• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 weeks in

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone in our secondary was as good as Jones we'd have only lost one game this year.

I am a big fan of Jones. He seems to get a ton of heat but he is being asked to do way too much. I know he has missed a tackle or two but he is a damn good player.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, this is a pile on t will thread.........:D

So far we have had several missed tackles this year that have been huge. B Jones was just one of them.

I'm not saying Jones is bad. I could have said Lee. Bottom line they all make mistakes. We have a tendency though to always notice Twill and Heath. The thing is we have 5-6 other WRs and 5-6 other DBs. Add about 5 more to each in training camp. These two though always find their way out there. They are out there for something.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to say Noah brown can be #2 next season. He is a ferocious blocker and I think he can make teams pay. I hope to see more of brown going forward. I also think it is time for Rico to make his debut. Rod Smith should be the second in line behind zeke.

Rico hasn't even started practicing.

Cowboys move Jarwin up from the practice squad as other teams were trying to grab him.

I have a feeling we won't be seeing Gathers this season. Right now he's #5 in the pecking order.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone in our secondary was as good as Jones we'd have only lost one game this year.

Jourdan Lewis, right now today is a better player than Jones, IMO. Lewis can actually make a play here and there. Jones is usually in the right area, but never makes the play. In 2.5 seasons, Jones has forced exactly 2 turnovers, and it's not like he even gets his hands on the ball a lot -- 21 defensed passes in 38 career games.

Jones is solid, but not nearly what I thought/hoped he could be. I used to think Pro-Bowl was a certainty for Jones, and maybe even ALL-PRO someday, but at this point I think we have to settle for slightly above average - which for the Cowboys is a drastic improvement at the Safety position.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jourdan Lewis, right now today is a better player than Jones, IMO. Lewis can actually make a play here and there. Jones is usually in the right area, but never makes the play. In 2.5 seasons, Jones has forced exactly 2 turnovers, and it's not like he even gets his hands on the ball a lot -- 21 defensed passes in 38 career games.

Jones is solid, but not nearly what I thought/hoped he could be. I used to think Pro-Bowl was a certainty for Jones, and maybe even ALL-PRO someday, but at this point I think we have to settle for slightly above average - which for the Cowboys is a drastic improvement at the Safety position.
Not even close to me. Lewis looks good and I love him so far even with the mistakes, but do you know how many times he has been badly, badly beat this year and for TDs? If Jones did that you guys would be calling for his head.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close to me. Lewis looks good and I love him so far even with the mistakes, but do you know how many times he has been badly, badly beat this year and for TDs? If Jones did that you guys would be calling for his head.

What? Jones gets beat all the time. Remember Green Bay in the playoffs? Jared Cook beat Jones like a drum all day. How about against Denver earlier this year? Jones, so far in his career, has been nothing special. I don't get the love affair at this point.

Is Jones a solid player? Sure. If you ask me, he's somewhere in that 10-20 range on the Safety totem poll. Not hurting the team, but nothing spectacular either.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Lewis has gotten beat less than Jones I'm just not sure how to even respond.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Lewis has gotten beat less than Jones I'm just not sure how to even respond.

I didn't say that. However, I'll live with a rookie who missed virtually all of preseason and has only played 5 games getting burned every once in a while. Jones gets beat plenty for a 3rd year man with his tools. Maybe not as often as Lewis to this point in the season, but Jones is not some shining example to point to. Byron is a decent player, but Lewis is going to be special. Jones is a phenomenal athlete playing football, and Lewis is a football player

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good matchup for both this weekend. Hopefully they will be on their A game

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going by what I see on the field, Lewis does such a better job of tracking the ball and finding it when it is in the air. Jones, while he is locked up in coverage (quite a bit) just stairs at the WRs face and seems to only throw his arms up when the receiver reacts to catch the ball. Jones never sees the ball when it is in the air -- he's a lot like Brandon Carr in this respect. As a result he rarely gets his hands on the ball, let alone being in position to intercept the pass. In 5 games Lewis has 5 passes defensed and 1 interception, and nearly another pick. Byron Jones through 6 games has 3 passes defensed and 0 interceptions. In 16 games last season, Jones had a total of 8 passes defensed and his first and only interception of his career. Not to mention tackling. Now Byron Jones is a reliable tackler, but I don't think I have seen Lewis miss a tackle yet. On the season Jones has 19 tackles in 6 games, and Lewis has 23 tackles in 5 games.

**Stats according to sports reference

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that. However, I'll live with a rookie who missed virtually all of preseason and has only played 5 games getting burned every once in a while. Jones gets beat plenty for a 3rd year man with his tools. Maybe not as often as Lewis to this point in the season, but Jones is not some shining example to point to. Byron is a decent player, but Lewis is going to be special. Jones is a phenomenal athlete playing football, and Lewis is a football player
To be clear, I Totally agree with you on Lewis. Guess it's just Jones we see much differently on. He'll be in the Pro Bowl this year or next IMO and probably should have been in last year. I Liked Lewis better than Awuzie for this year until he didn't really play at all in the preseason then I wasn't sure what to expect from him year 1. I do Still Like Awuzie (if he can ever get on the field), but I'm even higher on Lewis than I was before the year. There is no way he should have lasted to the 3rd round. We could have a really good DB by year end if Awuzie can show anything and they get Woods on the field more and he continues to improve. Glad we already cut Carroll and I don't think Scandrick is on the team next year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where those stats are from. Jones has 4 more tackles this year all 3 places I looked but I'm not really interested in continuing the discussion. I've read your comments this year and I've watched him play. I'm good with my opinion and with yours differing. Personally I thank God Byron Jones is on this team

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, I Totally agree with you on Lewis. Guess it's just Jones we see much differently on. He'll be in the Pro Bowl this year or next IMO and probably should have been in last year. I Liked Lewis better than Awuzie for this year until he didn't really play at all in the preseason then I wasn't sure what to expect from him year 1. I do Still Like Awuzie (if he can ever get on the field), but I'm even higher on Lewis than I was before the year. There is no way he should have lasted to the 3rd round. We could have a really good DB by year end if Awuzie can show anything and they get Woods on the field more and he continues to improve. Glad we already cut Carroll and I don't think Scandrick is on the team next year

Pro Bowl? Lots of good safeties in the NFC.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where those stats are from. Jones has 4 more tackles this year all 3 places I looked but I'm not really interested in continuing the discussion. I've read your comments this year and I've watched him play. I'm good with my opinion and with yours differing. Personally I thank God Byron Jones is on this team

Byron Jones Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
It has his Tackles wrong for some reason - perhaps forgot to update that stat after last week?

Even with correction both are credited with 23 solo tackles, and Jones 7 assisted to Lewis' 3. To be clear I'm happy to have Jones, but in the context of this discussion I think Lewis is already the better football player. I'm good with leaving it there.

It's unfortunate that Awuzie hasn't been able to see the field much. I'm very curious to see how they utilize him when he eventually gets healthy. I like him as an in the box Safety.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro Bowl? Lots of good safeties in the NFC.

Yea, Jones was not Pro-Bowl caliber last year. The talent level at the position is very strong. Just don't see it this year, either. He doesn't do enough to impact the game in my opinion. Solid starter, not pro-bowl yet.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Jones was not Pro-Bowl caliber last year. The talent level at the position is very strong. Just don't see it this year, either. He doesn't do enough to impact the game in my opinion. Solid starter, not pro-bowl yet.

I should say lots of big name safeties since I haven't seen all of them play this year. Now AFC, he might be in the top 2-3.