• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 weeks in

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think T Will has had some really big catches this year
I think T Will has had some really big drops this year

So, I guess I'm torn.
But I love him as a blocker. Very underrated role in this offense IMO

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, I guess I'm torn.

He is on pace to do what he always does. 45-50 catches. His YPC is down. I just don't think he is going to be the down field threat he once was anymore. Butler has had chances downfield this yr and has succeeded. A few of those have been 50/50 ish though. In other words, we aren't going to make a living doing that.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, I guess I'm torn.

One could argue that "TRex" Williams cost Dallas the Green Bay game. I mean seriously, look at the pick 6, Williams did his best impersonation of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. If that play doesn't happen, or Williams at least knocks it down with his brick hands, the Cowboys probably win the Green Bay game.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One could argue that "TRex" Williams cost Dallas the Green Bay game. I mean seriously, look at the pick 6, Williams did his best impersonation of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. If that play doesn't happen, or Williams at least knocks it down with his brick hands, the Cowboys probably win the Green Bay game.
also wasnt it T-Rex that dropped the 2 pt conversion (well amongst his drops)

I like that nickname for him BTW :heh:

for a guy that is supposed to be our #2 he plays like a bubble guy

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's every game. You can take 5 -10 what ifs every game and change the outcome. I put most of the blame on him but it wasn't the best of throws and he was looking back in the sun. The placement wasn't bad. I thought the touch was. The problem is Twill tends to find himself in these situations, whether it's not running out of bounds, crucial drops, etc.

Again we can point that play out, but you can also point out the two minute drill before the half that should have gotten points.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comes in motion. Sits right on the Tackles ass and we run behind him a few times a game even though the D knows it's a key. Not something you want to do that often with a WR. That's why he is starting. Great WR? Definitely not. Better than Butler? Probably, but close. Helps this team? Yes. Replaceable? Certainly

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comes in motion. Sits right on the Tackles ass and we run behind him a few times a game even though the D knows it's a key. Not something you want to do that often with a WR. That's why he is starting. Great WR? Definitely not. Better than Butler? Probably, but close. Helps this team? Yes. Replaceable? Certainly

The bolded line is definitely up for debate. And if you ask me right now, Butler is/would be a more valuable contributor.

I don't see Williams' blocking as more valuable than Butler's receiving. Linehan can scheme someone else in there to fill Williams' shoes on designed runs where he is an integral blocker.

Off the top of my head, Hanna could probably do the job just fine for now. Next year, I think Noah Brown is the guy that the coaching staff would really like to groom for Williams' role. Having Hanna in there might tip the offenses hand a little bit, but as you said, we aren't exactly fooling anyone now.

Butler in the lineup as opposed to Williams gives the offense a deep threat that has to be accounted for. So many teams shorten up the field against the Cowboys offense these days due to the lack of a legitimate vertical threat. Butler can be that guy that forces defenses to stretch out a little, and help give everyone else a little more breathing room.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you suggest replacing T Will with Hannah you didn't understand my point. We already have Hannah in there at times and if you add a TE it alerts even more so to a run. T Will has had some big catches for us too. I'm not saying he's great at all. But Butler is not great either and is a poor blocker. We need to find a good #2 WR to play on the outside for sure because Beasley is only a slot guy. Butler has had plenty of chances. All he has to do is play better and he'll win the job. Also, T Will doesn't play as many snaps as the average starting WR. Switzer and Brown will get more snaps out there this year too for sure.
YTD snap %:
T Will 63%
Beasley 57%
Butler 32%

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably worded that last post poorly, I'm not suggesting replacing TRex with Hanna at all. Only suggesting that instead of those designed run plays where Williams is motioned in, Linehan could run something else utilizing different personnel. Instead of running 3 wide sets and motioning Williams in to serve as a defacto second TE as often, just use a actual TE. Instead of using Williams in "12" personnel and motioning him inside, just run 3 TE sets. On the flip side of that, consider running "12" personnel group more often - but instead of Williams outside you have Butler pairing with Dez. Now with a more potent threat outside play action becomes more of a weapon, and then defenses have to respect the deep ball more, further opening things up for the run game and the underneath passing game.

I'm not saying there isn't room on this team for Williams and what he brings to the table, but I think it's time to see a more equitable distribution of the snaps at the second outside WR position.

As you and I have both acknowledged, it's not as though defenses are fooled by Williams motioning inside. Switching up the personnel and changing the look wouldn't hurt from time to time. Sure, Dallas probably sacrifices some downfield blocking with Williams on the sideline, but what the offense would gain would be much more dynamic.

Williams just doesn't command enough respect in the passing game from opposing defenses, IMO.

I'd be interested to see what kind of yardage Dallas gains on run plays where Williams is a featured blocker? The term featured blocker just sounds stupid to me, and I might have just made that up, but I digress...

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understood what you meant. My point was it allows us to run more out of 2 or 3 WR sets and perhaps do so against a nickel defense. If we go with 2 TEs the defense will adjust. That doesn't help.
I agree others should see PT and the best should play more. As of right now they already are. Many #2's play 80-90% of snaps. T Will is nowhere near that. We already switch up personnel often.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love the T-Rex Williams!!!

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying any of you are wrong. I just have always wondered what do you expect from a 5th option in the passing game on a running team.

I expect him to play much better and with more situational awareness. He is a veteran for gods sake. He makes a mistake for ever 3 catches it seems and his mistakes seem to be doozies.

It seems like I say say "way to go t will" and then "way to fucking go fucking t will" in about every game.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect him to play much better and with more situational awareness. He is a veteran for gods sake. He makes a mistake for ever 3 catches it seems and his mistakes seem to be doozies.

It seems like I say say "way to go t will" and then "way to fucking go fucking t will" in about every game.

But don't you do the same when Byron Jones misses a tackle or gives up a TD

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But don't you do the same when Byron Jones misses a tackle or gives up a TD

Hey, this is a pile on t will thread.........:D

So far we have had several missed tackles this year that have been huge. B Jones was just one of them.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my thought on the highlights I watched. Zeke is a beast. On that screen pass Noah brown had a nice block and did not allow the guy he was blocking to touch zeke. The problem with the defense is lack of playmaker in the secondary. Or is it the scheme? Cowboys gAve up a big play when Lewis let his guy go. Heath was so far out of position it was not funny. You may as well just have 10 defenders on the field when heath is in there. I say make jaylon a designated pass rusher and send him on the blitz more often. Until he is 100% let him stay close to the line. The pass rush is nasty now that Irving is back. Cooper finally showed up. Cooper looked good and looked nasty. Now I want to see Noah brown go against Josh norman. Brown will kick norman's ass in the run game. To me TWILL is not much better than brown or butler. I also want to see Rico score a couple touch downs against the skins.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you suggest replacing T Will with Hannah you didn't understand my point. We already have Hannah in there at times and if you add a TE it alerts even more so to a run. T Will has had some big catches for us too. I'm not saying he's great at all. But Butler is not great either and is a poor blocker. We need to find a good #2 WR to play on the outside for sure because Beasley is only a slot guy. Butler has had plenty of chances. All he has to do is play better and he'll win the job. Also, T Will doesn't play as many snaps as the average starting WR. Switzer and Brown will get more snaps out there this year too for sure.
YTD snap %:
T Will 63%
Beasley 57%
Butler 32%
I am going to say Noah brown can be #2 next season. He is a ferocious blocker and I think he can make teams pay. I hope to see more of brown going forward. I also think it is time for Rico to make his debut. Rod Smith should be the second in line behind zeke.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to say Noah brown can be #2 next season. He is a ferocious blocker and I think he can make teams pay. I hope to see more of brown going forward. I also think it is time for Rico to make his debut. Rod Smith should be the second in line behind zeke.
I'm not sure having Noah Brown opposite Dez is a great idea when you have Witten and Beasley in the middle of the field. Everyone would be all bunched up within 15 yards of the LOS. But I do like Brown

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More for heath then jones, but both. are bad.
If everyone in our secondary was as good as Jones we'd have only lost one game this year.