• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 reasons why the NFL got Deflategate punshiment wrong

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure some of you know Drew Magary who writes for Deadspin. He HATES the Pats and everything about them. But he wsn't comfortable with the ruling, either:

Now you know. Now you know that, in Roger Goodell’s batshit crazy universe, the greatest crime of all is defying authority. Tom Brady just got locked in the attic for four games this fall, and it wasn’t REALLY because he dicked around with the ball (a crime that, as already noted in many other places, has been met with a relative slap on the wrist elsewhere), but because—and here I will use the wording of the letter Troy Vincent had dictated to him by Goodell—the Patriots QB “failed to cooperate fully with the investigation.”

That’s what costs you four games and $2 million in salary in today’s NFL. This is because Roger Goodell is a shit-eating moron. Under his watch, the NFL has adopted the very American legal tradition of manufacturing crime out of crime. You can take a small crime—any crime, really—and you can inflate it by making the PROCESS of pursuing that crime utterly sacrosanct, to the point where an entity like the NFL says, with a straight face, that “The extent to which the club and relevant individuals cooperated with the investigation” is somehow one of the most important factors in determining if a man—even one as wildly successful and wealthy as Tom Brady—should be allowed pursue his livelihood and collect his paycheck.

Brady’s crime isn’t that he doctored balls, it’s that he didn’t SUBMIT. In fact, it doesn’t even matter if Brady DID doctor the ball or not, because the NFL would still carry out the investigation like so:

NFL: Hey, give us your phone.

Brady: Um, no.

NFL: Whoa! Sounds like you got something to hide, buddy boy!

You see how that works? The original crime becomes irrelevant next to the NFL’s insistence that—if under investigation—you bend over and let them drip hot wax all over your balls, or else. Making everyone obey every last protocol of a bullshit internal probe is a hell of a way to invent new powers for yourself. This is how Sean Payton found himself out of the league for a YEAR strictly for the crime of “ignorance” during Bountygate ... a satellite offense so far removed from the original crime as to be applicable to your grandma as well.

The NFL is now in the business of punishment, and with the completely arbitrary and stupid machine they’ve put in place, they can pretty much punish anyone for any reason in any way now. In the case of the Patriots, I find all this hilarious because the Patriots and their fans are entitled assholes and I want them to fail. But of course, it won’t be so funny when my team accidentally farts on a ref and tries to cover it up and then Goodell moves them to Alaska as punishment. There is no stopping this shit-eating moron anymore. You never know when he’ll strike or why. He’s almost like an act of God. Yes, yes I think he’d enjoy thinking of himself in precisely that way.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you didnt read the report huh?

Yes I did see the report. They deflated the balls in the bathroom and it's obvious from the texts between the two guys that Brady had a heavy hand in it. They cheated. They got caught. There's obviously a culture of this sort of thing there given the fact that 2 out of the 4 super bowl runs have ended with a cheating scandal.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I did see the report. They deflated the balls in the bathroom and it's obvious from the texts between the two guys that Brady had a heavy hand in it. They cheated. They got caught. There's obviously a culture of this sort of thing there given the fact that 2 out of the 4 super bowl runs have ended with a cheating scandal.

Ding Ding ding

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not obvious, its more probable than not. you know what that means?

51.1% vs 49.9%

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not obvious, its more probable than not. you know what that means?

51.1% vs 49.9%

It's clear as day to me. You're just hoping the clown can somehow weasel his way out of it. If 12.5 is the number, you don't think that training them to get the balls to 12.5 using a pump that a 10 year old can operate is a better idea than going into the bathroom and taking a needle to them?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear as day to me. You're just hoping the clown can somehow weasel his way out of it. If 12.5 is the number, you don't think that training them to get the balls to 12.5 using a pump that a 10 year old can operate is a better idea than going into the bathroom and taking a needle to them?
51.1 vs 49.9

which do you have?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penis and all

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dirt, that writer you bumped also writes about daytime TV and jeopardy.

"bump"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common sense?
ok

which is common sense?

5.1.% he did

or 49.9% he didnt

its easy. i can have my 9 year old nephew pick for you if you cant. his names zach.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump
Seriously...That should've been a year ban and $1 mil + fine.

An OWNER with a drug problem and an arrest. You think that "reflects negatively on the shield"? Ray Rice punches his GF in the face ON CAMERA and gets 2 games. Nah, that doesn't shed any negative light on the NFL, either. It's perfectly normal to have every women's group protesting the NFL. But Tom Brady maybe playing with a football that is 2% below the rules is the REAL issue out there.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is
Lol

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dirt, that writer you bumped also writes about daytime TV and jeopardy.

"bump"

CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, Fortune & Deadspin all grilling Goodell over this punishment. In his defense? A guy who is more in tune with the Kardashians than the NFL. Great choice.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this part from the article you posted above:

'And, yes, someone with a pro-Brady agenda could poke so many holes in the report that it’d come out looking like Swiss cheese."

That's all I need to hear. The lawyers are going to have a field day.
What I think he's trying to say is that Brady fans are delusional.

Which is proven in all these threads by butt-hurt fans trying to defend him like he did no wrong.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been down this road

"All writers bashing the Boston team are useless"

"Those defending my team are Pulitzer Prize worthy"

As usual

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More intelligence from Deadspin and actual sports writers:

The punishment is a fucked-up overreaction from a league hyperdesperate to protect its image—it’s no accident that the NFL cited “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football.”

The league threw the book at the Patriots for the worst and most absurd reasons. Two specifically named in the statement announcing the discipline was Brady’s and the team’s failure to self-incriminate, as if any employee should ever cooperate with an investigation of himself;and the fact that the Patriots are considered repeat offenders for something that happened eight years ago, even though the NFL went out of its way to make clear that Ballghazi didn’t extend to the echelons of the organization that would have been involved with Spygate.

Goodell has been getting away with his arbitrary and unjustifiable judgments for a long time, because he’s always known he has the backing of the handful of owners that matter. Now he’s going after one of them, and that bears close watching. It’s still early in this farce, but no marionette has ever been well-served by attacking its own puppeteer.