• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Very encouraging to hear about Kaepernick as I was always of the belief that once he got down going through progressions and reading defenses everything else would fall into place. Once he becomes confident at what he sees out there I believe he'll be very very good passing the ball. Even more encouraging is it's from Grant Cohn who's always Debbie Downer when it comes to things.

Also very encouraging to read about Roman and the offense. I've been very critical of our pass play design and it's good to know the staff is able to look back and see what can be done better rather than stubbornly keep the same thing in place and blame it on execution.

I don't completely follow his logic on Ward. Expecting him to go toe to toe physically against Boldin arguably the most physical WR in the league isn't playing to his strengths. Most DBs in the league are going to get outmuscled by Boldin 1 on 1 so I don't really think of that as a strike against him.

What I expect Ward to do is hawk the ball and keep up with the likes of Harvin, Cobb, Austin, Welker, etc not go out there and try to out physical guys. That's what Cully is for to take on the bigger physical WR. That's not to say I don't believe Ward couldn't bulk up a bit and learn to become more physical but it's just not something that will be a forte of his.

Agreed with this. Boldin is arguably the most physical WR in the league, and almost certainly the most physical slot receiver. I'm more concerned about Ward's ability to play speed than sheer physicality. If another team trots out a particularly physical slot receiver, then maybe we play someone else on top of him.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am apparently not allowed to message anyone or start a thread. I have not done anything or said anything to anyone. I would like to know why I have had those privelages taken away please? I am a long time poster here that has never caused problems so again please if I could have an answer I appreciate it.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens running back Bernard Pierce got "blown up in individual pass protection drills against the 49ers' linebackers, beaten badly three straight times and left doubled over, while [coach John] Harbaugh happened to be standing literally right next to him watching," reports CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora.

La Canfora made the observation at a joint Ravens-49ers practice. La Canfora believes Ray Rice will get the bulk of the carries upon his return from a two-game suspension.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Offense looks awesome. Kap has thrown like 15 TDs against the Ravens in these 3 practices. I think we are going to be one of the higher scoring teams in the league this year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Lynch proves his hunger to thrive with 49ers | CSN Bay Area

Encouraging to hear about Lynch and hopefully he's another diamond in the rough.

Loved the pick in the draft because I believe it's the kind of low risk, high reward kind of gambles teams in our position need to make if they expect to be good for the foreseeable future.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One hell of a draft class by Baalke this year. With Ellington, Lynch, Johnson, Ward and Hyde looking really good.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch is going to be Aldon 2.0. He will be a Beast for us. Also I like Johnson at CB. He will be a starter soon.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Lynch is going to be Aldon 2.0. He will be a Beast for us. Also I like Johnson at CB. He will be a starter soon.

Lynch is going to be the best (or tied for the best) OLB in the NFL? That'd be great, but I think you're setting the bar unrealistically high.

Besides, he's already up to 276 pounds. His future is at DE not OLB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Joe Looney film study, 49ers-Ravens Preseason Game - Niners Nation

I tend to agree that Looney wasn't as bad as people thought.

What concerns me is really Kilgore. It seems like he has the mental part of the position down but he just might not be strong enough for the C position.

We'll have to see in this upcoming preseason game. The 1st preseason game tends to be rough around the edges for guys that haven't seen a lot of game reps so I don't like to hit the panic button on anyone until games 2 and 3.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Looney film study, 49ers-Ravens Preseason Game - Niners Nation

I tend to agree that Looney wasn't as bad as people thought.

What concerns me is really Kilgore. It seems like he has the mental part of the position down but he just might not be strong enough for the C position.

We'll have to see in this upcoming preseason game. The 1st preseason game tends to be rough around the edges for guys that haven't seen a lot of game reps so I don't like to hit the panic button on anyone until games 2 and 3.
I agree about the preseason in that this is why they play them...to address the talent on the field. I'm hoping Martin will be the C over Kilgore and possibly Snyder over Looney but I need to see more on the field.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch is going to be the best (or tied for the best) OLB in the NFL? That'd be great, but I think you're setting the bar unrealistically high.

Besides, he's already up to 276 pounds. His future is at DE not OLB.
Lynch is a LB buy I'm curious as to who you think he could replace as a DE?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Lynch is a LB buy I'm curious as to who you think he could replace as a DE?

This year? Probably nobody. He'll need another year or so to get stronger. He isn't even "replacing" a linebacker; they'll have to have one less roster spot at another position 'cause the team already has 1 more OLB (including Lynch) than last year. That is unless they cut Skuta or move Skuta to ILB.

But at 276 Lynch's future probably isn't at OLB.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year? Probably nobody. He'll need another year or so to get stronger. He isn't even "replacing" a linebacker; they'll have to have one less roster spot at another position 'cause the team already has 1 more OLB (including Lynch) than last year. That is unless they cut Skuta or move Skuta to ILB.

But at 276 Lynch's future probably isn't at OLB.
I know about the bolded part. The last I looked he is 3rd in the depth chart for ROLB behind Aldon and Skuta. I really want to see more of this kid before thinking he might make a good DE anyways.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does the 9er QB depth chart stand right now?
1. Kaep
2. Johnson
3. Bethel-Thompson
4. Uncle Rico

Will Rico even make the team?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree about the preseason in that this is why they play them...to address the talent on the field. I'm hoping Martin will be the C over Kilgore and possibly Snyder over Looney but I need to see more on the field.

I can only see Martin starting if Kilgore gets injured. I think the team would rather someone that has the mental game down at C than someone who might be better physically but doesn't have the mental part down.

I fully expect Martin to be very much in the mix for C next year though but that depends on what happens to Iupati and our redshirt guy Brandon Thomas.

Looney is a better option than Snyder. Snyder just plain isn't that good and isn't going to get better but he's able to stick around because he knows the offense and he's kind of the ideal emergency guy because he can play all 5 spots. But Looney's issues are ones so far that are correctable and it looks like he might wind up being our best pass protecting G which wouldn't be a bad offset since Iupati is pretty meh at pass pro and Kilgore looks like he might be pretty meh in pass pro as well.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
in addition to that, not one iota of news on his "character issue".

Seemed like his character issues had to do with being immature than being just a bad person.

To me those are issues that are easily and very fixable if the a person really wants to mature and put himself on a path of success.

So far it sounds like he's doing what he's supposed to and it appears he understands that he doesn't have a long rope and he could be a great football player and thus a rich man if he's committed to going through the process of what it takes to be great.