• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers are in a position to do exactly what the Pens have done the past 10-15 years, or do it even better. In the early portion Giroux and Voracek play the part of the 'stars carrying the team'. With Couturier et al providing depth. In 2-4 years as they become the 'veteran leadership', Couturier/Patrick/Frost/Konecny/Provorov/Ghost/Hart fill the 'stars carrying the team' mantle. All the while having all these other draft picks like Strome, Ratcliffe, Allison, Marody, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel filling the Colby Amstrong, Pascal Dupuis, and Chris Kunitz type depth roles.

I know you want them to compete this season and every season, but they are SO close to being an absolute force. They're going to destroy teams year in and year out and have the draft picks, assets, AND cap space to be that "best in the league already then they traded for the biggest fish at the deadline too" type team. Just a little more patience las.
If we picked up Maroon who is a big hard nose forward which we sorely need since Simmer is not doing it any more and Grabner for the draft picks the other teams got in return we would've all but assured ourselves a playoff spot this year and still had all of those players mentioned above to compete in future years. We could've tip toed into the playoffs this year and got the current young guns some valuable playoff experience. Im not counting us out this year since i think we will still make the playoffs but it seems all teams that made deadline deals are surging and we are slipping and using valuable energy which is taking its toll on our players just to try to get in.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacyznski and Marody are two of the best players in NCAA, both All-Big Ten this season (that's 2 out of 3 forwards that get that honor). These guys are barely on the radar for the best Flyers prospects.

Frost was voted the smartest player, best playmaker, and best stickhandler in the entire OHL this season (coaches). He's also +71 in like 68 games! "The Hounds are a powerhouse mostly because of Frost" - Pronman when asked if he's just benefiting because they're stacked.

Hart has been the CHL goalie of the year two years in a row and is an absolute shoe-in to win it again this year with a completely absurd .950 save percentage. Next best in the league has only played 19 games but still has just a .927.

Kalynuk made the All-Freshman Big 10 team

Hogberg played solid minutes in the 3rd best league in the world this season and was reward with a new contract.

Sushko was a beast for a totally outgunned Belarus team at the WJC and managed nearly a point per game in the OHL this season. Not bad for a guy projected to compete for a 4th line spot.

13 players in the OHL have 37 or more goals this season, 3 of them are Flyers guys (Frost, Strome, Ratcliffe)

The Phantoms are 40-16-3, 2nd best record in the AHL.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacyznski and Marody are two of the best players in NCAA, both All-Big Ten this season (that's 2 out of 3 forwards that get that honor). These guys are barely on the radar for the best Flyers prospects.

Frost was voted the smartest player, best playmaker, and best stickhandler in the entire OHL this season (coaches). He's also +71 in like 68 games! "The Hounds are a powerhouse mostly because of Frost" - Pronman when asked if he's just benefiting because they're stacked.

Hart has been the CHL goalie of the year two years in a row and is an absolute shoe-in to win it again this year with a completely absurd .950 save percentage. Next best in the league has only played 19 games but still has just a .927.

Hogberg played solid minutes in the 3rd best league in the world this season and was reward with a new contract.

Sushko was a beast for a totally outgunned Belarus team at the WJC and managed nearly a point per game in the OHL this season. Not bad for a guy projected to compete for a 4th line spot.

13 players in the OHL have 37 or more goals this season, 3 of them are Flyers guys (Frost, Strome, Ratcliffe)

We would still have all of these guys even if went made some deadline deals. We are so rich in the farm system along with future picks it wouldn't have mattered if we went shopping this season and made a couple of pick ups.Who knows if Gee is going to have another 100 point season of if Jake can lead the league in assists and if Couts returns to his offense we saw the first 6 years. It would've been nice to try this season and still be stocked for the next 5 years all while having playoff experience.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we picked up Maroon who is a big hard nose forward which we sorely need since Simmer is not doing it any more and Grabner for the draft picks the other teams got in return we would've all but assured ourselves a playoff spot this year and still had all of those players mentioned above to compete in future years. We could've tip toed into the playoffs this year and got the current young guns some valuable playoff experience. Im not counting us out this year since i think we will still make the playoffs but it seems all teams that made deadline deals are surging and we are slipping and using valuable energy which is taking its toll on our players just to try to get in.

I think we'll make the playoffs too, but i'm still very happy they didn't add. It's not time. I don't want to add in the hopes you get lucky and make a deep run. Save the bullets.

Add when you're additions take you from contender to favorite. Not when they take you from bubble team to playoff lock.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can also remember when posts were going up like this the year after we lost to Chicago in the cup. We have done jack since then. So i stand by if you have a chance to go for it you should.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can also remember when posts were going up like this the year after we lost to Chicago in the cup. We have done jack since then. So i stand by if you have a chance to go for it you should.

Anyone who said that at that time was off their rocker. The best prospect the Flyers had that wasn't on the team for that run was Maroon. Combined, the prospects they had at that time have 369 NHL points (74% of them are Maroon and Sbisa). We're approximately 644 regular season games past that. So half a point per game from the entire 2010 prospect pool of the Flyers. Konecny, Ghost, and Provorov alone have 268 NHL points in a combined 502 games.

They had 1 pick in the top 2 rounds over the previous 3 seasons (Sbisa). Contrast that with now, where after this year's draft the Flyers will have had 10 picks in the top 2 rounds over the previous 3 seasons.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These fringe playoff teams that bought at the deadline are not going to win the Cup as a result of it. Why? They didn't have enough on their team to begin with. There are powerhouse teams that also bought at the deadline and are far better off. You can't compare these two groups of teams that both bought at the deadline as if they are equal...Lol

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you look at these franchises in comparison to the powerhouse teams like Philly. The Devils and Blue Jackets probably need that playoff ticket revenue to support their balance sheet. The Flyers can afford to miss out.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who said that at that time was off their rocker. The best prospect the Flyers had that wasn't on the team for that run was Maroon. Combined, the prospects they had at that time have 369 NHL points (74% of them are Maroon and Sbisa). We're approximately 644 regular season games past that. So half a point per game from the entire 2010 prospect pool of the Flyers. Konecny, Ghost, and Provorov alone have 268 NHL points in a combined 502 games.

They had 1 pick in the top 2 rounds over the previous 3 seasons (Sbisa). Contrast that with now, where after this year's draft the Flyers will have had 10 picks in the top 2 rounds over the previous 3 seasons.
We had Carter and Richards Coburn Gee Parent that were all supposed to be part of Stanley cup teams going forward. you can bring up their stats now and they look like crap but at the time that team was supposed to win at least one cup.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These fringe playoff teams that bought at the deadline are not going to win the Cup as a result of it. Why? They didn't have enough on their team to begin with. There are powerhouse teams that also bought at the deadline and are far better off. You can't compare these two groups of teams that both bought at the deadline as if they are equal...Lol
I didn't realize the Pens who bought at the deadline were a fringe playoff team.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you look at these franchises in comparison to the powerhouse teams like Philly. The Devils and Blue Jackets probably need that playoff ticket revenue to support their balance sheet. The Flyers can afford to miss out.
Lets not try and let the other teams in because we dont need the money. I guess this is logical since we have a guaranteed cup in the next year or two. :L

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. They had 50 wins and 108 points last season and still got wiped 4-1 in round one. They are presumably not as strong this season. If they don't win the Cup now (very likely), they will be worse yet again next season. Bunch of pending UFA's and RFA's, $4.5 million wrapped up in buyouts and 4 fewer picks than originally over the next few seasons. That's not a recipe for success in my book. They are a win-now team that isn't close to winning anything. That's worse off than us.
The core is all 25 or under and Bobrovsky still has 4-6 more years in his prime.

PLD
Panarin
Werenski
Jones
Milano
Bjorkstrand

This is not a win now team. I think they are maybe 2 years away from being a serious contender though. Last years numbers were a result of the insane winstreak. This year they've leveled off. Still missing a top 6 center, a top 6 winger, and we need to get defense 3-6 figured out. The window is just opening though, not coming to a close.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not try and let the other teams in because we dont need the money. I guess this is logical since we have a guaranteed cup in the next year or two. :L

You have no basis for your argument other than “anyone can win once you get in”. The flyers aren’t good enough this season to win the cup. Sorry you don’t see that, but it’s the truth. And grabner and maroon don’t get them there. That’s just a fact. You think adding what, two third line wingers gets them there? That’s craziness. The flyers defense after ghost and Provorov is just flat out not good enough to win a Stanley cup. You can’t win a cup with four 3rd pair at best dmen.

Enjoy the fact that they play some good hockey here and there and have an incredibly bright future. Stop complaining about every trade (or lack thereof) that doesn’t improve the current roster with not a care in the world about the future. The future when they DO have a chance to win cups.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize the Pens who bought at the deadline were a fringe playoff team.

I'm sorry, but are you pretending to be an idiot to piss me off or just being yourself? Lol I literally cannot tell.

Who said the Pens were a fringe playoff team? What the fuck are you talking about? I said simply that you're comparing fringe playoff teams like NJ and Columbus (who bought at the deadline) to perennial powerhouse teams like Pitt (who also bought at the deadline).

You can't make that comparison. Yes, those teams all bought, but just because a team bought at the deadline doesn't mean they are suddenly a true Cup contender. That's not how this works.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The core is all 25 or under and Bobrovsky still has 4-6 more years in his prime.

PLD
Panarin
Werenski
Jones
Milano
Bjorkstrand

This is not a win now team. I think they are maybe 2 years away from being a serious contender though. Last years numbers were a result of the insane winstreak. This year they've leveled off. Still missing a top 6 center, a top 6 winger, and we need to get defense 3-6 figured out. The window is just opening though, not coming to a close.

It's more of a win-now team than we have, that is for certain. I hear you, but you do have some older vets too like Vanek, Dubinsky, Foligno, Johnson and now Letestu. You also bought at the deadline obviously, as Lasgop has kindly mentioned...Lol

Panarin is turning 27 this year and only has one season left on his deal, then is an UFA. Not sure how much of a core guy he is, how much of a raise he'll want or whether he even wants to stay.

You lose a bunch of those vets this offseason and need to give new contracts to Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Murray and Nutivaara. Like I said, the $4.5 million in buyouts for next season doesn't help either. The overall cap money might be tight to put a better team out there next season, but the young guys will grow, I'm sure.

Bob is obviously an elite netminder, but also only has one year left on his deal, turning 30 this year. Not sure how many years he has left in his prime. Tough to say when the window opens too, for me, or whether it is open now already.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have no basis for your argument other than “anyone can win once you get in”. The flyers aren’t good enough this season to win the cup. Sorry you don’t see that, but it’s the truth. And grabner and maroon don’t get them there. That’s just a fact. You think adding what, two third line wingers gets them there? That’s craziness. The flyers defense after ghost and Provorov is just flat out not good enough to win a Stanley cup. You can’t win a cup with four 3rd pair at best dmen.

Enjoy the fact that they play some good hockey here and there and have an incredibly bright future. Stop complaining about every trade (or lack thereof) that doesn’t improve the current roster with not a care in the world about the future. The future when they DO have a chance to win cups.

Agreed. It's like this. I would much rather forfeit an 8% chance to win the Cup this year (or whatever our odds would've been if we had bought at the deadline) for a much larger chance at winning it every year 2-3 years from now when we are actual contenders to begin with.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

You think we have guys not performing or a team that is struggling!?!

All of our player/team issues pale in comparison to what's going on in St. Louis:

21-8-2 on December 10th

16-20-3 since then

Currently 11th in the west, 4 points out of a tie for the final playoff spot.

Schenn, often getting 20+ minutes per night, has produced 8 points in his last 19 games, a 34 point pace across a full season.

That guy would probably get us a Cup.

I'll let you two buddies suffer with only one of these posts, if only out of sheer mercy...Lol
You should try to come out of your shell and have a sense of humor sometime, does wonders for you.