• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers at Saints

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win is a win is a win. I don't know what happened to the offense in the 2nd half but again it seems like teams make some amazing adjustments and we don't do anything to change it. Weird, but we had a great first half and despite 14 points the D really played well in the 2nd half/overtime. Loved backups playing out of their minds to get us the win. I would love to see the offense put in a complete game, but hey, I am really not going to complain. GO NINERS!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win is a win is a win. I don't know what happened to the offense in the 2nd half but again it seems like teams make some amazing adjustments and we don't do anything to change it. Weird, but we had a great first half and despite 14 points the D really played well in the 2nd half/overtime. Loved backups playing out of their minds to get us the win. I would love to see the offense put in a complete game, but hey, I am really not going to complain. GO NINERS!

Hopefully, this is the start of something big. Frank Gore promised the playoffs. I will believe.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But seriously, who would you draft? Or which free agent QB would you be targeting? Or maybe you are thinking of a trade. That's fine if you think most can replicate Kaep's winning record, but if you are trying to make the team better, who would you bring in?

Free agents I would be looking at Matt Moore, Jason Cambell, Brian Hoyer, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Jake Locker are all guys that could be just as successful as Kaep with this team and coaching staff.

As far as the Draft I am not up to speed on this years prospects. but at qb, I usually dont buy the top QB prospects as better then the rest of the bunch. so I could conceivably see the 49ers taking a mid to late round prospect to develop and be happy with that.

As far as i know Kaeps contract is reasonable for this year and next season. So I am not expecting or calling for him to be replaced now. I am simply saying that Kaep production could be replaced by a rookie or a FA If that is a direction the Team wants to go.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agents I would be looking at Matt Moore, Jason Cambell, Brian Hoyer, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Jake Locker are all guys that could be just as successful as Kaep with this team and coaching staff.

As far as the Draft I am not up to speed on this years prospects. but at qb, I usually dont buy the top QB prospects as better then the rest of the bunch. so I could conceivably see the 49ers taking a mid to late round prospect to develop and be happy with that.

As far as i know Kaeps contract is reasonable for this year and next season. So I am not expecting or calling for him to be replaced now. I am simply saying that Kaep production could be replaced by a rookie or a FA If that is a direction the Team wants to go.

If those are the options, then Kaep is our guy for the foreseeable future. That's all that I am saying when I said there's no one better on the horizon. I can't see us bringing back someone like Shaun Hill. It would be a joke. We've been down that road before.

Sure, we could always spend a mid to late round pick on a QB prospect, but we would do that anyway regardless of how well our current QB is playing. I don't think just any rookie or FA would replace Kaep's production. And who cares if we could find someone who just replaces Kaep's production. If we are going to make a change, we might as well find someone who is better. Kaep's contract is rather team-friendly, so it's not like his contract is currently a hindrance to the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I like Mariota as a prospect, but getting him would be costly.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think there is a weird assumption that there is this amazing pool of QBs to pick from...when there really isn't? Everyone always screams NEW QB NEW QB but in reality there isn't that many "elite' QBs (I'd say six at best). You either get a sure thing (Luck) because you have the first pick or you happen to get lucky (Wilson) in like the third or later rounds. It's a tough job finding a perfect QB. I don't think we need a new one btw, I think Kap is good enough, I just think it's weird people always claim he has to go while offering no one to replace him.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew, what a game. Seems like they give me a heart-attack every time we play the Saints.

Seahawks and Cardinals are both losing at the moment. We're not dead yet.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew, what a game. Seems like they give me a heart-attack every time we play the Saints.

Seahawks and Cardinals are both losing at the moment. We're not dead yet.

We're very much alive still. Frank Gore said so and I will believe him. I'm really glad he said that. It's perfect because he doesn't guarantee a victory over a specific team (hence, no bulletin board material) while at the same time he motivates his teammates to play better.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If those are the options, then Kaep is our guy for the foreseeable future. That's all that I am saying when I said there's no one better on the horizon. I can't see us bringing back someone like Shaun Hill. It would be a joke.

Sure, we could always spend a mid to late round pick on a QB prospect, but we would do that anyway regardless of how well our current QB is playing. I don't think just any rookie or FA would replace Kaep's production. And who cares if we could find someone who just replaces Kaep's production. If we are going to make a change, we might as well find someone who is better. Kaep's contract is rather team-friendly, so it's not like his contract is currently a hindrance to the team.
His contract is not currently a hindrance, but that will change in a couple years if Kaep doesnt progress and i dont expect him to, honestly. And I dont see him taking a pay cut, so getting a guy for the future will be necessary this off season.
I was taking exception to your original post because you said there are no other options on the Horizon which isnt the case in my opinion because in a couple years there will be better options based solely on Kaepernick collecting a rather large pay check for production that could be replicated by a QB with a much cheaper price tag.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract is not currently a hindrance, but that will change in a couple years if Kaep doesnt progress and i dont expect him to, honestly. And I dont see him taking a pay cut, so getting a guy for the future will be necessary this off season.
I was taking exception to your original post because you said there are no other options on the Horizon which isnt the case in my opinion because in a couple years there will be better options based solely on Kaepernick collecting a rather large pay check for production that could be replicated by a QB with a much cheaper price tag.

By on the horizon, I meant some other QB we could actually see at the moment who is the clear solution. Right now there is no such person. It's definitely not Shaun Hill.

Teams are always looking at other options/contingencies no matter how good their current QB is, so I don't really see what your point is about how perhaps a better QB option (whether that be production-wise and/or salary cap-wise) will present itself in the future. It's no fun discussing such generalities; let's talk about specifics. Kaepernick's base salary will steadily rise, but so will the salary cap. The beauty of his contract is that we can cut him at any time with relatively minor salary cap consequences. So yeah, right now he is our guy, so unless there's some better QB out there who we have a clear path to acquiring, I'm not going to get too excited.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By on the horizon, I meant some other QB we could actually see at the moment who is the clear solution. Right now there is no such person. It's definitely not Shaun Hill.

Teams are always looking at other options/contingencies no matter how good their current QB is, so I don't really see what your point is about how perhaps a better QB option (whether that be production-wise and/or salary cap-wise) will present itself in the future. It's no fun discussing such generalities; let's talk about specifics. Kaepernick's base salary will steadily rise, but so will the salary cap. The beauty of his contract is that we can cut him at any time with relatively minor salary cap consequences. So yeah, right now he is our guy, so unless there's some better QB out there who we have a clear path to acquiring, I'm not going to get too excited.

Agreed then. At this time, I cant see somebody available that could do better then Kaep.

At this time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game. I like exactly how it went. Brees had a chance and didn't come through. Obviously, had he come through I would've been upset with not scoring on our first possession of overtime. But to have it happen the way it did and have a ref call the right call at the end of regulation, perfect.