• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #6 Notre Dame @ #12 Clemson - 8 pm ABC

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep complaining about this, but it was absolutely the correct call. It's just hindsight sour grapes.

Let's say Notre Dame kicks the extra point, then gets a field goal on the next drive. It's 21-13. They score the touchdown but miss the two point conversion. People would be angry that they kicked a worthless field goal when, had they gone for two earlier, they would have known it was worthless and gone for it on 4th Down. That situation was just as likely as what actually happened. And that's not even considering the impact on pacing.
100% wrong. no reason to go for 2. thats a fact. everybody has said it. kelly knows it.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not putting the blame on Kelly for this. Our offensive lineup waited for most of the entire game to show up and Kelly didn't fumble the ball numerous times or drop a bunch of catchable passes. I may not have liked the last play call but didn't think it was a terrible call either. I think Notre Dame did a lot of good things tonite. I'm impressed with Kizer too. I thought he played a really good game , especially considering it was his first road game at such a tough venue. Hat's off to Clemson.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im impressed with Kizer

Kizer played well and he is going to be a good QB, if he continues to play well Zaire will have his hands full keeping Kizer off the field.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson definitely deserves to be ranked in the Top 10 at the least but Top 5 at the most I guess, Notre Dame should still be ranked in the Top 10 though

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not putting the blame on Kelly for this. Our offensive lineup waited for most of the entire game to show up and Kelly didn't fumble the ball numerous times or drop a bunch of catchable passes. I may not have liked the last play call but didn't think it was a terrible call either. I think Notre Dame did a lot of good things tonite. I'm impressed with Kizer too. I thought he played a really good game , especially considering it was his first road game at such a tough venue. Hat's off to Clemson.

It's not entirely on Kelly but he knew the O-Line had struggled to move Clemson's D-Line on running plays so to make that call in that spot was a bad call. He didn't fumble for sure but it is what it is Clemson played a great game and so did Notre Dame. Hopefully both teams win out.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kizer shows off a pretty nice skill set, he stood in the pocket and stood tall and when he scrambled he kept his head up.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 turnovers and on the road and lose by 2. not horrible. oh yeah one of the toughest places to play.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and disagree. Kelly can't control turnovers. But the first decision to go for two was stupid. Down 21-3 "getting the conversion out of the way" shouldn't have been a concern. They burned a TO to do it and they could have used that to draw a better play at the end. I just think Kelly was thinking too far ahead.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kizer shows off a pretty nice skill set, he stood in the pocket and stood tall and when he scramble he kept his head up.
im impressed. he knows how to stay in a pocket. future is bright. kelly just cant screw us.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the weather played a huge role in the start of the game. The reason why Kelly stuck with the run so long. I think better weather would have favored Notre Dame's passing game.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% wrong. no reason to go for 2. thats a fact. everybody has said it. kelly knows it.

You can't quote a post that has a super-obvious reason to go for two and then say there is "no reason." Maybe you disagree, but there are at least three obvious reasons:

1. Allows you to understand whether a field goal is worthless or not if Clemson doesn't score.
2. Gives you a better picture of clock management, since you know exactly what you need to do.
3. Places faith in the defense and gives them extra motivation.

One can make a solid argument that those three reasons are outweighed by the potential field goal, but they definitely exist.

And for me personally, I would always want the early two. I don't like the idea of making your comeback plans on the assumption that you will be giving up points, since if they can't hold, you are unlikely to win anyways.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and disagree. Kelly can't control turnovers. But the first decision to go for two was stupid. Down 21-3 "getting the conversion out of the way" shouldn't have been a concern. They burned a TO to do it and they could have used that to draw a better play at the end. I just think Kelly was thinking too far ahead.
The timeout was a poor decision on Kizer's part. Being down that much made every time out precious.

nathans8823

Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the weather played a huge role in the start of the game. The reason why Kelly stuck with the run so long. I think better weather would have favored Notre Dame's passing game.
True, and Running Cause CJ Prosise fumbled twice 1 of them was severely crucial

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRs killed us with those drops then to begin the half with 2 turnovers was pretty bad.

It is what it is though. One game at a time. Can't look ahead at this point. Worry about Navy and go from there

nathans8823

Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Notre Dame has Navy then I think Bye Week next? or is it USC immediately after that?

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what anyone says, I'm proud of this team and the way they battled.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep complaining about this, but it was absolutely the correct call. It's just hindsight sour grapes.

Let's say Notre Dame kicks the extra point, then gets a field goal on the next drive. It's 21-13. They score the touchdown but miss the two point conversion. People would be angry that they kicked a worthless field goal when, had they gone for two earlier, they would have known it was worthless and gone for it on 4th Down. That situation was just as likely as what actually happened. And that's not even considering the impact on pacing.

going for 2 early in the 4th is fucking stupid in that situation. I said before they even ran the play. what made it even worse is they burned a fricken timeout. u take the 5 yd penalty, kick the xtra pt, and save the timeout. anyone defending Kelly for going for 2 early in quarter is either trolling or stupid. u don't chase points when u don't have to. we have been chasing pts all season because our coach loves to get cute. great coach sunday through Friday, great recruiter, and awful gameday coach. no, if, and or buts

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know Clemson will blow it down the road, but to whom?

NC St and Scar are my two guesses