• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Packers regular season thread

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that doesn't mean anything as it's history, but I recall the Pack losing about 5 games like that the first year Rodgers started. I like that they actually pulled this game out. Now I hope they don't take the Giants lightly as they're coming off their bye week and the Packers can't celebrate like they've actually accomplished something this season. They could actually go and get themselves some playoff experience with a very young team. That could pay real dividends in the future.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big win against one of the better defenses in the league (#4 scoring/#3 yards). Had been giving up 17 points/297 yards and Packers offense got 27 points/382 yards. Rush defense still poor... 5.9 yards carry and 148 yards.

Nixon interception and holding KC to FGs on first 2 drives the difference.

Love looked pretty good, some very good throws, spread the ball around pretty good and % is improving. Not sure what to think about 33 yard Doubs catch, that looked like a prayer. Took a bad sack on last offensive series to push FG attempt back.

Have to like how the young WRs are stepping up... really like Reed and Wicks as rookies. Hopefully Watson injury not serious, but not optimistic.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im at a loss for words but i'll try. Gotta say i didnt see this coming. They are starting to look like a well oiled machine. Love looks like a different QB out there and i dont know where the turning point was but hopefully it continues. Man, im going to give the coaching staff kudos as well. Their game plan allowed this short staffed squad to be successful. Before the game the announcers were talking up KC's defense and i thought it would be a tough night for GB. Not really, Love and company had a lot of success moving the ball.

The biggest negative i would comment on is the run defense. IMO, anytime you give up over 100 yards not only to a player but the entire team, will be an issue in post season.

That said, the question that comes to mind is...with the success the team is having lately without some of their starters, what does that say about who is missing?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im at a loss for words but i'll try. Gotta say i didnt see this coming. They are starting to look like a well oiled machine. Love looks like a different QB out there and i dont know where the turning point was but hopefully it continues. Man, im going to give the coaching staff kudos as well. Their game plan allowed this short staffed squad to be successful. Before the game the announcers were talking up KC's defense and i thought it would be a tough night for GB. Not really, Love and company had a lot of success moving the ball.

The biggest negative i would comment on is the run defense. IMO, anytime you give up over 100 yards not only to a player but the entire team, will be an issue in post season.

That said, the question that comes to mind is...with the success the team is having lately without some of their starters, what does that say about who is missing?
The recent success has a lot to do with increased steadiness of the offensive line, the steady maturation of the WR corps and LaFleur's adjustments in play-calling concepts. All three aspects still have significant room for improvement, but the Packers just proved these last two games that they've got enough talent and depth to play with just about anyone in the league. I've been saying all along that the talent exists but cohesion is lacking and we're starting to see proof of that.

The Packers D has been reasonably consistent most of the season - even in the losses, the D largely did their job and the O is what faltered. Barry's defensive concepts are to prevent big passing plays, keep everything in front of you and rally to the ball for tackles when the D forces the opposing QB to dump it off underneath - the "bend, don't break" concept. It's basically the same thing Capers did. And that concept will always be susceptible to the run unless you've got NFL superstars at ILB and S. Against a QB like Mahomes, that concept can be reasonably effective - and last night it mostly was; especially when your DL can get home with no extra bodies.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recent success has a lot to do with increased steadiness of the offensive line, the steady maturation of the WR corps and LaFleur's adjustments in play-calling concepts. All three aspects still have significant room for improvement, but the Packers just proved these last two games that they've got enough talent and depth to play with just about anyone in the league. I've been saying all along that the talent exists but cohesion is lacking and we're starting to see proof of that.

The Packers D has been reasonably consistent most of the season - even in the losses, the D largely did their job and the O is what faltered. Barry's defensive concepts are to prevent big passing plays, keep everything in front of you and rally to the ball for tackles when the D forces the opposing QB to dump it off underneath - the "bend, don't break" concept. It's basically the same thing Capers did. And that concept will always be susceptible to the run unless you've got NFL superstars at ILB and S. Against a QB like Mahomes, that concept can be reasonably effective - and last night it mostly was; especially when your DL can get home with no extra bodies.
I thought they were going to struggle the entire season. Nice to see them making some strides. If they continue to play at this level i can see them making the playoffs. IMO, Barry's defensive style will be one of the reasons they will exit early. The 49ers proved that several years ago in the playoffs when they ran the ball down GB's throat. The Packers dont have any superstar ILBs or Safeties so im not sure what the solution is.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recent success has a lot to do with increased steadiness of the offensive line, the steady maturation of the WR corps and LaFleur's adjustments in play-calling concepts. All three aspects still have significant room for improvement, but the Packers just proved these last two games that they've got enough talent and depth to play with with just about anyone in the league. I've been saying all along that the talent exists but cohesion is lacking and we're starting to see proof of that.

I think the OL is playing much better than earlier in the year even with the small rotations of Nijman and Rhyan coming in for 1-2 series a game now. Jenkins and Runyan are solid guards, Myers having his best year at center and I really like Tom at right tackle. Walker is decent... but I suspect a tackle to be drafted high this year.

Really starting to like the last 2 drafts of the Packers... if these players continue to improve and grow the Packers could have something very special in 1-2 years.

IMO both Eagles and 49ers would be very difficult matchups... Ravens from the AFC. Physical teams that run the ball well still present a lot of issues due to poor Packers run defense. I actually do like our ILBs with Campbell and Walker... safety does need improving.

5 games remaining... if Packers win 4 and finish 10-7 I would assume Joe Barry keeps his job... unless defense falls off and offense is covering them. Honestly the rush defense is frustrating for me... preseason with Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Brooks, Wooden up front, thought they finally had the beef to be more stout.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple things. Keisan Nixon is a moron. Not only did he not fumble a punt, he had the presence of mind to fall on it, but it wasn't good enough for that idiot to make up for his mistake, he decided it would be better to fumble it a 2nd time. On the final drive of the game, he peeks into the backfield and lets his man run past him for the big gain to get the Giants into easy FG range. While he wasn't the only problem, his were glaringly stupid, and game changers.

Also, I have no idea what LeFleur was watching, but those sweeps and reverses didn't work after the 1st play in the 2nd half and he needed to stop calling them. He needs to become an actual real life football coach with this young team and have them all ready, not just parts of the team, all of them. It was pretty clear to me that these guys looked at the schedule and started penciling in Ws. Those aren't given, they are earned and if they don't get their heads out of their asses they're going to blow a fantastic opportunity for themselves as a team to get some playoff experience. Just like the Atlanta game, this was a winnable game, but they didn't show up ready to play and got their asses handed to them. Congrats on not being ready to play and reading their press clippings.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple things. Keisan Nixon is a moron. Not only did he not fumble a punt, he had the presence of mind to fall on it, but it wasn't good enough for that idiot to make up for his mistake, he decided it would be better to fumble it a 2nd time. On the final drive of the game, he peeks into the backfield and lets his man run past him for the big gain to get the Giants into easy FG range. While he wasn't the only problem, his were glaringly stupid, and game changers.

Also, I have no idea what LeFleur was watching, but those sweeps and reverses didn't work after the 1st play in the 2nd half and he needed to stop calling them. He needs to become an actual real life football coach with this young team and have them all ready, not just parts of the team, all of them. It was pretty clear to me that these guys looked at the schedule and started penciling in Ws. Those aren't given, they are earned and if they don't get their heads out of their asses they're going to blow a fantastic opportunity for themselves as a team to get some playoff experience. Just like the Atlanta game, this was a winnable game, but they didn't show up ready to play and got their asses handed to them. Congrats on not being ready to play and reading their press clippings.
Additionally, last night:
-Love's passing accuracy sucked
-Both tackles sucked
-The Prevent defense on the last drive of the game sucked (I've always hated that)
-The refs sucked
-The Giants equally sucked in all areas

Both teams deserved to lose.

:L

Throughout the game, my brother and I were texting each other. Early in the 4th quarter, he posed a question: "If you could replace LaFleur with Jim Harbaugh this offseason, would you do it?"

My answer was and still is "no", but there's plenty to contemplate.
My primary reasoning:
-I don't trust Harbaugh to stick around. He might make this team more disciplined with greater short term success, but he's probably going to bolt in short order and where will we be then?
-Harbaugh is 59. He's likely past his peak. LaFleur is 44 and is still has a lot of growing left in him. He's been reasonably successful thus far. I could see him growing along with this young team and provide greater long term success.
-Harbaugh is going to be way more expensive for what I believe will be a minimal short term gain and long term loss.

What say you guys? Would you replace LaFleur with Harbaugh and why?

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, quick disclaimer: i did not watch the game. Looking at the stats, highlights, articles and comments it appears GB couldnt maintain the high level of play we witnessed the past couple of games. They almost had me fooled but i wasnt all in because i have seen this movie before. Honestly, i was impressed by the KC and Detroit games. Losing to a bad Giants team is a head scratcher. Other than the turnovers, lack of focus and piss poor run defense, in a nut shell, here is why they lost:
last NY drive-
1702389348545.png

GB defense couldnt get a stop at the end. Even if they win out, my opinion that Barry has to go will not change.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, quick disclaimer: i did not watch the game. Looking at the stats, highlights, articles and comments it appears GB couldnt maintain the high level of play we witnessed the past couple of games. They almost had me fooled but i wasnt all in because i have seen this movie before. Honestly, i was impressed by the KC and Detroit games. Losing to a bad Giants team is a head scratcher. Other than the turnovers, lack of focus and piss poor run defense, in a nut shell, here is why they lost:
last NY drive-
View attachment 348402

GB defense couldnt get a stop at the end. Even if they win out, my opinion that Barry has to go will not change.
That last drive of the game should've been for the tie to head into overtime. LaFleur called a jet sweep on their 2-point try. That was dumb. Those plays are good when you've got a lot of open field to work with - when you can send your receivers deep and push the secondary back and open up the field, not when you're trying to punch it in from the 2 yard line. Quick hitting runs can work in that situation; long-developing runs do not. I would've liked it a lot better if they faked the jet sweep left and bootlegged to the right with the option for Love to run it in or pass to a TE on a chip & out or a WR crossing from the left.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last drive of the game should've been for the tie to head into overtime. LaFleur called a jet sweep on their 2-point try. That was dumb. Those plays are good when you've got a lot of open field to work with - when you can send your receivers deep and push the secondary back and open up the field, not when you're trying to punch it in from the 2 yard line. Quick hitting runs can work in that situation; long-developing runs do not. I would've liked it a lot better if they faked the jet sweep left and bootlegged to the right with the option for Love to run it in or pass to a TE on a chip & out or a WR crossing from the left.
I think that play would have worked on GB's defense unfortunately. Maybe that's why MF called it. He figured it works on his defense so it must work on everybody's. :L

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that play would have worked on GB's defense unfortunately. Maybe that's why MF called it. He figured it works on his defense so it must work on everybody's. :L
For the most part, GB's D was keeping Barkley in check. He broke off a couple runs, but were stuffing him at the line of scrimmage pretty well most of the game. The Packers defensive line was the only position group that I thought played a good game. I think the Packers D would've stuffed a jet sweep on a 2-pt try too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... very frustrating game after what we saw the last 2 games. As others said, think they took this game for granted.

- Love started out with some errant throws.. then the fumble (really question the call and why he did not continue to the outside)... unsure on interception what he saw... no way that was open and then the underthrow made it all that worse
- Nixon... got a game ball last week and had a horrible game Monday... fumble that he should have just fell on and beat on last series giving up big play when looked at backfield
- Special teams... read some where they were 32nd in league.. was a bit surprised. But last night all kinds of issues... 2 15 yard penalties, missed FG and fumble
- Defense... yet another game giving up over 200 yards... had to check, Packers #31 in rush yards allowed/game (142.... Broncos #1 at 144)
- Pass rush... how stupid can you be... MLF even commented on it in the presser, so why was it not fixed earlier. Packers just rushed up field, created huge lanes for a mobile QB to run. This is basics with rushing mobile QB... Joe Barry gets a big F for this game in preparing his defense with issues of pass rush and giving up 200+ yards rushing again. I really hope he is gone after this year... even if Packers back in playoffs.
- As noted before... what was with all the sweeps, sweep on 2 pt conversion very much a head scratcher... MLF admitted in presser a bad call (duh)

Well... on to TB at Lambeau.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... on to TB at Lambeau.
GB was bound to lose one of these games against the Giants or Bucs. The Bucs are currently a greater threat to playoff hopes than NYG, so if I had to choose to lose one of them, I would've chosen losing to @NYG. I have some level of confidence that GB will bounce back and play a decent game against Tampa and get a win.

Most of us had L's scratched on the schedule next to @DET and vKC, so even with the loss last night we're still ahead of where we thought we'd be this time last month.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, GB's D was keeping Barkley in check. He broke off a couple runs, but were stuffing him at the line of scrimmage pretty well most of the game. The Packers defensive line was the only position group that I thought played a good game. I think the Packers D would've stuffed a jet sweep on a 2-pt try too.

Maybe the stats are wrong but the Giants ran over 200 yards.

1702394044567.png

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, the Giant's tried running wide for their 4th down attempts and it failed...twice.

I don't quite understand the thinking of running wide on short yardage. I'm not talking about running dives, but faster developing plays tend to be more effective in short yardage plays.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good news I see in this game is they're a very young team and there is plenty of mistakes to correct, the biggest one to me is being ready to play. They came out flat and didn't show any kind of solid effort on O until after the Barkley fumble to try to give them the game. Everyone on this team should be embarrassed by that effort.

I guess we get to find out if LaFleur is a coach that recognizes that they were flat, or were reading their press clippings and gets their focus back on their jobs. They're young and probably need a foot in their behinds, so now's a good time to give it to them.

It's also probably a good time for LaFleur to give them a good look at the film and all the bullshit juking when they should be putting their pads down and heading up field. Tired of watching Dillon trying to make moves like he's Barry Sanders when his pads should be low and heading towards the goal line. Tired of watching Nixon make 30 steps for 2 yards of punt return.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... very frustrating game after what we saw the last 2 games. As others said, think they took this game for granted.

So, the question that goes thru my head is...If the claim is true, how does this happen? Personally, if true, i place the blame on the coaches. Yea, the players need to be held responsible as well but the coaches have to be able to teach these young players not to be complacent. Coaches dont have any control over turnovers and bad bounces but they should be able to keep the team motivated and sharp regardless of who they play.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the Giant's tried running wide for their 4th down attempts and it failed...twice.

I don't quite understand the thinking of running wide on short yardage. I'm not talking about running dives, but faster developing plays tend to be more effective in short yardage plays.

So, your saying there's hope for the defense after all? lol.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, your saying there's hope for the defense after all? lol.

I'm saying running wide on short yardage is very often a fail.