after before long.

I don't think Carl Pelini would take a lateral D Coordinator job for money. It would have to be a head coaching position.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Carl Pelini would take a lateral D Coordinator job for money. It would have to be a head coaching position.

Yea that is exactly what I'm referring too.........and articles like this one just show how Carl is smart enough (even as a defensive minded coach) to find a guy like Taylor Martinez to play QB.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that is exactly what I'm referring too.........and articles like this one just show how Carl is smart enough (even as a defensive minded coach) to find a guy like Taylor Martinez to play QB.

Even Carl had him charted as an 'athlete' though. Martinez was told he could compete for the QB job. Credit Carl for landing the kid, credit the evaluation for actually keeping him a QB. I guess I have to rep Watson finally. He's the OC/QB coach.

HuskerFan8807

HUGE member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
great article, i didnt know carl knew anything about offense!
i mean he is all defense, he doesnt spend the entire week trying to figure out how to stop an Offense, so y would he know a great athlete when he sees one.

Y is anyone shocked that a defensive coach could find a great offensive player, its no shock to me, good for carl, good for wats!

the best part of the article was the end when, watson said, " as long as he stays humble, and he will, thats just who he is" watson is correct with he needs to stay humble, i just hope he can!

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's time that I tell you guys.................I am the one who found Taylor Martinez

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you drunk or sober when you found him? :rolleyes:

I was sober, but he was SOOO drunk........he's actually come a long ways over the past couple years.

This is what he looked like then....

alcoholic.jpg