• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, doesn't look 100%. Tough times call for tough decisions. Right now of Playoff percentage is 80.4. Last week it was over 90%.

Based on the trends, I figured our number would be even lower...Lol I guess it's because there are only 9 teams still really in the race for 8 spots. Only one of them gets completely left out.

You can imagine though, taking Simmonds off the top unit (while he's playing) when he's been dominant in that area for a long, long period of time might send the wrong signal to players and/or fans.

I won't even get into the racial side of it, but there's that too...Lol

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. They had 50 wins and 108 points last season and still got wiped 4-1 in round one. They are presumably not as strong this season. If they don't win the Cup now (very likely), they will be worse yet again next season. Bunch of pending UFA's and RFA's, $4.5 million wrapped up in buyouts and 4 fewer picks than originally over the next few seasons. That's not a recipe for success in my book. They are a win-now team that isn't close to winning anything. That's worse off than us.
Pens use that recipe every year and win the cup. :tsk:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens use that recipe every year and win the cup. :tsk:

What recipe? Tanking for four straight seasons to get generational talent within the first two picks year after year? Still relying on it to this day.

If you want to win like a pussy, then yes, let's do what Shitsburgh did.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What recipe? Tanking for four straight seasons to get generational talent within the first two picks year after year? Still relying on it to this day.

If you want to win like a pussy, then yes, let's do what Shitsburgh did.
Ummm who's talking about tanking? I didn't post that. Did you read that in my post or was it the voices in your head?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm who's talking about tanking? I didn't post that. Did you read that in my post or was it the voices in your head?

Nah man, that's what the Pens did. They were horrible to the point of almost moving. While they were horrible they built up their team with draft selections:

Orpik (00)
Armstrong
Whitney
Talbot
Fleury (03)
Malkin (04)
Goligoski
Kennedy
Crosby (05)
Letang (05)
Staal (06)
Strait
Bortuzzo
Rust
Bennett
Maatta
Murray
Guentzel (13)

All of whom played roles in their Cup wins. Build through the draft. When the window opens, trade for help to get there. They weren't making 'buyers' moves in 05 and 06 as those guys started coming in to the picture. They started buying in 08 when they moved Armstrong, Christensen, Esposito, 1st, 2nd, 5th for Gill, Dupuis, and Hossa. Didn't pan out completely for them in that season, but they made the final and won the next year. And thus their window opened. They spent 10 years, the prime seasons of Crosby, Letang, Malkin, and Fleury, "buying" at the deadline and making cup runs. And now that window is starting to close. The prospect pool is barren, the current lineup is aging and expensive. That's the cycle of a team built to contend for cups. That's the cycle the Flyers are just beginning.

The Flyers are just getting there. It's the first couple seasons for the big names. Next season you start looking at the window opening.

And the Flyers did it without being a basement dwellers for 4 seasons. And I mean BASEMENT dwellers. Coyotes and Sabres bad. The best season they had between 01 and 07 was a putrid 69 points.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah man, that's what the Pens did. They were horrible to the point of almost moving. While they were horrible they built up their team with draft selections:

Orpik (00)
Armstrong
Whitney
Talbot
Fleury (03)
Malkin (04)
Goligoski
Kennedy
Crosby (05)
Letang (05)
Staal (06)
Strait
Bortuzzo
Rust
Bennett
Maatta
Murray
Guentzel (13)

All of whom played roles in their Cup wins. Build through the draft. When the window opens, trade for help to get there. They weren't making 'buyers' moves in 05 and 06 as those guys started coming in to the picture. They started buying in 08 when they moved Armstrong, Christensen, Esposito, 1st, 2nd, 5th for Gill, Dupuis, and Hossa. Didn't pan out completely for them in that season, but they made the final and won the next year. And thus their window opened. They spent 10 years, the prime seasons of Crosby, Letang, Malkin, and Fleury, "buying" at the deadline and making cup runs. And now that window is starting to close. The prospect pool is barren, the current lineup is aging and expensive. That's the cycle of a team built to contend for cups. That's the cycle the Flyers are just beginning.

The Flyers are just getting there. It's the first couple seasons for the big names. Next season you start looking at the window opening.

And the Flyers did it without being a basement dwellers for 4 seasons. And I mean BASEMENT dwellers. Coyotes and Sabres bad. The best season they had between 01 and 07 was a putrid 69 points.
The Pens tanking is in 2005 has no bearing on the conversation of them making pick ups in 2016 and 2017 and 2018 at the deadline and winning cups the last two years and may get another this season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaz will you make me feel warm and fuzzy about Sanheim. It looks like everyone out there is moving at a speed of a hare and he looks like he plays at the speed of the tortoise.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens tanking is in 2005 has no bearing on the conversation of them making pick ups in 2016 and 2017 and 2018 at the deadline and winning cups the last two years and may get another this season.

Uh, yeah it does. They're called Crosby and Malkin. Ever heard of them? Changes the game a tad.

They aren't in the position now to buy at every deadline without first tanking to get two generational players (among others).

Thank God it can no longer be done with the draft lottery now in play.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You posted about following the Pens' "recipe" for success and quite frankly, it was tanking.

So no, I'd rather not tank. It doesn't pay off like it used to with new rule changes and it's also a pussified way to do things.

You can build from within via the draft without tanking for a top two pick each and every year. We are just beginning to prove it, having stacked our farm system and now slowly infiltrating the big squad with that same talent.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, yeah it does. They're called Crosby and Malkin. Ever heard of them? Changes the game a tad.

They aren't in the position now to buy at every deadline without first tanking to get two generational players (among others).

Thank God it can no longer be done with the draft lottery now in play.
Um we have a Giroux and Jake but i dont see any cups in our trophy case.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You posted about following the Pens' "recipe" for success and quite frankly, it was tanking.

So no, I'd rather not tank. It doesn't pay off like it used to with new rule changes and it's also a pussified way to do things.

You can build from within via the draft without tanking for a top two pick each and every year. We are just beginning to prove it, having stacked our farm system and now slowly infiltrating the big squad with that same talent.
i posted about Columbus being another team who made pick ups at the deadline and were trending up. Pens using that recipe for winning cups.You posted about the Pens tanking

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um we have a Giroux and Jake but i dont see any cups in our trophy case.

Don't make me do this.

I love Giroux and Voracek. They are elite level players, but they are not Crosby and Malkin and we did not tank to get them either.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It absolutely does though. They built the core of their team with the draft picks acquired due to those tanks. And yes, the Flyers do have Giroux and Voracek, but 1st off, as much as we'd like to believe it, they're not Crosby and Malkin. And second, the Flyers haven't had a Letang comparison until maybe this year (Ghost) and they still don't have a Fleury comparison (although they might have one soon with Hart).

What the Pens did 10-15 years ago absolutely has an impact on the team they have today. Those guys are still the core of their team (minus Fleury obviously).

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i posted about Columbus being another team who made pick ups at the deadline and were trending up. Pens using that recipe for winning cups.You posted about the Pens tanking

Lol You've got to be shitting me. In order to buy at the deadline AND win Cups, you need to first have the team in place to be able to do that. Columbus isn't there and neither are we.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers are in a position to do exactly what the Pens have done the past 10-15 years, or do it even better. In the early portion Giroux and Voracek play the part of the 'stars carrying the team'. With Couturier et al providing depth. In 2-4 years as they become the 'veteran leadership', Couturier/Patrick/Frost/Konecny/Provorov/Ghost/Hart fill the 'stars carrying the team' mantle. All the while having all these other draft picks like Strome, Ratcliffe, Allison, Marody, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel filling the Colby Amstrong, Pascal Dupuis, and Chris Kunitz type depth roles.

I know you want them to compete this season and every season, but they are SO close to being an absolute force. They're going to destroy teams year in and year out and have the draft picks, assets, AND cap space to be that "best in the league already then they traded for the biggest fish at the deadline too" type team. Just a little more patience las.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaz will you make me feel warm and fuzzy about Sanheim. It looks like everyone out there is moving at a speed of a hare and he looks like he plays at the speed of the tortoise.

Admittedly I couldn't watch closely last night. But at the start of the season everyone within the organization praised his speed. All the analysts and pundits raved about his skating in juniors coming up. I don't know if the defense will ever catch up, but Sanheim's skating and offensive production will be something to make you smile, I can pretty much guarantee you that.

As long as he doesn't get Hak'd.

(I say that a bit in jest. As much as I don't like Hak's game management, I do think he's developing players well. Konecny has been great this year. Ghost has been great this year. Patrick is really starting to come on. And we moan about guys like Manning, Lehtera, etc. stealing time from Lindblom or Sanheim, but the Flyers are incredibly young in key areas. I don't think he can really get blamed for not wanting to ice half a roster of guys less than 3 years in to their pro careers.)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean just look at what they've stockpiled. Obviously some of these guys have to develop, but they're looking at putting out a roster of mostly 1st round picks in the near future.

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Konecny
Provorov
Sanheim
Morin
Rubtsov
Laughton
Patrick
Frost

(if they ice all those guys at the same time that's 52% of your roster drafted in the first round)

Along with guys who have shot up the prospect ranks after getting drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round:

Simmonds
Hart
Ghost
Hagg

Or guys who "would've been a 1st round pick if he re-entered the draft instead of signing with the Flyers"

Myers